13-May-2013 - The Nexus

Octarine

That assumes a new player will start with knowledge of the metagame.

Edited my post but I'll just add it here, seeing as it is a reply (albeit one predating your post):

Some people might say that new players wouldn't find w31 house parties, so this update would help them, but in my opinion it is a bad thing to lead new players into inefficient and afk-based methods instead of leading them to community-based efficient methods which involve playing the game.

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Keep in mind that they did state it was a more social way to acquire prayer exp. So instead of churning out the cash to attain the best possible method you could just get prayer exp there and have a chat with your fellow friends. Free prayer exp beats bankstanding :D

But ofcourse... efficiency-wise you're completely right.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I prefer the social methods, even if it means giving up an xp rate, or even gathering any useful resources. Training any skill is boring. I like talking.

I am extremely pleased to see they finally fixed the cloning hatchet/pickaxe thing. Not a common activity for me, but probably my top item.

I figure the reason this isn't f2p is because it covers pretty much the entire span of free prayers, except the final 3. This is a problem if people are using f2p to see how they like the game, because of what happens next. I imagine that perhaps gaining a few quick levels burrying, then getting all these levels fairly quickly with the new game, then trying to bury bones again would be a bit of a shock, and not in a good way. In members, there are other methods that can take over, matching or exceeding the xp rate, so that you don't have a massive drop in speed all at once, which f2p lacks (because the person who set the xp rate for the original prayer skill had a vendetta against fun).

That's my best guess.

That said, I imagine that part of the overall inconsiquential nature of the update in terms of game impact, is because it's someones first project. It's a learning experience, so in that sense it is logical to give it such little impact. Still, I do agree, it could be a nice thing for f2p to have, even if it only gave out the xp to say level 30 or 35.

Edited my post but I'll just add it here, seeing as it is a reply (albeit one predating your post):

Some people might say that new players wouldn't find w31 house parties, so this update would help them, but in my opinion it is a bad thing to lead new players into inefficient and afk-based methods instead of leading them to community-based efficient methods which involve playing the game.

So how exactly you get 700k as level 4 in a few hours? please tell me your methods I want to know

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

Men drop a lot of herbs, you can kill those pretty quickly (get some useful xp out of it as well) and tasks are worth 1-2k gp each, there's a lot of random ones you can do early on. Pre-EoC men were 200k/h or so (don't think that changed much), which means it's faster to train at men and buy bones than to do the Nexus (going by the 3h figure for completing the Nexus). I would generally assume that new players would go for the 350k figure rather than the 700k figure, which only requires about 150k/h to be faster than the Nexus.

@Randox: house parties are social and efficient ;).

Edit@below: Well that's easy :D.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

So how exactly you get 700k as level 4 in a few hours? please tell me your methods I want to know

Swamp Lizards from hunter are 200 k an hour.

Picking flax is close to 150 k per hour.

Making Soft Claw is ~110 k per hour.

Fletching Arrow shafts is 82 k per hour, making headless arrows closer to 300 k per hour.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

I doubt a level 4 fresh off the boat first goal is 40 prayer (and therefore 700k cash) anyway.

But I always thought most new players at low levels just buried the bones from whatever they are killing, which is typically hill giants/moss giants.

And on another note don't you get at least level 30 prayer just from a bunch of quests anyway? I had that all written out for when 2007 came out, but since deleted it and cbf to go check all the quests again.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

There's Restless Ghost (1125 xp) and One Piercing Note (250 xp) which require nothing.

Recruitment Drive requires killing a level 20 monster with no equipment. 1000 xp.

Priest in Peril requires killing a level 30 enemy. 1406 prayer xp.

Making History requires Restless Ghost and Priest in Peril. 1000 xp.

Rag and Bone Man requires killing a giant bat at the most. 500 xp.

Fur 'n Seek requires 25 slayer and killing a cave crawler or something. 1500 xp.

Holy Grail requires 20 attack and killing the black knight titan (who cannot move, so you can kite). 10000 xp.

Total of 16781 xp. That is level 32 and a bit.

The point still remains that Nexus isn't a very good method for early prayer training. If you spend time questing you eventually run into the problem of leveling skills for them. I f you do that you'll run into methods like altars on w31 in houses. While I wasn't a level 4, fresh on P2P I spent a lot of thing on here and Rune Wikia because I was sucking so bad at boss hunting. And i quickly learned fast and/or efficient methods for many skills.

Now I can imagine the game being hard for fresh off level 4 players. In another thread on the forum someone made a new account and commented on how hard RS is as a new player. Based on what I read here, instead of making new content like this, Jagex needs to point method players like us have already found. Jagex spot lights player forums and has a beginner guide, but doesn't make much mention of it in game.

We have task and daily challenges and the combat tutorial but how many new players are gonna go to those? Tutorial island was really the best way to help new players as it walked them through things they could do and made suggestions as to how to do better. Really all they need was an update to it and make mention to methods players use to level, and push the idea of questing to help players.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Hmmm, the mod told in the video about an amazing, deep story. In the FAQ, I read that there would be a lot of back story to the Nexus.

Now call me wrong, but in the 4 horrible hours of getting exp at a rate of 2 exp every few ticks, I only learned that there was an evil thing, it spread across the swamp. Then Augrum and that lady come over, Augrum leaves, comes back with mute druids, who place 4 obelisks. They leave, Augrum dies, and then the lady is just going to sit there, waiting for others to help her out.

Could someone tell me where I can get the awesome story?

And I'm not going to talk about the mechanics of the Nexus, we all know how we feel about this content.

It's super deep in that they threw 4 godly concepts in as 'aspects of faith' opposed to ethos already tied to specific gods and threw caution to the wind with the application of godly colours in relation to said concepts. It's SOOOOOO deep its taking everything we know and love about the godly lore and throwing it out the window for no reason at all.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well at least its not livid farming.

But, yeah there isn't much there.

Not even sound effects for pouring or sucking the corruption.

It should have been more like evil tree or something.

I'm not seeing what the social aspect of it is or the story line.

I didn't expect much but still manage to feel disappointed... good job?

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

To be fair, I thought the Grotesque referred to mod Krista, we were all dissapointed when another head came out of the hole.

I feel that was slightly uncalled for...

• Like 4

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

My reaction upon logging in:

Ah shit comp req

Woot only need to speak to the woman

10/10 update would play again.

wait.....just needed to speak to her instead of wasting 3 hours of my life....

• Like 1

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!