What Are YOUR Views On 99 Fletching And Cooking?

Well, i am 99 cooking and 99 fletching, and the amount of abuse i get from people is unbelieveable, why does no-one respect it?

after all, it still takes a good month or 2 between 70-99, ok so all you do is stand there and fletch or cook but at the end of the day who cares? its still two 99's right? so not only do you get a sexy trimmed cape but lots of total levels with it.

not only this but they are AFK skills, so you can do your homework or play on your games console at the same time or something, i think its very good mmkay?

they are very easy to get, i understand where the abusers are coming from, but at the end of the day? stop flaming and go get it yourself, its another 2 capes right?

so your thoughts about 99 cookers and fletchers?

NO SPEM PLAZ

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a 99 in a 99, no matter what. Sure they are easier, less expensive, less time consuming, etc, but they still take a great deal of work to get to 99. all 99's have the same amount of exp. I think they are all equal, but some are just harder to get.

The abuse you get i bet is from people who don't have 99's in that, or are ignorant.

they are easier, no doubt, but they are a 99.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Simply because they are 2 of the easiest to get.

Maybe they are jealous :D

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

I think this goes back to a basic philosophical point. I think that we humans naturally do not respect instrumentalism. Instrumentalism is doing something, not for its own sake, but to get something else. We like the ball player who plays "for the love of the game." We despise the guy who's "only in it for the money." The same idea bleeds into Runescape. We respect those who play the game because they enjoy the game. If they get a cape along the way, so much the better. We do not naturally respect someone who spends thousands of hours fletching, not because they love fletching, but only because they want a cape, which has nothing to do with fletching.

Other skills don't suffer from this taint. Nobody does slayer just to get a cape. If you want a cape, there are easier ways to do it, e.g., cooking and fletching. So if somebody has a slayer cape, you think, wow, there's a guy who is really dedicated to slayer. You respect that. If you see a guy with a fletching cape, you say, there's a guy who was intent on getting a cape. Somehow, that seems less worthy of respect.

Btw, is there an easy way to find out how many of each cape are held?

punitivedsig.png

A 99 is NOT a 99.

People rate achievement capes for how hard to get or rare they are, as well as what they look like and their emotes are. And if you think about it, both these skills need a little bit money to start with, have very high experience rates and you can make some money training them. On top of all that, they are two of the least rare skill capes in runescape. So they are easy to get, common, and even look quite bad compared to all other skill capes.

As for the primary reason- the flood of 99s in those skills started at the point jagex released achievement capes- every newbie takes the easy way out and gets two of the easiest skills to max, just to get the rubbish cape.

Now the question should be, Why should we respect people that have taken the easiest route to their goal?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Recently I have taken to wearing my fletching cape over my woodcutting cape, just to see the general impression of people who only see the 99 and not the other stats, I still get the occasional "nice stats" when people see if I have the other easy 99s, but I still think that people shouldn't judge you on your skill choice, when I started cooking and fletching I loved the skills, if I disliked them then I wouldn't do them.

Well, personally, I'm going for the Fletching Cape because I like fletching.

I find it very calming and relaxing. I don't have to click like a madman and I can talk with my friends and browse the Forums as I do the skill.

I know alot of people have a Fletching Cape, but I'm not getting it for the cape.

Infact, I don't even really think of the cape when I fletch, I fletch because I want it, not for the cape.

So to me, the cape is more of a by-product of getting 99 Fletching.

Barrow Drops: Guthan's Helm, Karil's Crossbow.

5 Pieces of the Crystal Key so far.

I would never consider meeting people irl. Not just because of risks that they could be a 40 year old man who is only interested in the bottom half of your body.

Well Cooking, it's just lame Cook "x"..

Fletching was at least a little bit respectable since you had to do a massive amount of clicking to 99..

But now String "x" it's ruined.. I'm glad to have gotten 99 fletching before the string x option ::'

Iv Green vI.png

hawtzo5.png

Alright, I'm going to repost.

Cooking and Fletching: A buyable skill, an 'x' skill, and a frowned upon skill. Why? Jagex thinks that the skills that people either 'don't use much' or 'people waste too much time on' thus, Jagex make the skills easier.

They're frowned upon because they're too easy. The people that dishonour the amount of time taken to get them are ungrateful idiots. A skillcape is a skillcape. They are technically all hard to get.

Especially firemaking. The emote forking rawks! <3:

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Theyre under appreciated and im sick of people insulting them, the time spent on such a repetitive skill is aweful! People need to appreciate the difficulty of these skills.

Any level can be raised quickly with the correct resources; so that isnt an excuse.

I would love to see you burn 100k+ logs to get 99 fm

You never will see that. As I said before, I don't enjoy grinding. (Really, who does?) Moreover, I'm not willing to grind just to get a cape (altough many do). Even if I were willing to do that, I would not pretend to "enjoy" burning 100k logs so that I could garner some "respect" for my "accomplishment."

punitivedsig.png

I don't mind them as a "warm up" or "first 99" but I don't like it when people make it their final goal. Or just use them as a way to be part of the "skillcape owners". There's nothing exceptional about these capes due to their numbers and the motives of the people going for them.

I'm also not a huge fan of the "all 99 skills are achievements" idea. 2 weeks spent on an afk skill is not even close to the months of patience and determination needed for some of the hard skills. There are plenty of achievements that are not 99s that surpass 99 fletching/cooking. We know for a fact that some skills are easier than others therefore, some 99s are much harder than others and all the achievements are most certainly not equal.

The irony of the situation is that many people go for 99 fletching/cooking for bragging rights or for pride. However those two capes are so widespread that there is really not that much pride attributed to them. In fact people are more often insulted for choosing the easiest 99 capes. In my eyes, these skillcapes are not admirable and it is does not represent incredible determination or patience. It represents "the easy way out". Nothing impressive.

I do not really have much respect for people who choose the two dead easiest skills and then proclaim themselves "proud owner of cooking/fletching cape". That's effectively saying "proud to be in the top 20k players". It just doesn't make me feel impressed when someone has gone for a cape that I see so often.

I can understand if someone has gone for 99 cooking/fletching as a "warm up" since the first 99 is usually the hardest and I can understand that from a strategic point of view. As long as the person has some goals in other skills past 99 fletching/cooking (and if their other skill is something actually challenging) I can respect them and their choices.

Some of you have mentioned jealousy as a reason behind the criticism, that makes sense, and I don't think people should be so openly rude just because they feel insecure themselves. However that jealousy only applies for people who have no skillcapes. Not for people who already have 99s in skills that greatly surpass 99 fletching/cooking.

Now, in response directly to the author of the thread

after all, it still takes a good month or 2 between 70-99, ok so all you do is stand there and fletch or cook but at the end of the day who cares? its still two 99's right? so not only do you get a sexy trimmed cape but lots of total levels with it.

This is a blatant exaggeration of the facts. It takes 2 weeks or so to get 70-99 cooking/fletching not 2 months. Big difference. Cooking and fletching simply do not require a great amount of work compared to other skills.

Also, you ask who cares if it's easy to get? well that's the point! They have little respect because they are so easy to get.

The idea that they are "still two 99s" implies that they are just like the other skills. That's not at all the case, they are far easier than some of the skills out their so no, in fact, they are not "still two 99s". And by "sexy trimmed cape" you should say "a sexy cape just like the 20k other people who have them". Their looks are a matter of taste, their "rarity" is a matter of numbers and they are most certainly not rare.

not only this but they are AFK skills, so you can do your homework or play on your games console at the same time or something, i think its very good mmkay?

"good", in this case means "easy". We know for a fact that, the easier a goal is to achieve, the less admirable it will be. Therefore, since you point out just how easy these skills are to get you are effectively pointing out how un-admirable they are.

they are very easy to get, i understand where the abusers are coming from, but at the end of the day? stop flaming and go get it yourself, its another 2 capes right?

No, it's not "just another two capes", the skillcapes amongst themselves are most certainly not equal. Getting 99 slayer holds A LOT more admiration than getting 99 cooking/fletching. You just cannot say the two achievements are equal. Therefore this who idea of all skills being equal or all 99 achievements being equal is just an illusion. They are not equal at all.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I would love to see you burn 100k+ logs to get 99 fm

You never will see that. As I said before, I don't enjoy grinding. (Really, who does?) Moreover, I'm not willing to grind just to get a cape (altough many do). Even if I were willing to do that, I would not pretend to "enjoy" burning 100k logs so that I could garner some "respect" for my "accomplishment."

I did it because I really do enjoy firemaking. It's not easy though, so don't say it is when you won't even do it

dino_da_gino.png