The official World of Warcraft thread.

Nadril

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of good WoW players here so I figured, if I want good answers, I should probably come here (definitely not the official WoW forums).

My question is, how am I doing for my level/class?

My character is a Draenie Warrior. My armory.

My spec is mostly arms with some fury and tactical mastery in defense.

I'm planning to do PvP so I hope I'm setting myself up for it ok.

I just got my first blue item the other day, I feel proud of myself for that :P

So what do you think?

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

It's hard to say really. A first character is always different, you want to see things, you don't know all the shortcuts and you don't find yourself missing skills you'll get at later levels because you've never seen them. My advice is to just happily go along, comparing all loot/quest rewards to your current gear, and using the ones that constitute an improvement. Have fun, get the exp, and don't worry much about your gear.

(Stepping out of the "first character" shoes and into my own; There's scant little reason to bother with gear before 60+, and even then it's important to not get bogged down running a crappy instance because the hawt loot you'll replace from 5 man instance at 70 anyway. Yeah, gear helps leveling, but in the end, you'll still end up getting rid of the [cabbage]. Better then to just keep leveling to reach a point where your gear is more than a stepping stone to the next level)

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Hey Speed. :)

Well first off, I think you made a good choice with Draenei as far as racials go. Gift of the Naaru can be very handy when soloing. As far as spec, I found a bit of a handy guide for leveling: http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=OfSteel-Guide You don't have to follow this though. For me, I always believe that one's first character on WoW is sort of a transition character that you will later not play (but maybe that's just me being weird, lol). When I was playing my first human mage in 2005 with Wistan, I learned a lot in a short period of time about the game and its intricacies. I later decided to reroll a Gnome mage and started fresh. You don't have to do this though.

I do recommend doing what Blue said - just enjoy the game, absorb the content. There's nothing like experiencing the game for the first time - don't let the experience go to waste. You can take a look at http://www.thottbot.com for quest and instance information but other than that, just take it easy. Enjoy the beginning instances like Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep, etc.

Enough of the preaching... actual concrete advice: I would recommend having professions. If anything, choose two gathering professions to make money - it helps later on when trying to get your first mount. It's become apparent that blacksmithing is a good choice for weapons at end game but that is far, far away and can be an annoying profession. Maybe try something fun like Mining/Engineering.. or another choice. It's good to grab your professions as soon as you reach level 5/move to the next town in the beginning zone. Especially for gathering professions, you need to be sure you are at the appropriate profession level for that zone so you do not come across a ton of nodes/herbs/animals you cannot gather (if you see nothing but red as far as gathering professions go, you need to go back to earlier zones and level up the skill). Don't worry about it too much though - you can always go back to the previous zones and quickly get your levels up!

Fine armor so far. You get some blue leggings from running Deadmines (the main questline, I mean... see thottbot.com). There are two chances to get a good 2H axe in Deadmines as well. Blue brought up a good point - don't waste too much time worrying about armor leveling up. A lot of it will come through quests. Do not spend money/hours at the Auction House.. it's a waste until level 70. However, if you do find yourself wanting to get gear upgrades, instances are a good place to look (see thottbot for loot). Don't get too involved in one piece though - you could use that time to level onwards. :)

Anyways, as was said, just enjoy the game to its fullest. Do what you want to do. Don't let people determine how you spend your gametime (including my post). I think the best thing about starting a new game is not getting a step-by-step playing guide from other players but discovering how you want to play it through internet exploration and in-game exploration as well.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

So far looks good. Don't worry about the game and just play.

Although...I'm really not that great either. I have yet to reach my first 70.

This is my armory...feel free to add comments about anythingm from gear to spec to whatever.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Nice darkmage, you're nearly at Outland! Don't worry about gear.. just plow through those quests and get there ASAP, lol. As far as spec goes, once you begin to gather decent +dmg, you'll want to have 5/5 Empowered Fireball as that is a great talent. Here's something I did real quick:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=of0VZxgMzbcfoeot

I had 10/0/51 as my spec awhile back and the reason 3/5 Arcane Focus is so your polymorph doesn't get resisted for instances. Other than that, I'm not the best on Fire builds really, lol. Just know about the Empowered Fireball thing - still, it isn't a big deal really. You may even want to respec Frost for the Outland leveling for extra survivability. But fire is hard to get rid of - love those ignites. :D

I'd also recommend getting tailoring/enchanting to 300 before entering Outland - at least Enchanting if possible. ^^

sithbridgeay2.jpg

It's hard to say really. A first character is always different, you want to see things, you don't know all the shortcuts and you don't find yourself missing skills you'll get at later levels because you've never seen them. My advice is to just happily go along, comparing all loot/quest rewards to your current gear, and using the ones that constitute an improvement. Have fun, get the exp, and don't worry much about your gear.

(Stepping out of the "first character" shoes and into my own; There's scant little reason to bother with gear before 60+, and even then it's important to not get bogged down running a crappy instance because the hawt loot you'll replace from 5 man instance at 70 anyway. Yeah, gear helps leveling, but in the end, you'll still end up getting rid of the [cabbage]. Better then to just keep leveling to reach a point where your gear is more than a stepping stone to the next level)

Thanks for the response BlueTear! I agree with you that on your first character you should just try and have fun. I originally made my character with the idea that I was gonna grind to 70 with Lionheart but I gave up that idea when I realized I wanted to take it slow and absorb everything WoW had to offer. Lionheart ended up slowing down anyways :P . In regards to what you said about equipment and instances, well I may not need to worry about equipment and I may not need to run instances, but I enjoy it. I'm still going to do it because I like it!

Hey Speed. :)

Hey Sith! Thanks for replying!

As far as spec, I found a bit of a handy guide for leveling: http://www.tankspot.com/index.php?pageid=OfSteel-Guide

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I've decidec that I'll mostly stick to arms with some fury and tactical mastery in protection. But I'm not far in so I can easily re-pick if I need to. (its only 1g :D )

I would recommend having professions. If anything, choose two gathering professions to make money

I failed to mention my professions! I chose leather working and skinning but I found that I just really didn't enjoy it, so I took up enchanting and I'm loving it. I'm thinking of taking tailoring so i can do a lot of on the spot enchanting and disenchanting when I make things.

There's nothing like experiencing the game for the first time - don't let the experience go to waste. You can take a look at http://www.thottbot.com for quest and instance information but other than that, just take it easy. Enjoy the beginning instances like Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep, etc.

Through some people I know that play WoW I already knew that thottbot could be a good resource, its been really helpful. And your right about the instances, I'm loving DM, but I haven't tried SFK yet. I did have a silly run through stockades though. I got my first blue item through DM, I think its called the cape of brotherhood, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I just got level 20 yesterday so I'll be able to use it. I just need to get it from my bank.

I'm having a wonderful time so far and if you ever play Drenden, look me up (names Razshil)! :D

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Nice darkmage, you're nearly at Outland! Don't worry about gear.. just plow through those quests and get there ASAP, lol. As far as spec goes, once you begin to gather decent +dmg, you'll want to have 5/5 Empowered Fireball as that is a great talent. Here's something I did real quick:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=of0VZxgMzbcfoeot

I had 10/0/51 as my spec awhile back and the reason 3/5 Arcane Focus is so your polymorph doesn't get resisted for instances. Other than that, I'm not the best on Fire builds really, lol. Just know about the Empowered Fireball thing - still, it isn't a big deal really. You may even want to respec Frost for the Outland leveling for extra survivability. But fire is hard to get rid of - love those ignites. :D

I'd also recommend getting tailoring/enchanting to 300 before entering Outland - at least Enchanting if possible. ^^

Thanks for the input. I think I'm working to a possible 10/48/3 build...this is what it'll look like. THe 48 may differ from the regular 10/48/3 build but it suits me. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=of0VZxgGzfcckeRt0h

I personally like imp. fireblast because I find a pyro-fireball-fireblast-nova-fireball-fireblast an easy way to pewpew people...If they arent dead I'll throw in a blast wave or a dragon breath (this is for pve).

Heh atm my party just wiped Sunken Temple...We're really good (most because druids>warrs at tanking). We went through all of it (past enkiru the massive dragon) without wiping. We aggroed the WHOLE jammal'an room, because of their stupid fears, and no wipe. Then, our rogue leaves. We try to fourman our way to Atalarion but I dc and the party wipes...So thats where I am, waiting for my party to rez and get here.

dmanxb7.jpg

I looooove AV weekend. :)
Yeah, when else are you going to find 25+ leechers in each side.

Man, I really want the anti-leech patch -_-

Rofl. We faced a Blackrock premade earlier and there was about 30 alliance AFKers.

Ding 61, damn the levels are getting longer and longer, i kinda like how it went from 200k (59-60) then 500k (60-61), oh well, 58-60 were the easiest 2 levels ive done since level 35, Outlands is really great atm \'

I cant wait. 54-58 is hell at the moment. I dont know where to quest! Plaguelands is shi*t. I'll try burning steppes and winterspring (whatever it's called)

dmanxb7.jpg

Ding 61, damn the levels are getting longer and longer, i kinda like how it went from 200k (59-60) then 500k (60-61), oh well, 58-60 were the easiest 2 levels ive done since level 35, Outlands is really great atm \'
I've been wondering about that.

In my mind, it's best to do all the pre-60 quests of Azeroth, in order to save as many quests as possible in Hellfire for leveling beyond 60 - because in Outland most of your leveling will be done by emptying zone after zone of quests. Since the only characters I've ever entered outland with were all level 60 well before the expansion, I don't actually know if that's true or not. And I recently started an alt to play when I don't have the time to log on to my main. It's only lvl 9, and it won't hit 60 for a long, long, long time but it renewed my interest in the idea behind staying in Azeroth for as long as possible. Any thoughts now that you're in that leveling frame?

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Sunmann

Got my epic flier.. Working on getting better shoulders, bracers and cape. Made 3 mistakes in my talent tree, the 2 in fireshield, and the 1 in flamestrike. Never re-speced once =p Disregaurd my arena ranking, I only do it for fun =p

I've been wondering about that.

In my mind, it's best to do all the pre-60 quests of Azeroth, in order to save as many quests as possible in Hellfire for leveling beyond 60 - because in Outland most of your leveling will be done by emptying zone after zone of quests. Since the only characters I've ever entered outland with were all level 60 well before the expansion, I don't actually know if that's true or not. And I recently started an alt to play when I don't have the time to log on to my main. It's only lvl 9, and it won't hit 60 for a long, long, long time but it renewed my interest in the idea behind staying in Azeroth for as long as possible. Any thoughts now that you're in that leveling frame?

Do it, and try to save as many of the "last in the chain" quests (or even the last few) for after 70, because of the money rewards.

A friend of mine recently got a second shammy to 70 (he rerolled a shammy so he could have one dps and one healy, lol) and used this method, and he was on a flying mount within a day because of it.

Hmm, how much does WoW cost? It seems to be cool, If you pay monthly, can you create multiple accounts on that payment?

$15 a month, you get one account. On that account you can have 9 characters per server, and there is a lot of servers. :P

I would stay in Azeroth until 60 for sure if you can bear it. Use the "green quest" leveling method... seriously. I've hit 58 without touching EPL, most of WPL, Silithus, Winterspring, and Burning Steppes. Level your alt by doing all quests five levels below your level - should ding next level. Rinse repeat. i.e. Do quests that are level 35 if you are level 40. For MOST level ranges, this works just fine. For level 42 quests (as an example), it isn't so great. Luckily you are 47 which is the best time to do Zul'Farrak.

Once you hit 58 and have all those zones left, it is a cakewalk to 60.. and you promise yourself a lot of money by the time you hit 70.

Can't wait until they bring out some more information about 2.3, which I presume after reading some blue posts is the patch that contains the leveling adjustment and Dustwallow Marsh additions. If people have problems getting to 60 after THAT patch, they (the players) need to seriously rework how they level in the game. ;)

sithbridgeay2.jpg

Probably uh, well it is actually, "not right" for me to do this, but I can offer anyone here a copy of Brian Kopp's 1-70 Alliance Guide and Joana's 1-70 Horde Guide for free here.

I don't follow it religiously, but it's no doubt handy.

They REALLY need to fix PvP in this game. It's such a joke that it's funny. I did AV weekend - my first time seriously PvPing - and I *never* saw another Horde character the ENTIRE time. I won every game I played in (luck, surely) and never killed a single Horde. You run around and knock off Horde NPC's...I mean, it's FUN, but that's not PvP at all...AV has a good premise, though...You actually have to work at objectives. AB, for instance, you just have to touch a flag to start racking up points. Yawn. How about let us assault the objectives, burning them to the ground and rebuilding them in our faction's fashion, like you would in a Warcraft RTS. And WSG...WSG is alright. I personally dno't like it much, but it's just simple capture the flag, can't change much. As for Eye of the Storm, I haven't played it yet, but I'd wager to say that it sucks too.

People aren't joking when they say they take the "War" out of "Warcraft" with this game. They have like, the best combat system ever in an MMO, and they're not even using it...

We'll see what they can come up with with the seige weapons in the expansion...At least that sounds like it'll be war.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

WOO finally got my level 60 epic marshal bow haha in retrospec it wasnt really worth all those long AV matches with half the idiot turtles on the alliance side but it just looks so hawt, i don't know how people can stand doing AV all the time i really hate it

kirby-sig.gif