7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

Getting new captains is killing me. Thus far I've only seen one seafaring one and I only have 2 crew left to buy.

At this rate my crew will be maxed before I even get a captain.

Tbf captain shortages aren't the end of the world, their stats are so poor compared to crew and ship parts anyway.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes, I rolled five 35k captains so far...four of them have negative or wrong trait(s) and the other one has two minor positive traits... it can be quite frustrating.

For ship parts upgrade after rudder, is the optimal order deck > hull > bow?

'Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' T.S. Eliot

....Do people actually USE scrimshaws? I always assumed they were too overpriced for their practicality. (especially since every single one turns to dust)

I use scrimshaws everywhere: Vampyrism for hardhitting bosses, Str/Cruelty/Elements if Dpsing, Gemfinding scrimshaw for mining.

I don't use the XP scrimshaws though

With overpriced do you mean OP for their price 

I tend to use Cruelty and Elements even in minigames like Castle Wars. There's a certain feeling to knowing you're bringing your entire tryhard A-game that scrimshaws play into!

Also Treeshaking, when I'm doing Elder daily tasks. Even if valued at the price of the best alternative (1.5m as said earlier in this thread?) I'll break even or profit before the thing disintegrates. Usually see a few Kingly's over its course. :)

2dgucz6.png

Max distance and port score. Finally.

7CLgX.png

• Like 6

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Congratulations! I wondered if there was ine.

Thanks. Can now confirm that I was indeed first. Not by alot, though.

• Like 1

Imagine what max distance would be once/if they make a third ports expansion.

13034431?

So it's not just me who thinks ports should become a separate skill and have each mile converted to 1 xp?

• Like 1

13034431?

So it's not just me who thinks ports should become a separate skill and have each mile converted to 1 xp?

With all the time delay involved it could very well act like another Farming skill, so we could probably expect the first person to max out Farming to ... oh, I see where this is going.
  • Like 6

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I have gotten all the crew (though not all the 35K captains, and even the ones I got came with traits, unfortunately), and the Admiral of the Fleet title, as well as all storylines. I only need 3 more pieces of ship upgrades and I will have everything from the new Region and then I can finally just chase trade goods.

13034431?

Considering that Dungeoneering was made into a skill, that actually sounds likely. Well, not saying that they would do it, but since they already have a minigame skill which works well, they could make Ports into a skill too. Possibly get rid of the one-ports-skill-at-lv-90 requirement (and simply prevent people from getting trade goods if they don't have ports skills or something.)

Sailing, AFK version of Dungeoneering. Get DG tokens in Dungeoneering to buy equipment/get trade goods in Sailing to craft equipment.

It would also become the slowest skill in the game (in terms of real-time elapsed since the start.)

Just reached the Loop... and argh, 50 'cotta from each 9-hour mission is frustrating!

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

~70% to shield, 1 crew to go + ship bits.

Slow and steady gets there eventually.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So as I said, just hit the loop, and I'd like some crew advice if anyone's willing to give it. xpx's bit on the front page is handy, but I can't get exiles or 35k captains yet, and I'm wondering how that changes things.

I know that I don't want to hire any wisps. Do I want to hire any reef riders? They don't seem especially useful.

I'm also assuming that I've no need to hire any new Oxheads I roll.

Current crew is: 5 m/c/s from the Pincers, 2 m from the Loop (taking em as I roll em), 2 jade merchants, 4 JoDs, one oxhead, and one Sea Witch - I'll trade out the merchants for the new ones here, as well as switching the m/c/s crew, and ditching the sea witch (and maybe the oxhead too? He hasn't been that useful either.)

As for captains, mine are all 10k: 2 morale, 1 combat, 1 seafaring, 1 speed. I'm assuming there's no point in replacing any of those until I get the 35k ones, since they're all level 7/8/9.

Thoughts?

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Ideal Loop crew has been discussed in length as well, so you can always go back and read about why you should/shouldn't do something.

In my estimation, the ideal Loop crew is 665431 MCS/TCM/JoD/Wisp with the buying order being 2 TCM-> All MCS-> Wisp-> 2 TCM. This crew assumes you manage to claim atleast 34k 'cotta, which is by no means guaranteed(most don't).

• Like 1

I'm having a mental block:

What are the best adventurer totem things to have for each resource?

Need to finally get around to getting me some pop sets and wanna speed things up a smidge.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I'm having a mental block:

What are the best adventurer totem things to have for each resource?

Need to finally get around to getting me some pop sets and wanna speed things up a smidge.

Bones are best for money at the moment so that combo is posted on the front.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

And yet bones do not help me in getting pop armour sets.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

And yet bones do not help me in getting pop armour sets.

Bones is if you want cash. You have apparently other priorities as obtaining port armours. 

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.