Tip.It Times Presents: Why So Serious...

Rcty

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great article. The desicion between an economical approach and a laid back one make a great discussion

supporthisox7.gif

GUESS WHAT? The RED SOX and PATRIOTS are awesome, and there is nothing you con do about it.

CURRENT GOALS: Smithing 42/50...Fishing 47/50...Magic 35/33 Completed!! ...Attack 40/40 Completed!!!

I bought bgs 29.1m 3 days ago, sold yesterday at 30m (for those who are mathematically challenged: 800k profit).

Insane epic fail....

This is really relevant to what i'm doing at the moment, i'm trying to get 99 hunter by the time I go back to school, which means i'm really working myself, and forcing myself to get this xp by the end of the day when I could be tempted to play Super Smash Bros. or chat with friends.

The TSA IRC channel helps me though. :thumbsup:

A great read, well done NS.

hugo_da_dark.png

I thought it was a great read, and an interesting topic. But i feel I need to add something. Stormage talked about what makes runescape fun for us, such as being rich or powerful. But in my opinion, working towards goals is more fun than achieving them. I spent a long time working toward 70 range, had tons of fun on my way there, and when i did it, i felt somewhat disappointed. I was happy I made it there, but I no longer had something to work for.

So, I'll leave you with a quote, although I'm not sure who said this: "It's not the destination, but the getting there that's good."

ae84735921.png

Porsche: It's supposed to go in the rear.

I agree with fitting into both categories. As a player who prefers to DIY most of her skills and materials, I can say that I often find myself spending more time than necessary on gathering my materials for my levels but I feel that this is more rewarding. I'm not a rich player on RS. I don't sell a lot of my things for money but will often take a longer approach. Sometimes I DO mine my own ess, make my own runes and then eventually get around to training my magic. But, of course, the minute I get bored, I go do something else. Do I ALWAYS do it all myself? The answer to that, of course, is no. At times, there are goals that I need RIGHT NOW like getting a few range levels for a clan war. Then I have no problem marching to the GE and buying my arrows and any other supplies that I need.

There are some things that I refuse to buy, not when I can easily make them myself but there are things that I'll buy in a pinch. There are even things that I won't use because I can't make/obtain them on my own. I guess I'm a different kind of RS player but as long as I'm happy with my game experience, I really don't care.

Rose-Sig.jpg

Good Article to me the Economical Approach is fun :)

123aidan.png

Current Goal: Quest Cape

sub-Goal: Geting the skills

.gif<<< click to make them grow! dont click to make them die :(

To see all my dragons go here>>>http://dragcave.net/user/fire737

Signature your in it put backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

What an original title.

Mhm.

It's been so overused, I'm not going to even read the article.

Read it anyway, the article doesn't actually refer to it any more after that.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Not that good, and as it has been said before.. That title.. Ugh.

I read that thread that was started awhile ago as mentioned by Ts_Stormrage, and this article more or less regurgitated what was said back then; throwing in a few examples of his own of course. Some people play hard to win and accomplish goals, some take the more laid back; more fun approach to their achieve goals. That's the bottom line, nothing new here. :|

If anyone was wondering about what thread I was talking about, you can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=748665&.

Removed a comment towards Ts_Stormrage. Did not mean any offense but others seem to have taken it that way due me not including a ' :P '.

I play to fulfill my own self-satisfaction. When I'm going for a certain level or something, I'm doing it because I want to accomplish a goal that I set for myself - I find achieving goals to be a fun thing. When I'm doing something like PVP mini games, I'm doing it because I want to relax and play without having to worry about getting a certain amount of Xp. Both styles of playing are fun if you ask me. :)

This article did a great job of discussing something without saying anything at all. It didn't explain anything new, it didn't make a stand on any position or opinion. Basically, it tried to talk about an issue, and failed to explain why it was talking about the issue. What's the point of an opinion piece that doesn't even present an opinion to debate? It's no good just saying "Some people think this, and other people think this." Tell us what you think. Don't say that people have different definitions of "fun." Duh. Give us some insight. Otherwise what are we supposed to argue about?

Oh, and yes I did know. ;)

I combine things. I usually set one goal I work towards, just very slowly, and often slack off to do something else I feel like doing. Oh, and usually I try to do most things myself, unless the reward is really not worth it in terms of exp/money/fun/all earlier options together (spinning bs anyone?). I also don't care much about what others think about what I do. I have some decent stats, if I may say so myself, but no 99, unlike others of my lvl, because either a 99 in that skill is useless to me (I don't call bragging with a fletching cape usefull, neither just getting a skillcape while 99 offers no new possibilities), and/or because I don't feel like getting it.

Lately I've been working to raise my crafting with green dhide*. To 99? No, just to 90. Why is that? Because I want to make my own fury, after acquiring an onyx gem by killing tzhaar and selling their drops. This is not productive, I would probably have made money selling those drops for gp and buying a fury, and saved myself tons of time not getting 90 crafting. But I felt like putting a goal that was not that easy to reach (I started at lv 65), but not just for a number in the highscores. And no, no one will know what I did, or be impressed by me wearing a fury, unless impressed by about 3m, but who cares? I know what I did for it, and I will remember the months of crafting and getting tokkul for this amulet everytime I put it on**.

And it did take me months already, because I stop when I get bored, and go to do something else, or call it a day. But this keeps the fun in my game, and that's what a game is for, in my opinion.

*For the record, I'm 100k into lv 87 now, and got some more than 1.2m exp to go.

**Another note: I alch the bodies I make, and to do that I need nats. I get these by rcing with pure essence I mined myself ;) (refused to pay more than 100ea for such an easy to get material, so now I just don't buy it anymore).

Not that good, and as it has been said before.. That title.. Ugh. Ts_Stormrage credibility -1.

I read that thread that was started awhile ago as mentioned by Ts_Stormrage, and this article more or less regurgitated what was said back then; throwing in a few examples of his own of course. Some people play hard to win and accomplish goals, some take the more laid back; more fun approach to their achieve goals. That's the bottom line, nothing new here. :|

Why is it a bad article? It addresses the very basic nature of how people play and manage there time. I tend play more or less how i want and do what i want, if theres something i truly want that bad then i will push for it and try to get it asap. Otherwise i work at it as i feal the need.

As far as there being nothing new here i ask what more dose it need? Its a very basic and general topic as most of the times articles are. Hell its better then some interview or rant about a new update imo. At least theirs some discussion value.

Bottom line is dont put down someones work if you cant actually come up with somthing better yourself or at least offer a good reason as to why you think its bad other then its been said before. Things do change over time and people do get new views on how they play.

I ask you this. Why so serious?

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!

My blog to 99 slayer: Here

Not that good, and as it has been said before.. That title.. Ugh. Ts_Stormrage credibility -1.

"Ts_Stormrage credibility -1." Because of a title? A title that, even though it's from a movie is actually relevant to the topic? Maybe you should write an article since you seem to be the final authority on credibility. Then we can flame you for lacking credibility for no reason.

How is it relevant? I'm glad you asked. Seeing as how this IS a game, why the serious approach to everything? Isn't the point of a game to escape the GRIND of the real world and have, omg say it isn't so, FUN? I understand the need to achieve goals. I have my own goals, but I don't skill to the point of wanting to quit RS because it's become beyond boring due to the repetition of the same skill day in and day out to attain a cape so people can follow me around going "OMG do emote."

Maybe someday people will use their brains before they use their keyboards.

Rose-Sig.jpg

[hide=Addressing Dudy80 & LadyAriannaRose]

Why is it a bad article? It addresses the very basic nature of how people play and manage there time. I tend play more or less how i want and do what i want, if theres something i truly want that bad then i will push for it and try to get it asap. Otherwise i work at it as i feal the need.

The reason I said it was bad was pretty clearly stated I thought. It just regurgitated the information within another thread that was started not too long ago, with a few examples of his own.

As far as there being nothing new here i ask what more dose it need? Its a very basic and general topic as most of the times articles are. Hell its better then some interview or rant about a new update imo. At least theirs some discussion value.

True enough. There is some discussion value to be had for sure, I was expecting something a little more complex though then this sort of topic. Nothing against Stormrage there, just personal opinion.

Bottom line is dont put down someones work if you cant actually come up with somthing better yourself or at least offer a good reason as to why you think its bad other then its been said before. Things do change over time and people do get new views on how they play.

I ask you this. Why so serious?

I ask you the same question back, I never put stormrage, or his work down. You should know when you post an article of something you'd expect criticism, and that's I gave him.

But seriously; "..and this article more or less regurgitated what was said back then; throwing in a few examples of his own of course."

Isn't that a good enough reason? I was the first one to say it as well.. So, why so critical? :lol:

"Ts_Stormrage credibility -1." Because of a title? A title that, even though it's from a movie is actually relevant to the topic? Maybe you should write an article since you seem to be the final authority on credibility. Then we can flame you for lacking credibility for no reason.

Sorry, reread my post. I meant to put a ' :P ' in there but must have mis-clicked.

How is it relevant? I'm glad you asked.

I'll assume this point was addressed to me. I didn't ask how it was relevant.

Maybe someday people will use their brains before they use their keyboards.

I made a typo, I'm human; sue me. Maybe you'll learn some common respect towards other someday rather then typing insults to others.[/hide]

Really, I apologize for making a comment that wasn't needed. But your comments towards me weren't needed as well, with that said I will remove the comment. Since this topic has some discussion value, lets remove the unnecessary comments and continue to hear from others.