Upcoming combat changes

Logdotzip

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 12 different 'styles' of attack per Combat style? Interesting. Good job im done with combat.

The problem with the icons is that it implies that Runescape will gain "perks/skills" akin to those in diablo and WoW - I just hope that we get unlimited resets so we can customise how many points we put where.

Actually the info given at runefest said that special moves/abilities would be unlocked as you advanced certain skills. eg 50 def might give you one tht lasts for 1 minute tht reduces damage by 10% whilst 50 str might give you a 30 second 1.25 damage multiplier and that these can be put in the action bar alongside assorted 'normal' things (eg special attack, eat shark etc) for when you do combat.

I think the most interesting detail I've seen mentioned is the dissociation of attack styles and xp gains, with it being implied for melee regardless of weapon you can pick stab, slash or crush and whether you want to gain att, str, def or all 3. So for example you could crush with a whip, though obviously stats would make this particularly in-affective

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guess I need to once again put off combat.. or maybe I should go max now while combat is still relatively afk.

Yes, the "new, better combat system" made me drop all activities in RS and run afk-train combat.

As I understand, they want to completely destroy PvE and boss hunting in favour of hopefully more balanced PvP?

How are we going to train combat, if PvE is *ed up after this update? (including non-afk)

The boosts to magic vs melee... I really hope this doesn't mean that whoever has the most gp in bank wins it all.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I, for one, don't understand what's wrong with adding some diversity to the game mechanics. How exactly would this ruin all pve content again? If anything it'd spice it up if implemented well.

I wonder if something they mentioned in game engine QA will be used in this, namely that they have the ability to make it so already fired mage and range attacks can either fly to a set target (eg where u were when they attacked) or still track you BUT actually get blocked by obstacles (eg run behind pillar arrow will hit pillar not you)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

But I don't want any changes to the cobat system, might make my account obsolete >_>.

Hopefully they keep that in mind :razz:

It seems like pures will still be suited to killing players their own level, they'll just have new tricks for doing it.

Honestly low defence is little more than a bit of extra prestige these days already. All the tradeoffs make you about equal to a built-to-pk main account.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

2ropz5i.png

Was bored few months ago lol.

Also, about the combat rework, this was posted a while back but I don't think too many people noticed it.

http://qik.com/runefest

See it for yourself, it's the video above the 5v5 video.

Things that will be kept in the future runescape combat system:

You will be able to click on a target then AFK, but it will come at the cost of DPS.

The combat triangle will stay in some shape or form

Must be easy to learn.

Free to switch between the 3 classes whenever you want.

Mod Chris L on future updates ideas (Not guaranteed):

New abilities unlocked at, for example, higher strength/attack/defense level.

You would put these abilities on a hotbar.

Jagex is not sure how weapon special abilities will translate to the new hotbar.

But they want to preserve the mechanic that unlocking new weapons will unlock new special abilities.

Mod Chris L does not want magic spells to deal fixed damage (IE fire surge -> 280 damage)

Things Jagex cant do:

Jagex delete skills.

Range and Mage must use ammo

fletching and runecrafting must still be useful.

Suggestions & Answers:

Suggestion:

Can Jagex make armor weight affect your weapon speed?

Response:

Technically possible to implement, it seems like an added penalty for armor, that I don't like that very much.

What we will do however, is balance it so that all 3 sides of the combat triangle have the same DPS.

Suggestion:

Couldn't hear, something about a new skill

Response:

We can't make a new skill for just range and magic.

If we release a new combat skill, it has to be one that can be used by all 3 classes. Melee, Magic, and Ranged.

We can't tell our players. You're a ranger, you need to train another skill to be a max ranged combat level.

That's not fair on them.

Melee and magic and ranged will still use the same skills they do today

All 3 classes will need to train their defense. We're not going to force you to train your defense. We're going to heavily encourage you to train your defense. Okay?

So what we do.

You got your action bar, your new spells, your new abilities.

You unlock new abilities by training your defense.

Lets say you train your defense level to 90.

You get this new ability, you put it on your action bar, you press it, it reduces all damage you take by 100% for 10 seconds or so or something like that.

So if you don't train your defense, you will be at a huge disadvantage.

Suggestion/Question:

Could you split magic into the skilling and combat magic skill?

Response:

We can't suddenly say, you trained your magic level to 99, but you log in and you can't use your new skilling magic.

We can't change this anymore.

Question:

Why can't we have more armor like split bark, with lower magic accuracy, but higher melee defense?

Response:

Lets say the new items, or your rune plate, or your dragonhide, will be restated.

We're going to move away from putting offensive stats on armor.

We're going to put a greater emphasis on your weapon slot and on your offhand slot.

Magic armor is going to be strong against melee, because that's how the combat triangle is designed.

We'll shift the magic accuracy into things like books, your staff, MAYBE necklaces and rings.

We're just going to say something like, it's magic armor, it has magic runes on it, it's got forcefields or whatever, they're going to make you really good at defending against melee.

Question:

F2p is underpowered, can you give us free stuff?

Answer:

I'm sure andrew would just say subscribe, that's how you get free stuff.

The culture between free to play and members is getting a bit blurred.

Something in the pipeline, but we won't talk about today.

But the idea is, free to play is like, i hesitate to call it an intro.

Sometimes it's been called an intro. Sometimes it's been called an entirely other game.

I hesitate to call it either.

We can do f2p updates, but unfortunately, but the crux of the matter, updates are funded by money.

And generating an update for f2p doesn't generate as money as p2p.

So while we can give you stuff from f2p, the higher ups generally want us to not give stuff to f2p.

So we can do it but it's probably unlikely

Question

What about giving f2p snares, which is 10 second hold

Answer

Spells like the snare, we'd convert them into abilities.

So as you level your magic, you'd unlock new spells, as well as abilities.

And one of these abilities would be a snare.

We want a snare, we want a snare early on.

We don't like the idea of safespotting.

We don't want to prevent you from safespotting, but it's not really great gameplay.

So we want mages to get a snare early on.

Question:

Will you still have negative offensive bonuses? so ranger's wont wear melee armor?

Answer:

Like I said, We're moving away from offensive stats. Positive offensive stats.

But we would have negative offensive stats on armor.

So there will still be hybrid, because we know people like to hybrid. So there will still be opportunities to hybrid.

But our main items. Our rune platebodies, are going to have much much higher negative penalties for non melee attack.

Question:

If you have inventory slots taken up by runes, and melee is wearing their weapons, is there anything in that area for mages to carry their runes?

Answer:

Something released for dungeoneering, unfortunately mod trick isn't with us anymore. He made the spell boxes. Which kinda suck really.

Mages still have to carry runes, but we might give you an off hand, which cancels a certain kind of rune.

As well you got your main hand, which cancel out another type of rune.

New abilities as you level up. Say, at level 10, you get a new ability. You press it, and you next spell cost no runes.

Question:

Waterfiends, you gotta wear dhide or karils, if you don't wanna get hit hard. But they're only weak to crush weapons.

How are you going to balance that?

Answer:

Monsters will get rebalanced.

When you click a monster now, it will tell you what a monster is strong against, and when it is weak against.

We want to encourage you to do it. To use the stronger attack style.

For now you can lean on slash, and forget about it.

We want this for all creatures now.

All creatures will be rebalanced, They will have strengths, they will have weaknesses.

You will have to play to those strengths and weaknesses to win.

Waterfiends are just horrible from my point of view, because whoever made them didn't know what they were doing.

They give far too many charms.

Their combat system is completely messed up.

.... Charms are fun.

[awkward silence]

Question:

Now that you have absorption, how about negative absorption

Answer:

Okay um, I don;t know much myself. but i don't like absorption at all.

It's just uh, too complicated. And when it does work, it doesn't do it enough.

personally, I'd like to just see it gone.

What we do see in pvp, is that people do too much damage.

You whip out your dragon claws or your armadyl godsword, you bust out your special, bam bam you're dead.

We can't have things like that.

We're probably gonna get rid of damage absorption as it exists right now, because it sucks.

We're going to release life point boosting for armor across the board.

Right now, only a few armors boost life points. We're going to put it on everything.

We want players at max level to have, 2 to 3, maybe 4,000 life points. We want to increase that ceiling so we can have more interesting combat.

Question:

we have 4 elements for magic. Wind, fire,air water, can you make them do slightly different things?

like fire -> damage over time

water makes u run slower

Answer:

Absolutely.

Problem with magic is that it's been around since classic.

And runescript in classic was horrible.

So unfortuantely that's why mage is what it is.

So what we'd like to do is make everything more interesting.

We'd like to give fire a damage over time ability.

or you do a wind, wind could slow down a person's run speed.

all sorts of interesting things.

Question:

[audio break out] Higher end bow, like higher range strength

Answer:

Like I said, the combat triangle isnt balance

In this new system, hopefully everything is balanced.

Lets say a manic guy is running around with an abyssal whip.

Your ranger is using a magic shortbow, off the top of my head.

We want to boost the power of range and magic so it matches the power of melee.

The damage chart we showed earlier... [fumbles with powerpoint]

there's gotta be a better way to do this [fumbles more with powerpoint]

there we are, so, as we see, we got melee sitting at the top. [blah blah pointless stuff he said already]

Question:

Are you able to change run speeds?

Answer:

What we can't do, because of a technical limitation. We can't change run speed.

Run speed doesn't exist, it's a cheat. It's you going 2 squares at once, and you skip over the tile in between.

We can't make you go 3 tiles at once.

We can make weight a greater impact on your run energy, but i don't like run energy

[video cuts out in the middle of Q&A session]

Biggest glitches video:

"is there anything in the live game that you'd rather not be there?"

"Trouble Brewing"

"What's the biggest bug?"

"when we released the city of dorgeshuun, you could sell a piece of cheese to the merchants for 600m gp"

"but fortunately only one person found that out and told us immediately. He was even so nice he gave us the money back."

"Personally I'd like to see a skill, like an enchanting skill, that lets you make your equipment better. It kinda steps on the toes of smithing, but smithing is a skill that really shouldn't be there. I'd like to see a skill like that. but there's currently no skills in development"(Jmod)

"What do you think of giving mage weapons special attacks?"

"Leaning on what we were talking about yesterday, one of the things we were hoping to do was instead of special weapons, so instead when you level up your skill [blah blah abilities talk read the future of runescape combat thread"

"We want players to focus less on specific items, and more on their skills"

"when is the dragon kiteshield coming out?"

"The dragon kiteshield is not in development, i have no idea when it is coming out. I imagine our lead designer mod mark will suddenly wake up one day and decide to put it in the game"

"The 64 by 64 monster, how high will it be? How will we see the damage bar?"

"As of right now, you need to use special developer commands to see the health bar"

"In soul wars, Can you make the ramp up to the obelisk 4 wide"

"It's certainly possible, one of the things we really want to do, is have 2 versions of soul wars. The current soul wars, and a team based version, that is much smaller, where you pick a team of 10-20 people and challenge another team, and it's instanced. Then we might look at making the ramp smaller. But we definitely want to look at a smaller soul wars game so it's less laggy"

"Will there ever be mounts? Because even at 99 agility, you run out of energy pretty easily"

"I agree (This is mod chris E speaking, and he thinks run energy is a stupid idea) But I'm not in a position to do anything about this. Originally the issue was we couldn't put players on a mount because of image clipping. But we resolved that issue through z-buffering. Now it's a technical limitation of how fast you can move. Due to latency, you will look fine on your own screen, but on other players screens, it will look like you are teleporting around. It's something we definitely want, it's something we're working on, but it's not something we can do yet. And I can't promise it will come into the game."

"will there be more quests where you help the bad gods?"

"Probably yes." mod chris admits to not knowing much on the matter.

"Can we redecorate our armor? can I dress my torva up in a princess outfit?"

"Erm, Technically yes we can do this, but mod mark doesn't like players disguising their power. So if you're running around in a princess outfit, but you actually have full torva on, I don't think mod mark would like that"

"will there be bank shortcut where you can withdraw an entire costume and equip it?"

"I am actually working on that right now. So Yes"(Mod chris)

"Will there be any more bandos armor? There isnt a helmet or shield

"it's not impossible, but it's unlikely. Perhaps a goblin storyline, not the cave goblin storyline. but theres no plans, but it's certainly possible."

"will we ever be able to look up?"

"When our graphic designers make a table, they make the entire table then delete all the polygons on the bottom. So if you could look up, you would just see through everything. So I'm going to say we're not going to let you look up in runescape im afraid."

"You can look up if you use a cheat engine..."

"Ok... [awkward silence]"

"will there be hotkeys?

"Yes, part of the combat rework will be an action bar. And you'll be able to bind keys. 12345, wasd, whatever you want to the action bar. And all these new abilities will be in a sort of like spell book. You'll be able to drag your abilities into the action bar. Your food, your prayers, your spells. So yes."

Questions for mod chris L

Two questions

1st: When you said we'd have a hotbar for the new skill, how would that look, because you showed it in HD but I don't play it.

Mod chris (not chris L) interrupts and says: To answer that in short, the graphics team hasn't desgined it yet, but i've drawn it in microsoft paint. The company's new cheap to buy me photoshop. basically the bar will be at the bottom of the 3d view in fixed screen, and it's semi transparent.

2nd: This one is for you (chris L) Because you are the slayer master. Would it be possible, when combining skills, to have silent killing for slayer?

chris L: Silent killing? like stealth killing?

Yes

Chris L: Yes i love this kind of thing.

[blah blah jibberish]

Chris L: Yes, you reminded me. I love this kind of thing, I'll do it next!

Chris L: maybe.

Player: On the player ports, would we be able to ride boats from port to port to get around runescape? and to our citadel?

Chris L: but the citadel is in the sky.

Player: yeah but theoretically...

[laughter]

Chris(not chris L): Actually, one of the things im working on right now, is like a global transportation hub. There's lots of transportation. Teleports, rings, balloons. I want a place, think like a train station. You teleport to this train station, then you can have access to every form of transportation in runescape from there.

Player: I've personally not done a lot of quests, because it unlocks slayer monsters that are not nice to kill that I would then need to block. Will there be something in the game that lets you block quest monsters without having to use your block slots?

Chris L: Its an interesting question, i am aware of the situation. Um. The obvious answer is probably to get a list of these monsters and make them more attractive if they're on the slayer table. Or potentially take it off the list or if it's never going to be used at all. A lot of this is just legacy problems.

Player: Could you release a new combat skill? like prayer which is 12 combat levels, that way we'll be an even 150?

Chris L: Thats up to mod mark, thats not planned.

Player: with the magic armor, is there a new concept? since it's all skirts. Except splitbark legs.

Chris(not L): The magic rework will include some new armor. We'll keep the old armor. But the new armor will have bolted on plates, and runes, or forcefields on it or something.

Player: Are there any skills you want to make? or in development?

Chris(Not L): There are no skills in development, sailing definitely won't be a skill. Personally I'd like to see an enchanting skill. [blah blah] There might be a new skill in development starting next year, but that's a maybe.

Player: The elf storyline. How long left is it? Is it good or bad news we're looking to. And is anything happening to tutorial island?

Chris L: there are no plans for tutorial island. But we might use it for something else later. Like the end game, for some reason. As for elves, I got dangerously close to working on it this year, but i got pulled on to various other projects. Most are on this list [powerpoint]. i read the story boards, they've got some really great twists. I really want to make the new quest. It'll bring the city back. It'll be a big update. Potentially a day's worth of question. You know, bigger than while guthix what? I want it to be a big update that will bring out a lot of the lore of the game.

It is on the radar, definitely.

Player: Do you plan to have any big boss battles?

Chris L: I always plan big boss battles.

Player: Have you considered having a seduction skill?

Chris L: I think of the legal requirements of the game prevents us from doing that since we're designing for little kiddies... one of the things our lead designer mod mark wants us to do, he's very keen on psionics, and telepathy, this might be happening as part of a much much much further evolution of the combat triangle. He'd like to see the combat triangle evolve into a combat pentagon. Psionics being one of the new points. This is just something he said randomly one day when he was getting a coffee. But it's definitely something he wants to do.

It's a transcript from runefest "future of rs combat" panel.

This seems like a lot of update to be released in one sitting. I welcome some change, but to overhaul the entire combat system RS has been built around for over 10 years (ie click and watch it die) seems like a sudden and rather unnecessary move to me. I was totally fine with the HP update, as was damage soaking. I'd like it better if combat mechanics updates continued this way, 1 small step at a time to allow players to grow accustomed to the system.

This seems like a lot of update to be released in one sitting. I welcome some change, but to overhaul the entire combat system RS has been built around for over 10 years (ie click and watch it die) seems like a sudden and rather unnecessary move to me. I was totally fine with the HP update, as was damage soaking. I'd like it better if combat mechanics updates continued this way, 1 small step at a time to allow players to grow accustomed to the system.

But there's only so far you can go with small changes.

To get to the ideal Jagex seems to want from this if you did it in 'small steps' you'd just end up with a majorly unbalanced screwy system between certain steps.

Even if they did thin it out a bit so the action bar etc were separate steps they overhaul of armour, weapons and monster stats would all have to come as 1 lump at least.

Besides to say RS has been built on the same combat system for 10 years is kinda silly, it has evolved a heck of a lot eg range and mage became viable combat skills, summoning and prayer added a fair bit, curses and ancients and lunars all added new shades, poison, disease monsters with notable strengths and weakness, monsters where dodging etc is important. To me this is the natural next step, we have reached the limits of a click and wait system and it needs to morph further to allow new challenges. Besides jmods have said several times you WILL be able to still click and wait style it, it just won't be quite as good for DPS (and thus xp and profits)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I, for one, don't understand what's wrong with adding some diversity to the game mechanics. How exactly would this ruin all pve content again? If anything it'd spice it up if implemented well.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Small changes just piss everybody off. Better to do it all at once

I wish they'd get rid of the combat triangle altogether. Reminds me of Pokemon, always trying to be "super effective" against your opponent, instead of just having two different, yet equally powerful, combat types against each other (like races in Starcraft).

77yLQy8.png

Small changes just piss everybody off. Better to do it all at once

I wish they'd get rid of the combat triangle altogether. Reminds me of Pokemon, always trying to be "super effective" against your opponent, instead of just having two different, yet equally powerful, combat types against each other (like races in Starcraft).

Tbf it sounds like the overhaul will make the triangle work nicely.

From what they said it sounds like (for example)

Melee armour defence will have big negatives on magic with matching big positives of ranged with decent melee posititves.

So overall the stats of armours will mean you do have a balance on the triangle and hybridding/tribridding won't be as easy because it will come at the cost of really good defence.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Brb. Maxing combat.

Inb4 new combat system requires full attention for the afk exp rates we have now.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Hi

I think the "leaked" icons looks interesting and I look forward to find out in which direction Jagex intend to take this new combat system - as long as they don't change the game so I no longer can be a mage, ranger or warrior whenever I want to then I'm open for changes.

This could either go ok or very bad

Interested to see what this is

0KUUY.png

A woman eating a slice of watermelon. Clearly.

You must be blind because that is clearly a mango.

I thought: projectile vomit attack.

Do not want.

That ^

Looks like too MUCH :( The Icons look nice though.

Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

Going for Level 99 Magic & Level 99 Smithing!!!

Going for 200M Woodcutting exp!!!!!!!

0346-0077-6360 Mario kart Wii

I hope that you are Reporting the Bots! Please Report Bots.

I embrace any change to the current combat system, the only actual excitement we get on combat is having to emergency heal, prayer flicks and armor swaps during battle to hybrid, would be nice to add some actual combat excitement with special moves and what not... As long as they implement it right... (At least with the beta we'll be able to give as much feedback as we can)

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

hopefully the change is good, but with their track record who knows. they can't possibly mess it up and make it worse than it already is

your turn to hit a random number, ok my turn, now your turn, ok my turn

WOOT IM MORE SKILLED THAN YOU MY RANDOM NUMBERS ARE HIGHER!!