Is your Gameplay on memory?

Leoo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very very much doubt it. There are over 5 million accounts on Runescape so the sheer size of the data storage required to store all this would be immense. Probably near impossible (at this time).

They probably only store in game report abuse snapshots. Which are 60 second 'snapshots' of the previous gameplay.

Eye

EDIT: You should probably wait more than 5 minutes for a reply. lol. This was still top when I came to post

The servers keep at least 1 minute of ALL activity in memory, and I suspect even more than that. Proboly closer to 5 minutes, that way Jagex can take a look around the worlds and what has been going on in various places within the last few minutes without logging on and using a mod account to cheack things out in person. They would need immense data storgae to keep a video account of everything each player dose of even to keep an hour long mono-view of an entire world (ie only recods from a single view point)

How does Jagex distinguish between gift giving and real world trading? Do they distinguish between the two?

I think they do.I believe they track the suspected transactions outside of RS (eBay etc..) and then try to detect it happening on game.

I suspect the answer to some degree is yes.

We've unfortunately just had to permanently ban 80 players for bug abuse. In this case for taking advantage of a bug which made it possible to get a certain quest reward repeatedly rather than just once.

We would like to remind everyone that we will not tolerate players who abuse bugs in RuneScape, and serious abusers will always be banned. If you are in any doubt on our rules, please take the time to review them again.

These days we produce detailed logs of all activity on RuneScape, so even if someone abuses a bug we don't yet know about, when we DO find out about (and we will), then we'll check back through our historical logs and ban them anyway. It's just not possible to get away with this abuse anymore.

It pains us greatly to lose 80 members in this way, and we just can't believe that 80 players have just chosen to throw away hours of work, by deliberately abusing a bug! There was no chance of getting away with it. Why did you do it?

So please do not risk your account in this way. If you do find a bug in RuneScape, the right action is to immediately report it through our bug report form in the customer support section of the website, and then to avoid doing it again.

Finally we would like to reassure our users that we are very, very careful not to ban people who have only gained from a bug accidentally. The players we just banned were all players who abused the bug repeatedly, many over 100 times in order to try and gain an unfair advantage. Players who reported the bug to us were given more leeway, although even if you report it that doesn't give you excuse to then go and use it repeatedly until it's fixed.

Be safe, and dont abuse bugs you find. Report them immediately!

"27 July 2004 - Please report bugs you find!" would certainly suggest that they do.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

How does Jagex distinguish between gift giving and real world trading? Do they distinguish between the two?

I think they purposely leave the big sellers unbanned just to watch them and ban everybody that gets cash/items from them, but that's just my thought.

lalalasig2.png

Dont give gifts...or if you really want to then do this.

Hey do you want to buy my phat?

yes i do.

offer a price please

umm 400k?

Oh umm sure.

Transaction completed. A phat has been given as a gift.

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

The servers keep at least 1 minute of ALL activity in memory, and I suspect even more than that. Proboly closer to 5 minutes, that way Jagex can take a look around the worlds and what has been going on in various places within the last few minutes without logging on and using a mod account to cheack things out in person. They would need immense data storgae to keep a video account of everything each player dose of even to keep an hour long mono-view of an entire world (ie only recods from a single view point)

They do not have to store it as video. They could store the location of all objects in the area and render it when they view it.

I think they purposely leave the big sellers unbanned just to watch them and ban everybody that gets cash/items from them, but that's just my thought.

That's what I thought.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

That's dumb. If they banned the 'big sellers' right away, they would eliminate the root of the problem and wouldn't have to ban not-quite-as-guilty people who try to buy their stuff. It's not like autoers or goldfarmers have an underground network that can be detected through one person anyway.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

They can't, all they can do is try their best to know what your doing. Thats why lots of people got banned unfairly. I do recall that one great staker on RSC had an achievment blog that he kept and updated with his stakes and goals and such. One day he said something like "I was having a great day staking... It was my friends b-day so i gave him some of my winnings (like a pumkin and some other things I can't remember). Then later that day I was banned for Real life trading."

I would get the topic that had all the info on it, but RSC had their achievments board wiped awile ago and the topic got delieted. <.<

Ontopic: I think that they have backup system that takes all the memory of people every once and awile. Thats for when we have roll-backs for glitches and things.

That's dumb. If they banned the 'big sellers' right away, they would eliminate the root of the problem and wouldn't have to ban not-quite-as-guilty people who try to buy their stuff. It's not like autoers or goldfarmers have an underground network that can be detected through one person anyway.

No they track big sellers... you are no less guilty buying farmed gold then if you farmed if yourself... take away the demand and there won't be a supply

jfkmk3.jpg

New sigzor^^

They store information every 15 minutes of EVERYONE

But they have special alerts for large summons of money traded and such.

They probably monitor chat once in awhile

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012