11-Dec-2012 - Player-Owned Ports

chenw

At least someone gets it...

I give you credit for finding the best suitable situation, but don't pretend like your path is the only one worth walking. Your values aren't the same as every other human being on this planet.

Nor did Bruno ever state that his values were the same as that of every other person. What he did state was the most efficient method known to us. Obviously, to anyone who values efficiency (which happens to be a lot of the people who come to this thread asking for help), the most efficient method will... wait for it... matter! That's all bruno has been saying. What exactly is the debate, and why has this discussion been going on for several posts now? I don't think there's anything controversial here. I am far from the RS mathematician crowd, but even I am inclined to agree with them on such a non-controversial matter.

As someone who missed 2 months worth and is in the process of catching up I'm trying to kind of have an idea of what to expect and plan for. When someone posts something contrary to the de facto standard without any insight as to why... It's pretty annoying. You don't know if they figured something out to justify that or if they're just misinformed.

A couple people have posted numbers as to what a merchant on the crew usually ends up doing to success chances. That helps so thanks to those of you who have done so to support your reasoning.

• Like 1
Riqualyn.png

As someone who missed 2 months worth and is in the process of catching up I'm trying to kind of have an idea of what to expect and plan for. When someone posts something contrary to the de facto standard without any insight as to why... It's pretty annoying. You don't know if they figured something out to justify that or if they're just misinformed.

A couple people have posted numbers as to what a merchant on the crew usually ends up doing to success chances. That helps so thanks to those of you who have done so to support your reasoning.

The numbers have been posted a couple of times on this thread already, so there is no point in doing it again- if you care, you'd have no problem using the search function to find the data. I also started ports 2 months after the update and had no problem gathering the necessary information. Not to mention, it's not as if using a merchant vs not using one is even a close call and deserves to be argued over(it's usually a 11-25% boost and is worth using in any situation).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The numbers have been posted a couple of times on this thread already, so there is no point in doing it again- if you care, you'd have no problem using the search function to find the data. I also started ports 2 months after the update and had no problem gathering the necessary information. Not to mention, it's not as if using a merchant vs not using one is even a close call and deserves to be argued over(it's usually a 11-25% boost and is worth using in any situation).

Hence my point.

Riqualyn.png

Statistically, the benefit of having a merchant, in the long run, will far outweigh the number of failures that you will encounter because of the reduced success percentage because of the addition of the merchant. The Merchant (Jade) provides a 30% boost in rewards. There is no mission for which the supplanting of a normal crew with a merchant will result in anywhere near a 30% deduction in the success rate. Ergo, the rate of increased rewards is greater than the increased chance of failure. On Morale missions this is even better, as the decrease in the success rate will be less because the Merchant has some Morale stats.

Now I am no mathematician, but the above is a pretty accurate summary of their findings. They'd all agree with the above. You are free to look for the math yourself (it's somewhere lodged in this thread in some hidden chest or something), but that's (the above explanation) all you should need. The premises hold up and it's easy to test out yourself; just try arranging your crew for a bunch of different missions and you will find that in no scenario does the increased rate of failure due to the addition of a Merchant (Jade) supersede the increased rate of rewards.

The only argument I can come up with that can lead to not using a merchant is in the case where using Merchant will not decrease the number of voyages required for your goal.

For example. You are 10 chi away from making your last Seasinger piece, you have two 5x chi voyages available, if obtaining your seasinger was a top priority, then it is a good idea to not include merchants on these voyages.

However, if the chi required was say 11... Then it's clear cut.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

The only argument I can come up with that can lead to not using a merchant is in the case where using Merchant will not decrease the number of voyages required for your goal.

For example. You are 10 chi away from making your last Seasinger piece, you have two 5x chi voyages available, if obtaining your seasinger was a top priority, then it is a good idea to not include merchants on these voyages.

Yeah, use FOTS :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yeah, use FOTS :P

Would only work if you had a 10 trade good voyage as they get rounded down.

10% of 5 is 0.5 is 0 because it gets rounded down.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

70 more plate for tetsu body, I really need to get convict asap to speed this up, whaler too, but fishing... :(

Also 700kish off 90rc, so I can make my sea singer hood soon aswell for that extra defense <3:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Also, isnt it impossible to get FOTS anymore? I've had 5+ as rewards, but they don't seem to appear when i open affects tab, and I don't have any in there... >.<

Not impossible, I get them from time to time. Rare, but they exist.

odd' because i've had them in my rewards screen, but when i check effects, it doesn't show up that I've gotten them.

meamzed.png

It is max of 3 to keep.. So if you already had 3 you can't get more.

yea, as with all rewards; capped on 3, but i have none, and when they show in rewards screen the game doesn't show that I have any more; weird.

meamzed.png

What are the values for each unit of trade good in GP and what must you make to obtain those?

I'm trying to decide if I really care about plate missions anymore, since that seems to be all JaGEx wants to give me.

2dgucz6.png

I'm in the Pincers, have all four ships, and a crew full of random people. What crew members should I be looking for? I have four Judge of Dice, one for each ship, and a bunch of Pincers crew members, but what should the rest of my crew roster look like? I suppose my main goal now is for Plate to finish my Tetsu set, if that influences the optimum crew I should have.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

The generally accepted starting ground for optimal crew would be 5/5/5/3/4/3 M/C/S/JoD/Ox/Merch, then you can start playing around with the actual build a bit to suit your needs.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

So what are the names of the Combat/Morale/Seafaring guys in the Pincers? I have a couple of Travelling Bands and Ferocious Tiger-Riders, are they the Morale/Combats?

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod