Elf City – Design Documents - General Elf City Discussion

Miss Lioness

it's not even power creep, they just never designed the game to work with all the levels it had, and then pushed everybody into that zone when they made skillcapes and then in a third genius stroke, designed the game around those players rather than the ones that their content was actually meant to serve

if they had just capped the levels where their content ended, they could have saved themselves all the trouble

Very true. n my 'head cannon' of a game based on my own fantasy world from my writing I always had the feature of different stats capping out at different levels based on their actual content & capping xp at max level too.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• 1 month later...

Figure, this might as well go here to keep discussion around Elf City at one place :).

Hefin Agility Course

I'm currently designing the agility course in the Hefin section of Prifddinas, so would like to gather your ideas to incorporate into the design.

We're at the brainstorming stage where no idea is too crazy, so let your creative juices flow! 

Things I'd particularly like to hear are:

* Which specific agility course actions did you find really memorable and would like to see again?

* What agility animations would you like to see in RuneScape that have never been done before!

* What do you hate about existing agility courses? What agility interactions would you like to keep out of the elf city?

Agility animations include those from courses, shortcuts, minigames and quests.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I liked their concept of one really long agility course across the entire city which is broken up into several smaller portions so you can choose to do either those smaller portions like a normal course, or the one really big one for a larger payoff if you have the time for it

and that those courses could also be the shortcuts

also, more wall runs because they're silly and the most exercise a pc will ever get

8f14270694.jpg

New video up:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

The concepts for the ranged and mage shields and pick and axe look really nice.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Moved to the General Elf City Discussion topic.

I pretty much would´ve fallen of my chair, if it wasn´t for the fact that I am lying on my bed.

Account Help

When I first saw that, I thought it was concept art, not in-game! It's gorgeous, albeit rather bright.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some changes has been made:

[spoiler=Meilyr Clan Changes]

Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I've been switching over to help on the Elf City. I've initially been given the Meilyr clan to work with and I've refined and expanded some parts of the initial design, while cutting others that might not have worked so well in practice!

For your reference:
The original design document can be found here.
And a seperate list of changes here.

Combination potions

I've filled out some of the gaps in potions, so that you have full sets of potions and tweaked others where the amount of different combinations were getting quite crazy. A few additional suggestions have also been included!

Super Strength+, Super Ranging+ and Super Magic+ have been renamed to "Grand Strength" and variants.
Grand Defence and Grand Attack have been added, requiring level 78 and 79.
Firestorm, Wildfire and Burning potions have been added, as combinations of extreme potion types focused on Melee, Magic and Ranged respectively from the initial feedback requiring level 91.
Extreme Serum has been added, combining all effects of the extreme potions requiring level 93.
Adrenaline restore has been added, using an Adrenaline and Super Restore as ingredients and granting both potions effects requiring level 87.
Supreme Attack and Supreme Defence have been added to match the Supreme Strength, Magic and Ranged all requiring level 93.
Super Prayer Renewal has been added, combining a Prayer renewal and Prayer Restore potion. This will restore the same amount of Prayer as a regular Prayer potion, and restore more than a regular Prayer renewal over time.
Enhanced Overload has been added, combining Overload, Prayer Renewal, Prayer Restore, Super Antifire, Antifire and Super Antipoison to combine all effects into one. This applies the effects of Extreme Antifire and Super prayer renewal and requires level 97.
Supreme Overload has been added, combining Overload, Super Attack, Super Strength, Super Defence, Super Ranged and Super Magic to boost stats at the supreme level (16% + 4) requiring level 98.
Enhanced Supreme Overload has been added, combining Supreme Overload and the ingredients of Enhanced overload (regular overload excluded) to add the same effects requiring level 99.
Extreme Antifire timer has been reduced to 6 minutes, but retains it's effects against skeletal wyverns. See "Herblore Changes" for more information!
Strength Antifire, Ranging Antifire and Magical Antifire have been removed as I didn't feel they were worthwhile compared to other potions utilising antifires.
Renew Adrenaline has been removed in favour of restore adrenaline.
Prayer Overload, Antifire Overload, Adrenaline overload and Renewal overload have been removed in favour of new enhanced overload variants.
Perfect Plus potion doses will last 4 hours, rather than 24 hours. It was originally expected that this would be a single-dosed potion, but this wasn't clear in the design documents. You will receive 6 doses, totaling 24 hours but allowing you to choose when to use each 4 hour section!

Herblore Changes

One of the small but irritating things is that the potion timers are inconsistent - some last 5 minutes, some 6 and others somewhere in the middle. These will all be brought in line to a standard 6 minutes.

Juju potions will be made to last across logout, rather than expiring when you logout.

Juju potions will be added to the timer panel which shows effects you have running.

Harmony Monoliths

The initial design for these farming spots hasn't changed much - rather than being based on the challenge system skills they will be both random and unique: no 2 patches would contain the same skill.

This is in order to encourage more diversity in training, rather than toggling skills from the challenge system so you always gain boles for the skills you happen to be training currently.

For clarity, the skill of focus will change on your first login each day unless you have planted a seed in the patch, in which case it will be constant.

The juju mining potion effect will be restored to its original prior to Divination, and the perfect mining potion will combine both the old and new effects.

Resource dungeons

The design of these areas has been tweaked recently - they're still awaiting approval and so I won't post them yet! blk.gif

[spoiler=Hefin Clan Changes]

Inspired by Mod Hunter's post, here's an update on what's changed with one of the clans I'm developing for batch 2:

* The serenity post daily activity now awards "real" Agility XP rather than bonus XP.

* The 4 poses from the serenity posts will now be available as emotes. These will be unlocks from the Hefin agility course.

* The original plan for the Hefin agility course was to do laps of the middle circle of the city. I gathered feedback from you, and have taken into this account when designing a smaller course focused around the Hefin cathedral, with a parkour/free-running theme. One of the core points of feedback was a dislike for running the same circuit over and over again, so there will be occasional shortcuts that pop up to vary your route.

* Cleansing Seren stones has been implemented. The intention is for it to be a lower-intensity more social Prayer activity, slightly less effective and less costly than existing gilded altar methods, so that those that want the best XP rates continue to be rewarded for their efforts.

Account Help

I very much like the herblore changes; the original potion list was decent for brainstorming, but it definitely needed cleaning up before implementation.

Also:

Juju potions will be added to the timer panel which shows effects you have running.

YES THANK YOU SO MUCH AHHHHH

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Some of the new combo pots sound far more appealing to me enhanced and supreme overloads certainly sound neat.

Plus flattening all the effects to 6 minutes rather than awkward mismatched timers in 1 pot is a nice touch.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Not going to lie, slightly saddened to see the simple Renewal Ovl tossed out.

The new enhanced/supreme ovls sound good too though, but the idea sounds iffy to me. We're supposed to take a bunch of 4 dose vials, toss them into the crystal flask and get a 6 dose flask. So what the heck happens for us to make the next ovl, starting from a 6 dose cflask? It sounds like we either have to drink 2 doses (and they allow for anything 4 dose to work, be it flask or vial), or else they're going to make some changes to the general idea or something needlessly complicated. Combo pot of a combo pot. Nty.

• 2 weeks later...

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/a=13/which-elf-clan-do-you-belong-in-take-our-quiz?jptg=ia&jptv=community_news

Which Elf Clan Do You Belong In? Take Our Quiz!

Prifddinas is just a stone’s throw away now. To help you while away the hours until the elf city opens its gates, we’ve got a little treat for you.

We’ve made a quiz over on our Facebook page, telling you which elf clan you belong in!

Each elf clan has its own quirks, specialities and strengths – and through an incredibly scientific method* of assessing your personality traits, we’re able to place you into your Elven spiritual home, just in time for the crystal gates opening up this September.

So, are you a noble Cadarn? An ambitious Iowerth? How about a spiritual Hefin? To find out, head to our Facebook quiz and compare your results with your friends!

When you’ve found out your elven clan, make sure you refresh your mind about them with our ‘Road

To Elf City’ YouTube series:

Watch the Iowerth & Cadarn video

Watch the Trahaearn & Crwys video

Watch the Ithell & Amlodd video

Watch the Hefin & Meilyr video

The RuneScape Community Team

*Not wholly (or partially) scientific!

Account Help

Another elf teaser!

Teaser steam gokng on at the moment.

The release of the elf city is this monday.

Rush of blood is a weekly slayer dnd. Its rewards include everything the original mosters would have dropped during the endurance mode. There is one reward that is being kept hidden.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

To me it really seemed that they were really struggling to come up with new and exciting things to talk about in the elf city for a whole hour on the livestream. Yes, it's nice and has quite a few useful things, but it's not really as great as what i'd have hoped for given the effort. I suppose most of it is because the second batch will integrate quite a bit more things and thus meet more of the expectations. It's also really annoying to see how bad mods at jagex are at their own game.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I think the livestream has more to do the fact there isn't a lot to really show off.

We've had the contents of the city pretty throughly explained and there isn;t exactly interest in showing us mining or wcing or farming spots beyond LOOK ITS HERE.

The only playable unique content is really the slayer D&D.

Between keeping some stuff secret, and it just being general training methods theres just not  lot to show off beyond it looking nice.

Batch 2 can fair mildly better because it has crystal singing, motherlode and  the agility course, but again beyond that there isn't exactly much to show off that isn't just generic stuff.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Anyway, as i haven't really followed all the development of the city and what not, it really surprised me that they are having all this fuss about crystal singing and releasing all these new weapons when they are only t70 and t80. I mean, the t70 makes all the sense in the world given the history and all, although they are useless from the beginning. That said, i see no reason at all to release a t80 tier given how many weapons we already have in that tier and the dire need to expand the t85 tier. If the second batch of crystal weapons has high enough skilling and time requirements, having them in the t85 tier makes all the sense in the world. This way they won't be useless and will help to create more balance among classes (both in terms of the triangle and wealth).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I hope that being t80, they are equal to t80, but the bonus you get from agility makes them useful and on pay with t90 given how horrid agility is to train

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum