7-Jan-2014 - Player-Owned Ports - The Next Journey

Saradomin_Mage

Yeah I understand that... if only you could have gotten a partial success on one.

The lower your chance of success the higher your chance of partial mission success. Merchants are used on every ship anyway and fots loss is insignificant on the grand scheme of things(usually get them back next to adv rerolls). There is sound logic involved here- this was a tip i gave just a few pages into the whole topic that has been extremely beneficial to me(i've had 24 adv rerolls now since the ports II update).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I believe you've just been really lucky, xpx. I've didn't use any boosters at all during the first week of POP2, just would use 1 adventurer reroll before I did a random so my only open slot was for adventurer rerolls, and I definitely didn't fill up on adventurer rerolls (or voyage rerolls for that matter, those have been perpetually at zero since they got bugged). I probably got only 1 that week, and the rest kept getting wasted on boosters/captain/crew rerolls.

• Like 3

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I believe you've just been really lucky, xpx. I've didn't use any boosters at all during the first week of POP2, just would use 1 adventurer reroll before I did a random so my only open slot was for adventurer rerolls, and I definitely didn't fill up on adventurer rerolls (or voyage rerolls for that matter, those have been perpetually at zero since they got bugged). I probably got only 1 that week, and the rest kept getting wasted on boosters/captain/crew rerolls.

I managed to unbug my voyage rerolls by using all of my random event rewards. not sure why but it was like a soft reset and they show up now.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Don't know, but i can't imagine 24/32 being luck. Anyway, i have my voyage rerolls stuck atm also- i used to get them at times before(although even when i got them they didn't actually always show up), but now, they seem to have been eliminated from the reward table(same for most other things like lifeboats, tint glasses, capt rerolls etc). In any case, i've had my rewards capped for months now, and although i used to experience something similar to what you guys have(not getting any rewards) for some time, i've been consistently getting loads and loads of adv rerolls the last month. I think i'm on a streak of 8 in a row now.

Also, even if this is a bug, the fact of the matter remains that some rewards are useful while others offer negligible bonuses at best. Capping crappy rewards does definitely help, even when you don't get anything at all alot of the time(but then again, getting crappy rewards is just the same as getting nothing, atleast to me).

90% of the time I get Random Rewards that are already capped. I've been trying to save up 3 of each stat boosters, I am at 1 morale booster and 1 seafaring booster...

Never use any booster or any crew/captain rerolls. It's just stupid- they provide little to no advantage. Voyage and adventurer rerolls are the only ones that provide a tangible advantage. Just a shame that voyage rerolls are partially broken.

If I can use a booster to succeed on a mission I would otherwise likely fail, I wouldn't say that's no advantage. And I definitely used my captain rerolls whenever I got them until I hit 5x 10k captains; a chance at getting another one before I was full on em was definitely not a waste. The consumable that boosts voyage reward is also definitely not a waste. Crew rerolls are really useful if you're out of daily rerolls but still need to buy better crew (and have the resources to do so).

What you're saying may be true for those who are at the very end of ports, but it's definitely not true before then. And I agree with the others who have said that you've been unusually lucky in not getting capped rewards from your randoms; I get them allll the time.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

If you really think about it, the boosts are highly negligible. They offer no guarantees. There is a reason adventurer rerolls are much more rare than other rewards in the first place. This is, again, about logic. A short term gain for long term pain, to me, is stupid. Perhaps it's something of a social issue that can be compared the credit card/consumption loaning culture. People like to use money they don't have, while the smart choice is to save up money and to not live beyond what you can afford. Capping most rewards is definitely the smart choice here, but it may seem wasteful when you can't get everything right here, right now. Patience is a virtue.

Random event rewards are independent of how many rewards you currently have. You should be using them before you hit the cap.

That's what everyone was lead to believe. I'm 100% sure this is not true. Remember how woox managed to max distance 5 days before anyone else? Yeah, he capped everything but voyage/adv rerolls. Anyway, i might try to get a random and then do it on beta for some tens of times to show what rewards i get.

Jagex patched random events to give you rewards for any type instead of only those you didn't max. By exploiting that mechanic before it was fixed, that's how Woox got max distance so quick. So I don't think it works that way anymore. :s But yes it definitely used to work in that fashion.

hzvjpwS.gif

Jagex patched random events to give you rewards for any type instead of only those you didn't max. By exploiting that mechanic before it was fixed, that's how Woox got max distance so quick. So I don't think it works that way anymore. :s But yes it definitely used to work in that fashion.

Well, evidently, it's not patched. All they fixed is the fact that you can't get many randoms in one day. Also, it's not as though i'm getting 3 adv rerolls every day- i've never gotten more than one and the other two rewards have usually been things that are capped(apart from when i've used fots/rare chance of voyage).

Well, evidently, it's not patched. All they fixed is the fact that you can't get many randoms in one day. Also, it's not as though i'm getting 3 adv rerolls every day- i've never gotten more than one and the other two rewards have usually been things that are capped(apart from when i've used fots/rare chance of voyage).

Oh, you're saying that you'll only get 2 capped rewards from each random? That might actually be true.

Oh, you're saying that you'll only get 2 capped rewards from each random? That might actually be true.

There is around 20-30% chance that i get 3 capped rewards. Other than that, yeah, the usual reward is adv reroll/voyage reroll and 2 capped rewards.

There is around 20-30% chance that i get 3 capped rewards. Other than that, yeah, the usual reward is adv reroll/voyage reroll and 2 capped rewards.

Yeah you might be onto something

6QGQd.png

• Like 3

Anyway, quotes from much earlier in this thread:

I'm at 51% to the next zone, and I've only seen two scrolls and four stories, all success, but still a really low rate. At this rate I'll have the scrolls for the cape before the Shield, and maybe the ring, but definitely not the stories or the items.

Do you all still have every random event item capped except for adv rerolls? because you should be getting an adv reroll at around a 60% clip. I've had 5/7, so far, though yeah, i've also been lucky with the missions i've got.

I was under the impression that that was fixed, so I don't have all items capped. I did get an adventurer reroll (700 steel from the Biologist, nothing else  -.-), so even better scroll luck there  -.-.

They have never fixed anything...

• Like 1

I doubt it's smart to get more than two of them. I have one, I am thinking of getting a second one.

49% to Shield. Sent out my final scroll voyage.

Currently I have bought the rudder, 1 wisp, 3m/2c/2s crew.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

From what I've seen so far it seems to me like optimum crew at this stage would be roughly.

5m/5c/5s/4merch/4jod

With either 1 wisp 1 ox or 2 wisp filling the last slots.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

From what I've seen so far it seems to me like optimum crew at this stage would be roughly.

5m/5c/5s/4merch/4jod

With either 1 wisp 1 ox or 2 wisp filling the last slots.

I like the 4 JoD but I'd be more likely to take 5m/6c/6s/4merch/4jod. Don't see the benefit of the ox/wisp

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

4 jod? don't like that because at level 10 loop crew, they will a hindrance for everything but triple missions. 4 jod also assumes you don't do single stat missions. 3 is more than enough to me. Ox is pointless. One wisp can be useful.

4 jod? don't like that because at level 10 loop crew, they will a hindrance for everything but triple missions. 4 jod also assumes you don't do single stat missions. 3 is more than enough to me. Ox is pointless. One wisp can be useful.

So your going 5m/6c/6s/4merch/3jod/1wisp?

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

substitute one s for m, but yeah. part of wisps assignments will be single s missions because of the speed req.

i just received my first incidence of the bug, got an adv reroll, but it didn't add to my stockpile, guess this might be a downward spiral...

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

i just received my first incidence of the bug, got an adv reroll, but it didn't add to my stockpile, guess this might be a downward spiral...

Uhhh, never had that. And i think that might lead to adv rerolls being blocked completely(just as i had my voyage ones). I think it would be good to try and unlock some categories to see if that fixes it(as someone stated earlier). You can do this testing on beta, too.