11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

I can't stand statistical arguments... God forbid someone decides to play by preference.

Yes, god forbid that someone uses logic and statistics to prove something is better.

It only becomes an issue when someone feels the need to call someone out for doing what they want versus being maximally efficient.

Feel free to do whatever you want, but don't go around telling people that your (bad) setup works fine or is the best or whatever if you can't stand being proven wrong.

If you are doing something because of preference then why even try suggesting it as advice? Seems monumentally stupid to me but meh...

tl;dr, if you don't care, use anything you like. If you do, use the advice that is backed up by statistics. It's that simple.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

It's not a bad setup. A bad setup is telling someone they'll be fine using the skulls crew of pincer region voyages is fine.

Why happened to being mindful of someone's play style without undercutting their interests.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

This is the efficiency debate all over again.

Our point is:

Feel free to play in whatever way you want. We honestly don't care how you choose to play a game as long as it is within the rules.

When it comes to giving advice, please don't tell people to use things/setups in a way that is clearly wrong or inferior.

• Like 4

Well back to the point of the topic:

I only need 35 more Chi & Lacquer till I'll be a proud owner of all Superior Armour sets, assuming no more mashups!

Next to that I currently have 2 Scroll Mission on the way that both will arrive at 4 am GMT!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

When it comes to giving advice, please don't tell people to use things/setups in a way that is clearly wrong or inferior.

I get the feeling that it's more about attitudes than the advice itself.

When you see people make the same mistake for the umpteenth time, it really starts getting on your nerves.

In any case, talking about crew, as i will be maxing port/ship tomorrow, i will likely go for an endgame setup of 6M/6SF/5C, 3 ox 2 jod and 2 merch instead. The reasoning behind it being that there are only two 3 stat voyages to do(5 laq and 5 plate normal), and neither require more than 3 ox(with merch and jod). I will be better served having an extra morale/sf crewman unused when i'm doing a scroll mission for whaler or convict, both of whom i have statues for.

Merchants are a waste of space and they cost you like 20% to use one.

So unless you got some random event boosters to make up the difference then are you are better off with 5 oxheads for the very common 10k, 10k, 10k missions.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

20%? even by using relative numbers instead of absolute, I have never seen success chance drop more than 10% of its original success chance without one.

Heck, even removing a crew member entirely doesn't drop that far.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Yes, but the main thing is that a jade merchant does not jeopardise the voyage enough to make it not worth putting him on a voyage. Losing 20% (even relative) success chance is only possible if your crew was not either full to begin with, or there is something wrong with your crew/ship parts setup.

I have never seen that drastic drop in my entire pop career.

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Guys, anyone with half a brain understands the worth of merchants, so it's not worth repeating it. Rather use the time and energy feeling for those less fortunate than us.

That is why it bothers me. I can tell someone how I feel something should be played, but I wont outright say they're wrong like you have. Don't tell me what I can and cannot say because it doesn't mathematically give the highest coefficiency rate. I don't give a hoot about high efficiency rates.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

That is why it bothers me. I can tell someone how I feel something should be played, but I wont outright say they're wrong like you have. Don't tell me what I can and cannot say because it doesn't mathematically give the highest coefficiency rate. I don't give a hoot about high efficiency rates.

Goodness sake, sometimes you're stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. No one is telling you what sort of crew of you can have or what sort of priorities you prefer. What they are saying, and reasonably so, is that when other people who do care about efficiency come into this thread, do not give them false or erroneous advice that isn't efficient just because you don't care about efficiency. To do so, is a disservice to those people.

I think the main reason why most people tend to resent the "mathematicians" on this forum is not because they know more about efficiency than everybody else. It's because they know more about efficiency than everybody else and they'll start getting vicious if/when you give them any opportunity to remind you that they know better than you.

Edit: bruno proves my point :P

No, you don't ridicule them; you simply put them on your ignore list. When you ridicule someone, you damage your integrity and credibility.

• Like 6

77yLQy8.png

I suffer from that too, but I don't consciencely ridicule someone for it. I'd prefer to be proven wrong than to be ignored though. But that's just me.

Back on topic.

if things go well, 72nd scroll today. Looks like my April goal might be doable after all.

tim_chenw2.png

I think the main reason why most people tend to resent the "mathematicians" on this forum is not because they know more about efficiency than everybody else. It's because they know more about efficiency than everybody else and they'll start getting vicious if/when you give them any opportunity to remind you that they know better than you.

Edit: bruno proves my point :P

No, you don't ridicule them; you simply put them on your ignore list. When you ridicule someone, you damage your integrity and credibility.

At least someone gets it...

I give you credit for finding the best suitable situation, but don't pretend like your path is the only one worth walking. Your values aren't the same as every other human being on this planet.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

You may not, but those generally asking for advice do.

I, personally, think if you're going to offer advice that is a personal preference or not the most efficient way (or if you don't know if it is the most efficient way) you should preface it as such; "Personally, I...", "My preference...", "This may not be the most efficient, but here's how I like to do it".

I mean most people don't care about what you do personally, but I think it should be common courtesy to state that it's not the most efficient method when giving advice.

Although I also don't like that people are sometimes ridiculed for giving options even when they preface it with saying it isn't the most efficient way, or their personal preference.

• Like 3

I don't care any more. Don't tell me what I can or cannot say for advice. I've progressed as much as anyone else in ports. If you want pure unbridled efficiency then don't listen to me.

On topic I lost my first rocktail soup scroll. I was hoping it would come fast, but maybe not.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

You can give as much bad advice as you want provided you warn those who might consider taking it. I don't want people thinking that x is the best option when y is better just because you said so. Perhaps add something in your signature to the effect of "Please do not take my advice seriously", or however you wish to phrase it.

• Like 2