2011 - Will there be a Runescape and will you be playing?

Greedom1

In the year 2000...+11. With the recent entry of the 5th (6th) maxed player and considering many have been playing this game 5 years running, what will YOU be doing in the realm of computers and online games in 5 years?

It's likely that some form of RS will be around still in 5 years, though as frequent posts on this and other forums attest, the "community" certainly has an impact on one's desire to play.

Myself, I think I find about one new friend about every 2 months on here that I truly value and would seriously miss if they stopped playing. If most of my friends stopped, I think I would also within probably 12 months.

So. My question to you is twofold:

1. Would you still play this game 5 years hence?

2. What would KEEP you playing this game? (surely something Jagex is seriously interested in) If so, what? (shops that sell phats and whips for 1 gp?)

Possible answers:

(A) Your friends / community of players

(B) Elusive treasure / achievements.

© Yet-to-be-attained skills.

(D) Competition (see above).

(E) Boss/GF/Wife/Parents still haven't caught on, so might as well keep playing.

(F) In RS you can be anything you can't in real life....(Don't forget though, in RS others are still richer, more powerful, and basically cooler than you'll ever be... so this choice is definitely worth passing over).

(G) Picking Cabbage.

(H) Need something to do while searching google for "Donkey Show" :shock:

There we go, multiple choice. feel free to fill in an "other" category.

I ask that you seriously consider this, as personally I hope to God I'm not playing this 5 years from now. At least not with such horrible graphics and gameplay in this game. I love this game and enjoy it a lot, but if this game were to be tossed out of my life like an old moth-eaten sweater to a second-hand shop in 5 years, I don't think I'd worry much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my skills at the time being (and certainly in the RS world), but seriously that's like being proud of anything that entertains you --- like reading a book or watching a movie. I loved the movie Fight Club (and admire Chuck Palahniuk), but I can't say I get into real life conversations saying how impressed others should be in the fact I've watched it (or for my level...).

Thoughts?

7/22/06 After many replies I'd like to add that I am almost 25 years old, finished college, post-grad, and have taught at college for a year, though now I am on to a life at a "real job."

Many of the replies have been alluding to aspirations for better things to seemingly take them away from these distractions of their youth (in other words... RS will end when I grow up, go to college, etc.). Now honestly I am no expert. Though, I will say, if you're assuming college, or age, or the "real world" is going to take you away from RS, you should understand that RS in not really the content of your life, but rather the character of it.

What I mean is that fine, you love RS, love your phat, full drag, tons of gp, whatever... You cannot forget the fact that your poor/rich/awesome/pathetic RS character will most likely (hopefully) die before you do. Put another way, could you imagine still being the "Shoe" in Monopoly 5 years from now after playing the same game day after day? (It's essentially the same, and all meaningless.)

Maybe it's a metaphysical question I suppose, but I've come to the steadfast position that one should find meaning in their life elsewhere other than in a game that they try to define their life by. In my opinion, skill levels, xp and high scores are one of the most insidious parts of this game, in that they destroy an individual's incentive in truly enjoying the "action" or "content" of this game. If you knew RS was about clicking and reclicking over and over would you have ever started? <-- This goes AGAIN to my previous question. You skill (and I do as well) because it makes you relatively proud compared to friends/high scores, or for that it affords a sense of accomplishment.

Now, for what has that "accomplishment" truly done? Has it entertained you? Sure. But will it have worth in 5 years? That is my question again.

Other ruminations... Everytime I see one of these: :roll: I want to roll my eyes in response. Maybe I'm just bitter I suppose :)

RSN: Greedom1 | QP 248+ | Combat 116 | Total 1920+ | Skills 95 craft, 99 farm, 88 herb, 91 mage, 85 slayer

Values? What do they mean?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, and yes. :XD:

Seriously, it will probably be around in one form or another, bar some huge change in computing.

I might check back every once in a while, but I doubt I'll be seriously playing it again.

sigbad0xt.jpg

Jack of all trades, master of thieving. 259th to 99 thieving. All stats 75+

runescape won't be around in 2011. We'll run out of oil and no longer be able to use computers. This will force us to revert to dungeons and dragons which 95% of runescape players will start playing.

You dont need oil to power a computer its called hydro electricy.... and btw what does oil have to do with computers

well to reaspond i seriously hope im not playing 5 years from now since ill have more stuff going on in my life which i have to say even now most of the other stuff i do outranks Rs when it comes to prioity since to be honest its only a game that i use to kill time.

But thats only my opinion

Just an average player with a horrible name...

34 and queen of iceland

runescapes something differant from other games its easy to access it will always have a fanbase because of how easy it is to jump into i say the only thing that could stop runescape would be another online mmo that you dont have to download.

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

I dought I'll be playing this game in 5 years...heck I dought I'll be playing in 5 months.

Runescape is just a hobby of mine, and I don't play it that much during the school year. I dought in 5 years, when I am a Soph. in college, I am still playing...

100combat7xp.gif

Don't free Durial. Put this in your sig if you believe in justice.

1. Possibly. I am returning to college after a 4+ year stint in the army so who knows.

2. Better monster challenges and more skills.

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

Fire Cape - 04/29/06 Lvl 104

RAHK's Pro PC Gear and Guide(clickable)

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

TBH, within 5 years I'd like to be engaged or whatever.

But, I reckon I'd find it hard to quit while my friends are still playing UNLESS I get banned. I'm sure a ban would be the reason me and many people want/need to seriously quit playing.

I reckon I'll have maxed combat by 2 years MAX. I :3> combat.

sig3xj6.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

^^ Support it or get confused by pixel-mess :D

Lol i love the oil debate here. If we finally move on to Nuclear power (which is far safer - don't let movies fool you - and efficient) then we'll never run out of power, and thus, RS will still be around.

Naturally you must consider where the company is headed. Already a lot of you have surely noticed the very strange updates they have been making. RS has changed a lot since the beginning, and not always for the best.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

runescape won't be around in 2011. We'll run out of oil and no longer be able to use computers. This will force us to revert to dungeons and dragons which 95% of runescape players will start playing.

Erm If we run out of oil, more people will play runescape cause we'll be stuck at home... Not zipping along at 60 mph.

And no I will not be playing runescape in 2011. Cause ill be off on a really long trip for a year.

~Shishkabobs!~

LOL, I hate that game and WILL NEVER PLAY IT! I agree to all of them.

Other: I hack into Jagex and force them to make all the player I ever make start out with 100 bil.... And everyone will bow down to me. O:) O:) O:) [/u]

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Good post

Well I bet if you ask people 5 years ago they would say no but there are a lot still playing including my self (of and on)

Right now if the game stayed the same for the next five years no one would be playing that is playing now. But the game is always chaning and jagex adds something new very often. That's why people are still playing. 5 years ago this was not the same game and in 5 years it won't be the same game.

Aqua_Dragons.png

Yes I will be playing, even if I have to buy the company to make it so...

You only get one chance to live your life....

But, endless opportunities to screw it up.

PioNMax2.png

Pio "But your honor, he deserved killin "

Judge " Fair nuff, the defendant is free to go"

Yes there will still be a runescape, no i wont be playing.

Unless they stop coming up with updates as fast as they can they will start making updates that cause mass people quitting and the game more stupid. IMO rs1 was alot better then rs2 because 1. the staking, and 2. there wasnt a new type of armor every month, if you quit for a while you could actually come back and know what is going on. I quit before barrows came out and when i came back i was so confused it wasnt even funny. Soon we will start seeing updates like every 5 minutes a tree hits a 25 on you just to stop autoers, every once in a while picking flax you fall in and die, just stupid [cabbage]

Depends on if Jagex can keep doing what there doing, most people are happy right now, so I'd give em 3 years to decide

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops