Behind the Scenes - February

Mil

You do have to wonder why someone needs to be a master in chopping trees down and cooking food in order to have a cape that boosts their combat performance. One of RuneScape's biggest strengths is that, because it has no "races" of players or "perks", it can be all things to all people, but that doesn't mean all people should be forced to do all things.

Which is why it's a flaw in Runescape.

Diary rewards have many versions from lesser to greater.

Take Ardy cloak:

Ardy easy

Ardy medium

Ardy hard

Ardy Elite

Plus someone mentioned that Comp cape should have more rewards (besides myself) for all skills. And that's pretty smart.

The Ardougne Tasks are meant to be a general list of the whole area though, regardless of which particular skills the area encompasses. It's about the place, not the skills per se.

I think it's a misnomer to call what you're proposing a "comp cape", since only focusing on combat isn't completionist in any way. But you are right, and it goes back to the old debate when skillcapes came out of why level 3 skillers were receiving capes for cooking and fletching which outclassed high-combat players who'd only maxed out in strength alone. Surely the cape for being 99 strength should be more powerful combat-wise than the capes for fletching and woodcutting.

That's what I meant about making people do all things. If you want the most powerful combat-related cape in the game, you need to have grown herbs, flowers and trees up to 99 farming... Why?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do have to wonder why someone needs to be a master in chopping trees down and cooking food in order to have a cape that boosts their combat performance. One of RuneScape's biggest strengths is that, because it has no "races" of players or "perks", it can be all things to all people, but that doesn't mean all people should be forced to do all things.

Which is why it's a flaw in Runescape.

Diary rewards have many versions from lesser to greater.

Take Ardy cloak:

Ardy easy

Ardy medium

Ardy hard

Ardy Elite

Plus someone mentioned that Comp cape should have more rewards (besides myself) for all skills. And that's pretty smart.

I am not saying you shouldn't work hard for a reward. I've gotten 10 99-skills. 10!

On top of that i went through over a week or two to get my Castle wars halo.

And i did loads of struggling to get Imbue ability.

But i really do not want to complete the whole game to get the best cape. And for me having the best items made the game fun.

The problem is that there aren't many capes that involve skilling (except crafting/agility skillcape, ardougne cloak and spottier cape (lower weight than comp, lol)).

The Ardougne Tasks are meant to be a general list of the whole area though, regardless of which particular skills the area encompasses. It's about the place, not the skills per se.

I think it's a misnomer to call what you're proposing a "comp cape", since only focusing on combat isn't completionist in any way. But you are right, and it goes back to the old debate when skillcapes came out of why level 3 skillers were receiving capes for cooking and fletching which outclassed high-combat players who'd only maxed out in strength alone. Surely the cape for being 99 strength should be more powerful combat-wise than the capes for fletching and woodcutting.

That's what I meant about making people do all things. If you want the most powerful combat-related cape in the game, you need to have grown herbs, flowers and trees up to 99 farming... Why?

Then here is what i suggest:

Combat cape - a crap looking cape with stats equal to Comp cape

Comp cape - The current cape with emote, cosmetic look and the stats of Combat cape.

And Comp cape rewards can be increased (here is two rewards i suggest):

+ Ability to make a statue of your avatar with exact outfitt of your choice (similar to photobooth for forum avatar)

+ Teleport to a skilling place with all avaible tools and necessary things.

let's get some technology that isn't from 2007 people

I lag more in the new Taverly than I do in many areas in Skyrim with many of the high detail settings :twss:

Same. Even though maxing skyrim right to the max actually does cause my GPU to stutter the frame rate, I would still get less pauses on Skyrim (at ultra), and they'd be shorter, then I am getting in RuneScape right now. Once I get moving RS is okay, though its as of yesterday trying to move now causes me to lose about 5 entire frames, before they drop below 20. And full screen is now unplayable for me. It just pauses (and its not a network latency issue, I checked), and then totally tanks the frame rate into the gutter (down to about 6 while moving, 30 while standing still though).

It's like the game has run out of memory and the pauses are while the computer scrambles to clear enough space in Java's (very limited) memory to get the relevant data in.

*Wanders off to get a 64 bit version of Java and figure out how to tell it to use more memory*

^ Jagex has no incentive to do that

What is wrong with comp cape as it is now? I don't get it

It'll likely just get an 8.5 str bonus

Yeah I get like... 40-50FPS in BF3 and SC2 but 30FPS in RS. Graphics cards / processor speed aren't the only factors here. My laptop is <1year old, has a decent 1GB gfx card, and is quad core @ 2.3.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I don't know why you think combat deserves its own special cape. Surely since I have maxed Attack and Strength (without defense) then I deserve an offensive combat cape without the defense bonuses? Then you would have to cater to all play-styles which is what makes your idea stupid.

I think a better idea would be to have a "Mastery Cape" in which you can add all your other skill capes which give bonuses to their respective skills. Then once filled up with all skills it becomes the Max cape, and then Completionist when all the other tasks are completed.

I don't know why you think combat deserves its own special cape. Surely since I have maxed Attack and Strength (without defense) then I deserve an offensive combat cape without the defense bonuses? Then you would have to cater to all play-styles which is what makes your idea stupid.

In Runescape Combat is very dominant. In order to get to farming patch in Trollheim you have to get past trolls. Most places in Runescape have "monsters". And so there is Non combat skills part of Runescape, and COMBAT. Two type of skills that dominate Runescape game.

And your right you may have to cater to all players. But as of now the Comp cape caters to only players who wants to complete everything. And it's reasonable to cater to Combat players just as you cater to skillers/Comp players because Combat influences Runescape heavily.

I think a better idea would be to have a "Mastery Cape" in which you can add all your other skill capes which give bonuses to their respective skills. Then once filled up with all skills it becomes the Max cape, and then Completionist when all the other tasks are completed.

I think i get what you mean. But a better solution could be making a base cape which you can "build on" with 99 capes. Example when you use Attack cape on this "base" cape you will give it attack bonus stats, then when you use ranged 99 cape - you give it ranged attack bonus. And so on.

But then Jagex must make more rewards for Comp cape. Such as making 99 Agility cape making the "base" cape get the quality of lowering weight. And when you complete this "base" cape you will receive "Comp cape".

So new fire cape most likely won't be a requirement for the completionist cape? Why don't they just upgrade the cape but take it off everyone until they defeat the new tzhaar boss, then you can wear it again.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Yeah I get like... 40-50FPS in BF3 and SC2 but 30FPS in RS. Graphics cards / processor speed aren't the only factors here. My laptop is <1year old, has a decent 1GB gfx card, and is quad core @ 2.3.

I'm constantly at about 10FPS... which severely limits the things I'm able to do in the game

77yLQy8.png

I'm constantly at about 10FPS... which severely limits the things I'm able to do in the game

Sorry, was referring to the comp cape suggestions dire_wolf was pointing out. But yeah, RS graphics processing efficiency sucks.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I think i get what you mean. But a better solution could be making a base cape which you can "build on" with 99 capes. Example when you use Attack cape on this "base" cape you will give it attack bonus stats, then when you use ranged 99 cape - you give it ranged attack bonus. And so on.

But then Jagex must make more rewards for Comp cape. Such as making 99 Agility cape making the "base" cape get the quality of lowering weight. And when you complete this "base" cape you will receive "Comp cape".

--

Yeah that is what I meant by Mastery Cape. A Base cape which you add your other 99 capes to absorbing the abilities of each respective cape. This would require abilities to be added to each 99 Cape, however, and not just +1 to the respective stat. The Max cape would be all these abilities in one cape. - This idea however reduces the importance of other capes (Ardy, SW, Fire, Spirit, etc), and maybe these could somehow be added to the Base Cape aswell giving additional bonuses?

Then the Completionist Cape could have added abilities.

This idea is good in theory, but it would make capes really overpowered and would make 99's even more 'important' to get than when Skill Capes were first released. I do, however, agree that it seems silly that it requires non-combat skills to have the best combat cape in the game.

@ Deletion

Well if Jagex did something like that and really thought it through - it would give more rewards to Comp players but at same time make it less "grind" for Combat players. Completionist cape wouldn't loose it's status either.

The crap looking no emote cape with same stats as Completionist cape could be called "War cape".

The name of Completionist cape could be changed to "Perfect Cape" if people wants that as well.

[spoiler=That's some damn fine RS son. Damn fine!]2r7281v.png

This is going to be my wallpaper for a while...

Aww shucks JaGEx, my birthday isn't until next month!

2yzihwm.png

I can feel the heat of it on my back already...

Isn't that Ozan?

Yeah, it probably is. Only cape actually featured in the video though, so I figured I'd post it for shtsngiggles anyway.

Oh god... that's the only way they could ruin this. JaGEx, please remove Ozan and sarafag from the sig heroes if you're going to make us team up with them. Then this month'll be perfect.

OH OR OMFG HAVE THEM KILLED BY THAT THING!

RELEASE THE KRAKAN!

You can tell I'm excited by all the caps. :)

2dgucz6.png

Yeah, it probably is. Only cape actually featured in the video though, so I figured I'd post it for shtsngiggles anyway.

Oh god... that's the only way they could ruin this. JaGEx, please remove Ozan and sarafag from the sig heroes if you're going to make us team up with them. Then this month'll be perfect.

RELEASE THE KRAKAN!

When you have to team up with a CPU that acts self righteous you know your in for a hard time.

For a while i got extremely annoyed at the NPCs in Warrior guild.

A bloody monk with a 2h sword on his shoulder going on about something along the lines of "Thrust not without your heart" -i was thinking "Wtf O.o".

RELEASE THE KRAKAN!

Considering he has a quiver, I doubt that'll be the cape we get.

Also, kraken*.

crossed_body.png

Considering he has a quiver, I doubt that'll be the cape we get.

Also, kraken*.

Hope the lava burns him. I sure wouldn't like a NPC telling me "This monster is dangeorus - Run username X! I will fight it!".

"[bleep] please i am here to kill the monster not run away from it -.-"

Hope the lava burns him. I sure wouldn't like a NPC telling me "This monster is dangeorus - Run username X! I will fight it!".

"[bleep] please i am here to kill the monster not run away from it -.-"

I hope it's just for show.

If that turns out not to be the case - then make sure you push Ozano or Azono into the lava and say "oops".