The official World of Warcraft thread.

Nadril

I think that Lake Wintergrasp, a pure PVP zone, will help a lot will PVP. The way Tigole/Jeff Kaplan described it makes it sound like it isn't Halaa in Nagrand - rather, there are many opportunities in the zone to fight against the opposite faction. Missions/quests to complete, destructible buildings, different objectives and things to do - not just one city with one goal. Supposedly they're adding a new BG soon too (Azshara Crater?) and they're adjusting Alterac Valley to make it a bit better.

Other things we're doing are changing or pulling out NPCs in key locations to help even out the balance of time and effort each side has to take to push through. As well as some minor changes to locations that people find are easily exploited to advance faster.

We're shifting some of the honor from the earlier NPCs, that help make AFKing so lucrative, to the end of the battleground and more for actually winning.

The graveyard spawning is being changed so that players aren't sent back to the cave unless there is nowhere else to spawn, which should help encourage horde to play a bit more defense if they're being beaten back.

And we're also correcting the ... I think Jeff referred to them as "creative pulling mechanics" with the general's.

It should help a bit but maybe not too much with the fact that AV is mostly a PVE battleground. I think it will still be that in the big picture but at least it will be balanced and have more of an incentive to win, rather than cave camp.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... l&n=Fooman

My armory at the moment. Xfered to a new server to play with some former guildies. Also, I'm almost done with the AQ Gates quest chain, so I should be able to get the legendary mount in the next week. :D

Foooman.png

I never cleared Silithus out properly when back when I was 60 and they first introduced the money patch on my warlock. Except for the 40-50 range - which truly does suck, and I'm so glad they're remaking Dustwallow to combat it - I should be able to advance a fair bit. Atm my level 9 druid is beating his head against a wall because it's my first Night Elf ever - and I just really don't know their starting zone. I could get disc exp on my current main, and my first 60 was horde >_>

I like Alterac Valley, because unlike Eye of Storm - which is like AB, except when you're outmatched in AB you lose, and in EotS you're just tormented until the game FINALLY ends - or any of the other BG's, it is what you make of it.

Want to earn honour while killing stuff? Follow the zerg. Want to fight off hordes of oncoming player attacks? Defend a GY. Want 1v1 or 2v2 fights with a clear objective? Defend or recap your flags. Want a fight-for-your-life, rush infront of the zerg hoping for a ninja-cap. There's just so many different things you can do that will help the overall effort - and quite frankly, there's a crapload of people who wouldn't recognize the overall effort if it jumped up and took a bite out of their face, so the attentative player can choose his role with relative freedom.

And personally, I don't think anything Blizzard does will "fix" world PvP. The benefits and bonuses gained from PvP victories can never be made too significant, because in a game where there are only two sides, one side will always have disadvantage. If you want to balance that properly, the first step is to have three sides, because one side will never be able to outmatch the two others. This *severly* limits the kind of Faction vs Faction PvP they can design, which is one reason for arena's. Which although fun and adrenaline pumping, still feels... a bit tame.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

It's general consensus amongst us that world PvP is dead, so, therefore, what would be the point of rolling a PvP server?

(Hypothetical question - I know my preferred server is a PvP one)

Hmz... Not sure I'd call it dead as such, just limited in scope. Despite attempts to encourage it on a grander scale, the rewards - compared to BG grinding - are just not worth it. Oh sure, the occasional Halaa brawl or fight on the Hellfire Peninsula gives some rewards, but the risk vs reward ration on those aren't nearly interesting enough to encourage more than casual world PvP, setting the hardcore PvP in arena's (and to a much, much lesser extent, BG's).

As to why roll on a PvP server; Because the playstyle is radically different. Played properly you always keep a sharp lookout for a human opponent that will never hesitate to strike at you when you're at your weakest. They will exploit your mistakes, momentary weaknesses and vulnerabilities in a way that no mob ever could. It takes more effort, more thinking, more skill to get what you want done on a PvP server.

Personally, I'd like to see the various faction cities remade to encourage world PvP. Make the leaders give tangiable - and considerable - honour rewards, make killing members of the opposite faction in your city zone give some form of mark you can exchange for honour or items, and seriously rework the neverending spawns of guards.

It's general consensus amongst us that world PvP is dead, so, therefore, what would be the point of rolling a PvP server?

Hmz... Not sure I'd call it dead as such, just limited in scope. Despite attempts to encourage it on a grander scale, the rewards - compared to BG grinding - are just not worth it. Oh sure, the occasional Halaa brawl or fight on the Hellfire Peninsula gives some rewards, but the risk vs reward ration on those aren't nearly interesting enough to encourage more than casual world PvP, setting the hardcore PvP in arena's (and to a much, much lesser extent, BG's).

As to why roll on a PvP server; Because the playstyle is radically different. Played properly you always keep a sharp lookout for a human opponent that will never hesitate to strike at you when you're at your weakest. They will exploit your mistakes, momentary weaknesses and vulnerabilities in a way that no mob ever could. It takes more effort, more thinking, more skill to get what you want done on a PvP server.

Personally, I'd like to see the various faction cities remade to encourage world PvP. Make the leaders give tangiable - and considerable - honour rewards, make killing members of the opposite faction in your city zone give some form of mark you can exchange for honour or items, and seriously rework the neverending spawns of guards.

Ever thought of working for Blizzard? :P

Me and a bunch of random people took over Darkshire on the PvP PTR, it was awesome. Only thing that got us eventually was the frickin' guard spawn. Couldn't regain mana or heal in time because as soon as one guard dies another magically appears out of no-where. I like the idea of gaining rewards for killing people in their own city zones. But I'd expect that'd only go down well with large groups, rogues and druids. Leaving a lot of people out. The -8 level thing for gaining honor sucks [wagon]. It should be 4 at best. Unless of course you're 8 levels below your opponent. :P

I think you get like 5 - 15? Honor per kill in World PvP. For the amount of time and hassle you might as well go into AV and kill a few mobs with your big [wagon] group.

It does need major work, but it'll never happen. Blizzards way to fix "World" PvP is to add another PvP zone. Sure it's a step in the right direction, but I don't wanna have to fly/ride/walk to a seperate zone to play World of Warcraft. I wanna do it when I'm wandering about in Orgrimmar, chasing down an Alliance alt in Redridge. Hell I'd even settle for sitting in the war room in Stormwind (Which I've done a few times...)

I suppose it's good to have these ideas but to be honest I do get Blizzards point of view too. If WoW was one giant warzone no one would be able to level, gain items or craft items. Think back to what RS was like when the only safe zone was Lumby. It'd be like that, or very similar at least. Poor little Joe Newbie would get to level 5/6 and leave his nice safe starting zone, walk out into Elywnn and get 'WTFPWNED' by a passing group of level 70 Horde. I don't think there's any real way to prevent this to be honest. I know the way the zones are the now are fairly well laid out. But contested zones start as early as 16/17.

PS. That probably made no sense at all. Read if you dare. :P (Wait you should have done that already...)

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Yah, the gaurd spawns are ridicolous. I hate getting my rear handed to me by a guy 25 levels above me as much as the next guy, but come on? These gaurds are remnant of the dishonourable kill system, catering way, way too much to the carebears. I don't think they should be removed completely, but if you have a large enough force with you to take them out, they should actually stay down for a while. I have nothing against a system where gradual increase in spawns drives the attackers away, but there's nothing gradual to the conjuring of guards nowadays.

I'm more into the idea of making all town zones give marks for kills to the defending side. That way, if a lvl 70 is ganking Duskwood, there's a clear incentative for a lvl 70 of the opposing faction to move there, and dispose of him. Higher levels protect lower levels from ganking and get a clear tangiable reward in return. I'd definitely do it.

I think Blizzard are starting to realize that PvP needs more attention, mostly in light of upcoming titles like WAR. Although I personally think the way it's being thrown around the WoW forums as the answer to Life And Everything is nothing but pre-release hype, it is being designed by Mythic, the guys who originally came up with the Realm vs Realm style of play. And I agree with you on Lake Wintergrasp; A single zone is most likely going to be painfully inadequate in comparison. I sincerely doubt they'll be able to design that single zone in a fashion that makes it the answer to PvP in WoW. They could make the zone good, certainly, but enough to compete with WAR for the money of the actual PvP addicts?

This would be cool:

you know how some people get REALLY frustrated with people ganking them? I think there should be a system of bounties.

1. You go to a major city and place the name of the player you would like to see killed.

2. You put up a certain price (must be 1g+ but most people would only do high gold ones). There will be a deposit so it can sort of be a money-drain to control inflation. Of course there will be a timelimit...2 days perhaps? (If no one kills that person in the time you get your money back but possibly not the deposit).

3. If a person manages to kill the person they receive the head of the person. If a group kills I guess it can be rolled on. The person then returns the head to the bounty area in one of the faction's major cities and reaps the reward. The person knows that the person they wanted killed was successfully ganked.

4. The end. You make money when you kill people.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

I love dual wielding. I just got it recently and I love the difference in speed there is. My guild provided me with two nice weapons for dual wielding and another guild member provided the demonslaying enchantment free. Its so awesome, I'm really happy.

Just check out my armory.

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

My subscription runs out over night, tonight.

RIP. Another rogue bites the dust.

Luckily there's a couple hundred thousand of us!

You'll be back.

To be honest, I've been having so much fun on my PTR paladin that I was thinking about rolling one. Only problem with that is I hated levelling the first time and I don't think I'll be able to do it again. Wish WotLK would hurry up so at least when I make a DK I'll be able to skip most of the crap I hated the first and second time around. :wall:

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

What stories can be told about Gruul? I heard that at one point, he was bugged, and would hit Hurtful Stikes on pretty much anyone he wanted to. Some say he still does it.

Also, imagine this: Gruul vs the Kalphite Queen.

Kq can be 2 manned...even 1 manned.....I think the KQ would need to pray just a littttttttle harder.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

My subscription runs out over night, tonight.

RIP. Another rogue bites the dust.

Luckily there's a couple hundred thousand of us!

You'll be back.

To be honest, I've been having so much fun on my PTR paladin that I was thinking about rolling one. Only problem with that is I hated levelling the first time and I don't think I'll be able to do it again. Wish WotLK would hurry up so at least when I make a DK I'll be able to skip most of the crap I hated the first and second time around. :wall:

Pallys are really fun I have a 70 pally and im a tank, we level slow but you can spec ret until higher levels and go holy or prot heh everyone hate the ret. But ya if you want a really high defense hybrid class try out one there great :XD:

Gruul would, quite literally, 1 shot the Kalaphite Queen. Seeing as that he's a raid boss, I'd imagine he hits somewhere between 1 and 2k damage on plate armor. I haven't raided on my warrior yet post-BC, so I dunno'. I can tell you every other boss hits that hard, though! :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Well if you wait for patch 2.3 (Zul'Aman patch), they're releasing Dustwallow Marsh updates including more quests to Brackenwall, Theramore, and a new goblin town. A lot of new quests it sounds like. And this helps that 35-45 bracket which really sucks, lol. Jeff Kaplan mentioned this but he also mentioned the increase in quest XP... still, not sure if that comes out also in 2.3 or not.

sithbridgeay2.jpg