Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

I might be the odd-one-out, but I'm thrilled to see that Ashdale isn't left behind.

Ashdale was the first connection of the Adventurer to a home, a place you grew up, with a mentor who has taught you all your life. I felt instantly connected to that goofy little dwarf and the peaceful scenery of Ashdale. It gave me a sense of belonging of the world I was surreptitiously dropped into with no explanation, allegiance, or care previously.

The new quest looks great and I'm looking forward to it, even though it's going to be a low-level.

The rain effects look pretty cool I think, though the precipitation falls pretty slowly. As for the new monster, well, they showed what it looked like...that irritated me.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

I like the concept of Ashdale but it feels extremely problematic to me given then new timeline of runescape.

Officially speaking Ashdale occurs almost immediately after Guthix's death and the start of the 6th age, but this makes no sense - it story is told as if we are a normal joe who some dwarf thinks might have the metal to be an adventurer and he's coercing us to do so in this moment of crisis. This literally makes no sense given that flashback quests clearly tell us we have done a huge amount of stuff prior to Ashdale.

It wouldn't even be entirely hard to fix up - just a few dialogue tweaks to seed the idea we WERE a great adventurer but we retired to Ashdale and shunned that life and were avoiding the world at large. And this dwarf is the one guy who knows exactly who we are (at least within the borders of Ashdale) and the tutorial suddenly shifts from a nonsensical average joe becoming an adventurer, but you've actually done a truckload already to a retired adventurer being coerced back into the fray, who in due course re-learns skills they once had and in doing so reconnects with memories of their past acts (aka plays flashback quests)

New quest looks pretty decent, some of the enemies look rather derpy/repetitive though. I mean we already have 2 tentacles sticking out of stuff monsters, one of which event happens on a boat. Not to mention the Thalassus water/boat fight malarkey being similar as well. Feels like if they wanted to do something special they could've looked for something a bit more original - I mean we are lacking in bird enemies that actually do bird-like things (eg fly up high) aside from sunfreet's one move and we also lack any attempts at bosses you climb on eg a moving environment made up body part npcs and obstacles.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Where is this official source that Ashdale didn't exist until the 6th age and that we, the Adventurer, didn't come onto the scene into the 6th age? That makes no sense, nor have it described as such anywhere.

Sure they didn't make it until after the 6th age started but, like everything else, it could have easily existed in the past.

hzvjpwS.gif

I would prefer a return to Tutorial Island personally. I don't give a crap about Ashdale.

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

Source on Ashdale placement is all non-flashback framed events are automatically assumed to be 6th age. Therefore, it has to be 6th age, not 5th and logical placement is the very start. It could be debated and argued as a 5th age, but just using the framework Jagex set up of flashback = 5th age non-flashback = 6th age places it in the 6th.

As for we the adventurer not starting in 6th age official source is all the flashbacks - they are flashbacks of things we did in the 5th age and the events of them are taken as such. It is why Azzandra, Char etc. etc. etc. all know who we are by default in the 6th age - they met us as seen in the flashback quests.

By all means it is not put into words anywhere, but just using what is there and how jagex have done things both means that we the adventurer existed in the 5th age and did a lot of stuff and that given the lack of flashback framing Ashdale is 6th age content.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Where is this official source that Ashdale didn't exist until the 6th age and that we, the Adventurer, didn't come onto the scene into the 6th age? That makes no sense, nor have it described as such anywhere.

Sure they didn't make it until after the 6th age started but, like everything else, it could have easily existed in the past.

I'd assume it's just a safe assumption for a new player to make: The tutorial introduces them as a new adventurer, and then the game officially starts in the sixth age.

Maybe they should frame Ashdale as a (playable) flashback during the tutorial, or just flash forward after? Say, open with some narration about the Sixth Age and the Adventurer's role in it, or give that same infodump at the end.

I was told to post this on the forum since i cant use swiftkit. No clue exactly where im supposed to post this but here it is.

[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Starting up...
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Starting up...launcher version is 1.65.29
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] App data folder path is C:\ProgramData\SwiftKit
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Checking folder structure
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Attempt to set browser emulation
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Check if drive is NTFS
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Starting cleanup
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Variables set
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Delete all temp files
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Delete all temp folders
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] exiting cleanup temp data
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Finished cleaning up temp data
[4/18/2014 12:49:43 PM] Initialize finished
[4/18/2014 12:49:44 PM] Launch button was pressed
[4/18/2014 12:49:44 PM] Get a setting from somewhere
[4/18/2014 12:49:44 PM] Connecting
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Update server responded, download update file
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Got our update file, now decode it
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Update file decoded, now read it...
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Check versions
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Checking file - SwiftKit(Install)[Caution: Executable File]
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Checking file - SwiftKit[Caution: Executable File]
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Checking file - ExePatcher[Caution: Executable File]
[4/18/2014 12:49:45 PM] Downloading integrity check file...
[4/18/2014 12:49:46 PM] Downloaded, now let's decode it...
[4/18/2014 12:49:46 PM] Done decoding now read the file...
[4/18/2014 12:49:46 PM] Ok done, keep going
[4/18/2014 12:49:56 PM] CRITICAL ERROR YO
[4/18/2014 12:49:56 PM] 53 - File not found: ZLIB.DLL

^I'd try making a thread in the swiftkit subforum or at least y'know making a thread at all since spamming your log into a random existing thread constitutes little more than spam.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Doesn't assuming the adventurer starts in the sixth age sort of introduce a lot of fundamental continuity errors, such as bearing witness to Guthix's death right before the start of the sixth age?

8f14270694.jpg

Hence my point about it being extremely problematic that the way Ashdale is introduced outside of a flashback context implies it is 6th age.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Makes sense, still doesn't really fix its problematic-ness though in my book.

From the perspective of a new player:

You land in Ashdale and are playing this tutorial - this must be the present and what is happening now.

Moving beyond the tutorial there's no sense of time passing or a leap forward but all of a sudden you are having flashbacks to things that happened in the past.

There's sort of an inbuilt conflict there where what you assume to be 'present' playing in a linear line from starting the game suddenly somehow has a flashback past that kinda contradicts how the 'present' started because there is nothing to indicate that ~1 year lapses between the tutorial and where you actually begin.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

According to Mod Kelpie on Twitter, the Divination update has been pushed back to May. Guessing next week will be skill capes of mastery and ninja fixes.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

According to Mod Kelpie on Twitter, the Divination update has been pushed back to May. Guessing next week will be skill capes of mastery and ninja fixes.

Just to add a bit on, Divination update planned as the main update during the first week in May.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Just to add a bit on, Divination update planned as the main update during the first week in May.

Honestly I don't think I like much of the elder energy stuff. I hope there is more to it than xp rates and conversion to other energies.

I wonder what the line up is for may.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

8k4HM.png

:rolleyes:

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

I'll get the QFC when I can actually load RSOF, it should be one of Balance's more recent posts though.

On the topic of multilogging.

That would hurt their income a ton, there's a lot of players that multilog both, so I doubt that. There's too many possible scenarios for multilogging...

Example 1:

I'm hosting a TMHT event, my friends list is full, so I have to add people on my alt to allow them to use coinshare.

That's multilogging, yes, but in a way that's required to actually host an event, as I know pretty much everyone on my friend's list, and I don't want to have to unadd people who might want to talk to me.

Example 2:

Divination's boring as hell, I don't really like 07scape, and I'd rather be training a second RS3 account, so I do.

I'm going to assume no account interaction for this example, what's the issue with it? I have 2 accounts, each one is trained independantly, on seperate worlds. Maybe I'll share a few friends added on both accounts, but that's a convenience to allow people to contact me if I'm only logged into one of them.

Example 3:

Something I've heard is occurring, people making use of ~15 alt accounts, all with membership to basically bypass GE limits, and to allow mass amounts of income every day from merchanting.

In this case the accounts are interacting, so it would actually be in breach of rules, however the person is paying for membership on all of these accounts.

Example 4:

A lurer making use of an alternate account to avoid getting his/her main banned, possibly giving it a partyhat or something to entice people into going along with it.

Clearly wrong, and the interaction obviously shouldn't be happening, account interaction probably takes place too.

Example 5:

Refer a friendalternate account you just gave 2 bonds to for a week of 10% extra xp.

Loads of people have abused this, because it's worth doing for buyables when going for 99. It's also a source of income for Jagex, as they get £7 off the bonds used.

Example 6:

Best word for it? Mass-bot goldfarming. ~30 accounts logged in at the same IP all doing <insert bottable task here>

Against the rules, major scale botting, and making use of the ability to multilog to increase the effectiveness of using said bot.

All of these are Mutlilogging- some more serious than others. It's just silly that they try and combine it all into one rule when there is times when it's actually required for practicality. There are obviously some instances where it's clearly against the rules, mainly when combined with other ones. But personally I see no issue with making having multiple accounts online, if they're all yours why should it be an issue that the wealth is shared among them?

This probably needs a separate thread...

yqe0mrU.jpg

[hide=Lewtations]

Personally I think they need to either ban trust trades used to convert 07 to rs3 items and vice versa, or make multilogging both games against the rules. I'd prefer

they do the latter but one of them needs to be made against the rules.

Also, here's the post that Balance was responding to: http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=1HyeNCpSQjc/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?278,279,789,65349709

In summary, a player wanted clarification because another post hadn't been responded to by a J mod. The other post mentioned that a live streamer talked about how he was alching on one account while slaying on another. The post wanted to know if multi-logging was ok as long as the accounts didn't interact and if not then why was Jagex allowing streamers to get away with it.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I'll get the QFC when I can actually load RSOF, it should be one of Balance's more recent posts though.

On the topic of multilogging.

That would hurt their income a ton, there's a lot of players that multilog both, so I doubt that. There's too many possible scenarios for multilogging...

Example 1:

I'm hosting a TMHT event, my friends list is full, so I have to add people on my alt to allow them to use coinshare.

That's multilogging, yes, but in a way that's required to actually host an event, as I know pretty much everyone on my friend's list, and I don't want to have to unadd people who might want to talk to me.

Example 2:

Divination's boring as hell, I don't really like 07scape, and I'd rather be training a second RS3 account, so I do.

I'm going to assume no account interaction for this example, what's the issue with it? I have 2 accounts, each one is trained independantly, on seperate worlds. Maybe I'll share a few friends added on both accounts, but that's a convenience to allow people to contact me if I'm only logged into one of them.

Example 3:

Something I've heard is occurring, people making use of ~15 alt accounts, all with membership to basically bypass GE limits, and to allow mass amounts of income every day from merchanting.

In this case the accounts are interacting, so it would actually be in breach of rules, however the person is paying for membership on all of these accounts.

Example 4:

A lurer making use of an alternate account to avoid getting his/her main banned, possibly giving it a partyhat or something to entice people into going along with it.

Clearly wrong, and the interaction obviously shouldn't be happening, account interaction probably takes place too.

Example 5:

Refer a friendalternate account you just gave 2 bonds to for a week of 10% extra xp.

Loads of people have abused this, because it's worth doing for buyables when going for 99. It's also a source of income for Jagex, as they get £7 off the bonds used.

Example 6:

Best word for it? Mass-bot goldfarming. ~30 accounts logged in at the same IP all doing <insert bottable task here>

Against the rules, major scale botting, and making use of the ability to multilog to increase the effectiveness of using said bot.

All of these are Mutlilogging- some more serious than others. It's just silly that they try and combine it all into one rule when there is times when it's actually required for practicality. There are obviously some instances where it's clearly against the rules, mainly when combined with other ones. But personally I see no issue with making having multiple accounts online, if they're all yours why should it be an issue that the wealth is shared among them?

This probably needs a separate thread...

It did always strike me as daft to have it all under 1 rule, I mean even a family playing at the same time as far as Jagex can see is multilogging.

To me, looking at those examples.

1 ought to be fine and allowable, unless they fix coinshare/friend chats to kind of use an independent membership list functionality.

2 doesn't really do any harm, but personally I don't think it ought to be allowed - just to me if you are playing the game you should be there playing it, not on another account.

3 definitely ought to be against the rules under market manipulation

4 definitely ought to be against the rules under self-interaction + luring ought to be a rule break in of itself.

5 I think kinda technically ought to fall under the same as 4 and is arguably ethically wrong, but I don't think its a rule break anyone is really going to care about.

6 of course definitely rule break and a law break in many ways, but macroing and rwt more than multi-logging.

Really in essence many of the issues of multi logging could be covered by other rules (rwt, macro) and the few others would be better covered by more targetted rules (no interaction (direct or indirect) between your own accounts, no market manipulation etc.)

Plv6Dz6.jpg