Why is quitting Runescape so difficult?

eyehawk78

I have been playing RS for almost 5 years now, and in that time I have 'quit' Runescape twice, the first lasting 10 months, the second lasting 6 months.

Many other people seem to have this problem, they quit Runescape and within a few months there back playing again. I have even noticed a few posts on 'X is leaving Runescape' topics where people have posted 'No-one quits Runescape, they all come back eventually'.

Which got me wondering, what makes Runescape so difficult to actually never play again?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people who use Forums other then the Official forums come back because of the awesome communities. Also, the game is very fun at high a level, and it's impossible to beat.

~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~

dragonrebornkr1.jpg

I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.

adictive, to many possibleites and people

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Simple just don't leave rs :-w

tbh its the most addictive game ive ever played and i just can't stop playing even when i get ultra laggy i try and play the game #-o

enjin-197880-13470529531124777514-gray.png

Ex-Wilderness Guardian

Ex-Solace

Retired from F2P clans indefinitely

because unlike some other games you dont get only an update a year.

As far as I know Runescape is the only MMORPG updated weekly :)

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

It is kinda funny to think about yes.

My friend has tried to quit 3 times.

After a few months he gets bored and start playing again. :P

I try saying to him "Once you start playing there is a little chance of quiting"

My other friends also try to quit by starting to play different games but soon come back to runescape.

I have never tried to quit soo i am not sure what feeling you get.

The people with enough will power quit but it takes alot.

Go runescape :XD:

You will probably quit when you find it extremely boring and when you don't have time to sit about playing games all day. Also when you realise there is so much better things to waste your time on :)

Don't think I've properly played in about 2 years.

sig2ho7.jpg

I think it's because of the possiblities, to be 'beat the game' is really hard. Most games there is a final boss and stuff but in runescape with skills they keep going to 200mil xp. So that's alot of time, there is also the discontinued items that everyone wants and you can never have enough. The people in runescape and forums are great people from all around the world so it's great to meet new pplz. There are tons of factors why people become addicted and can't quit.

Anyway, that's my view

chelseakb8.jpg

Thanks Lil_Atza for the sig!

I'll probably never quit RS because I'm too cheap to buy a console machine for gaming nor a new computer just so I have a new graphics card to play the latest game.

On occassion, I still play the old-school-styled point-and-click adventure games from Adventure Games Studio (http://www.bigbluecup.com) which are all games made by very talented people but are non-professionals in the sense that they are not creating games for a living. (that's one huge sentence!) So, since RS is one of the few games that are well developed and have very low system requirements to run decently, I don't think I'll be switching away from it any time soon.

If I ever do quit, I'll donate all my member stuff to friends and move back onto the free-worlds, as frightening a thought that may be to me. (:ohnoes: free-worlds and the horde of noobs)

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

I quit, dropped all my stuff for my friends and cancelled my membership. Three days later I was back with a new character. Heh.

It is an addictive game, at least for me. If my Dad would let me I would be back to playing on Sir Hartlar with membership. Cutting down your playing time is HARD, even with only the free aspects of the game. :x

^ Obviously not fully, since you still browse rs forums...

But yeah, I quit for about a year, but not by choice., then got my account back!

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

1 word

adiction :-w

1135127668459c038738feavy8.gif

capeachievestrks8.gif<>26 april 2007

*ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè)

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ*ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâôÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè) ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ*ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâè)

(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃââÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâô (ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâø.ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãââ*RaceThunder

^ Obviously not fully, since you still browse rs forums...

Ehh no. I still like to browse the rs sections of the boards because sometimes you can find a decent discussion. It doesn't mean I play(or want to play) the game.

Addicted to the forum here != addicted to rs.

sig2ho7.jpg

i agree no 1 quits rs they take "long breaks" mabye a few months the only people ive seen quite are people who had high lv accts that got perm banned...

i mean even perm mutes dont quite the game is to addicting

James_scholl.gif

Goals and achievements, same reason you don't "quit" real life either

Then again, there's quite a bunch of people who never really start real life.

I'm not sure what makes people come back, I quit at the beginning of March 2005 and came back on September 2006 since I had nothing much to do and well, still playing it seems.

Because we spend sooo much time developing our skills. You don't just walk away from something you spend months or years of your life developing.

Took the words write out of my brain. *examins brain, notices that a chunk of it is missing*

therealdealseelmealbugyn3.png

We tried using an abyssal whip to 'suggest' they work faster