1 October 2007 - Behind the Scenes - October

bored321

Buying from shop:

UP:

Fastest method of getting the runes

DOWN:

Most expensive way to get these runes.

Where are you getting the idea that there will now be a "buy x" option at stores.

If this was in one of the articles released by jagex then i'm sorry but please do quote it for me.

No one has hinted towards a "buy-x" option in shops, and I personally very much doubt this will be added. It is however still much faster to rapidly click "buy-10 Death Runes" than it is to make them, I don't think anyone can deny that.

12Pure34 explained it perfectly well in the concluding paragraph on how player rune prices will never reach the shop price as I said. I think I might just make a topic on this whole price debate just so people know where the information is.

If there is no buy-x option buying from stores is definitely not faster than buying from players. Why do you think autoers exist now? They buy runes cheap from stores and sell in mass amounts to players in trades for a slightly higher price.

If there is no buy-x option 12pure34's last 2 scenarios are pretty much false.

LordFan21.pngHilordfan.jpgZ0mg look im so kool even mods tok to me.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, QA's involvement was both before and after the coding was done. "Mod Tim had done a search through the code, but we had to go through them all to see which ones were duplicates, what the shops were called, note where they were in the code, any requirements to use them... There were 362 calls to the shop code, 298 of them for unique shops," says QA's Mod Rathe. He continues: "We then checked any stock in those shops that would cause problems for the economy, if they were made available in infinite quantities, and researched what the prices should be for the rest. One of the main things was runes: runes had to be infinite, but priced sensibly so we didn't destroy Runecrafting or detriment merchants."

Looks like runes are going to be infinite, so the good news, the flaming bots are no longer able to buy the shop out, the bad news is that runes are probably going to be more expensive, though at least you'll be able to buy them.

Chaos & death runes do have a balance problem in F2P, as making them yourself is not an option, leaving the store or runecrafting members as the only source apart from unreliable drops.

A better option would have been to deal with store hoggers, with perhaps an "angry shopkeeper" random, maybe stacking objects where told to (based on the mats in Drill Demon), or "catch the shoplifter" (based on evil twin).

At last, a month without major updates... two thumbs up for that one.

im waiting also to see the shop update, cant really imagine how it will stop bots... has any1 seen a bot mass-buying hammers?? infinite amount of runes or feathers sounds kinda unrealistic...

guess we'll wait and see

How about infinite Water filled Vials in ardy? Hehe that would be the only decent thing this month for me (if they didnt raise its price alot). TBH i was really expecting a good month after that 2-3 week break last month... <.<

Infinite battlestaffs in mage guild \' :thumbsup: :pray:

I'm not sure i've ever "OMGed" in real life about a runescape update.

I just did.

YES!@@#O*)(*!)(*!&~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i really hope that's the case!!!)

I honestly don't know why anyone thinks this update will do anything towards stopping the bots. Wake-up call: they own an oligopoly on the runestone business, so if Jagex raises the shop price, the bots will just raise their prices. In the end, we the players lose big time and the bots profit heavily, JUST LIKE WITH PURE ESSENCE. Jagex is daft.

td2sig.jpg

91 rcers are already jacking off over this update because now they'll have a reason to raise their prices.

Well, I bet this update will hurt fletching to help RC and I'm not sure how it will affect herblore (though I expect I know what one of the future bugs is going to be, because I know history has a tendency to repeat itself, which makes me happy because I am about to own a 99 skill in a day or so if it does).

I forsee two bugs already going to happen that will make some people immensely rich while others have no idea how it happened.

What fun!

Edit: yay no more price gouging on wf vials

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

Infinite battlestaffs in mage guild \' :thumbsup: :pray:

I'm not sure i've ever "OMGed" in real life about a runescape update.

I just did.

YES!@@#O*)(*!)(*!&~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i really hope that's the case!!!)

+ Infinity. I'll craft soo much more if this happens! :thumbsup:

But I'll just keep wcing.

1st - I don't think the update will include Runes with the infinity amounts. If they did they have basically ruin crafting and most companies.

2nd - If they stupidly did, then the prices would probably be at least 25% then street prices as they will "tweaked" the prices.

Jagex officially said "key items", I would assume this means Basic Items. (Tinderbox, Buckets and Pots for example).

They don't have to ruin something that is ruining something.

(Ruining Runecrafting to stop Bots ruining stores of RuneScape).

We'll have to wait and see...

From the Development Diary:

We want our players to be free to enjoy RuneScape however they wish, as long as it doesn't stop other players from enjoying themselves too. Mod Mark clarifies this: "A small number of players would stay at shops for a long time just buying goods, which they would then sell on to other players for a profit." He continues with, "Collecting goods using skills can take time, so shops were originally intended as a quick but expensive alternative, but it has in fact become a slow, expensive alternative in some cases, say when a shop's entire stock has already been bought out." With access to infinite stocks, players can have that faster, expensive option of getting the items they need, so they can spend more time killing dragons or PKing than standing around in a shop, something which is not exactly fun.

We are not talking solely about tinderboxes, buckets and pots here.

Mod Mark says, "There will be some players that feel the Shop Rework update is just us wanting to take away their source of gold pieces, however, it is simply that shops were not filling their intended role in the game.

Who makes money off of merchanting tinderboxes, buckets and pots? Show of hands, please?

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

I honestly don't know why anyone thinks this update will do anything towards stopping the bots. Wake-up call: they own an oligopoly on the runestone business, so if Jagex raises the shop price, the bots will just raise their prices. In the end, we the players lose big time and the bots profit heavily, JUST LIKE WITH PURE ESSENCE. Jagex is daft.

How the hell do you figure that? With unlimited runes available all at once for a set price, where does your logic that people will pay more than that price for runes come from?

I am looking forward to seeing how the Shop Improvement plays out.

Infinite stock of nature runes at the stores? Let's cross our fingers... :pray:

Buying non-stackable objects as notes... Dare I hope :pray:

Selling more than 10 items at a time to the store? Gawd I hope so... :pray:

i agree it would be nice

Hephaestos8.gif

Hmm, this will be interesting...

I wonder what will happen to the price of runes due to this update.

Also, with people who have thousands and thousands of one particular item, like tiaras, this thing might help if it is sell x. Maybe hammers will be in unlimited stock. That would be awsome.

tfssig.png

First of all, am I the only one who thinks an infinite stock will only help the bots? Maybe I don't understand how it works...but it seems to me that the bots will just be able to buy runes at a faster rate. Maybe they are saying it will kill bots because you won't need to buy from them anymore because buying from stores will be easier...but then won't that hurt RC?

Bots will be able to buy infinite runes at lets say Xgp ea. However for that to be a worthwhile endeavour for them, they need to then be able to on-sell those runes to players at a profit, say X + Y% ea. However, since players will also be able to purchase infinite runes at the same price the bots get them for (X), they won't buy them from the bots at (X + Y%).

What it will do, is set firm upper limits on the price of bulk runes. Which may or may not affect runecrafting for profit depending on what those limits are.

siganizq4.gif

Um..no one actually thinks that...it's to benefit players who want to buy items from shops who can't..because of autoers. Jagex is making shops what they designed them for. They should obviously be sorry for...well, doing what they originally wanted.

Or... you could buy from the shops for the same, set-in-stone amounts that the bots have to pay for them.

The only people who should be complaining about this update are botters.

siganizq4.gif

Or... you could buy from the shops for the same, set-in-stone amounts that the bots have to pay for them.

Unless they add further options than "Buy 10" (such as Buy 100 or doubtfully, Buy X) then this really solves nothing. I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit in a shop buying 20k cosmics or chaos 10 at a time.

td2sig.jpg

Unless they add further options than "Buy 10" (such as Buy 100 or doubtfully, Buy X) then this really solves nothing. I don't know about you, but I don't want to sit in a shop buying 20k cosmics or chaos 10 at a time.

i dont like it, but i do it. also, jagex said its meant to be an expensive alternative ? uh, its cheaper then buying runes for 20 ea, and personally i dont craft my own low lvl runes.. why would i? thats just gay.