Runescape gets a facelift - google news

Urza285

If you use this link:

http://kotaku.com/5874658/runescape-is-getting-a-facelift-heres-some-art/gallery/1

You can see all this concept art in greater detail. And you can also see the Dragonkin image with an actual in game screenshot! Hello possible Dragonkin quest!

Given the note from Robert, we're pretty much guaranteed that quest.

8f14270694.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep saying RS is good for a browser game. Sure, it is, but there's no point in keeping it browser based. If they had made the game client based from the start we could have enjoyed better and faster graphics and more potential for improvement. Browser based games are appealing to casual gamers looking for a quick fun, but it's kind of a joke when you're used to playing serious games.

2480+ total

People keep saying RS is good for a browser game. Sure, it is, but there's no point in keeping it browser based. If they had made the game client based from the start we could have enjoyed better and faster graphics and more potential for improvement. Browser based games are appealing to casual gamers looking for a quick fun, but it's kind of a joke when you're used to playing serious games.

I believe a BIG part of Runescape's success is based on it's accessibility. It's the top of browser games in terms of quality and gives it some reputation as well. Plus, the developers at Jagex right now are familiar with this engine, this kind of development - I don't think making it client based would be better for Runescape.

I believe a BIG part of Runescape's success is based on it's accessibility. It's the top of browser games in terms of quality and gives it some reputation as well. Plus, the developers at Jagex right now are familiar with this engine, this kind of development - I don't think making it client based would be better for Runescape.

I don't think it would make sense for them to change RuneScape like that now. The horse bolted about five years ago, there was some talk about a physical PC release and even a Nintendo DS release but they never came to fruition and it's too late to start. As an aside though, it should be noted that browser-based games are horrible when you need to spend literally tens of thousands of hours on the thing to get anywhere near "finishing" it, and we live in the age of fibre optic broadband, which itself only opens up the question: "Why am I still suffering 20 FPS average and getting lagged out on a 20 meg Internet connection?"

Yeah, but compare it with another java-based game. Say, minecraft for example. Both available for download, and able to be run in browser.

hzvjpwS.gif

Yeah, but compare it with another java-based game. Say, minecraft for example. Both available for download, and able to be run in browser.

You can play Minecraft in your browser now?

queste.png303/324

You can play Minecraft in your browser now?

Yes, if you're playing the shitty "no fun allowed you can only place blocks good luck" classic mode available in the browser.

That is opposed to the still shitty "now with added monsters that will destroy your beloved creations than rape you in the mouth" full release available for download only.

Either way, both versions look like garbage and have hardly any content in them. I don't "hate" Minecraft, it's still fun to play time to time, but it's just a sandbox and nothing more. I mean, when was the last time you played in an actual sandbox? The game leaves too much to your imagination and the rest is bare bones.

Runescape looks like (and is in almost every other way) diamonds compared to Minecraft. Hardly surprising, seeing as Minecraft was half-coded half-stolen by a lone, lazy, fedora-wearing neckbeard.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

These two look dragonkin related

[hide]xlarge_fe6587bf3a3c1fe02b78760c01dd8485.jpg

xlarge_69207385d87d9e8d631cd469ac9572ef.jpg[/hide]

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the cave area below the Dorgesh Kaan agility course?

[hide]xlarge_002db9400540d4567491ba4f2d19d30b.jpg[/hide]

Yeah that looks like Ardy.

[hide]xlarge_78b2baa5e1f6f72380f3eca195971780.jpg[/hide]

Jabba!!!!

[hide]xlarge_542523b7c470c769fe382372f32830da.jpg[/hide]

Entrance to TzHaar city!?!? :o :o :o :o :o :o

[hide]xlarge_5862956068cb2668e6b4d10e8ca874f1.jpg[/hide]

[hide=Drops]Dragon: Spear x1, Med helm x3, legs x2, pickaxe x1, skirt x3, scimitar x1

Barrows: DH helm x1, Verac Brassy x2, Karil Skirt x1, Ahrim Hood x2, Guthan Spear

GWD: Arma Helm x1

Other: Handcannon x4, Leaf Bladed Sword x3[/hide]

Considering they run in game in the browser and with Flash, I'd have to say they do a remarkable job with the graphics. To upgrade to the level of detail in the picture Ring World posted, they'd probably have to move to a downloadable program like games such as WoW use.

RuneScape is already downloaded and installed on your hard drive, check C:\.jagex_cache_32 or C:\users\(your Windows account name)\.jagex_cache_32.

That's a 48KB .dll file. I'm talking about a multi-gigabyte application file. Many other MMO's do it, and can get great graphics for only a couple of gigs of hard drive space.

Being able to run RS in the browser on dial-up was a noble ambition 6 or 7 years ago, but it's horribly outdated. I think they'd attract more new players than they would lose with a major engine upgrade that required this type of download and broadband internet. Heck, they could even implement Blutters' idea and run both.

You are talking about RS right? RS is not made in Flash but Java ;)

Yeah, that was pointed out already. Guess I've been playing too many flash games lately. So I'm not perfect. My ex-wife would be the first to agree with that. :P

Is it too late to chastise Kaida for the "Flash" comment? I mean, it's such a rare mistake I'd like the opportunity to rub it in! :lol:

nyuseg.png

[hide]

Considering they run in game in the browser and with Flash, I'd have to say they do a remarkable job with the graphics. To upgrade to the level of detail in the picture Ring World posted, they'd probably have to move to a downloadable program like games such as WoW use.

RuneScape is already downloaded and installed on your hard drive, check C:\.jagex_cache_32 or C:\users\(your Windows account name)\.jagex_cache_32.

That's a 48KB .dll file. I'm talking about a multi-gigabyte application file. Many other MMO's do it, and can get great graphics for only a couple of gigs of hard drive space.

Being able to run RS in the browser on dial-up was a noble ambition 6 or 7 years ago, but it's horribly outdated. I think they'd attract more new players than they would lose with a major engine upgrade that required this type of download and broadband internet. Heck, they could even implement Blutters' idea and run both.

You are talking about RS right? RS is not made in Flash but Java ;)

Yeah, that was pointed out already. Guess I've been playing too many flash games lately. So I'm not perfect. My ex-wife would be the first to agree with that. :P

[/hide]

Is it too late to chastise Kaida for the "Flash" comment? I mean, it's such a rare mistake I'd like the opportunity to rub it in! :lol:

C'mon kids, everybody laugh at the dancing clown! I juggle too. :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Until females look like this concept art in Runescape

xlarge_fcf1ab17746b6377a3a239732800c621.jpg

I won't be returning

I'd just be happy if I knew more women in real life that looked like that. Especially if they're willing to get dirty smithing on an anvil. :wink:

Well, I am not sure about other women in game, but I swear that my Runescape breasts have gotten larger ... :unsure:

And the waists have gotten smaller. Pixelated plastic surgery anyone? :lol:

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Until females look like this concept art in Runescape

xlarge_fcf1ab17746b6377a3a239732800c621.jpg

I won't be returning

I'd just be happy if I knew more women in real life that looked like that. Especially if they're willing to get dirty smithing on an anvil. :wink:

Well, I am not sure about other women in game, but I swear that my Runescape breasts have gotten larger ... :unsure:

And the waists have gotten smaller. Pixelated plastic surgery anyone? :lol:

So Kotaku wasn't that far off after all: not a facelift, just a little enhancement surgery!

I'm not an efficienado.

• 2 weeks later...

The early rs2 cow-demon isn't even there.

Also, the girl is

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Linza

as most of yous already know.

Soon people will think dirty about Linza, Ariane and Kuradal.

hvXho.png

99+ all 23rd March 2012 - 2496 total 13th June 2012.

9000+ dragon drops! Including draconic visage, d chains, d spears, d2h, d claws, d meds, d legs, d skirts... d bones, d hides :)?

w85p2012-1.png

I want jagex to put resource dungeons and dungeoneering skill doors to dungeoneering floors so I can dungeon and get dungeoneering xp while I dg so I don't have to dg to get dg exp, but I can dg while I dg :)?