Behind the Scenes: March 2013

Miss Lioness

Behind the Scenes: March 2013

New Combat Abilities and Upgrades (free players and members)

We’re making some significant under the hood changes to the way magic works, which means we can offer true dual wielding capabilities to all the mages and sorcerers out there. You'll be able to select a different auto-cast spell for each hand, or even cross-class, with any combination of magic, melee or ranged weapons in your hands.

All dual wielding will benefit from this change, as we are also reworking duel wielding damage calculations to bring them up to the power of the 2-handed weapons in the game.

We're also adding four new basic combat abilities to the host of choices available to mages and rangers. These are designed to give more choice in ability rotation and adrenaline generation, especially for deft dual wielders or two-handed titans. Highlights include the ranger's Needle Strike and the mage's Concentrated Blast, both of which raise your crit chance.

Armadyl_Warbands-01145623.png

Wilderness Warbands (members only)

Recently, Guthixian seers have sensed a shift in the attention of the gods. You see, they’ve been sending loyal followers into the grim wasteland of the Wilderness to search for sites of power; places where vicious battles took place, and where relics remain buried under the corpses of fallen warriors. They look to harvest these relics and cash in on the forgotten resources than have laid undiscovered for many an age.

In true Guthixian tradition, the seers are worried about disruption of the balance of power, and they plan to bring opposing forces together to counter the growing incursion. To do this, summoners will need to brave the hostile Wilderness and conduct secret rituals to bring forth the opposing forces into battle. Seers rarely involve themselves in combat, and most just stay and home shaking bones and reading tea leaves – so they will undoubtedly need your help.

Gameplay-wise, it’ll be a real feast of stealth, combat, and old-fashioned skilling with some fantastic rewards available. If you’re careful, you’ll be able to sneak in with a group of like-minded lunatics and conduct the ritual without even lifting a blade, bow or staff, earning extremely generous XP in Summoning and Prayer. Stealth isn’t the only option available to those of you taking up this high-risk challenge. Once the sneaking around's done with, it's time to throw down and clear out the NPC combatants! There are unique characters and even 'General' NPCs, with Slayer XP for those who defeat them. Once the dust from the fight settles, you’ll be able to raid the storage tents of the gods' minions for loot, and for Thieving, Farming, Construction and Mining experience.

Some of these contain rare new loot, including the Wand of Treachery: a new, tradeable mage weapon aimed at mid to high-level players. These NPCs will also be the first to make full use of the new combat system, using their own tactics and countering yours as they fight to protect their camp. It's a dangerous business picking up the wand, though, as it'll live up to its name and highlight you to those around as its bearer. You may end up needing to defend yourself to hang onto your prize!

Don’t forget: this is the Wilderness, and a more wretched hive of scum and villainy you will not find on the face of Gielinor. Traitors lurk on every corner, so you’ll have to be prepared for back-stabbing and item loss if you’re tempted by the rewards on offer. Such are the high risks and rich rewards of PvP combat.

Saradomin_Warbands-01145717.png

Easter…but not as you know it (free players and members)

This month we're taking a different approach to our Easter event. For years we have celebrated holidays by strangely twisting real-world parties and making them uniquely RuneScapey. That’s all fine and dandy for some, but I’d much rather celebrate dates that meant something in RuneScape and the citizens of Gielinor. Don’t worry, you’ll still get costumes, items, emotes and members-only content but it will be far less egg and bunny-themed. Right now, I won’t ruin the surprise of exactly what that event will be, but I'm confident it will mean something to each and every one of us. The majority of the event will also be available to free players.

Game Changes (free players and members)

Talking of free players, we're changing the trial system so that new players once again start off as a free player. To do this, we're making Burthorpe and Taverley part of the free game, as well as the associated quests and training areas within it. We are also allowing free players to train members’ skills up to a maximum of level 5, giving them a taster of the kind of content there is on offer for players who subscribe.

We're also making some changes to the way that run energy affects the game. All players will soon find themselves spending far less time walking as we reduce the drain rate and weight penalty, and increase the restore rate for all things run energy- related. We’re also adding an auto run feature that will automatically put you into run mode once you have the necessary energy to do so. Leveling your Agility skill will still be the best way to keep on running, even more so at lower levels, but everyone should see a marked improvement.

Other alterations we intend to make this month are changes centred around the flower games and associated 'risk' gameplay that currently dominates the Grand Exchange. Exactly what these changes are and what form they take is going to be up to you – we’ve built a variety of solutions from rules changes, content changes and even our own versions of the games - and we're planning on chatting to you to work out what solution works best for the community. Keep an eye on the news for details.

Finally, as well as some new promotions on the Squeal of Fortune and new items in the Solomon's General Store, we're making some functional improvements to the existing Solomon’s Store items. You’ll notice extra support for prestige items in the keepsake box and more flexibility with animation and weapon overrides, including the ability to select multiple overrides at the same time.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

We're also making some changes to the way that run energy affects the game. All players will soon find themselves spending far less time walking as we reduce the drain rate and weight penalty, and increase the restore rate for all things run energy- related. We’re also adding an auto run feature that will automatically put you into run mode once you have the necessary energy to do so. Leveling your Agility skill will still be the best way to keep on running, even more so at lower levels, but everyone should see a marked improvement.

Mod Mark

Don't know about you guys, but I haven't ran out of run since the last run update.

Me not as much... and I have 92 Agility at the moment =/

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Talking of free players, we're changing the trial system so that new players once again start off as a free player. To do this, we're making Burthorpe and Taverley part of the free game, as well as the associated quests and training areas within it. We are also allowing free players to train members’ skills up to a maximum of level 5, giving them a taster of the kind of content there is on offer for players who subscribe.

About [bleep]ing time.

• Like 4

Wilderness warband: Meh, hardly go into wilderness and this will not change that fact....

New abilties: Sounds good but should have been brought in with EoC when it originally was in beta mode.

Dual wielding abilties fix: should have been implemented a long time ago, inb4op abilities!!! Will go back to dung and get lvl 99 dung and get the offhands ready for dual weild fixes. Will this means momentum will become even stronger for dual wield?

Easter event: Sound decent but nothing amazing, nice to see they're not afraid of not taking a real life event and only just making it runescapey...

Run energy: Like people have said, since the last run energy update, the energy hardly runs out, due to the music bands, loadstones, more teleports etc...

Opening up a bit more of members to f2p: Doesn't really affect me, just another way for Jagex to tempt people into membership...

Seems like a quiet month for some? But what do we expect after the shambles of delaying the new quest in favour of rs07scape.....

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

The run changes concern me slightly - it sounds like perks of training agility are being dragged down some what with no replacement purpose.

Proper dual wield mage kinda excites me - Ice barrage + Bloodfire barrage for ubermage anyone?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Bet drygores will shoot through the roof now due to dual wielding fixes..

Why?

Drygores are already highly valued because despite the dual vs 2h thng they are sufficiently better than chaotics (maul specifically) to be worth using.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Bet drygores will shoot through the roof now due to dual wielding fixes..

Why?

Drygores are already highly valued because despite the dual vs 2h thng they are sufficiently better than chaotics (maul specifically) to be worth using.

Only where accuracy matters. Now they'll be strictly, unconditionally the best weapons in the game everywhere.

Other alterations we intend to make this month are changes centred around the flower games and associated 'risk' gameplay that currently dominates the Grand Exchange. Exactly what these changes are and what form they take is going to be up to you – we’ve built a variety of solutions from rules changes, content changes and even our own versions of the games - and we're planning on chatting to you to work out what solution works best for the community. Keep an eye on the news for details.

Good. The less real world traders sorry, completely legitimate players, auto-talking sorry, legitimately typing their gambling scams sorry, completely legitimate operations in the Grand Exchange, the better.

• Like 11

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Finally. It's only been forever since F2P had something good. Not saying other updates didn't help them, but they are largely ignored. Which is sad, as F2P is effectively a demo for the game as a whole, and if Jagex wants to continue to showcase something they feel is good, they need to update the demo. I like this way more then 2 free weeks of F2P because it adds 2 new areas and allows a teaser of news skills, without a time limit, which I hope will cut down on the trial bots. Plus, this may convince existing F2P to finally come over, or at least give them a reason to still play for a bit long.

I'm also happy about the new abilities additions. Right now I feel they are good, but overwhelmed by melee abilities available. While there is a enough to have a solid ability bar, I wished there are were a least 3 more abilities for a bit of variety. And with improved changes to duel wielding, I wonder how long the maul can still stay up top (for those of use who can't afford drygore).

And of course I'm excited for Warbands and Easter.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

I'm excited for combat changes, because I really disliked the lack of dual wield abilities for mage/range, and also disliked that mage and range had so few abilities in general. I'm still wishing drygore wasn't so expensive, but oh well.

Seems like a solid month considering that next week will also have the quest :)

Run energy changes is nice, but not really necessary that much. I like that it will automatically go back to running though :)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Finally. It's only been forever since F2P had something good. Not saying other updates didn't help them, but they are largely ignored. Which is sad, as F2P is effectively a demo for the game as a whole, and if Jagex wants to continue to showcase something they feel is good, they need to update the demo. I like this way more then 2 free weeks of F2P because it adds 2 new areas and allows a teaser of news skills, without a time limit, which I hope will cut down on the trial bots. Plus, this may convince existing F2P to finally come over, or at least give them a reason to still play for a bit long.

You'll see more updates coming to free to play because they aren't the coinless purses they used to be. In the old days, free players were either potential subscribers or lost causes. With the introduction of Squeal of Fortune and Solomon's Store, Jagex have added a new tier to the free to play experience: Players who don't want a subscription but still occasionally buy Runecoins or spins (more likely Solomon since Squeal will give members items).

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

This is...a strange bts. Not wholly bad. But...seemed a bit sparse.

One thing that upset me as much as it made me happy however was that they continually stated that giving p2p content to f2p arguments were just self-entitled whiners asking for "more reasons not to subscribe." Yet when they released the tutorial - the only cohesive tutorial RuneScape has ever had that threw you into the atmosphere and lore of the game as well as the mechanics - as p2p only content boxed them into a wall. So I guess what I'm wondering is...how was something like this not forseen? I dunno. That's mostly itchy grumbling.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Lots of fine tweaking, nothing much more to say.

Definitely more excited about the dual wield abilities. There isn't a sensible person alive that doesn't want dual wield to work in equity to two-handed weapons. My magic action bar actually needs another basic ability to make a full cycle, so that's useful.

I'm also happy about the new abilities additions. Right now I feel they are good, but overwhelmed by melee abilities available. While there is a enough to have a solid ability bar, I wished there are were a least 3 more abilities for a bit of variety. And with improved changes to duel wielding, I wonder how long the maul can still stay up top (for those of use who can't afford drygore).

Excuse me? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't F2P as well as P2P get the new EOC update only how long ago? It used to be that F2Pers would only get the yearly updates, such as Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, as well as possibly once in a while a little tiny thing added here or there like the SOS, or something.. People always complained about how F2P got updates when it was a small one back then, and now you're saying that it's about time that F2P, which pays nothing to the people who give you the content, has deserved this update because they haven't had one for three months?

Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, but F2P should only get major updates such as EOC, and such just because it IS a trial... The whole purpose of the Demo is so that you buy the full version, not that you eventually stick with it long enough and you have the full version. On a side note, be happy you have as much content today as you do, there was once a day where you didn't have anything but skills to train, and friends to be with. There were no activities, no anything hardly.

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

This is...a strange bts. Not wholly bad. But...seemed a bit sparse.

One thing that upset me as much as it made me happy however was that they continually stated that giving p2p content to f2p arguments were just self-entitled whiners asking for "more reasons not to subscribe." Yet when they released the tutorial - the only cohesive tutorial RuneScape has ever had that threw you into the atmosphere and lore of the game as well as the mechanics - as p2p only content boxed them into a wall. So I guess what I'm wondering is...how was something like this not forseen? I dunno. That's mostly itchy grumbling.

The sparseness is justifiable though:

4 week month (in update terms)

Assume 1 week off as normal.

1 week is taken by the delayed TWW

1 week by warbands

1 week by combat tweaks + all the other small tweaks

Pretty full month there.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

[hide]

[/hide]

Excuse me? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't F2P as well as P2P get the new EOC update only how long ago? It used to be that F2Pers would only get the yearly updates, such as Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, as well as possibly once in a while a little tiny thing added here or there like the SOS, or something.. People always complained about how F2P got updates when it was a small one back then, and now you're saying that it's about time that F2P, which pays nothing to the people who give you the content, has deserved this update because they haven't had one for three months?

Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, but F2P should only get major updates such as EOC, and such just because it IS a trial... The whole purpose of the Demo is so that you buy the full version, not that you eventually stick with it long enough and you have the full version. On a side note, be happy you have as much content today as you do, there was once a day where you didn't have anything but skills to train, and friends to be with. There were no activities, no anything hardly.

She's P2P and you're talking down at her like she's a freeloader. That's the funny thing.

• Like 2

Mod Mark

Don't know about you guys, but I haven't ran out of run since the last run update.

I was going to say the exact same thing. When I was reading the headline, I was expecting them to say that they nerfed the run-energy.

Why not just remove the run-energy thing altogether? Agility's already pretty pointless except for a few minor shortcuts here and there.

77yLQy8.png

Well up until now, none of those things have been out =d....

Account Help

The sparseness is justifiable though:

4 week month (in update terms)

Assume 1 week off as normal.

1 week is taken by the delayed TWW

1 week by warbands

1 week by combat tweaks + all the other small tweaks

Pretty full month there.

You could say that, and I know that not all released content will appeal to all players, but there is only two real things that seem to affect the core of the game announced in this bts: re-zoning a p2p section to f2p and the combat upgrades. D&D's like these flashmob things don't really hold much appeal according to precedence and bugfixes depend largely on what they try to fix before they can be appreciated.

So yes while there's a lot of content this month, it still seems pretty sparse. If at all possible, I don't really mean that to be a negative thing. After all, the largest thing about this month is the TWW quest, and I think the vanilla sort of background of this month's updates reflect that in the same way that they didn't want 07scape to steal TWW's thunder when they chose to push it back.

hzvjpwS.gif