New skill at the end of 2013

Kaur

I'm not bothered that it's been a long time since the last skill, what I am bothered about is that they don't even seem to have come up with a proper concept for a new skill, yet still took all this time to "improve" all the skills which were seriously out-dated. Runecrafting probably being the only one to see an actual improvement over the last couple of years and Combat in my view seeing too many too fast, so what do we get this year? A combat re-work. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad thing, combat in it's current system is at it's end, it can't go any further without something drastic being done, which gladly is. BUT, we've seen barely any improvements for our existing skills that serve real purpose. Is it really that hard to come up with a few ideas to make certain skills more worthwhile and rewarding again?

What are you talking about? Almost every skill has seen some improvement in the past few yearrs.

Combat: Chaotics, Overloads, new armor (Nex, Gano), Curses, massive overhaul in like 3 months

Runecrafting: Runespan

Construction: Not much, construction garb I guess

Agility: Advanced courses, Flash powder factory (was later nerfed)

Herblore: Overloads, prayer renewals

Thieving: Monkey knife fighters

Crafting: Royal Dhides (new tier of dragonhide)

Fletching: Not much

Hunter: Herblore habitat

Mining: Living rock caverns, Lava flow

Smithing: Artisan's workshop

Fishing: Living rock caverns, c2 fishing, fish flingers

Cooking: Rocktails/cavefish

Firemaking: Curly roots, bonfires

Woodcutting: Not much

Farming: A few new crops (morchella mushrooms), Herblore habitat

Summoning: Not much

A few skills haven't been massively updated, but I'd say the majority of them have received their share of updates.

I only read through the first page of posts, but let it be noted that woodcutting also got ivy/sawmill some time in the last few years. Just thought I'd add that.

Come support my max total goal here.

Briobe122's 10-step guide to staking:

1. Get cleaned

2. Vow to never stake ever again! (very important)

3. welfare tds and get claws

4. kill glacors til i get boots

5. bandos ffa or more tds til i have around 50m

6. realize that it is far too hard to rebuild using steps 3, 4, and 5

7. give up the vow to never stake again

8. go back staking and make your bank back

9. if you failed at step #8, Go back to step #1

10. if you succeed at step #8, you will eventually feel the need to make money for rich people stuff, have a bad day of staking, then get cleaned anyways

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Of the proposed skill ideas I've heard, and my own, I think:

Music would be a great skill.

Sailing would be meh, interesting to say the least.

Engineering has potential I guess, not sure atm though.

Art is another idea that has a lot of potential, and could be

great, or absolutely terrible

I have a feeling it's going to be something totally out there like Dungeoneering. There's only so many medieval/fantasy professions we can turn into skills. Most of the suggestions I've seen are either too niche (music) or already neatly fit into other skills (engineering being combination of smithing crafting and construction).

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Most of the suggestions I've seen are either too niche (music)

It works well enough that there's an entire bard class dedicated to it. :razz:

Rework it into something like "Charisma", you could have it make magic more effective and also and use it to buff/debuff allies/enemies in multicombat. Outside of combat, have it so that you could perform for money, with better results at higher levels.

Most of the suggestions I've seen are either too niche (music)

Which was never good enough at any one thing to justify putting in a four-player party. >.>

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I think there was a music cape in the database, but that may have been planned for getting all the songs or something.

Regardless music would be an awesome skill. You could have various instruments that you could use to say, rest anywhere to your own music, or charm monsters, similar to the Ring of Charos. Major locations across RS could have symphony halls where you could play once a week (like the circus) to npc's for xp and gp. It could be good for hunter for luring animals. It could also be used to call monsters to fight for you (e.g. In wild you could have a chaos dwarf attack another player).

I think there was a music cape in the database, but that may have been planned for getting all the songs or something.

Regardless music would be an awesome skill. You could have various instruments that you could use to say, rest anywhere to your own music, or charm monsters, similar to the Ring of Charos. Major locations across RS could have symphony halls where you could play once a week (like the circus) to npc's for xp and gp. It could be good for hunter for luring animals. It could also be used to call monsters to fight for you (e.g. In wild you could have a chaos dwarf attack another player).

Charming monsters and luring hunter creatures can better be done with their own skills, namely slayer and hunter. Sure you *could* implement it, but it seems rather forced to me. Weekly xp also seems more of a thing you add to an already strong skill, not a major benefit of one.

Rework it into something like "Charisma", you could have it make magic more effective and also and use it to buff/debuff allies/enemies in multicombat. Outside of combat, have it so that you could perform for money, with better results at higher levels.

Was thinking of something like a Renown skill, since pretty much everything we do has us gaining fame. Things like quests, miniquests, completing slayer tasks and recovering "artifacts" from monsters or skilling which could work like strange rocks would gain xp, and the skill itself could be used to like you said, buff and debuff other. Other benefits could be ability to wear or receive legendary items and some kind of bonus to the new abilities (fame would be a good measurement of real world experience).

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Charming monsters and luring hunter creatures can better be done with their own skills, namely slayer and hunter. Sure you *could* implement it, but it seems rather forced to me. Weekly xp also seems more of a thing you add to an already strong skill, not a major benefit of one.

Was thinking of something like a Renown skill, since pretty much everything we do has us gaining fame. Things like quests, miniquests, completing slayer tasks and recovering "artifacts" from monsters or skilling which could work like strange rocks would gain xp, and the skill itself could be used to like you said, buff and debuff other. Other benefits could be ability to wear or receive legendary items and some kind of bonus to the new abilities (fame would be a good measurement of real world experience).

Its going to be a gather skill paired with a artisan skill.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Not guaranteed. Just an idea of them.

Not guaranteed. Just an idea of them.

Yeah true, but that's what they want and I'm sure it's not really going to change. I think it's a safe bet to say that's how it's going to be because there are a lot of motives for doing a gather/artisan suggestion. Unless they get something totally different I don't think that such a basic layout will change.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

They did not say they WANT to do a production skill and finishing skill pair, they said that it COULD end up being that.

It all depends what ideas they have to pitch and what they think adds most to the game.

I mean we could easily get a gatherer skill or finishing skill that links in with one we already have. Eg engineering would be a finishing skill that would follow on from smithing most probably. They could do something assasin-esque that leads on from agility and thieving. Archeology could be taken as a gatherer skill through which we acquire rare ancient materials to use in smithing and crafting. There could be some sort of taxidermy/butchery type skill that is acts as a finishing skill to new hunter methods that leave behind a carcass to be harvested

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Most of the ideas I've read don't seem like they could be broadened into a skill (including the ideas I've had) :(

A few more I had though:

Astronomy

Bushcraft (essentially wilderness survival)

Capoeira (look this one up, it's a long one)

Caving (essentially cave diving and the exploration of caves, although it's kind of similar to Dungeoneering in that sense. Picture giant rocky caves as opposed to square rooms though. Could be broadened to Exploring).

Music

Orienteering (could be added to agility, or Exploring)

...and some sort of scavenger skill where you look for items or places or people or even monsters to kill.

Of those, Astronomy and Music seem very possible. Caving seems epic but is really similar to Dungeoneering.

What if in addition of a new skill, Jagex also gave us a new skill system? At the moment, we're doing an xp based system so someone can get to mastery doing only beginner type events. Two skills at least changed how we approached leveling: Slayer and Dungeoneering. Even then, there was still the idea that you can attain mastery without doing master level training. What would you consider a good system that tracks the advancement of a skill?

As for what the new skill will be, hope it's not a closed off mini-game in nature like hunting and dungeoneering turned out to be.

Husbandry: raising animals similar to what farming did. The slaughter house aspect might be a tad disturbing.

Oratory skills: this can include many aspects - bargain, bribery, fast talk, singing, seduction, speaking languages. Basically, this allows you to manipulate any intelligent NPC in the game. Although it'd require retrofitting, it would have been cool if there were languages in the game and getting better at oratory meant you can interact with more and more NPC's to a greater degree.

Honor/Charisma: Probably boring, but essentially doing good things for NPCs. Guess it's like renown mentioned above.

Merchant: Now this would be a hated skill. While Construction was a GP sink, this would be an item sink as you'd have to stock your store with LOTS of items for the "NPC's" to buy. It'd also be like farming in that you'd have stalls in various towns which you visit to finalize sales and update new stock. On top of that, you can hire staff and upgrade the shops.

You know, although I just thought of merchant it seems like it can be a legit skill that can help the RS economy. Probably a bit too much like farming, however it will remove enormous amounts of player made items from the game. Mobilizing armies attempted this, but a skill would demand compliance.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

^ I very much like your idea of husbandry. It could also tie into a number of other skills, like building pens or lakes (for fish) in our POH, growing food with farming or collecting with hunter/gathering skills. Instead of 'slaughtering,' it could have a MTK-like quality, where you check your chickens every so often for eggs and feathers, or can catch fish in your house when your lake has repopulated.

Jagex have always joked that they would not add horses, but one can dream...

I like that idea of merchanting, the only downside being that it would give GP. Maybe as long as it gave rewards other than GP (like trading regular playermade items in large quantities for the ability to obtain untradable or better tradable items). That would mean item sink.

Then again, I'm just a fan of farming lol.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think it could quite possibly be another additional Combat skill, not sure what exactly though.

It would fit in with the focus they're putting on updating combat. Although I have no idea what kind of skill they could add to combat. I would like to see another aspect of combat added to the game.

I think it could quite possibly be another additional Combat skill, not sure what exactly though.

It would fit in with the focus they're putting on updating combat. Although I have no idea what kind of skill they could add to combat. I would like to see another aspect of combat added to the game.

Perhaps a PvP skill? E.g. how bounty hunter worlds worked, and killing target gets xp?

I don't even see how it could be a skill, assigning a target player? That's hardly a separate talent or skill to master, perhaps the same could be said of Slayer but that at least makes more sense as it is different targets, not all humans and it will make even more sense post-combat change where strengths and weaknesses of monsters will play a far more noticeable role.

Besides the Bounty Hunter mechanic is coming back like tomorrow in the Crucible update anyway.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I hope that we see slayer abilities, that would rock.

Not happening it would seem you can see in the recent video the abilities tab has 6 categories (Yellow, brown, black, red, green, blue) we also know that Att, str, def, range, mage and constitution have abilities tied to them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I hope that we see slayer abilities, that would rock.

Not happening it would seem you can see in the recent video the abilities tab has 6 categories (Yellow, brown, black, red, green, blue) we also know that Att, str, def, range, mage and constitution have abilities tied to them.

What color is what skill?

Red - Attack or HP ?

Green - Ranged most likely

Blue - Magic or Defense?

Black - ?

Brown - ?

Yellow - ?

I don't know =d

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Based on what we've seen in videos:

Blue is Magic

Yellow is Attack

Green is Ranged

Red is constitution

Black is Defence

Leaving brown as strength.

This is all from the newest video. When flicking through you see a panel with 2 red abilites including regenerate which must be constitution and near the start show a bunch of green abilites showing bow icons (plus as they hover over the green plus sign it shows ranged icon), they say they are going to show attack and drag out yellow stuff, then say they add a couple of def and add some from a very neutral black tab. Then at end when showing magic they are all blue icons.

Links for reference (need to pause them for most as its very brief views)

39 seconds Green showing ranged icon:

40 seconds Green tab with bow stuff:

41 seconds Red tab with constitution icon, also later in same second black with defence hover:

42 seconds Grey tab with shield/defence stuff, also a very very very brief hover over brown tht shows what seems like str icon and just before 43 seconds yellow shows attack hover:

43 seconds Yellow tab with attack stuff:

6min 8 seconds blue mage stuff:

But this is all getting rather off-topic.

Plv6Dz6.jpg