27 Oct 2014 - Broken Home & Guthixian Caches

Tim

Multiple what?

You can open all 9 lamp chests and beat all 3 challenges in 1 replay if that is what you mean.

Just make sure you don't die, eat only 1 food and get through within the 37 mins.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Not amused by the fact that I needed to put the graphics on minimum - fixed in order to not die because by the time I could run I was already dead...

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Love it... I was almost through with the quest replay and the monster glitched on spawn. I went to use the scroll on him and my character runs to the monster like he WANTED to get eaten.... Dumb.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I really enjoyed this quest, but having had some time to mull over events now I kinda feel slightly dissatisfied with the story.

The issue for me is though there's a good twist and a nice ending it doesn't really resolve any of the initial plot points in any real way.

Most notably for me is it doesn't really fill in any of the story of the Dad and Son and his family which is where the haunting is supposed to originate from.

We don't learn what actually happened to the son to make the dad so guilty and then turn insane.

We don't learn why the spell didn't work on him yet works on the demon.

We don't learn what actually happened to his family/household e.g. whether or not he actually killed them all.

We don't learn what happened to the mother in the slightest or why her hair brush is so crucial to the boy.

Then there's loose ends in the development with the monster and the haunting etc.

The haunting supposedly started and trapped them all in there forcing the guy to explore and thus disturbing the demon, so how then did that one maid get out?

Who was actually responsible for most of the killing the father or the monster?

If the house was so dangerous and they couldn't get out why was everyone so split up? Why not stick together?

Why at the end do we tell Maria there we no survivors when we don't actually know that for sure - the frozen maid slumped to the floor after we took the key but it never said she died for certain, equally the faceless one did seem rather alive even if in need of some urgent attention. What about the 2 rooms on the ground floor we can't go in at all, couldn't there be some people shut up in there? What about that one locked room in the basement where we can just see through the hole in the wall? Someone could be in there too for all we know.

Why did the boy ghost seem to be leading us around the house at various points, but then when he catch up to him is totally oblivious to us until we give him the hair brush?

And by far the most pressing question of all why from the outside is the front door on the north side of the building, yet inside it is at the south side of the building?

Of course some of these are fairly petty and don't really hinder things overall, but the top block for me is a bit of a sticking point because they are all tied into the plot we are sold as being important to the haunting but are all swept aside and never resolved for the sake of a plot twist that can immediately fix the haunting.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I just have to wonder....

Why hide a shrine that you probably visit every day behind 6 locked doors and a false wall, each one requiring 2 keys to unlock...

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

There was a book that didn't make it into the quest because it was too long so it didn't have the translation budget. Would have been found in the two sarcohagi in the basement.

[spoiler=Ormod's Last Will and Testament]

ORMOD'S LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

My work here is done.

The servants have been discharged. No more shall this life trouble them.

I have taken poison, and now I retire to my tomb to rest beside my wife.

The voices call me murderer, but I know that history will remember me as an entrepreneur and visionary.

My father was a merely a crude tribesman, but it was through imagination and hard work that I made my fortune through the forging of civilisation itself.

Many were the warlords who wished to control Misthalin, and runestones were the key. I established the supply and trade of these precious rocks, and grew wealthy from it.

My work was important, and it kept me busy. I loved my wife, but I had not the time for our son or his foolish distractions. When the pox took her, Saradomin did not care to double the hours in my day. My work was what kept this great house over our heads, but a stupid boy of two winters cannot understand such things.

I took on a nursemaid to care for him, and simply required that she keep him constrained to the nursery tower. His needs were satisfied. He had food and books.

When the nursemaid committed a grave error by damaging one of my relics, I disciplined her as any good master ought to discipline a servant. Perhaps I did lose control of myself, but history will agree that the blame for her death lies with her. Had she been less clumsy, it need not have happened.

It was many weeks before I remembered the boy in the tower. By that time he was quite dead. That fatuous nursemaid had failed to provide him with an adequate source of water. Another death to lay at her feet. May Saradomin have mercy on her black soul!

It was some time after this that I found myself becoming inexplicably prone to unsettled moods. I sought a solution from the Orders of the Wizard's Tower with whom I did business. I made it clear to them that some sort of curse or other magical malady was to blame, and they laboured to create a spell to remove it.

They failed. Their excuse was that they did not have an explicit understanding of what had befallen me, but I named them as the faithless traitors that they were and sent them away.

I sought insight instead from tribal seers and soothsayers. One toothless, sightless elder told me that the my freedom lay buried deep beneath this very house, although he could not tell me what it was or how it would help.

With no other recourse I dug deeper and deeper beneath the house. I had seen fragments of ruined stonework to the south, and it was possible that something lay buried down there. I was proved correct when my crew opened a deep cave, and in that cave a great door, magically sealed.

The door resisted every effort to open it. No man or tool or spell at my disposal worked. I attempted to contact the Wizard's Tower but they compounded their earlier mistake by refusing to even speak with me. Whatever lay beyond that door would remain there. I sealed the basement away and put it from my mind. Clearly the soothsayer had been wrong.

I thought on the matter for some time and eventually realised the answer to my predicament. My malaise was an inevitable result of my knowledge and experience of life itself. In retrospect it seems obvious to me that a life which would take away a hard working man’s wife and child is not a life worth living.

This realisation made, I knew what had to be done. Before I could rest, I would pass on the wisdom of my discovery to the servants so that they need not suffer as I had suffered. To make their final hours more entertaining I sealed the mansion with magic and hunted them one by one.

To my sister Briaca I leave the mansion and all of its contents. May it shelter you better than it has me.

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=zXar0VDxzFo/sl=0/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?341,342,168,65506462

• Like 1

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

You can put it on the action bar too.  I would find that easier in any case, but maybe in P2P having that extra slot for another ability is more crucial.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I really enjoyed this quest, but having had some time to mull over events now I kinda feel slightly dissatisfied with the story.

The issue for me is though there's a good twist and a nice ending it doesn't really resolve any of the initial plot points in any real way.

Most notably for me is it doesn't really fill in any of the story of the Dad and Son and his family which is where the haunting is supposed to originate from.

We don't learn what actually happened to the son to make the dad so guilty and then turn insane.

We don't learn what actually happened to his family/household e.g. whether or not he actually killed them all.

We don't learn what happened to the mother in the slightest or why her hair brush is so crucial to the boy.

Then there's loose ends in the development with the monster and the haunting etc.

The haunting supposedly started and trapped them all in there forcing the guy to explore and thus disturbing the demon, so how then did that one maid get out?

If the house was so dangerous and they couldn't get out why was everyone so split up? Why not stick together?

Why at the end do we tell Maria there we no survivors when we don't actually know that for sure - the frozen maid slumped to the floor after we took the key but it never said she died for certain, equally the faceless one did seem rather alive even if in need of some urgent attention. What about the 2 rooms on the ground floor we can't go in at all, couldn't there be some people shut up in there? What about that one locked room in the basement where we can just see through the hole in the wall? Someone could be in there too for all we know.

Why did the boy ghost seem to be leading us around the house at various points, but then when he catch up to him is totally oblivious to us until we give him the hair brush?

And by far the most pressing question of all why from the outside is the front door on the north side of the building, yet inside it is at the south side of the building?

Of course some of these are fairly petty and don't really hinder things overall, but the top block for me is a bit of a sticking point because they are all tied into the plot we are sold as being important to the haunting but are all swept aside and never resolved for the sake of a plot twist that can immediately fix the haunting.

Mod Jack posted the Last Will and Testament of Ormod, which didn't make it into the game due to insufficient budget for translation (rip ...). Answers the first five of your questions.

He also made a few extra posts to mention that the "surviving" faceless servant is supposed to get eaten by the monster while you're in the basement. I believe the screaming servant dies anyway because her examine text changes to "At least she's at peace now" or something to that effect. You'd expect pretty much everyone to be dead anyway, because they're not genre savvy like you.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Mod Jack posted the Last Will and Testament of Ormod, which didn't make it into the game due to insufficient budget for translation (rip ...). Answers the first five of your questions.

He also made a few extra posts to mention that the "surviving" faceless servant is supposed to get eaten by the monster while you're in the basement. I believe the screaming servant dies anyway because her examine text changes to "At least she's at peace now" or something to that effect. You'd expect pretty much everyone to be dead anyway, because they're not genre savvy like you.

I gotta say, for someone genre savvy we did pretty much everything wrong, I'd assume more "plot armour" than genre savvy saved us. Also, posted the full text of the last will and testament and linked to it on the previous page is anyone missed it

• Like 1

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I have to say of all the things to cut due to budget that book was kinda the worst since it y'know actually explains like 50% of the plot and also makes me wish I'd of opted for the bad ending.

• Like 5

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Yea, its awful that they cut the book for budget, except that I think it was one of the best things to cut if something needed to be. Horror doesn't always need to be fully explained to work well and I thought the quest worked really well on its own even with lingering questions. I think its only because of its place in a larger game that those questions even really need to be answered. Plus, the nice thing about cutting a book instead of some of the animations or sequences in the house is that Jack can go and post it to the forums after for everyone to read, so not much is lost except the book is on forums instead of in game.

• Like 1

I have to say of all the things to cut due to budget that book was kinda the worst since it y'know actually explains like 50% of the plot and also makes me wish I'd of opted for the bad ending.

I have to say that I don't agree on your statement of that the lore book was kinda the worst thing to cut. I am a lorehound myself and trust me when I say that I really, really would have loved to seen that lore book in game. Especially as I myself was more or less stuck at the part of the quest where you have just discovered the most southern, long corridor in the basement. I easily found my way to the room with the coffins. There though, as there was nothing to discover, I more or less gave up on exploring the whole basement and instead started searching through the whole mansion again. This as I was so sure at if there was something new to discover in the basement it would have to be in the empty coffin room and not the corridor leading to it.

As for why I do think Jagex did the right choice on cutting the book though: Pure text can easily be spread in other mediums. Game graphics, atmosphere and pretty much all other quest-attributes can only be experienced in-game. Certainly there's an irritation caused by plot-holes. But Jagex knows that those of us players that are really interested in the lore and storyline of the game usually search for information not only in the game itself. Therefore; In a choice of cutting something out, Jagex, or rather Mod Ollie, cut out the lorebook. Which he knew he could make public by putting it up on the forums. In a thread which takes like what, 3 clicks to reach from the main page? 

I understand where you are coming from and I certainly agree that the book should be in game. But I believe Jagex did the right choice when they chose to cut the lorebook out.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I have to say that I don't agree on your statement of that the lore book was kinda the worst thing to cut. I am a lorehound myself and trust me when I say that I really, really would have loved to seen that lore book in game. Especially as I myself was more or less stuck at the part of the quest where you have just discovered the most southern, long corridor in the basement. I easily found my way to the room with the coffins. There though, as there was nothing to discover, I more or less gave up on exploring the whole basement and instead started searching through the whole mansion again. This as I was so sure at if there was something new to discover in the basement it would have to be in the empty coffin room and not the corridor leading to it.

As for why I do think Jagex did the right choice on cutting the book though: Pure text can easily be spread in other mediums. Game graphics, atmosphere and pretty much all other quest-attributes can only be experienced in-game. Certainly there's an irritation caused by plot-holes. But Jagex knows that those of us players that are really interested in the lore and storyline of the game usually search for information not only in the game itself. Therefore; In a choice of cutting something out, Jagex, or rather Mod Ollie, cut out the lorebook. Which he knew he could make public by putting it up on the forums. In a thread which takes like what, 3 clicks to reach from the main page? 

I understand where you are coming from and I certainly agree that the book should be in game. But I believe Jagex did the right choice when they chose to cut the lorebook out.

Although it isn't far away many people will never know where the lore is, because you don't expect it to be there but in the game. Also the thread isn't a sticky which means that when you play it later, even maybe in a week or two the thread won't be findable.

Also I agree with Sy, the book answers most of the questions and I would have had a harder time deciding which ending I should have chosen (not that it matters much).

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I don't know what thread this belongs on, but since it was updated this week, I'll say it here.  You can now unlock the wealth Evaluator permanently for 3 bonds (or 533/480 runecoins).

Hmm..wealth evaluator...45 days of membership...Gee, I can't decide <.<.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

A few days ago I did the quest. Can't really say I was scared doing it, much more the opposite. I think I was too prepared on a very scary quest that it didn't affect me in the slightest. When I got time next week I will do the extra's =D!

Also must not forget to spot another Raven first thing in the morning tomorrow >.>...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Looks like fun!!

More old-school than you know...

battlethingz.png

Proud Member of The Slayer's Guild since April 7th 2009.
Skill Total Goal Complete: 2500 - November 12th 2014.
Goal Total Experience: 338,895,206 - Goal complete November 2nd 2014.
Next Goal Experience: 1,000,000,000 -
Personal Kalphite Queen Guide
Follow My PoP Blog!

I don't know what thread this belongs on, but since it was updated this week, I'll say it here.  You can now unlock the wealth Evaluator permanently for 3 bonds (or 533/480 runecoins).

Hmm..wealth evaluator...45 days of membership...Gee, I can't decide <.<.

finally

bought

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Don't get me wrong I wasn't saying something else should've been cut instead - I more meant that in terms of budget vs content it is dumb to cut a book that explains so much of the plot for the sake of preserving a budget.

Plus the thing is with that book it isn't really a lore book as such - to me a lore book is something that adds extra flavour or information that is ultimately not integral to the story at hand.

Where as this book, though it contains some lore, was more a piece of the story. It directly resolves most of the questions of the pre-monster twist plot that the quest is introduced on.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

yea, Mod Jack had another post referring to why they had the budget issues for the quest:

To an extent you're right. However, the problem was ambition rather than miserliness.

Our team was assigned a short amount of time to make a tiny event tie-in quest about the size and scope of Swept Away. I pitched to the team that we should try instead to make a large, difficult quest with a lot of new mechanics we'd never tried before. We agreed that it would be hard, but that we all wanted to try.

What you see is the result. Because of the ambition, we didn't have time to apply the polish we'd all have liked to. To be honest though, given the hectic pace of development, I think it's come out pretty well.

While I acknowledge someone saying "Well maybe you should assign more time to it", the problem is that that cuts into something else. The Dukes are moving on to Zamorak Heist now, and more time spent on Broken Home would have meant 1) it wouldn't have been out in time for Halloween (which was the whole justification for getting to make a horror quest in the first place) and 2) that Zamorak Heist would be smaller and/or ship later.

Basically, they were supposed to just make a really small quest, and decided to push the bounds of the budget even though it meant a few things ended up cut.

Source: http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=NRwBHRBARo4/sl=0/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?15,16,631,65506909,&showuser=Mod%A0Jack

So, make a small and very delicious sandwich in a short enough of time, with enough time and care taken to ensure it is a superb sandwich, or, decide to make a huge dinner for twenty in the same amount of time, but with several things not fully cooked, and bringing back the still molten chocolate cake at the end and say "THIS IS EXTRA!!!"

Bad decision. Bad leadership decisions.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I'm not a programmer/coder, so I don't know the ins and outs. But is it really that time consuming to add a book with words to the game?

I mean, they obviously have a book template and font for every book in the game - wouldn't it simply be a case of pasting or typing the text onto the template? That would take like, what, 20 minutes at most?

Rediculous that they have a 'lore book budget'.

Sylpheed.png