Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

I have to agree. It would be nicer to "reward" people by doing such a huge bonus the NEXT month. If people quit temporarily because of being busy, they might come back sooner seeing limited-time incentives.

Although, on the other hand, I think their line of thinking was kind of, "We're offering extra incentives so that the time you ARE able to spend is worth more." Even if that's really not the truth..

2dgucz6.png

The issue is the player mindset.

During the week people are busy with work/school. Most people study/work late on the weekdays and use the weekends to relax. I know I never once spent my weekends studying, although I was sometimes up until 1-2AM studying on school nights.

So with the assumption people will play less during the weekdays in May - which I'm sure they have player statistic data supporting this trend - then giving "double" stuff on weekends allows those people to "make up for lost weekday time".

However the mindset of a portion of the community just seems to think "great, now I have to stay up 20 hours of scaping so I can save myself 20 hours of training in the future. Time to plan my life around RS and stock up on some energy drinks."

The latter has more problem than the former. Personally I do fall in the latter group, but I typically have no weekend plans anyways and already spend my time scaping.

I plan to get Artisan's Workshop out of the way for trim to save myself like 40m~ - and use whatever remaining time I have hunting for SOTG. If I get SOTG I'll be heading to Runespan to try and cut down some of my time there (I hate it there)

• Like 2

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

only benefits I enjoy out of this is bonus slayer points and dungeoneering xp/tokens, especially since I'll probably hit 99 that weekend. (well... close to 99. I still want my Farming cape first)

Popoto.~<3

It's not Jagex's fault that some people don't have good self control.

>Not Jagex's fault

>Actively and intentionally enabling these players by rewarding them at the worst possible time

That is like offering a former crack addict free crack.

I mean, they know it is bad, and they are trying to resist, but you are trying to break them. Not cool.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I'll be playing the same amount of time over May as I usually do, 4-5 hours a week.

I would agree, if they hadn't outright stated that they knew people were busy. They know its a bad time and they've gotta know what a lot of their player base is like. 

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Someone made a good point (I think on RSOF, could have been on there though) that maybe they're saying that because they know people can't play as much, so they put double exp and stuff during that time so that people can play half of their usual play time and get double xp/points/whatever to make up for it.

If that's indeed the case, then the intention is good, but how could they not have noticed that the player base is *crazy* about exp and all that stuff, so the result would only be people neglecting RL work in order to take advantage of the promo as much as possible.

only benefits I enjoy out of this is bonus slayer points and dungeoneering xp/tokens, especially since I'll probably hit 99 that weekend. (well... close to 99. I still want my Farming cape first)

Pures can't dg

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Someone made a good point (I think on RSOF, could have been on there though) that maybe they're saying that because they know people can't play as much, so they put double exp and stuff during that time so that people can play half of their usual play time and get double xp/points/whatever to make up for it.

If that's indeed the case, then the intention is good, but how could they not have noticed that the player base is *crazy* about exp and all that stuff, so the result would only be people neglecting RL work in order to take advantage of the promo as much as possible.

It sounds good in theory, but that's not how special events, or bonus events, work in practice. Usually people go all out when those happen. And moreover, Jagex knows this. We have only had such events dozens of times in recent years, and we know that Jagex compiles data on those. They did peddle out '24 hour' T-Shirts, of course. They are well aware that the player-base will go into overdrive, and are counting on that. 

>Not Jagex's fault

>Actively and intentionally enabling these players by rewarding them at the worst possible time

Typically when Jagex does this, they can have 'plausible deniability'. But this time they are openly acknowledging it, and celebrating the fact that they are doing this. That they are actually enabling people, and preying on people with low self control. And for what? They have plenty of months with lackluster updates, such as this April, worst updates in ages. I didn't see them pulling out all the stops this month. And yet, next month, which they acknowledge is a busy one for people, somehow needs to be jam-packed?

There's no excuse for this. Jagex can be scum sometimes.

>Not Jagex's fault

That is like offering a former crack addict free crack.

I mean, they know it is bad, and they are trying to resist, but you are trying to break them. Not cool.

There is a reason these notorious promos have been in May/Sept/Dec

May: Trying to get people back to continue through the summer

Sept: Try getting the people to stay after summer

Dec: Try to entice the giving spirit/spending trends toward their game

These guys arent marketing idiots.Their events have a purpose monetarily

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Welcome to the world. We are all innately greedy. If you have high self control you learned how to control yourself with situations similar to this. You were taught what was more important to persue: need is greater than desire.

• Like 2

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Also I believe accounts should be able to log into both 07 and EOC from the same account. The guys who multilog ATM arent going to unsub because they dont want to restart new accounts and the guys who didnt cheat before will be able to keep on par with those who do

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Also I believe accounts should be able to log into both 07 and EOC from the same account. The guys who multilog ATM arent going to unsub because they dont want to restart new accounts and the guys who didnt cheat before will be able to keep on par with those who do

This discussion should be split from this topic.

I don't get the whole "I will unsub if..." that statement holds the same tune as the players who say "I will quit if..." if you are going to do it then fine. Enjoy the consequences. Either you quit and find other persuits in life or you unsub and... what will you do? Enjoy the little dribbling bits of xp and exploration of f2p? I highly doubt you would unsub. Regardless if you are mainly an rs3 or osrs player they have you by the balls. If you unsub you lock yourself out of osrs.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Welcome to the world. We are all innately greedy. If you have high self control you learned how to control yourself with situations similar to this. You were taught what was more important to persue: need is greater than desire.

Not all of us are this callous though. Yes, everyone is geared to pursue their self-interest, but some of us do keep some regard for others. I could make a lot of money by peddling crack to crack addicts, but for some reason or another, I don't.

Not all of us are this callous though. Yes, everyone is geared to pursue to their self-interest, but some of us do keep some regard for others. I could make a lot of money by peddling crack to crack addicts, but for some reason or another, I don't.

yeah that's the things though... some regard. Jagex has that unlike crack dealers who plainly want their money. Jagex isn't putting a gun to your head ready to pull the trigger without concern. They so have concern and interest in healthy playing habits. They just aren't holding your hand guiding you. The world lacks common sense and personal accountability. This would be another example of that if a person choose a game over a carrier.
  • Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Not all of us are this callous though. Yes, everyone is geared to pursue to their self-interest, but some of us do keep some regard for others. I could make a lot of money by peddling crack to crack addicts, but for some reason or another, I don't.

yeah that's the things though... some regard. Jagex has that unlike crack dealers who plainly want their money. Jagex isn't putting a gun to your head ready to pull the trigger without concern. They so have concern and interest in healthy playing habits. They just aren't holding your hand guiding you. The world lacks common sense and personal accountability. This would be another example of that if a person choose a game over a carrier.

Actually the fact that they are doing this is indicative of their complete lack of regard for the personal health and habits of their playerbase. They are openly and shamelessly taking advantage of people who don't know any better, and are proudly acknowledging it. I can't think of any way to spin this incident in any positive light. Perhaps on their next BTS they can proudly boast that since stealing candy from babies is very easy, that they will now actually start doing that.

• Like 1

Actually the fact that they are doing this is indicative of their complete lack of regard for the personal health and habits of their playerbase. They are openly and shamelessly taking advantage of people who don't know any better, and are proudly acknowledging it. I can't think of any way to spin this incident in any positive light. Perhaps on their next BTS they can proudly boast that since stealing candy from babies is very easy, that they will now actually start doing that.

Well I can see how this is going to keep sounding like a beating drum. In this case it boils down to how you not only interpret, but also percieve their actions.
  • Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Their statistics state that the average player plays a little over an hour each day.

A few people seem to have fallen into an XP Craze and have become more and more addicted to the game as time has gone on. People have stopped playing the game for fun - or if it isn't efficient "it isn't fun". Minigames dead left and right - content dead on arrival if it isn't efficient.

Stop and smell the roses. If you find you don't actually enjoy the roses, leave the garden (the game) and go play something you actually enjoy. Each and every day I see too many players who actively state they HATE playing this game, but continue to play.... I just don't get it.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

Their statistics state that the average player plays a little over an hour each day.

A few people seem to have fallen into an XP Craze and have become more and more addicted to the game as time has gone on. People have stopped playing the game for fun - or if it isn't efficient "it isn't fun". Minigames dead left and right - content dead on arrival if it isn't efficient.

Stop and smell the roses. If you find you don't actually enjoy the roses, leave the garden (the game) and go play something you actually enjoy. Each and every day I see too many players who actively state they HATE playing this game, but continue to play.... I just don't get it.

I would like to see their stats for bonus weekends like the 4 in may. While the average may be one hour per day do most players stick to that during bonus weekends, or do most go crazy

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Pures can't dg

You need moar defence then. :twss:

Popoto.~<3

Ah, that argument again..  Is it so hard to believe that some of us might like the game but not the direction it's headed in?

I said specifically hate the game, as in hate playing and not disliking the direction it's been heading in for the past 2~ years. Don't try to twist my argument into something else entirely just so you can try to attempt some vague counterpoint.

But since you brought it up, it's been heading that way for 2 years if not longer. I'd hope that players who like the game but dislike the direction it's heading in have decided at what point they'll jump ship. I commend them on their patience - I can't bother to complain to Jagex more than 2 months, let alone for an entire 2 years.

I personally despised it and quit shortly after SoF release. I didn't wait 2 years to walk away - I waited 2 weeks.

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

I don't mean anything personal by it, it's just an argument that comes up a lot around here.

Not everyone instaquits though. For most of us, it's more of a slow drift away from (or weaning oneself off of) the game: maybe some updates don't sit right with us, but there are still enough that do to keep us in. Something like this update would be, for someone like that, a wake-up call. Maybe it shows just how far gone they are, maybe it touches a pet peeve, things like that. Given how blatant it is, the issue might even have less to do with the update and more to do with the attitude surrounding it.

...Speaking as someone who loathes what they're doing with the lore and the endgame, but sticks around for a small section of the community and the base game being no worse than it was in the beginning.

• Like 3