Tip.it Times 14 February 2010

Mirror

The first article was good, but the second really shined.

As of myself i enjoy castlewars, but not to the point that surpasses Trouble brewing and Stealing creation. Soul wars and GoP aren't really my thing, so i don't really comment on them.

SC is a masterpiece and encourages not only team work but fast thinking and risks (climb through the tool lvs or try to get a lv5 clay bare-handed).

Trouble brewing is just darn fun to play, specially burning the bridges :lol:

As the writer said, CW is just classic unchanged fun and madness that everyone loves. Sure the erwrds could be better, but the overall experience wouldn't be heightned or lowered by these (i hope)

For those who are wondering, the suggestions in question I have talked about can be found here:

Stealing Creation

and

Castle Wars

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I enjoyed the first article, it made a good point. People seem to forget when they're rude or insulting on Runescape, it's no different to saying the same thing to a stranger in real life. It's always nice when people try to bring a bit more kindness into the game :)

The second article annoyed me a bit (even ignoring the fact it's not called the Grand orb project :P) It seemed to ignore one of the main things about Castle Wars: it's fun. Yes, it doesn't give XP, but is that the only purpose of Runescape? Castle Wars is entertaining, and doesn't have the same problems other minigames have (freeloaders for example). But I agree, it needs an update to rewards - which I think it's getting, I'm sure I read somewhere they had plans to make some small improvements to it...

And I don't think people will rant about that ;)

But I agree, Stealing Creation is a masterpiece; I've played it 40 or 50 times and still don't get bored of it :)

I didn't understand the second article. it went on about how teams are often stacked and there are 50-50 worlds and nocombat sc worlds. and then it went onto the play styles of the minigames. and then it started talking about updating castle wars...

Could somebody enlighten me to what he was getting at?

was he talking about 4 different things or working his way up to 'castle wars should be updated'

The second article annoyed me a bit (even ignoring the fact it's not called the Grand orb project :P) It seemed to ignore one of the main things about Castle Wars: it's fun. Yes, it doesn't give XP, but is that the only purpose of Runescape? Castle Wars is entertaining, and doesn't have the same problems other minigames have (freeloaders for example). But I agree, it needs an update to rewards - which I think it's getting, I'm sure I read somewhere they had plans to make some small improvements to it...

And I don't think people will rant about that ;)

But I agree, Stealing Creation is a masterpiece; I've played it 40 or 50 times and still don't get bored of it :)

So... by completely agreeing with the point I was trying to make, you got annoyed? Please check with a local doctor if whatever you ingested an hour ago is right for you...

I didn't understand the second article. it went on about how teams are often stacked and there are 50-50 worlds and nocombat sc worlds. and then it went onto the play styles of the minigames. and then it started talking about updating castle wars...

Could somebody enlighten me to what he was getting at?

was he talking about 4 different things or working his way up to 'castle wars should be updated'

Ok, couple of things.

1. I never talked about 50-50 worlds or non-combat SC worlds.

2. I never mentioned play styles, I was talking and comparing each of the better qualities of each group 1 vs. group 2 minigames

and 3. I came to the conclusion, after comparing all five of them, that Castle Wars is lagging behind, that it MIGHT need an update (and how many people have suggested something), but is probably not wise to do.

The other person that I quoted seemed to get it, perhaps the two of you should meet? :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Can have a fun minigame like castlewars that everyone plays whenever they want to have some fun but people that are really focused on skills never play

or a game like stealing creation which has awesome rewards and basically being forced to play it to be efficient with some skills.....

They need a happy medium a game people will play for fun and get rewards that are good when they play but that wont change some skills dramatically

but stealing creation is cool and can justify the noncombat rewards from it as you skill the whole game....mining + agility in ba...when do you use those skills in ba??

StarViv.png

The first article was a real good one to read. Online bullying is something that grows and grows.

Not a very light thing, just for the laugh, but a real serious problem, even on RS.

I remember once that I collected some herbs by killing man/woman in Lumbridge. A dude called me noob, stupid and such.

Now I don't argue with people like that. Acting so low on a game, I can spend my time better.

Then 4 guys arrived, and started to call me names. That was the point I reported them.

Now I didn't felt down or something, it was rather funny that some players use the game for this kinda stuff, but I understand it can go too far.

And people can be really upset about it.

I don't even understand it. Because you are save in your house, behind a screen, you just think you can say everything.

Call everybody names. Act like a [cabbage].

And in real life, you don't even think about acting like that.

The second article pointed out the Mini Games.

Now I have played Castle Wars only 4 times, because it's a bit hard in the beginning.

Stealing Creation, was something I played for the tools. That's what I thought.

But it turned out to be a fun mini game. Acting with a team, helping eachother, and defeat the other team always makes me feel good.

And off course, the nice points so I can buy stuff.

In my opnion SC is a Mini Game that shows what a Mini Game has to carry to be succesfull.

A reward that is good, and helpfull in lots of skills, and the challenge of beating the other team.

There is even a individual part in it, you can be the one that gathered the most resources, or that killed the most people.

I always try to be the one who gathered the most resources and turned them into items.

I really have a fun time when playing SC.

"We had gay burglars the other night. They broke in and rearranged the furniture."

Umoria.png

@Ts's article:

I just cannot agree that Castle Wars needs an update. The only update it needed was the changing of IP address priority to random instead of the closest to 0 as they did a few months back. The reward was ment to be an achievement and not something you can get without skill and dedication. Yes the one game per 25 minutes in annoying, but there are free spaces that occur, especially in themed worlds. The rewards were ment to be an achievement and I believe that they may be a bit over priced, but like partyhats, they are for show and usually nothing productive comes out of them :P. Combat, to the casual CW player, seems to be a major factor in who wins the game; however, it's not. Someone with the right skills, whether it be scoring or defending, can out play someone 30 combat levels over them easily. I've seen it happen, it's been done to me, and I've done it years ago.

The only problem I see with Castle Wars is that it has gone from a game for the everyday player to a game for elites. If you play in the themed worlds, there is no chance that you can score with the best mage defence and even brews. With the introduction of themed worlds, the regular worlds have been decimated of their once sparsely populated groups of players.

I did however like your article even though I didn't agree with parts of it ;).

Forsaken's article was nice too :P

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

1) While it would be nice if CW had more tangible and/or useful rewards, i don't think it needs to be tinkered with. Yes it does feel a little dated, but so does my car. I love my car. If you enjoy something, you won't care if it has little squibbles.

2) I actually met one of my exes on Runescape. She lived in Brazil at the time, but later on moved to Tampa with her sister and we dated pretty seriously for a while. As far as cybrbullying goes, meh. This is just the new thing to set off the people who weren't going to make it anyway. If cyberbullying makes you kill yourself its more than likely you would've found something else that you'd kill yourself over. If you're seriously affected by what someone over the internet said about you and you kill yourself I don't think the world is going to be missing much.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

You'll find that there's nothing to keep players playing GOP after the first altar if the teams are too imbalanced, think of it as a 10 minute penalty or a 12-16 minute penalty, +60/80 tokens.

There needs to be a different system in place for losing in GOP...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

You'll find that there's nothing to keep players playing GOP after the first altar if the teams are too imbalanced, think of it as a 10 minute penalty or a 12-16 minute penalty, +60/80 tokens.

There needs to be a different system in place for losing in GOP...

GOP needs a vast reworking on a number of its issues.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I though it was Great Orb project :wink:

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

Tsk, Castlewars does not need an update. People don't play it for the rewards, they play it because it is fun. And always ever, one level 60 that can manage their run energy can turn the tide as the point is NOT combat, but to capture the flag.

A few examples of what I've done personally, always against greater opponents.

I've held someone 40 levels higher than me in top gear that would have easily plowed through to the flag from passing the spawn room. Simply enough, I just engaged him in a fight, which he thought would be a quick kill, and stood there using bandages for five minutes. As it was a 4vs4 game, he was the entire offense of his team, and the heavy fighters that were the rest of my team tore through his teams defenders.

In a large game, I've kept barriers up. Yes, they fall quickly to explosives, but people leave auto retaliate up, and ice barrage people like to defend, so I kept putting them up as fast as they went down.

In a more medium game, without too many ancient mages, I've slipped through the defenses countless times, and capped flags like nobody's business but my own.

Now, I haven't played this game for some 40 combat levels besides for the diary. All these things were done by a level 60, non pure, who plays to win.

The point of this is, it doesn't matter your combat level, it's possible to have fun... in a minigame with fighting... against fully decked out players... by realising it IS a game, and playing.

Yes, even if you are level 3, there is something for you to do. You can help with the barricades, keep the tunnels blocked, operate the catapult... even join the catapult's chat and scout out co-ordinates for it to hit... and you'll be effective against even max level players when practiced.

Not one mention of Pest Control in the minigame article pretty much invalidates the whole thing.

Pest Control was the most successful minigame ever until the "OMG pest products get slayer... nubs" nerf-a-thon.

Also, the idea of changing castle wars is a joke.

Its been nerfed down so bad over the years with game engine updates that break things.

It used to be a skill (twitch) based game, but so much lag, dead clicks, and IP and PID priority biasing have degraded it into a shadow of what it was.

Nobody who regulars castle wars will say anything good about updates to it.

Just wipe out that joke of a minigame, soul wars, make a new game in its spot based on all these "castle wars improvements".

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Not one mention of Pest Control in the minigame article pretty much invalidates the whole thing.

Pest Control was the most successful minigame ever until the "OMG pest products get slayer... nubs" nerf-a-thon.

The article was about PvP minigames. Pest Control is not PvP, therefore it was not mentioned.

Anyway, first article was interesting, I do find that some people do just forget that there are people behind the characters, some people just see pixels. It's just sad really.

Second article I can't really comment on much, being F2P, but from what I remember (3 years ago), Castle Wars had a sort of "feeling" about it. I don't knwo what it was, it was just so appealing, even though the rewards were terrible. The game itself was just fun.

First article: People need to grow a skin or play decently. 'Treat others how you would like to be treated.' and all that. If you play nicely, there's no reason for anyone to insult you. If you're going to play like an idiot, be prepared to be treated like one.

Article two: Not member so it doesn't really matter to me... so no opinion on this one.

ME WANT FICTION! I shall now vote in the poll and tell it so.

I think the lack of rewards in Castle Wars makes it a good thing. That way, if you have a really unbalanced team, it doesn't matter as long as you have fun. Also, Soul Wars doesn't always have equal teams from my experience...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The first article encouraged me to log on to f2p and throw some major insults (the ones that people are really sensitive about - racial, gender and age related) at random people. Nice work, Forsakenmage, I thought, you made me remember it's possible to kill people without leaving a trace.

However, it was a total disappointment. Either RS players don't know english nowadays or all of them play with public chat off. Noone even noticed major insults thrown straight in their face.

And basically that means the article was written without looking at the current situation. We have roughly a 50/50 situation, where 50% are the occasional RS players who always played RS because of it's strong (much better than in other MMOs) solo gameplay element. In solo games, if someone tells you something along the lines "**** *******? ****** ******* ********* ****** ****!", you don't really care about that. Hence such people don't take EVERY word, that a random PC (player controlled character in this context) says, personally. Even if that's said directly at them.

However, the other 50% love teamplay (the aspect in which RuneScape is severely weak up to this very day), also like player interaction, chatting, making friends on-line, etc. They seem to CARE about what others say ALWAYS, even when they SHOULDN'T. Honestly, I don't give a [censored by author] about them, because it's better if a game teaches them not to listen to everything random strangers say (think insults, scamming, false accusations etc).

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

The first article encouraged me to log on to f2p and throw some major insults (the ones that people are really sensitive about - racial, gender and age related) at random people. Nice work, Forsakenmage, I thought, you made me remember it's possible to kill people without leaving a trace.

However, it was a total disappointment. Either RS players don't know english nowadays or all of them play with public chat off. Noone even noticed major insults thrown straight in their face.

Erm... gratz on your potential mute anyways?

and boo you for making people cry.