New skill at the end of 2013

Kaur

Imbuing would be nice. They could add their own twist to it so you could imbue potions to magically enhance them or imbue gears similar to how rings are.

On another note crafting does need some attention... It's been an abomination to see so many other MMOs have craft able magic gear up the butt yet we can't craft mystic or have much of any type of great cloth gear or accessory to craft. I am prepared to see people call me out on it, but even then I feel crafting should be on par with smithing and ideal it is not.

Aren't most of the new robes in the beta craftable?

Imbuing would be nice. They could add their own twist to it so you could imbue potions to magically enhance them or imbue gears similar to how rings are.

On another note crafting does need some attention... It's been an abomination to see so many other MMOs have craft able magic gear up the butt yet we can't craft mystic or have much of any type of great cloth gear or accessory to craft. I am prepared to see people call me out on it, but even then I feel crafting should be on par with smithing and ideal it is not.

Aren't most of the new robes in the beta craftable?

As of right now: No

From what Jagex has inferred/said: They will be when it goes live.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Maybe not closed, but irrelevant to the gaming world. Once they really become a poor mans WOW with compulsory adverts (like we now already have) constantly harrassing members, people will just move on to WOW.

Can I just make a distinction here between advertising some outside product and advertising a promotion for your own game? Because if you've spent any meaningful time in F2P you'll know that they've been doing the latter for years now.

i specifically mentioned members.

And harrassing adverts are harrassing adverts regardless of what they're advertising. I don't pay membership to be bombarded by Jagex advertising (not quite at the bombarded stage yet but it's only a matter of time).

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

The advertisements don't bother me that much. What bothers me is...

1. There is no "Never show this again" tick off box.

and

2. It's being advertised to people who already are eligible for all the rewards.

I'm a member out this year. I don't need that junk reminding me about rewards I'll be getting in 2 months.

The advertisements aren't that annoying yet, but they will be. I just can't be bothered with what Jagex are turning Runescape into. I'll keep playing until the update as this will be the last time to play the official RS2, but when the update comes out, I'm finished.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

We should be able to craft most gear. Gear that can't be crafted should have a way of crafting extra buffs onto it. Incorporate smithing into this and both skills would be better off if you ask me.

This. Adding spikes to a platebody, or being able to hem magic robes should make them stronger.

That or reworking the smithing tables to be like Dungeoneering, with rune finishing at 49 (59 in the changes). Introduce barrows-eque gear at 60, 70, 80 etc thats smithable but difficult or something.

The most recent popup adverts option "Do not show for five days" was kind of irritating. So close, but so far. How about "Do not display any ingame advertisements again".

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I would honestly be pretty surprised if Runescape was still around by 2014.

Wanna bet?

Seriously though, do you honestly believe that the game will be closed by 2014? From, let's say 500k members to closed in two years?

I don't think people realise that the only thing they NEED membership money for is server costs. Only when the amount of players gets so incredibly low that they can't afford them will the game be anywhere near closing down.

Then how do they pay employees?

• Like 2

Wanna bet?

Seriously though, do you honestly believe that the game will be closed by 2014? From, let's say 500k members to closed in two years?

I don't think people realise that the only thing they NEED membership money for is server costs. Only when the amount of players gets so incredibly low that they can't afford them will the game be anywhere near closing down.

True... I think he was on the thought of when a game is going under and it becomes more of a maintenance of just keeping it up and running rather than improving and updating it as well.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Wanna bet?

You don't need that many employees if you're not producing content. The game will only shut down when the cost of maintaining the servers is more than their revenue. At that point, though, they could just scrap the idea of membership and fill the page with ads.

Wanna bet?

You don't need that many employees if you're not producing content. The game will only shut down when the cost of maintaining the servers is more than their revenue. At that point, though, they could just scrap the idea of membership and fill the page with ads.

You would still need a good amount though. Customer support, public relations/legal, management, bug fixers and game maintenance, for example. As well as building security and maintenance as well. In addition, remember the surplus remaining after server costs must be high enough to give proper incentive for employees to accept their job. No one is going to run the game full-time if it's only turning minimum wage, which is another thing to consider.

Rent and utilities also come to mind.

I'm not familiar with the costs of running servers but it seems to me that even with a small employee base, their yearly salaries would be greater than the server cost, if not merely a significant aside.

Wanna bet?

You would still need a good amount though. Customer support, public relations/legal, management, bug fixers and game maintenance, for example. As well as building security and maintenance as well. In addition, remember the surplus remaining after server costs must be high enough to give proper incentive for employees to accept their job. No one is going to run the game full-time if it's only turning minimum wage, which is another thing to consider.

I'm not familiar with the costs of running servers but it seems to me that even with a small employee base, their yearly salaries would be greater than the server cost, if not merely a significant aside.

In this situation, Jagex will have completely forsaken the game. No one will be around to fix bugs or deal with customers. They just need to pay for the servers and other related costs.

Wanna bet?

Those costs can all be shared through more games. You don't need a customer support seperatelly for each game. Especially if a game isn't large. Jagex won't let RS die before they develop a new flagship (otherwise they would commit suicide).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Are you saying that they'll reopen the mechscape project, or make more games like transformers?

I can't phrase that properly. My point is, do you think they'll sell their resources to other companies and produce games that have a short lifespan, or will they cater to runescape's fanbase and produce similar games?

I think as long as they can profit, they'll keep servers up. How long that would be after they stop updating is questionable, (I feel that it would be short since you lose anyone who is comp-caped and not planning on 5b-xp maxing, you also lose anyone who gets bored of their goals and only comes back for updates.)

I think the game is effectively dead if they stop updating it even if the servers still run. (Take a look at classic as an example. It's not gone, but it's mostly dead)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Are you saying that they'll reopen the mechscape project, or make more games like transformers?

I can't phrase that properly. My point is, do you think they'll sell their resources to other companies and produce games that have a short lifespan, or will they cater to runescape's fanbase and produce similar games?

Judging by the outcome of those projects...I'm going to propose the assumption that Jagex will stay with Runescape until they are no longer producing an efficient revenue.

patr1ckotg1.png

Jagex' main customer base (& hence expertise) is in the "runescape-ish" market. Selling away that customer base is never clever, it would basically set jagex back to step 0. It might give them a a good amount of money, but in the end it is just stupid. (and actually destroying of a market, the new company won't have the experience running runescape, and has to learn those things)..

But that was completely beside the point I'm saying. I'm saying that jagex should, if rs playerbase start shrinking, spent most efford into creating a new game. Something that can replace rs in the long term (10+ year planning).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Judging by the outcome of those projects...I'm going to propose the assumption that Jagex will stay with Runescape until they are no longer producing an efficient revenue.

Jagex launches new studio

Dev team working on experimental game

RuneScape developer Jagex has opened a new studio outside of Cambridge, the company’s CEO has told Develop.

Whilst information about the new studio is currently being kept largely under wraps, Mark Gerhard said developers there were currently working on “a very experimental game”.

He added that Jagex would be revealing more news on its new branch in the next few weeks.

“We have the resources to add another studio, and we very much want to make more games than what we’ve committed too so far,” Gerhard told Develop.

“But the quality mark is how many great games can we make a year, rather than how many we can make a year.

He added: “We actually do already have a small studio outside of Cambridge, and that’s working on a very experimental game.”

http://www.develop-online.net/news/41508/RuneScape-developer-Jagex-launches-new-studio

Jagex: We're putting an end to 'hobby' projects

Studio boss Mark Gerhard speaks candidly about the Cambridge outfit's failed games

Many of Jagex’s previous development initiatives outside of RuneScape were treated as hobbies by the studio’s founders, claims the developer’s CEO.

In a frank interview with Develop, Mark Gerhard said users met games such as 8Realms with the appropriate response after development was not taken seriously enough.

Jagex announced in May that it was closing ithe MMO, which reportedly had only managed to attract ten per cent of the user figures needed to turn a profit.

As a result of the game's closure, a number of staff lost their jobs whlist others were move to other positions within the company.

With other projects such as MechScape cancelled and development on Stellar Dawn suspended, he said that Jagex was now focusing solely on the projects that matter.

“Candidly, our previous development initiatives were very much hobby projects from the founders, and I think they were met with an appropriate response by the community and prospective customers,” said Gerhard.

“I think the historic focus was only RuneScape really, and everything else was a little bit of a blue sky distraction. ‘Hey this will be fun, lets dabble in this, let’s go do that’. I think it’s like anything in life, unless you take it very seriously and you make the right decisions, the necessary efforts, or appropriate investment, you can’t expect success.

“I think to other projects, like 8Realms and things like that, I think that was one of the last hobby projects that we carried through, and obviously that was evident. Now it’s just working on the projects that matter.”

Jagex is now working on games such as Transformers Universe, which it hopes to release in beta by the end of the year.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/41516/Jagex-8Realms-wasnt-taken-seriously-enough

tl;dr

No more "pet projects" like Stellar Dawn and 8realms.

Opening new studios for new games and taking them more seriously instead of using the name "Jagex" and developing the games in the toilet's of RuneScape offices.

I'm glad they have decided to stop throwing out half-hearted games. Basically what gerhard said, waste of resources and time. I also agree with the new concept, "not runescape, then it doesnt need to be in this building." its no small wonder thier other projects never took off being created in the shadow of runescape. new projects need new leaders and new developers with a seperate focus.

Although the general marketing rule is, (unless ur a generalist) strengthen ur strengths and weaken ur weaknesses. So branching out to other markets is a slippery slope to walk. but hopefully with their new strategy this will work out better for them.

De_Toke.png
max.png
Quest cape since Jan. 30th, '08