25-Nov-2011 Quick Poll: RuneFest 2012 Location

Mercifull

If they held it in Chicago or LA, people would get robbed constantly.

Who would be daring enough to be robbing someone who has a lvl 99 str cape in real life? :ohnoes: *put on nerd goggles**has a nerd moment just like Conan O'Brian*

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the Brits complaining about high prices if it was held in the USA, it costs American fans a hell of a lot of money to travel to the UK for things like this. Lodging in London is expensive, and airplane tickets to the UK can easily cost $1500 or more. By the time you consider transportation, lodging, food, airfare, etc., that's quite a bill.

As for the US having a lot of gamer conventions while the UK barely has any, that's irrelevant. The majority of us have never even heard of those conventions, so it's not like we're having all the fun over here while you guys get nothing. It's almost like saying "Well, this country has too many tourist attractions, so they deserve to have less!"

Also, this is slightly off-topic, but I believe that Jagex should consider something like Blizzard did recently and offer Runefest on PPV television. Maybe they could somehow give you a unique code if you order the program, and you could redeem that for an item, just as if you actually went to the event. Jagex still gets their money, and people are happier.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

They should have it in Seattle. New York City is nooby. LA is ok but still nooby, what is Chicago?. London had it 2 times already. I joke though, out of all those options I'd only attend the LA one, but still will be a $500 weekend. 2bad, LA is gonna lose anyways, oh well still got pax

Edit: Although tbh, for the American city I was pretty sure LA would be the leading one, but even Chicago is pulling in more votes. New York is so 1990s :(.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

HONOLULU

Agreed. At least, I would finally have my excuse to go to Hawaii.

Linux User/Enthusiast | Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Voted for new york. I intend to drive there if it goes. I'm thrilled it finally has a chance to come to the states. Feel really bad for UK players though. EDIT: Woo, new york is winning at 33%. I know it's not guaranteed, but that's a good sign.

Should I open up a TIF bed and breakfast for the days before/during/after? Hmm. I do make a mean pancake.

hzvjpwS.gif

Having it outside of England would be a big mistake imo.

They have always been there, why should they change?

The job of operating from England for having Runefest in USA and then traveling there when Runefest takes place would be too much work for the chance of a higher number of people going there.

Besides, England is closer to me then USA. :P

Two years ago there wasn't even a convention. I would hardly say that the location is set in stone. Yes, overall players are probably going to say London, but it's not as outrageous as some people are making it out to be to envision at least one year in the states.

hzvjpwS.gif

Two years ago there wasn't even a convention. I would hardly say that the location is set in stone. Yes, overall players are probably going to say London, but it's not as outrageous as some people are making it out to be to envision at least one year in the states.

I think it would be quite outrageous as a waste if budget.

Jagex wasting a large chunk of cash on flying like half the runescape team over to the USA + hotel costs is kinda outrageous in my book; I mean UK london they can commute cambridge > london and all their runefest props are this side of the pond so again massive chunk of cash on shipping or on buying all new props.

Plus all precedent of gaming conventions is the country the game comes from is where the official convention happens; so it would be borderline outrageous (or atleast unusual) in that respect.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Jagex wasting a large chunk of cash on flying like half the runescape team over to the USA + hotel costs is kinda outrageous in my book; I mean UK london they can commute cambridge > london and all their runefest props are this side of the pond so again massive chunk of cash on shipping or on buying all new props.

So you'd rather they waste a large chunk of cash designing another awful website overhaul instead? :mad:

London is cool. I'll be allowed back in the country by newt year's convention.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

It's possible that if they get enough people to come, and raise ticket prices a bit higher, that they will cancel out those extra costs. Not saying it's definite, just possible.

93/99 Fishing --- 22/74 Summoning

I'll achieve my goals, even if I have to crawl towards them.

Always accepting donations of living minerals, fishing urns, granite crab pouches, etc.

[hide=Thanks to]Silvermist82, Byzantus, Eka-iridium, emers8529, Octarine, A Local Guy, ezeeipancake, and Thor ls Here[/hide]

To all the Brits complaining about high prices if it was held in the USA, it costs American fans a hell of a lot of money to travel to the UK for things like this. Lodging in London is expensive, and airplane tickets to the UK can easily cost $1500 or more. By the time you consider transportation, lodging, food, airfare, etc., that's quite a bill.

It's not a hassle for Brits only, I'm guessing the Europeans would prefer the UK too due to costs as well.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

It's not a hassle for Brits only, I'm guessing the Europeans would prefer the UK too due to costs as well.

No matter where they hold it, costs will be an issue for the people of one country or another.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

You must realise a lot of the Runescape playerbase is from USA. I don't need solid numbers to know that, because having Runefest in UK 3 times in a row, and not once in the USA is excluding a good number of players regardless.

Seeing as 3/4 of the poll options are locations in America, I think Jagex is already pretty much planning on bringing Runefest to the States.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Voted for London, however, I do find it dissapointing there were no options for the European mainland, like in Germany or the Netherlands. Costs are very high to travel the channel for most of us. On the main land, you can take the train to most European countries for an acceptable price. Also, you got to know: the Dutch community is the second biggest in RS and with the other languages (and countries) so close to each other, somewhere in Western-Northern Europe would make sense.

One thing you have to count in too is that for anyone from the US going to England for it, it's going to cost you about the same. Whether from LA or New York to London, you're going to take a long plane ride and it's going to cost a lot. The costs for coming from the West Coast aren't that much in addition.

But if you hold it in the US, the cost of going from NY to LA or vice versa is going to be roughly the same, minus the costs for passports and stuff.

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

Didn't see this posted on the thread after a quick glance over but...

With the Olympics being in London in 2012 around the time RuneFest is usually held, maybe it is a good idea to just have it at a different location to avoid all the travel mayhem (imagine how much the hotel costs are gonna be during that time of year with all the athletes and attendees needing accommodations, how many tourists are gonna be present most likely, etc.). I think this fact alone may also increase the cost of travel to the UK as well. :|

Didn't see this posted on the thread after a quick glance over but...

With the Olympics being in London in 2012 around the time RuneFest is usually held, maybe it is a good idea to just have it at a different location to avoid all the travel mayhem (imagine how much the hotel costs are gonna be during that time of year with all the athletes and attendees needing accommodations, how many tourists are gonna be present most likely, etc.). I think this fact alone may also increase the cost of travel to the UK as well. :|

Erm wut?

Olympics are in like June for about 2 weeks.

Runefest has been sept/oct.

Also Athletes always live in a purpose built Olympic village, along with all the trainers etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Erm wut?

Olympics are in like June for about 2 weeks.

Runefest has been sept/oct.

Also Athletes always live in a purpose built Olympic village, along with all the trainers etc.

21 June 9 September 2012. You still will have a ton of people in the area for a good while after that after watching the Olympics.

First RuneFest was held in August. This year it was held in October. We don't know when Jagex will be holding Runefest next years, but if they continue to hold it around those months, it may still be quite busy in London even after the Olympics with tourism and all.

I think amiatwork meant the people attending, not to mention the reporters/TV crews covering, the Olympics would be taking up all the hotel rooms.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I think amiatwork meant the people attending, not to mention the reporters/TV crews covering, the Olympics would be taking up all the hotel rooms.

Yea. My bad there clumping the whole group of people together. XD

Plus all precedent of gaming conventions is the country the game comes from is where the official convention happens; so it would be borderline outrageous (or atleast unusual) in that respect.

You yourself mentioned the vast difference in population. Whatever 'waste' you see in the budget can easily be made up for in the drastically increased volume of attendants. And who honestly cares about precedence in this case? They're constantly breaking it. The argument you're making can easily be turned on its head because the majority of their players don't come from the UK alone.

hzvjpwS.gif