Upcoming combat changes

Logdotzip

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this is that defence (currently) only impacts hit rate, it is basically dodge, not lowering damage. So even at 10,000 defense stats, Jad can still nearly 1hit you becuase hits attacks hit so high when they land. This is something that is difficult to fix in the game engine, and they tried (miserably failed) with damage soak, which doesn't work because it has no impact on most hits, and things like divine and elysian are both very good but incredibly expensive.

I'm posting under the assumption that the combat rework will include that kind of thing :razz:

Lol at people thinking wow is complicated. I've done raiding in top end guilds. It literally takes all of 10 minutes to learn how to play your class, its then just a learning curve to do it the most effectively.

They have an entire community (I.e. elitist jerks) who crunch numbers for what stats you need and any decision you make is reversible. You can't "gimp" your character in wow.

Lets see, hundreds of skills to learn, thousands of weapon/armour customizations with said skills, on top of 10+ classes?

Runescape: 1 Class. Weapons/Armour are easily obvious in what to use, skills are bluntly strait-forward and the game map doesn't spand for miles like WoW's possibly does.

Somehow, I "think" Runescape is far more simpler then WoW and less confusing. (I also think you're the same person who spouted "lol, might as well quit and play WoW now" in updates a few weeks back like it was the god-tier game of everything)

OT: My hopes is they re-work defence properly and NOT make it a smouldering annoyance to what it already is.

Popoto.~<3

I often wonder why we are getting such crappy updates for some time and now I think its because of this combat change thingy.

This made me lol! Many of the updates since New Year have been considered some of the best we've had in ages (as a general consensus) with only 2 major stinkers (SOF and Effigy nerf) and a few that whilst not amazing and aren't exactly bad either.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I often wonder why we are getting such crappy updates for some time and now I think its because of this combat change thingy.

This made me lol! Many of the updates since New Year have been considered some of the best we've had in ages (as a general consensus) with only 2 major stinkers (SOF and Effigy nerf effigies) and a few that whilst not amazing and aren't exactly bad either.

Fixed that for you. The nerf at least diminished the damage caused. Otherwise spot on.

Lol at people thinking wow is complicated. I've done raiding in top end guilds. It literally takes all of 10 minutes to learn how to play your class, its then just a learning curve to do it the most effectively.

They have an entire community (I.e. elitist jerks) who crunch numbers for what stats you need and any decision you make is reversible. You can't "gimp" your character in wow.

Lets see, hundreds of skills to learn, thousands of weapon/armour customizations with said skills, on top of 10+ classes?

Runescape: 1 Class. Weapons/Armour are easily obvious in what to use, skills are bluntly strait-forward and the game map doesn't spand for miles like WoW's possibly does.

Somehow, I "think" Runescape is far more simpler then WoW and less confusing. (I also think you're the same person who spouted "lol, might as well quit and play WoW now" in updates a few weeks back like it was the god-tier game of everything)

OT: My hopes is they re-work defence properly and NOT make it a smouldering annoyance to what it already is.

Hundreds of skills? Please, list them all. I would love to see this. There are only 15 skills, and all of them are no more than "collect the resources, and click go." Certainly nothing like RS.

Also, the "thousands of weapon/armour customizations?" Yes, there are, but not at any given level. Why would you ever put +5 Intellect on a 2h sword for a Warrior? You are going off of the basis that everything counts at once, and it doesn't. Yes, there are a lot of different choices to make, but that's part of the draw. Why be bottlenecked into one armor, one weapon, one way of doing things? RS has more of that than WoW, and I can't stand it. If you're f2p, you wear rune. Nothing else. Just rune. Go to a clan war and see how many unique people there are. I'm going to guess: full rune armor, rune scimitar, and either leather boots or the Stronghold of Security boots. The only unique thing are those that are super-rich and can afford to lose god armor, or those that choose to go with a random cape if their clan doesn't require them to wear a certain color. So much fun watching characters in rune run around. Yey! Not boring at all.

Next, onto your complaining that WoW is too big... how is this a bad thing? You get to run across a WORLD! Not a continent, but a WHOLE WORLD! Teleports ruin things, and so do the major cities. Runescape doesn't have nearly the crowding factor as WoW does because you have to go to different places to skill effectively. With WoW, you can buy most of the stuff needed, or if you're gathering, you have to keep moving. It's not like you can sit at a grouping of trees in, say, Un'goro Crater to level up woodcutting. That's my biggest fault with WoW: the skilling sucks. If you don't want to raid or pvp, there's almost nothing for you to do at max level besides merchant. If you don't want to do that, you're screwed, which is why I quit. I don't have time to raid, and I hate merching, and I'm horribly anti-pvp. I have no real place in WoW. Now, I love the combat system, I just hate doing it all the time. I want to build things, but building in WoW means clicking a single button and waiting. Worse than RS.

TL;DR: If you want to hate WoW, do it for the right reasons. Stating false claims isn't the way to go about doing it. Give good reasons, not fake ones. WoW and RS both have their negative aspects, for sure; every game does. Please, think before you try to tear something down. If you do it intelligently, nobody can fault you for it.

[spoiler=List of professions in WoW...]Alchemy

Herbalism

Blacksmithing

Mining

Enchanting

Skinning

Engineering

Archaeology

First Aid

Jewelcrafting

Cooking

Leatherworking

Fishing

Tailoring

Did I miss any?

Let's just hope this makes RS combat less wait-and-hope-you-get-lucky and more skills-to-hit.

That's the noob (excuzes le mot) variety of combat, advanced combat like tormented demons with a titan requires quite a lot of apm. You can definitely not afk tds or powerslaying or such. If Jagex introduced more, and especially lower-level varieties of this kind of combat, it'd be great. Like elite black knights, but with loot.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

This made me lol! Many of the updates since New Year have been considered some of the best we've had in ages (as a general consensus) with only 2 major stinkers (SOF and Effigy nerf effigies) and a few that whilst not amazing and aren't exactly bad either.

Fixed that for you. The nerf at least diminished the damage caused. Otherwise spot on.

But please let's not get into the topic of that dead horse.

That's your personal opinion. Sy_Accursed was speaking about the overall opinion of the community based on the nerf.

hzvjpwS.gif

spoken like someone who has never played wow. You pick a class and you at most have 9 abilities in your priority system regardless of role (tank heals or dps). Most have less (death knights had 5 in their priority system when I quit.) And then you have 3-4 cool downs to manage. Gear is even simpler to learn, you focus on your stat priorities within the class of armour you can wear (plate, cloth etc.). Within professions you can only have 2 so that's not hard to learn either. Honestly, don't spout nonsense that can't be backed up

Nope, wasn't me. Might want to research that before you bring it up in an argument

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

In general the class system seems to make a game simpler for each person, because there's less options to choose from, but it makes teamwork more complicated. Which is something important in WOW and really not in RS, at all (not that I know WOW, just going based on what I've read).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

In general the class system seems to make a game simpler for each person, because there's less options to choose from, but it makes teamwork more complicated. Which is something important in WOW and really not in RS, at all (not that I know WOW, just going based on what I've read).

This is accurate.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

I am VERY worried that they are going to try to make combat more like WOW, which I hate more than anything.... I am thinking the new investors have been eying how successful WOW is and trying to mirror it. Is there any forum or thread to tell Jagex mods not to change combat and specifically don't even think about making it like wow. I don't care about tweaks in how it currently works, but I think they want to remake it and make it more involved where you have tactics or skill as part of combat. I want combat to always remain click and attack, nothing more complicated than tha

thegame1431.png

I am VERY worried that they are going to try to make combat more like WOW, which I hate more than anything.... I am thinking the new investors have been eying how successful WOW is and trying to mirror it. Is there any forum or thread to tell Jagex mods not to change combat and specifically don't even think about making it like wow. I don't care about tweaks in how it currently works, but I think they want to remake it and make it more involved where you have tactics or skill as part of combat. I want combat to always remain click and attack, nothing more complicated than tha

News flash, they don't care. And most people want a combat rework. Plus jagex has said click and attack will be there, you just won't get max damage or exp for doing it.

witchynosaur.png

It needs to be the only option, not still there. I don't want any part of them trying to be WOW.... It better not be turn based, like I hit monster then it is his turn to hit me and I have to decide on different tactics to use or heal for my turn, I dont want anything like that. the part that makes RS what it is, is the relaxed simple gameplay, I want nothing to do with more complex style WOW play.

but knowing how investors work, they will look at what is the most profitable game, and try to mirror that. This is my fear, and I am sure it is exactly what they are doing...trying their best to emulate the money making aspects of WOW, without trying to outright say it

thegame1431.png

It needs to be the only option, not still there. I don't want any part of them trying to be WOW.... It better not be turn based, like I hit monster then it is his turn to hit me and I have to decide on different tactics to use or heal for my turn, I dont want anything like that. the part that makes RS what it is, is the relaxed simple gameplay, I want nothing to do with more complex style WOW play.

but knowing how investors work, they will look at what is the most profitable game, and try to mirror that. This is my fear, and I am sure it is exactly what they are doing...trying their best to emulate the money making aspects of WOW, without trying to outright say it

put bluntly, you do not know how investors work.

do you really think that the people putting significant sums of money into RS dont see or understand the difference between a casual and highly involved MMORPG? would you put your money into something without understanding the market? investors get a horrible reputation but really they are what keeps the game going.

But, the direction that has been desired by many players and staff for a while now is more attention=more xp. This most likely will not change the gameplay significantly for the casual player but it will most likely be more in depth for the more serious player and PVP. how can you argue against people putting more effort into something yet not gaining a greater reward? it seems to me you're content to click and switch windows to something else rather than play the game. this is exactly what has been killing the game and what Jagex have been trying to move away from for a while now. greater interaction/less afk (yes i understand the recent updates for less APM for repetitive skills, but those need to be seen differently from combat even if the point and click mechanics are the same the mentality in the community is most definitely not). they arent catering to investors, they are putting forth what they feel is best for the community, just because you think you are right in thinking the current mechanics are the only option does not make you right.

It better not be turn based, like I hit monster then it is his turn to hit me and I have to decide on different tactics to use or heal for my turn, I dont want anything like that.

That's exactly what we have now...You hit a monster he hits you back. The length before you hit again is predetermined, and if you choose to heal (eat) you can't attack for x game ticks...It just happens that in RS "turns" are .6*X seconds long.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I know how investors work more than most, I own stocks of my own, I have done the books for private equity companies and worked for 2 companies owned by private equity companies, I know more about investors than 99% of the people out there. All they care about is ROI over 3-5 years, nothing else matters. Microtransactions which the games creators said will never exits, are here cause of them and now more changes to try to appeal to WOW members to join. And yes there is a difference, I am sure they think that they are cheaper so if the games were equal in most other ways, people would switch,

thegame1431.png

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh =/

iOwn.... (kinda)

2 year old account, Hoping to max before 3-year mark.
rilo_kiley.png

Drops - LOTS! =P

1500 total, 2000 total, 2200 total, 2400 total, 2496 total, 2595 total.

99s in order: 99 herblore, 99 firemaking, 99 cooking, 99 strength, 99 Constitution, 99 Attack, 99 ranged, 99 dungeoneering, 99 summoning, 99 fletching,

I know how investors work more than most, I own stocks of my own, I have done the books for private equity companies and worked for 2 companies owned by private equity companies, I know more about investors than 99% of the people out there. All they care about is ROI over 3-5 years, nothing else matters. Microtransactions which the games creators said will never exits, are here cause of them and now more changes to try to appeal to WOW members to join. And yes there is a difference, I am sure they think that they are cheaper so if the games were equal in most other ways, people would switch,

Microtransactions are a separate issue, likely decided by different sub-teams within the development team itself, so let's not confuse matters.

re: Combat changes, specifically this issue of reward output vs skill/attention input. How can you justify a system where person x receives exactly the same reward for doing a task as person y, when x demonstrated his personal skillset and knowledge of the game meant that he completed the task more successfully than y?

That's nothing to do with being more like WoW. That's the most basic, fundamental principle of any game. The person best at playing it, wins more than everyone else.

I don't mind too much what happens providing 2 things stay the same.

1. The xp rates stay similar to what they are now.

2. The best gear we have now remains the best and the worst the worst etc.

Avid43.png

combat2-18140831.jpg

So mage armouring/special effects seem interesting.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue