[19-05-2014] Ancient Combat

Miss Lioness

Ancient Combat

Get ready for another big batch of Zarosian content: Ancient Combat.

Claim the lore-filled Codex Ultimatus from the Dig Site's archaeological expert, then read it to unlock three level 75 combat abilities, plus a group healing ability requiring 91 Constitution.

Summon four new nihil familiars, and embark to Freneskae on nihil and muspah slayer assignments. Tool up with new dragon equipment: a magic-style shield, a hasta, and throwing knives.

Read on for more information, or log into RuneScape now!

ancient_combat_news-19094150.jpg

Try a Little Tendril-ness

Once you've completed the Dig Site quest and have at least one out of 75 Attack, 75 Magic, 75 Ranged and 91 Constitution, speak to the archaeological expert at the Dig Site Exam Centre.

He'll hand you the Codex Ultimatus: a tome filled with Zarosian lore, focusing on Zaros's battle with the many-headed beast god Loarnab. Read the book, and you'll unlock four new combat abilities while you're at it.

Three of these are deadly threshold abilities:

• Blood Tendrils (75 Attack): Deals up to 180% weapon damage to your target instantly, then inflicts 90% of weapon damage over time to the target, and 25% weapon damage over time to the caster.
  • Shadow Tendrils (75 Ranged): Hits the caster 2-5 times, for a total of 33-250% weapon damage, then damages the target for 66-500% weapon damage in a single hit.
  • Smoke Tendrils (75 Magic): Deals up to 100% weapon damage to the target, then three more hits as a combo attack: up to 125%, 150%, and 200% weapon damage. During the combo, the caster suffers three hits of up to 25%, 50%, and 100% weapon damage.

Note that the damage incurred from casting these abilities is proportional to that caused to your enemy, and it can kill you. They're powerful, but dangerous, and it's up to you to manage the risk!

Finally, there's Ice Asylum (91 Constitution): an ultimate ability that conjures a healing crystal of ice. Every four seconds, this heals up anyone within range for 1-7% of their maximum life points, depending on how close they are to the crystal. The total amount healed (shared among everyone affected by the crystal) is three times the caster's maximum life points, including armour and other flat boosts.

Please note: we're trying something new with these abilities. The tendril abilities were conceived as ultimates, but changed to thresholds after testing, and Ice Asylum is the first static AoE heal-over-time ability in the game. As always, your feedback is vital - we're looking forward to seeing how you use these abilities, and getting your feedback on the forums.

You Look Familiar

Those of you who've completed Fate of the Gods now have access to nihil and muspah slayer targets, nihil summoned familiars and new dragon equipment drops.

ancient_combat_news-19090450.jpg

Nihil and muspah slayer assignments must be unlocked for 50 slayer points, after which they can be assigned by Kuradal.

The nihil drop ingredients that - with 87 Summoning and completion of the quest - can be used with elder energy, elder charms and pouches to make nihil familiars.

The blood nihil is a melee combatant, the shadow nihil uses ranged, and the smoke and ice nihil fight with magic. The first three have a combat level of 160, and the latter is 150, with an additional chance to apply a hidden accuracy or defence debuff to the target. You'll also get a 5% increase to your accuracy, if your combat style is the same as your active nihil familiar's.

All nihil familiars have the same special move - Annihilate - which works like Bull Rush, damaging and stunning the target (note that the stun does not work in PvP).

We've added a Nihil Transmute ability at Divination level 81, which allows you to expend elder energy to turn the ingredients dropped by the nihil into other types. Since the nihil types spawn at random and only drop their corresponding ingredients, this is sure to come in handy.

Finally, the Freneskae muspah now have a chance to drop new dragon equipment: the dragon ward, dragon hasta and dragon throwing knives.

ancient_combat_news-19090341.jpg

There's more power than ever to be found in Freneskae, for those brave enough to claim it. Complete Fate of the Gods, if you haven't already, and unlock the secrets of the Empty Lord's home.

The RuneScape Team

In Other News
  • Daily, weekly and monthly D&D tokens have returned to Treasure Hunter.
  • The Fairy Ring interface has been updated and improved, including new 'favourites' functionality.

[spoiler=Patch notes]Graphical: 

• Teleporting using the Sixth Age circuit will now play the correct teleport animation.
  • The lesser demonflesh mask override no longer removes beards.
  • The TokHaar brute head override no longer removes beards.
  • Players can no longer turn invisible by using magical or enchanted eggs with certain emotes. 
  • The smithing animation now displays correctly when using a sacred clay or golden hammer. 
  • The hateful heart now overrides bound orbs. 

Skills, D&Ds & Minigames: 

• Defence XP rewards from Court Cases no longer give Attack XP.
  • Eucalyptus logs can no longer be taken into Castle Wars.
  • An issue where some players had a zoomed in camera during the Conquest minigame, and that allowed players to zoom in and out using the mouse wheel / PgUp & PgDn functionality, has been fixed. 
  • Audio now continues to play throughout the whole of a game of Heist. 
  • Some text on the Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza abilities interface has been changed to be more accurate.
  • Players can no longer drag and drop minigame items whilst in Soul Wars and Barbarian Assault. 

Quests, Challenges and Achievements: 

• Players can now rewatch the memories after completing the Rune Memories quest. 
  • Players can now switch their order colour without re-taking the Rune Guardian's test after Rune Memories.
  • The old Wizard Tower's basement can now be re-entered as a non-instanced area after Rune Memories.
  • Enakhra's Lament no longer lists the Crumble Undead spell as a requirement. 
  • Players now only need to have done all of the Hard Falador tasks to trade in 50 white lily seeds to the gardeners in Falador park. 

Other: 

• The Fairy Ring interface has been updated and improved, including new 'favourites' functionality. 
  • There are now keybinds connected to the spirit tree teleports. 
  • Some scrolling text has been added to the second trade interface to account for long item names. 
  • A typo in the 'Items kept on death' tooltip has been fixed. 
  • The bug report interface now allows the correct number of characters when reopening the interface.
  • Players can now keepsake their gravite weapons. 
  • Combat brawling gloves now use one charge per 1k XP gained.
  • Players using brawling gloves with stored bonus XP will now have the correct amount of bonus XP subtracted.
  • Clan Avatars can no longer be summoned in the Grand Exchange. 
  • Depositing more than one non-stackable item in to a bank no longer briefly displays the item as stacked in the inventory.
  • Players will no longer be stopped from cooking when they burn food if they have not seen the new burnt food tutorial notifications because they have their guidance system hints turned off. 

Ninja Fixes: 

• The reward book from completing Troll Invasion will now be placed directly into a players inventory. 
  • There is now a left click 'Recharge' option on the Fountain of Heroes.
  • Dragonbane ammo now takes effect against the Queen Black Dragon.
  • The damage buff from using bane ammunition has been increased.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Patch notes added.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Aww yess!

Account Help

•Combat brawling gloves now use one charge per 1k XP gained.

• Players using brawling gloves with stored bonus XP will now have the correct amount of bonus XP subtracted.

GG That method, for the few people abusing the hell out of it.

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Dragonbane bolts are STILL t60, with a damage value of 576.

So at least dragonbane bolts are unchanged from the last buff. And dragonbane bolts and arrows are all anyone would even use...So who knows what the hell they meant by their "buff". It has to be something hidden, you'd think, but ehhh.

hzvjpwS.gif

Do you have to be on a slayer task to receive the new dragon stuff? Does anyone know?

edit:

I guess killing 400+ wasn't enough for a simple dragon drop..lol. Pathetic.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

I like how after working to rebalance all counter-part abilities for balance of the styles they go and ruin it immediately with these new ones.

Melee - 280% weapon damage with 25% dmg to you.

Ranged - Up to 500% weapon damage with up to 250% damage to you.

Magic - Up to 575% weapon damage with up to 175% to you.

I know there is some variance in weapon damage stats between the styles, but these numbers see a bit to far apart to be balance, especially melee.

All in all I'm not too enamoured with these abilities, though the heal one will certainly be a nice addition to some group pvm situations.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Don't think so, though that might be added in the future. Hoping it counts as 4 Nihils or something.

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

If they're going to add a Nex drop to the Nihils and make it that rare, I fail to see the point or reasoning behind it other than to reinforce the connection between Nex and the Nihil. May aswell add Seismic Wand and Orb to Goblin drop tables and make it a 1/10000000000000000000000000000000 chance.

Sylpheed.png

Confirmed as 1/1,000,000 droprate by Mod Dean.

https://twitter.com/JagexDean/status/468346547399180288

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Confirmed as 1/1,000,000 droprate by Mod Dean.

https://twitter.com/JagexDean/status/468346547399180288

I feel like that is unnecessarily rare. Why even have it?

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I know there is some variance in weapon damage stats between the styles, but these numbers see a bit to far apart to be balance, especially melee.

Well melee's tendrils are an instant as opposed to a combo attack, which is why it hits much less.

Ranged's attack looks way too random though, a low end of 66% is quite off-putting.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Well melee's tendrils are an instant as opposed to a combo attack, which is why it hits much less.

Ranged's attack looks way too random though, a low end of 66% is quite off-putting.

The fact it is an instant a not a combo in of itself kinda makes my point though - these are supposed to be counterparts to each other yet they entirely different functions.

I mean the dmg output vs what you take doesn't even correlate.

Melee you take a little over 1/11th of the damage you inflict.

Ranged you take 1/2 the damage you inflict.

Whilst mage is around 1/3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

IPtVqeQ.gif

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

I'd like to ask which thrown weapon you're using to hit that hard. Death Lotus darts?

Also lol ability queueing bug, bombard snap tendrils there

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yeah, DL darts. No damage boosting armour/potions.

Bombard -> Tendrils -> Snap Shot.

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Yeah, DL darts. No damage boosting armour/potions.

Bombard -> Tendrils -> Snap Shot.

Ranged passed magic yet :P ? Because with that kind of damage...:O 

Go get overloads + That 95 ranged prayer + Sirenic and try it now :p

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak