Who's the winner?

Soma2035

Although you often here griping about how rare party hats, santa hats, and halloween masks are, there are probably many more of them than most people expect. I'm inclined to estimate that there are well over ten thousand santa hats, and at least several thousand of each mask and party hat that are "active". By that, I mean the account whom which the item currently resides on has been online within the past 6 months.

I know many people on Tip.It forums have these so called "rares". I myself purchased several a very long time ago when they were "affordable".

Although I don't post a lot on these forums, I've heard of many people having accidentally cast high level alchemy on their prized hats or losing their valuable masks to a random event when lag strikes, or losing it to their friend who asked to borrow it.

Now here's my question. I've managed to hold onto my rares this entire time only through paranoia. I rarely wear them, and stick them back in the bank as soon as possible. Whenever I high alchemy anything, I ensure everything of value is tucked away safely in my bank.

Others wear their rare items, while alching, while talking to friends, training skills. However, it seems these people are doomed to lose them to small "accidents", lag, random events, glitches, etc.

So who's the actual "winner"? Is it the one who keeps his treasure hidden forever in fear of losing it? Or the one who actually enjoys it, but eventually loses it?

If you have a rare item, are you as protective of your rare items as I am? Or do you lend it to friends, wear it while training non combat skills, use it as part of your regular costume to "show off" the fruit of your efforts, knowing full well that the worst could, and very likely would happen?

This is something that has been on my mind for a while now. So please, if you have a rare, share your experience with this issue. If you don't have a rare, it still would be nice to hear what you would/would not do if you ever got one, and what attitude you would hold towards each "method" of owning a rare item.

And finally, if you're someone who only wants to post "OMG rare's are noobish they should be deleted and the owners banned", please, save it for the rants forum.

I have a semi-rare, I got it by pking thats why I have it.

I really think rare's are stupid. But not in the way you may think. I think rares need to stay in runescape, and should never be deleted by jagex, but they should eventually be digitally be deleted by the owners own doing.

I think spending so much money on any kind of rare is very idiotic, unless you've gotten every skill to 99, and you've completed every quest, and have at least 300mill+ after buying this rare.

The reason why is only then will you enjoy it to its fullest extent. Not afraid to lose it, nor too happy with it, to actually lose it.

Although i have not owned my rare(santa) for very long, only about 2 days, i usually take precautions when i am wearing, for example having a house tele tab when i wear. 1 click tele to my house in case of emergancy. and i take it off and put in bank when i log out in case of hackers. so i plan to hold on to it for a while yet, hopefully ::'

soldersig.jpg

well i myself had one of these "accidents" was wearing santa while training hunter (completely safe). then i went to train rcing through abyss, and totally forgot to check that it was in bank. monsters in abyss got me, and i noticed that red hat on my head as my character fell dead. goodbye 20 mil. but i think real winners are those who know when it's the right time and wrong time to wear their rare

8,539th to 99 cooking!!! Achieved January 17, 2007, one day before I turned 16!

dragonmsanta,benoit4whc.gif

After I bought my phat, I wore it all the time when training non-combat skills. If you have the money, why not show off? After all, my ring of life was always there to save me.

I lost a green mask once, but that was when I was still F2P :lol:

My green mask just sits in the top row of my bank gathering dust. I hardly wear it, I don't incorporate it into any outfits, NEVER wear it when training, after having it scammed once for a while never lend it to anyone. I keep it there because it is like my rock financially. I know if I quit and came back in 2 years it would have risen. And if I ever want to 'buy' a 99 I can always sell it.

sigdu0.gif

Quit RS to play real games. :P Bye TIF, miss you.

Want to show off your money but are too scared of losing it eh? Then I reckon you should just sell the rare, and buy 99 Construction and show off with that rare cape (which so far I've only seen 2 people with).

Not only will you only loose 99k if you ever die with the cape, but you've got a very sought after level 99. :wink:

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

I haven't taken my red mask out of my bank for such a long time that it has now moved up onto my first bank page. The only reason I have ever possessed rares is to benefit from their raising values. However, since they haven't risen for around a year, I might start the selling.

I'm a mix of the two.

I wear my green mask alot, meaning I have alot of a chance to lose it because of a random, etc. However, I won't wear it when I know I'm doing something inherently dangerous, or during a time that I am lagging, etc.

I try to enjoy my rare as much as possible, but at the same time I'm very afraid of losing it.

And that's why I don't alch while wearing a rare.

>_>

siggiebw2.png

Noted raw mackerel drop... Wtfh?

Always buying: Watermelon seeds, 2K each. Strawberry seeds, 800 each. Contact Via PM on forums.

Want to show off your money but are too scared of losing it eh? Then I reckon you should just sell the rare, and buy 99 Construction and show off with that rare cape (which so far I've only seen 2 people with).

Not only will you only loose 99k if you ever die with the cape, but you've got a very sought after level 99. :wink:

=D>

The only point of a rare is just either to show off, or to keep till it increases in value. There isn't a "winner" per say, since it's just opinion, not fact. So nothings wrong, or right. There are upsides to each one. If you wear a rare, you might become a target for a hacker/scammer. If no one knows you have it, it's safe in your bank.

Rares are rare because autoers auto, and multiple login make 600mil in a month, buy 30 santas, and get banned the next week. We loose at least 30 santas a month from this. Infact I know of a certain glitch that makes 25+mil an hour that is macroed by a ton of people. I have no idea how it works though... At that rate, if the macro is running 24/7, they could get 210 santas in a week. That means 840 santas a month. Per person. At that rate they could drain the economy of all santas in a month with only 10 people. Then they get banned, and there goes all the santas in runescape.

Anyway, many people have rares, not only as an investment, but as an item to show off.

The only rare i got is a Santa hat, and i bought it as a invesment, since im ftp atm, why keeping dragon/guthans/other members items in your ftp bank..i however will sell the santa on my first members day (1 or 2 august)

~ColossuS~

- I'm not proud of everything I've done, but I have no regrets

15nu9u1.png

I would show off my party hat like hell if I had one. No doubt about that.

I see no fun in having a very valuable and respected item if no one can see, that you actually own one. It needs to be shown off - not just collecting dirt in your bank.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

Infact I know of a certain glitch that makes 25+mil an hour that is macroed by a ton of people.

Is it the one from BA? Infinite runes, and this glitch is still working. Gj Jagex =D>

I wear it ALL the time while skilling walking around and such but almost never in combat. :-$

I wore it to Ape Atoll once which was the most dangerous.

But I always bank it before logging off. I always log out before going to bath room while i wear it. I always turn my speakers up to listen to random on forums.

I'm so so when it comes to rares i love it but maybe because i have 2 santas i don't worry that much. :-k But i'd probably quit if i lost it.

So I'd say you lose badly because you never wear it whats the purpose of buying a [/u]wearable rare if your not going to wear it!

Rares are ownage btw!

I plan on keeping it as long as i play.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I have a few hats, I wear them maybe one percent of the time i'm on. I don't really care to wear them because most of the time I'm on, I do things that can get me killed. Even if I was skilling i'd prefer not to wear it, it brings too many unwanted attention from other players ie "How much is your phat?" "Can I see your hat in a trade?"

Kaizoku

the winners are the people that got them on there drop date. then sold them somewhere in this present time for 100's of mils :P

but its dumb to hide rares that can be worn, why buy bling if you dont want to shine?

rares that can be drank or ate, should always be taken out as a note or stay tucked away in the bank.

I have a santa and a red mask, but as I'm a 10hp pure, they're always in my bank. I am currently spending 30mil on construction (Sold my green mask), and this will get me 85.. Then I need to sell my santa and mask off to get 99. I probably will, as I know I will lose them eventually, however I am trying to keep hold of them as I know they will go up in price.

sigforrooneyxu0.jpg

ÃÆââââ¬Ã¢Ã¢ââ¬Ã