Tip.it Times Presents: Realistic Games? No thanks.

MPM

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, good read. I have always wondered why people go goo goo over graffics, even when the game blows. And tetris? Uh....dont ask, because that is one the world may never know. :-k

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

When talking to anyone who doesn't play runescape but has seen it once, the first thing they come up is this: "Do you play that game haha? The graphics are like nothing, you can count the actuall pixels!"

I mean yes, graphics are a reason to play a game, and sometimes I wished rs had a better engine for better graphics, but would that change the way I enjoy it? It might make more things possible, offering a wider variation of quests, miniquests and something like the GWD released recently.

But the reason I play rs is just for the fun (even though that's getting less now with the community getting less mature). Back when I started to play rs, about 4 years ago rs had something special already, no one cared about the graphics as back then most games weren't very high detailed as they are today. Back then most people wouldn't comment on the graphics of rs, but the game world changed, both in graphics and storylines, concerning graphics RS has been at a standstill forever, off course there were some improvements but it's getting nowhere close of what the 7gen consoles have to offer, what else can you expect from a browser based game?

What people - who don't play rs - should bear in mind is that you shouldn't play a game because the graphics are really great and a nice storyline. A game having only a nice storyline and/or offers many ways to play the game (lots of skills to train, various minigames etc. in this case) can give just as much please, or even more than a game that has a weak storyline but ok graphics.

It probably has to do with what some of us are used to play, but even when I'm playing games such as halo or medal of honor, I always reckon I enjoy it much more when I get behind my computer again and log onto runescape.

ResisttheNWO.png

ResisttheNWO.png

I like the artice, and although it is well written, I have to disagree with it.

You cant seriously tell me you wouldn't rather play

[hide=This game]halo3new07032.JPG

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

[hide=This game]DeviousMUD.gif

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

I know I would :| I prefer turn based, side scrolling games to games like halo and other things.

~M

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

I know I would :| I prefer turn based, side scrolling games to games like halo and other things.

Well it's your opinion. I guess if you strongly prefer role playing games over games such as Halo or other FPS games you may prefer DeviousMUD. But games with "Better than life graphics" make me feel much more connected to the game.

Very interesting article, I loved it. However, I think that games can look realistic and still be an escape from reality. How many of us are ever going to take down an elite terrorist cell(a generic fps, no game in mind)? And how many of us are ever going to get to drive a Ferrari at 200+ miles an hour on busy city streets? I think its very cool that games are beginning to look more and more realistic, it just makes it a better escape from reality!

The real reason of Tetris is to play it on your cell phone under your desk in French Class, duh.

I believe that graphics are the aspect of the game that brings people in, and then if the gameplay is good it will keep them in. Runescape doesn't attract people with it's graphic, but the gameplay and community (kind of) are so good that they stay inspite of it.

My 3 cents.

Cowmasta13.png

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

There's a reason DeviousMUD was never released to the public; because it sucked, and Andrew knew it.

I'd much rather play Runescape than Halo though. Every time I go online on that game I get sniped in like 30 seconds :roll:

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

The same goes for me.

For a while I actually ignored RuneScape 2 and played RSC instead because I simply didn't like all of the graphics in RS2, I was there for a game, not graphics.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

There was an article in Popular Science about this, it was talking about how when the graphics get "too" realistic, to the point where they are almost human, people tend to look for minor imperfections and mistakes, or something like that.

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

There was an article in Popular Science about this, it was talking about how when the graphics get "too" realistic, to the point where they are almost human, people tend to look for minor imperfections and mistakes, or something like that.

I've never seen (or heard of) Crysis. And it makes sense that they would do that. I mean, in runescape you're not going to say "That grass is too grainy!" when the grass is just a huge patch of green.

This article sounds like it was made for fanboys. Just play a game you enjoy, don't tell other people what >'s what.

If some people like good graphics, let them play those games, if some people like strategy, and could care less about graphics, then let them do as they will.

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

Good article, good point, but there was to spelling errors, spelled varrock as varrok, and said think instead of thing. Besides that, ti was good. :thumbsup:

Edit:yay, first page

This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

Enjoyed reading this article. Though I don't like all games to be realistic, I do enjoy a variety.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

The real reason of Tetris is to play it on your cell phone under your desk in French Class, duh.

Spoken like a true aglephone :-w

I agree completly with the letter, Gameplay > Graphics :D

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

halo3703.JPG[/hide]

over

DeviousMUD2.PNG[/hide]

Crysis > Halo

I've never seen (or heard of) Crysis. And it makes sense that they would do that. I mean, in runescape you're not going to say "That grass is too grainy!" when the grass is just a huge patch of green.

You never heard of Crysis? It's coming out to PC soon and even the biggest fans of other FPS games admit Crysis is far superior graphically. I can't really even explain how awesome the graphics are, and screenshots don't do the game justice, you need to see a full motion HD video. Anyway, let me put it this way.

-The game is sponsored by nVida (since you need about $2000 of their graphics cards to play the game)

-The game is sponsored by Windows (since it is the first real game to use Direct X 10, which means XP users have to buy Vista to play it)

-Essentially no PC in the world today can play the game at max quality. The makers predict that it will take two to three years until a store bought PC can play the game in it's highest quality.

Oh, and good article, never thought about Runescape like that before. :)

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Tetris is actually extremely fun the 64. :)

I don't care about graphics, nor do I care too much about gameplay, all I want is an escape from real life. Runescape allows me to play for 11 hours to two days, without even thinking of real life once. That's all that matters to me.

Better then real life graphics sound amazing, and if a storyline, a really good one, like Ocarina Of Time, or Twilight Princess(Zelda ftw \' ), then I'd play it, I think anyone would.

But amazing graphics look good to advertise your game, if the user plays it, and thinks the storyline is crap, all the user will do will mess around on the game for a few days, then totally forget about the game entirely.

RuneScape>Real Life (and Real Life Graphics)

No graphics aren't the reason we play the game, but I 'll tell you what...if this game was a single player offline game nobody would ever want to play it. It's more about the player interaction. Plus, considering runescape uses Java nobody even comes close using the same platform.

rssig2.png