Tip.it Times Presents: Co-op or Competitive?

MPM

Once again, the Times is out. Check out "Co-op or Competitive" and discuss it here.

I would like to remind you, in case you miss it at the bottom of the Times, we do accept letters to the editor in response to one of the articles. If you have a well written response, you may want to pm it to The_editor for a chance to have it published with the next batch of letters.

~M

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heart the Tip.It Times! <3:

The Letters To The Editor are nice and all, but nothing can measure up to the actual Tip.It Times article! :D

Too bad it isn't bi-monthly.. :cry:

EDIT: First post, froobs~ :XD:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

hm, i never really thought about co-op and competitive to be subject to arguement. i don't prefer any of them. i'm usually willing to play either of them, even though in halo 2, my friend always kills me. i could have sworn i've seen that did you know fact. i think it was last articles. let me check...

Edit: that did you know fact was the same one as in the Realistic Games article 2 weeks ago.

?r=191108

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Currently will be using my Oni Tsurugi account to attempt to get 99 on all free skills without spending any gp, just for the sake of doing so.

Good article, especially the last paragraph.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Very good read, I like how the editor used actual examples (with golden eye).

I always like a little competition but its also fun to work together as a team and feeling a sense of accomplishment.

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

This is an intersting article. The best one we've had for a while I'm pleased to say. :)

However, there is a key flaw in the whole PKing clan thing. Surely, a PKing clan is an example of a group of players actually doing both? They are in direct competition with another clan, whilst at the same time, being cooperative towards each other. That runs completely counter to what The Editor says about players leaning heavily to either side.

Apart from that incongruence, a really good article. I've actually been hoping the Wii would provide us with this kind of option again. I know certain games on the XBox allow you to form clans and battle each other, but that's been lacking on the Wii. I'm hoping one of Nintendo's more allied companies, like Namco or Hudson, will develop a game which incorporates that cooperative team-based element, as well as a direct competition element on Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. I'm thinking more of a Tales of Symphonia-style thing across the Internet. :D

Great read.

Very well written, it is true that Runescapers tend to be outcasts amoung the MMO community. And that PKers tend to be outcasts among the RS community. I think the main reason for this is that human nature is in and of itself hyper competitive. As a species or an individual the need to survive and beat the other guy is what keeps you from getting killed or knocked back. Of course there is no need to apply this to runescape, but its hard to over come 10,000 years of genetic programming.

triforceelf.png

Good article. It makes a nice point, although it isn't entirely accurate. It is nice to be the solo, one vs. all player in Runescape, but I also enjoy teaming in wildy and being a part of a community. From what I've seen, most people aren't heart-set on one or the other but bend from side to side. It's nice Runescape allows you to do this, letting you do one or the other and not be doomed to failure.

It is impossible to exaggerate the unimportance of almost everything.

I agree with the point previously made that clans are also working cooperatively, but I recognize the editor's point. For this reason, I'll not linger on this.

I like the points made by the author, particularly how the editor distinguishes the two 'types' of gaming style with anecdotes. However, I would like to point out that towards the end of the editorial, the editor takes the particularly foolish stance that debate (argument) isn't for the best.

The editor's contention that we should all just agree is false. The premise of a forum is different thoughts and opinions, and that's particularly emphasized here at TIF. There is nothing wrong with contending that one game is better than the other for reason X, it only becomes a problem when it breaks down to 'Omg joo r nub PKing is b3tt3r'--unintelligent debate. That last paragraph was really shocking coming from the editor, and I would suggest that he or she should revise/clarify his or her editorial if what was heard was not what he or she intended.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

Great article, although I do think most people tend to do both. I know that in RS, i like to just not fight, and when I do, I like to solo the boss monsters. Although with other games, I like everything, whether it be team, or just all out vs.

P.S. why don't we have editor articles every week??

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

I reckon a better contrast in FPS would have been CTF (capture the flag) gametype vs' DM (death match) game type. For those that don't know, in CTF you are a member of a team working together to capture the opposition's flag and bringing it to your base. In DM you are by yourself and usually the person with most kills wins.