Runescape on Wii?

Yohbilleh

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makoto has covered this topic quite well, so I'll just add a little detail

No Java support exists in Wii Opera because having a JavaVM would take considerable resources that the Wii just doesn't have. From what I've seen of Runescape, Flash or Javascript (w/ the canvas tag) could approximate the interface with a little work.
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/to ... ?id=193835

There is some light at the end of the tunnel through, the willboard is out, and there are currently projects to port linux to the wii. If and when that project is complete, adding java is would a simple extra step for them.

http://www.wiili.org/

http://www.wiili.org/forum/java-on-wii-t1365.html

"We're still working on getting code to execute on the wii in general. Once that's done, supporting java should be a trivial matter"

In addition, there might exist a miracle in which Nintendo update Opera for the next build!

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Andrew made an announcment about this ages ago (Here), which lists some of the problems that it would have.

However, from what I can tell, that's not refering to using RS through the internet channel, rather making a slightly new version of RS for the Wii itself. Doing it through the internet channel is theoretically possible if the memory is increased (easily done currently through SD cards). The main problem that I can see is how the Wii browser works - you can only type text when the keyboard thing comes up, even with the new USB keyboard support. It would be possible to play as it is, but you'd have to sacrifice being able to talk.

Well that's my thoughts on it anyway. The only way to be able to talk would be to split the game up into two frames, one for clicking and one for typing, which would allow you to select different frames and type/click away. Seems overly complex for something that would benefit not very many people.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

You can already play World of Warcraft on Wii

Check out this Youtube Video for proof

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jkX1oQsvNe0

Did you even read the Description of the video?

It states they are using a Mac, not wii and are just using the Wiimote as a Mouse.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I'd say its not too far fetched.

Sure i doubt runescape will come out specifically for consoles.

But PS3, Wii and X-Box all have internet connectivity and slowly developing web browsers on them.

It's only a matter of time before these console based browsers gain java compatibility then they can load rs the same way as a pc can.

Thought i imagine getting your clicks aimed right with a wii remote would be hard

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's a Perfectly Plausible Possibility. I don't actually think that anybody needs to do anything apart from Nintendo, so they update the Wii for Java Support. If it's a bit more complex, Java will need to get involved. But Jagex just need to sit back and relax. :-w

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Lets review, You can post on these Forums with the Wii, with this USB Keyboard update, it would make typing in stuff on Wii games (E.G Twilight Princess, entering your name) would become a few seconds. I think seeing Java on the Wii would be a good idea, if this does happen, well, I would spend alot more time on the Wii. <3:

Phaper_Plane.png

Java is also on a path to opensource (pending replacements for a few components which cannot be open sourced). This makes cross-compiling for other platforms a point which may not even need to involve Sun.

I'm guessing that "platform X gets java" is a more likely propostion than "Runscape non-Java", since they are the JAVA Gaming Experts, after all.

One of the "unique selling points" of RS, is that it can "load and go" in a Java-supporting browser, and the platforms which lack Java tend not to have a fully functional Flash either.

Look, Java wont waste their time investing their programs onto the Wii, or anything else for that matter. Reason being is that in another year or 2 another console will come out and the Wii will be old. Thus, making their 1/2 years meaningless. :|

Java itself is a cross-compatible platform. It can go anywhere that can download the JVM, the Java Virtual Machine.

Since the Wii does not have a big enough harddrive that you can save things to, you'll not see it on the Wii anytime soon (also for thereasons that Makoto mentioned) .

hzvjpwS.gif

not going to happen..dude runescape is for p.c. and p.c. only

and people don't make a thread saying "runescape on PS3" its not going to happen..

end of my story

he means that if u pay 5 bucks and the get the browser thing for the wii, and nintendo has it so java can run, it would be the case that u could do that.

And yes, it's true you can...but it won't be for a while.

Whats wrong with playing RuneScape on a PC or Mac?

RS constantly uses the mouse so even if they did make it possible for Wii, there would be so many complaints saying that its pointless as you'd have to consistently be pointing the Wii remote at the TV.

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

I tried it on my nephews Wii when they had just come out. I managed to get on the website, but then the game window just loaded with a white screen, and stayed that way.

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered

I tried it on my nephews Wii when they had just come out. I managed to get on the website, but then the game window just loaded with a white screen, and stayed that way.

Yes, that is due to the Wii Opera Internet Browser not supporting Java.