Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Welcome to the world. We are all innately greedy. If you have high self control you learned how to control yourself with situations similar to this. You were taught what was more important to persue: need is greater than desire.

Not all of us are this callous though. Yes, everyone is geared to pursue to their self-interest, but some of us do keep some regard for others. I could make a lot of money by peddling crack to crack addicts, but for some reason or another, I don't.

yeah that's the things though... some regard. Jagex has that unlike crack dealers who plainly want their money. Jagex isn't putting a gun to your head ready to pull the trigger without concern. They so have concern and interest in healthy playing habits. They just aren't holding your hand guiding you. The world lacks common sense and personal accountability. This would be another example of that if a person choose a game over a carrier.

Actually the fact that they are doing this is indicative of their complete lack of regard for the personal health and habits of their playerbase. They are openly and shamelessly taking advantage of people who don't know any better, and are proudly acknowledging it. I can't think of any way to spin this incident in any positive light. Perhaps on their next BTS they can proudly boast that since stealing candy from babies is very easy, that they will now actually start doing that.

Their statistics state that the average player plays a little over an hour each day.

A few people seem to have fallen into an XP Craze and have become more and more addicted to the game as time has gone on. People have stopped playing the game for fun - or if it isn't efficient "it isn't fun". Minigames dead left and right - content dead on arrival if it isn't efficient.

Stop and smell the roses. If you find you don't actually enjoy the roses, leave the garden (the game) and go play something you actually enjoy. Each and every day I see too many players who actively state they HATE playing this game, but continue to play.... I just don't get it.

I am not too convinced by their statistics, since they never ever reveal their methodology (what numbers are they using, which players are they counting, etc?). In any case, this is sort of irrelevant to the fact that Jagex are encouraging unhealthy gaming habits and styles. The hardcore playerbase is a minority, I don't doubt that.

I also disagree that it's merely a 'few people' that have fallen prey to the exp craze culture. It has now become a prevailing part of the game and its culture. Simply witness the exponential increase in the number of people who go for 200Ms/120s as opposed to even just a few years ago. I'd say they are still a minority, but this culture has completely taken over the high level community (which was not always the case). Hell, it was only recently that 120 capes were voted for, in a landslide.

As for your last comment, I'd refer you to ALG's comments: hating the management of the game is not the same thing as hating the game. Furthermore, the only option to an unacceptable state of affairs is not 'just to quit' (telling people to 'like it or leave it' is horribly lichened). There are other options, such as criticism of said affairs, which is precisely what I am doing here. 

Again, I commend you for being able to critize for 2 years falling on deaf ears and not giving up. I'm nowhere near that patient and accept the reality for what it is (which is why I'm playing RS again instead of remaining a retired player of the past)

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

only benefits I enjoy out of this is bonus slayer points and dungeoneering xp/tokens, especially since I'll probably hit 99 that weekend. (well... close to 99. I still want my Farming cape first)

Pures can't dg

You need moar defence then. :twss:

I'm just poking fun at you for something like two years ago, and I've been 99 dg for a while :P

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Also I believe accounts should be able to log into both 07 and EOC from the same account. The guys who multilog ATM arent going to unsub because they dont want to restart new accounts and the guys who didnt cheat before will be able to keep on par with those who do

This discussion should be split from this topic.

I don't get the whole "I will unsub if..." that statement holds the same tune as the players who say "I will quit if..." if you are going to do it then fine. Enjoy the consequences. Either you quit and find other persuits in life or you unsub and... what will you do? Enjoy the little dribbling bits of xp and exploration of f2p? I highly doubt you would unsub. Regardless if you are mainly an rs3 or osrs player they have you by the balls. If you unsub you lock yourself out of osrs.

When did I say "I will unsub if..."? I said that the players with multiple accounts *wont* unsub because they don't want to max melee again on their RS3 main. It would be a good business model to allow membership across both simultaneously give access to both

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

This is in addition to, not in place of, actual content right? Plus part of this discussion would probably be more relevant in the motivation to play topic.

Correct, there are other updates in May

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/23yu8q/bts_102_the_runescape_road_trip/ch1xaz1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Also I believe accounts should be able to log into both 07 and EOC from the same account. The guys who multilog ATM arent going to unsub because they dont want to restart new accounts and the guys who didnt cheat before will be able to keep on par with those who do

This discussion should be split from this topic.

I don't get the whole "I will unsub if..." that statement holds the same tune as the players who say "I will quit if..." if you are going to do it then fine. Enjoy the consequences. Either you quit and find other persuits in life or you unsub and... what will you do? Enjoy the little dribbling bits of xp and exploration of f2p? I highly doubt you would unsub. Regardless if you are mainly an rs3 or osrs player they have you by the balls. If you unsub you lock yourself out of osrs.

When did I say "I will unsub if..."? I said that the players with multiple accounts *wont* unsub because they don't want to max melee again on their RS3 main. It would be a good business model to allow membership across both simultaneously give access to both

I wasn't intending on saying that to you. I was speaking particularly to the player base that says that.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

My main thought on those concepts:

Dat doesnt' look very crystal to me!

I mean I know an outright crystal city would be hideous and perhaps it might have a sheen to it so its like a bit more crystal-ish, but I dunno it looks rather stoney and 'normal' for the crystal city.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You know that's a neat video series. Enough to entice young people with the joyous parts of the role, give them a bit of information, what to expect. I'm glad Runescape made it on there. 

hzvjpwS.gif

I want to know why people wanted a blink pet. I mean we had the ability to get a soulgazer and kal'ger demon.

Also i need to start dunging so im not one of those scrubs dunging for the rewards post-update.

They mentioned at the end of the bts that ancient combat and familiars are out next week. Does that mean pretty much another zaros theme packed week with ancient abilities and elder divination?

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The way I heard it is the BTS will be out next week, not the update itself.

^ This the end bit was about what to tune in to the bts next week to hear about (like they do every week)

It indicates next fridays video content and subsequently the update due out the week after next.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Right, listening through the elf podcast. Here's stuff so far:

• Quest release aimed for August, Elf City (Batch 1) released in September
  • Batch 1 will include the Tower of Voices, which will be the site we teleport into the city and the GE hub node
  • 4 families will be available with Batch 1; Iorweth family (from the elf camp+regicide etc) will be the Slayer+Melee family. They will also release the Mining+Smithing, Woodcutting+faming and Ranged+magic families. Each family has names that I can't even pronounce.
  • Batch 2 aimed for start of November, families include the Agility+Prayer, Divination+Summoning, Dungeoneering+Herblore and Crafting+Construction.
  • Highest slayer master will be in the city, he's being designed to not give tasks which are most cancelled by players. Will give the Preferred Slayer Task.
  • No new slayer monsters, he won't be taking the Slayer cave or the cape from Kuradel.
  • Not every skill being included in the city.
  • Crystal Flasks will be included, ~20 new potion recipes which will need to be unlocked, bought or discovered :D
  • One of the families will not be a purely Elf family. I wonder which one...
  • Talk about the dungoneering aspect of the city.
    High levelled to access, it'll be a "mine" with a daily.
  • Maxed/Comp area will be exclusive within the city.

• Design Documents will be given to the players, once a week (Not sure when this is starting, maybe with the rebirth of the city)
  • They'll be organic documents, unique and changing to the player.
  • I'm having a hard time understanding what these actually mean, think they're tied in with the development of the city
  • They will not have lore.

• Quest is gonna be Grandmaster, requiring ALL the previous elf quests (including catapult construction :( ). Quest is only requirement to get into the city
  • Requirements will all be level 75, maybe some higher. Inc ranged, construction, woodcutting. 10 Skills not including Divination or Dungeoneering.
  • Quest is gonna be "weighty and long" which is described as a campaign-like quest with lots of lore and exploration.

• The Ninja team are graphically reworking the areas from the elf quests; ie. Underground pass, Temple of Light with better textures and lighting
  • Not much rework of the previous quests

• Lot of 'singing' music to be included
  • Prompts to point you towards things happening within the city
  • Lots of activities for "maxed" players :D
  • More Memorium crystals (from FOTG)  to give lore into Seren, like what she did during the God Wars
  • Will be Elf Clan capes, which apparently look awesome. Will be mainly to show your affiliation towards a certain family of skills

• Graphically, Elf city is situated within a crater (Ties in with Seren exploding into her crystal parts lore)
  • City is built up from the crater, and it'll be tiered so that you can see everything below while on walkways above.
  • City will not be the end of the Elf Content.
  • Quest may be the last to this current series of Elf quests. More possible stories will arise.

That's the gist of it, don't think I missed much out

• Like 5

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Design docs they said are probably gonna be released 1 a week starting the 12th of May - the idea being we the players get to look at them and give feedback to inform the dev.

There are 5 docs - 1 for the tower of voices and the other 4 cover the families portions of the city.

Afterwards they'll release a 6th amalgamated doc highlighting changes made in response to feedback.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

i assume the elf slayer master has a few choice words for the elf slaying task

Considering he's an Iowerth, he might be generally in favour of it if ya kill the other families.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

The topic can be found on the future updates forum and pictures need to be posted too. I'm at college and the copy/paste is broken or something...

The Dukes Team Blog

Hello

As an experiment I would like to give you an insight into what’s currently going on within one of our development teams. By doing so I hope that your feedback would help mould our updates, so they are released to you at a higher quality.

The Team – All hail the Dukes!

Within RuneScape we are split into smaller teams of developers, graphics artists, designers and QA testers (and me). You are probably already aware of one such group, the Ninja Team. Well this developer blog is about the Dukes! Our goal is to continue the fun by providing quality updates.

Current Projects – Pests, Chompas & Penance

First off we are winding down on development of a new Quest called ‘The Mighty Fall’. The focus now is on testing and bug fixing. I won’t say any more about this though, more will be revealed in the June BTS video. So keep an eye out for that.

Skillchompas

As we finish off the Quest, we have begun work on some smaller projects. The first of these is Skillchompas! As you may guess from the title, this is a skilling update. The majority of the development work is due to be finished next week.

You will be able to hunt four tiers of new Chinchompas, Mithril, Adamite, Runite and Dragon. You can then equip and use these in Divination, Fishing, Mining and Woodcutting for improved XP rates. Of course, just like those used in combat, each Chinchompa has a single use. They will be tradable, so this does add a new moneymaking method for hunters.

Here is a paint over of each the habitat areas for these new Chinchompas. See if you can work out where each will be.

Pest Control Improvements

Again, this is another small project we are working on. The main goals are to improve the Pest Control rewards, small tweaks/fixes and to graphically update the island. A few weeks ago, Mod Tim asked for your suggestions and most of what we are currently doing is driven from your feedback.

We are not updating the npcs as part of this project due to the length of time it will take. The reason the island is being updated was that is was reworked a while ago when some environment artists had spare time. We haven’t had the chance to do the dev and QA the work involved until now.

Here is a little comparison of the new and old island.

Barbarian Assault

At last year’s RuneFest we held a Dragon’s Den like competition where the winner pitched an update to revitalise Barbarian Assault by updating the existing game, adding a new hard mode and a Penance King boss. We have since brought in that player to our office to brainstorm ideas further. It isn’t all just one person’s ideas though, there was also a lot of feedback and suggestions posted on the forums that we have used too.

We are currently at a stage where the design is close to being finalised, so there isn’t too much to say at this time. A fair amount of work has already gone into updating the NPCs however. We knew from the beginning we wanted to do a graphical rework and updating the current Penance monsters doesn’t rely on a finalised design. Here is the concept for the reworked Penance.

Until Next Time…

Next week we should be finishing up most of the development work for Skillchompas and Pest Control. At this point most of the team will be focusing on Barbarian Assault. Next time I hope to provide you with more details about the ‘weapon of power’ that was voted for in a PTTP poll earlier in the year.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above projects and how I could improve this blog. I don’t know when the next blog post shall be as I want to wait until we have something interesting to say.

Thank you

Mod Kelpie and The Dukes

Elf City Design Documents - Coming Next Week

As part of Power to the Players, you voted for the release of the Elf City. Since then, you’ve been helping us shape this monumental update through other polls, and using your choices we’ve put together a number of design documents.

The documents contain unseen concept art, and an in-depth view of what we think Prifddinas should be. They’ve been produced by Mod Osborne, with help from the rest of the team.

For the first time ever, we’d like to share these documents with you. In order to make this truly player-driven content, we want to get your feedback on the design before it goes into full development. Due to the high volume of information, we’re splitting the design into five separate documents and will be releasing one document each week in order to gather your feedback.

Once you’ve submitted your feedback on the forums, we’ll review each post and consider each point raised to ensure that Prifddinas is as close to what you want as possible. The team will make revisions to the documents based on your feedback, and we’ll summarise the changes in upcoming videos.

The five parts of the design document are as follows:

•Part 1: The Tower of Voices

•Part 2: Iorwerth and Cadarn

•Part 3: Trahaearn and Crwys

•Part 4: Ithell and Amlodd

•Part 5: Hefin and Meilyr

You can expect to see one document each week – which will be in downloadable PDF form. It’s worth mentioning that these documents are almost identical to the original design documents produced by the team working on the update.

Our first design document will be released on Wednesday 14th May 2014, and we’ll publish another document the each week until Wednesday 11th June 2014.

We’re incredibly excited to see your thoughts, and to incorporate them into the Elf City.

The RuneScape Team

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png