Tip.It Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!

MPM

This week's Times article is by Errdoth and he discusses how Runescape actually helps students. If you haven't read it yet, read it here and then discuss with anyone else.

I would like to point out that jagex also has a section discussing this as well. Check out the educational benefits of Runescape in the parent's guide.

~M

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read it. It has improved my typing skills a lot, I have used math countless times and i figure out new ways to figure different problems all the time. If i would have never played Runescape I would never have gotten to typing 50 to 60 words a minute.

I'll be in Honors Geometry this school year too.

quad40.png

A little far-fetched (OK, a LOT far-fetched...you're REALLY reaching to prove your point), but an interesting read nonetheless.

P.S. to MPM - check your code for the Times' news announcement...you've got the whole second paragraph acting as a link to the article...

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

runescape spoiled my grammar. in scool test i once wrote u instead you, tat instead that....etc, but it did improved my typing but i don't really care if it's educational or not.

natasa777.jpegavatar175ed1.gif

refresh to see another sig

F2p forever

A little far-fetched (OK, a LOT far-fetched...you're REALLY reaching to prove your point), but an interesting read nonetheless.

I agree, I totally disagree with all of your points, ok, it does help people typing and typing is extremely useful in todays society by the way, as large amounts of work is now office work and its very useful to get jobs done.

Everything else is extremely tenuous. A nice read but still I don't agree with almost everything you've said.

Sig.jpg

I'm sorry to agree with most of the above said. But what i was shocked at reading the article is that you haven't touched the most blatant case of educational use of Runescape: for us non-native english users, it's a very varied place to expand your vocabulary (at least for me it was...). I find it that the game focus so many diferent activities that you learn words to talk about pretty much everything (even now and then i learn a few new words on here and i'm not ashamed of it...).

Great, denial in essay format.

There is not much to go for here, but there is some, and I will build on it. In the financial world of Runescape, we need to know our math, if someone is trading you items and you want to know the total value, do you really want to grab your pencil and scrawl down addition problems, or to figure out how much time it will take to level, do you really want to have to write down equations? By repeatedly doing these everyday tasks that involve math, our mentality changes and we can do these problems mentally.

:lol:

Addition was back in kindergarden dude.

Though Runescape may be the Sultan of Fantasy, there is some real history to be found there. Who (besides a Lord of the Rings fan) would know what a scimitar was without Runescape? How would we know about Amour and Bows and arrows and quivers? People who play Runescape know a lot more in the subject of History and Medieval times that people who just read the textbooks. The textbook might say ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅBattle Axes were used by the Mongols in their raids throughout Asia and Europe.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

If you're learning anything particularly useful from Runescape, unless you are a 7 year old then theres not much hope for you in the future :/

With the possible exception of improved typing skills. Which come in useful in lots of places, not just being a Secretary, but the trouble is the only people who even type properly in Runescape are those who already have decent typing skills.

It's a game.

I'm sorry to agree with most of the above said. But what i was shocked at reading the article is that you haven't touched the most blatant case of educational use of Runescape: for us non-native english users, it's a very varied place to expand your vocabulary (at least for me it was...). I find it that the game focus so many diferent activities that you learn words to talk about pretty much everything (even now and then i learn a few new words on here and i'm not ashamed of it...).

Thing is, most native English speakers don't realize the potential to learn so many words from RuneScape. It likely wasn't covered because it didn't cross the author's mind.

I agree and disagree with this article. I've found it helps me with learning things; in history classes, I understand more about the weapons used, for example. Also, I was pretty good at mental math before, and I'm using it now more than ever because of RuneScape.

And yes, video games help with writing and the imagination. Some might say they've given me an overactive imagine, but that's beside the point.

And you missed the angle of economics; that's the biggest thing I've learned from RuneScape, but that might be just me.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

Your history argument simply fails. You do not learn about history in Runescape. I knew what a scimitar was before runescape. I knew all those things before runescape. I think almost everyone does. Everyone can picture a medieval town. And if you think the Mongols used normal axes, you're being a bit dumb. -.-

The only things I've learned from runescape are faster typing skills and that copper and tin make bronze. Oh, and that monkfish actually exist. It has also taught me you can eat a shark in one bite, survive a fire breathing dragon, carve a bow in .5 seconds, help elven, gnome, troll, ogre, fairy, werewolf, and dwarf species, cast magic spells, fire arrows and never miss, freeze someone by clapping your hands together, light a fire in 1 second, cook a fish in 1 second, find bones on the ground, bring back the dead, and can make mithril armor.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Guest ShadowClawe

Might want to add science. I never knew Copper + Tin = Bronze until I started playing runescape :P

yeah, I have to agree, my creative writing and typing skills have gone up hugely thanks to runescape.

But I did know about scimtitars ect before playing runescape, and when i am trying to calculate something that I can't do in my head, I just use a calculator.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

Sorry to say this, but that article was very poorly written.

Not only were the concepts not entirely accurate (I would learn a whole LOT more from ONE chapter of a history textbook than from RuneScape), but the examples provided were quite poor.

The two things I will partially agree with is that one, I did learn to type a lot faster thanks to RuneScape, but that can be applied to any online chat game. The other is the creative and imaginative aspects to RuneScape.

Probably the most important thing that you can learn from RuneScape is a new language if you decide to venture into the German worlds.

yah economics and typing are the biggest things that are learned in the world of runescape. Usually people that type properly in runescape are the people that already are familiar with the keyboard. But i do not think learning math or history is included because i always use calculators for math and history is pretty insignificant. LOL i was writing about something in 9th grade as a nub just starting runescape and it was about industrial revolution and i had to think about what was runescape and what was real life when talking about coal and iron........

runescape is not really meant to be an educational game but it sure is fun and addicting.

botan

StarViv.png

Firstly, don't complain about the rate of grammar and then say that there can be such thing as a mathematic. It's maths.

Back on-topic, I think this paragraph is highly flawed. Not even I, with my A Level and full marks in Mental Mathematics use my mind to work out how many times I need to do something to level up. Most, if not all, RS players use skill calculators, either here on Tip.It or other fansites. As for trading items, I've seen this comment countless times at Seers' Village:

"How much for 1K BS @ 180 ea?"

For starters, we don't use the term "maths" in the US, so that's not really a fair point of criticism :wink:

And in response to the second paragraph I quoted, naturally all of Errdoth's points don't apply to everyone. There are always going to be some people who don't fit stereotypes, and some who do. Yes, I use Tip.it's skill calculators on occasion, but I prefer to do the math myself to find out average experience per hour, rate of increase, etc.

Getting a little off the point here, but in general, most people these days are lazy and dependent. How often do you see someone standing in a bank saying, "Can someone take me to Seers?" I see them all the time. The reason for that is that they're too lazy to find a map and guide themselves. They want someone to do it for them. Same reason why people ask how much it will cost from 50-70 construction using oak planks. Why figure it out themselves if someone will do it for them?

Personally, I'm quite the opposite and rarely ask for help or advice. But it just goes back to my point saying that not everyone applies to Errdoth's statements. Some people do, maybe even the majorty. But there will always be people who don't.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

This article brings some arguements, first, I will become a primary and secondary teacher one day. Secondly, the whole math thing, most people on runescape do not use their thinking brains and their pencils, there's a thing called calculators. For skill calculators, tip.it already have it, so what's the point? It's already there for them.

Writing? My butt, maybe using your imagination, and those stories wont be acceptable in middle school and up, unless you're majoring in journalism or something or becoming a children's book writer.

I agree with the items used on runescape such as the battle axes, christmas crackers (in Chronic. of Narnia) helped a lot. and etc. however, items and such names as Saradomin, Guthix, mithril does not exist in the medieval ages (dont use those details in your history essays).

Lastly, most of the education system is based on the No Child Left Behind Act, most school focuses their studies on freaking continuous exams. Most schools blocks games, music stream, and other inapporiate stuff you cannot do online. So, if you try to confront the teacher with these excuses, they'll make a strong argument, and one common too: "Go to the A.P. or the proncipal's office." Likely, your parents would kick you off of runescape. :oops:

No, I do not want to become a member, I would never be one, I will never be a member.

Great article =D> , I really enjoined reading it, You're right, RuneScape taught us a lot of things, improving Math, some Medieval history, but to start with, it's a game, everybody enjoys it (well, the ones who play it) and it's something really cool to learn useful things from this game, even if Barrow Bros never existed :XD:

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

dont flame about my spelling and grammer plz :D dislexya i hate it! (so do most ppl that have it and are willing to type a story or something els... im not hating dislexia when im being creative in many ways :D)

without rs i wouldnt think about writing on english forums :D it took me 3 years... i didnt had experience in writing in enlish befor i started playing rs, first i just played and didnt talk and didnt understand it well... after a month or 3 i started talking with dutch ppl ingame, they helped me with quests and stuff like 100gp = 1k...

i remember the day i didnt understand what 1k was all about, so i asked for a full set iron 500k cuz i wanted to see what "k" was all about. but he didnt gave me 500k :| . asked my dutch mates what "k" was all about and they told me 100gp was 1k...

talking with english dudes was alot harder for me because i didnt had the experience yet... :lol: nearly 3 years later.... im one of the many active tippers! :thumbsup: i realy liked this forum because there is always someone online, and you can always talk about stuff you know mutch of, it doesnt have to be runescape, there is also off-topic and many many more.

i made my hobby of calculating stuff in and around runescape... like many ppl will know :D like the dragon full helm, i calculated the states but missed it on 2 points (higher states), also calculated that jagex gets more money from f2p adds then all p2pers pay (didnt calculate with server cost)

some friends call me a geek, nerd, whatever... (so i am... im playing checkers and chess) but it doesnt stop me from playing runescape and learn more about ppl, games, programing, pixeling, calculations and many many more... (all stuff i learned or got inspired by runescape)

gr. jwrm22!

EDIT:

i have 3 more smilies to spam with! :thumbsup: :twisted:

OK DONE :XD:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined