What Are YOUR Views On 99 Fletching And Cooking?

I don't mind when I'm asked to show my emotes ::'

It only takes a few seconds anyway. One of my closest friends in game is getting 99 fletching soon, and it will be trimming his woodcutting cape. Seeing how hard he has worked for it has actually made me appreciate the fletching cape a little more. It's not a bad looking cape, but there are just so many of them people see it as less of an achievement these days.

dino_da_gino.png

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its still quite a challenge. But Fletching and Cooking are skills that are extremely profitable, all the way to 99 (unlike combat skills, for example, which taper off). They are, for sure, two of the less respected skill capes.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Its still quite a challenge. But Fletching and Cooking are skills that are extremely profitable, all the way to 99 (unlike combat skills, for example, which taper off). They are, for sure, two of the less respected skill capes.

Cooking isn't profitable, raw are considerably more than their cooked counterparts.

OT: It's because like everyone said, there common and people are like 'meh, be more original' And imo both are very very ugly.

Costantino.png

Admittedly cooking and fletching are the two easiest 99s to get, but I don't see why so many people look down on them. An achievement is an achievement, it isn't something to look down on. Cooking and fletching command little respect, but that dosen't mean they're a bad thing to have. Defiantly better than an obby cape, especially if you have both. (pray bonus)

I personally don't give any value to fletch or cook capes. I understand that they are worn for stat bonuses when you don't have any other 99s, but the cape itself gets as much respect from me as an Obby cape, which means next to nothing.

Those two skills are something that require virtually no clicking, don't really require patience when compared to other skills, don't require almost any money and are just far too common to be even worth paying attention to.

A 99 is a 99, but some levels are just a lot harder in terms of clicking, time put on it and attention paid plus some are more expensive than others. Cooking and fletching fall to the lowest part here, just above melee skills in terms of hardness.

Some people tend to say that their 99 cook and/or fletch was harder than skill X as they fished/chopped all of their own materials. Before those reply, think it this way: why to make a skill in the harder way when you got the easier way which in this case doesn't even cause you a heavy loss of cash? The skill itself is easy, no matter did you do decide to do it in a harder way. Blame yourself, it was your own decicion to make it like that. Same way why to dig a hole with a spoon when you got a shovel?

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Cooking isn't profitable, raw are considerably more than their cooked counterparts.

OT: It's because like everyone said, there common and people are like 'meh, be more original' And imo both are very very ugly.

Its still profitable, considering how little work has to be done on the cooking end of the spectrum. Not that fishing is much harder...

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Its still profitable, considering how little work has to be done on the cooking end of the spectrum. Not that fishing is much harder...

easier is not the same as profitable. If you lose money it's not profitable and the fact that it has generous exp/hour rates makes it easy.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

easier is not the same as profitable. If you lose money it's not profitable and the fact that it has generous exp/hour rates makes it easy.

But they are, if something is profitable, you will be more likely to continue training it, thus making it easier to attain a higher level.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I hate the sort of person that has no 99's and goes and flames people who have for having 'nooby buyable' ones. At the end of the day, it's a skill cape, some are better than others, but they're all still good. They're not exactly easy to get, and are very time consuming. I really don't see the problem, I mean, it's a way to get a good looking cape with a +4 pray bonus =D.

Tyrrell9.gif

But they are, if something is profitable, you will be more likely to continue training it, thus making it easier to attain a higher level.

Obviously you have no idea what "profitable" means. It has to do with the money you get. If you spend 6 mill and get 4 mill back, your overall profit is -2mill that means you're LOSING money therefore it is NOT profitable.

Profit is not the only reason why someone would continue a skill, so do not assume "oh people do continue training cooking therefore it must be profitable". People train cooking because the exp rates are very high and the mere fact that there is a return. Exp rates have nothing to do with profit.

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Obviously you have no idea what "profitable" means. It has to do with the money you get. If you spend 6 mill and get 4 mill back, your overall profit is -2mill that means you're LOSING money therefore it is NOT profitable.

Profit is not the only reason why someone would continue a skill, so do not assume "oh people do continue training cooking therefore it must be profitable". People train cooking because the exp rates are very high and the mere fact that there is a return. Exp rates have nothing to do with profit.

How dare you insult my intelligence?

If a skill makes more profit, it is easier to train, you have more motivation to keep going for extended periods of time.

To solidify this statement, take agility for example. For the most part, people dislike it ,and say its boring. There are dramatically fewer skill capes to boot. I wonder why...

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I hate the sort of person that has no 99's and goes and flames people who have for having 'nooby buyable' ones. At the end of the day, it's a skill cape, some are better than others, but they're all still good.

But that very divergence of opinion is the reason why you can't look at it from the perspective of the person you "hate". Even when I still respected and admired achievements in Runescape, the Cooking and Fletching capes did not make it above my personal Respect [for a Player] Bar. No one here flames people for having 99's, they just find it hilarious that the majority of owners of Cooking and Fletching Capes revel in two weeks of "work", as well as expect everyone to be in awe of their two weeks of afk'ing. From my perspective this opinion may not hold much water, seeing as how I don't play the game anymore, but I can't personally find any reason to admire or respect something that takes two weeks of watching movies and playing games on one's computer while the Runescape window is open open behind the webpage the player's browsing.

Fletching and Cooking just aren't all that difficult to obtain, and I personally doubt that most of the people here have their own Respect Bars either (a) uniformally placed, so as to allow for proper judgement (something Capes can dissolve) or (B) low enough that they'd respect two weeks of afk'ing. I don't see how anyone could possibly care that much to be at the more logical, yet ludicrous (B), so my current assumption is that the fact that they're 99's, [along with other psychological reasons, such as the fact that the Capes all cost the same, or a form of denial because one aspires to have the Capes themselves one day] creates a sort of illusion in everyone's mind that they somehow deserve as much respect, or at least almost as much respect, as any other cape.

Logically speaking, that is a beyond incorrect mindset, yet a mindset sadly at least 80% of the people on this thread, including the above quoted player, has. Now, I'll ask again, anyone care to offer a rebuttal?

If a skill makes more profit, it is easier to train, you have more motivation to keep going for extended periods of time.

To solidify this statement, take agility for example. For the most part, people dislike it ,and say its boring. There are dramatically fewer skill capes to boot. I wonder why...

But the measure here is difficulty, not incentive [from nonnegative] profit. Your point is incorrect based on the fact that nonnegative profit incentive does not affect maximum or minimum experience per hour, nor does it affect costs, and thus does not correlate in any way to the difficulty of a skill.

Your anecdotal point is also meaningless in this specific debate. You are arguing the incentive gained by profit, and yet your agility analogy has absolutely nothing to do with profit, but it does have everything to do with the skill itself- the difficulty of enduring monotony, without the freedom of afk'ing, something Agility trainers must get through to gain levels. So please, offer us a more logical and pertinent analogy to explain your point, because I as of yet fail to see the proper reasoning behind it.

Oh, and add sarcasm tags around your first statement please. It's quite humorous, but it would be even more so if it was clearler that you were joking when you said that.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Perhaps you think i'm insulting your intelligence because you're not responding to my points directly, you're just restating things over and over. Frankly I don't think I really did insult you but hey, whatever.

If a skill makes more profit then it is easier to train? that doesn't even make sense. "easier to train" is not an explanation of what makes a skill "profitable" so you cannot make that statement.

profitable means you get money from the skill (example: Abyssal rcing is very profitable because you can get a lot of money), it does NOT mean that the skill is easy to train, the term for that is called "easy". Profitable implies that the method somehow gains you cash. Cooking is NOT profitable because you lose money. It's not easy for that reason, it's easy for other reasons.

Furthermore, you claim that easy skills have higher motivations because they gain levels fast? Not really. The overall achievement is fairly weak and thus the only motivation is getting a cape. Having 99 in a hard skill serves as a much better motivator than having 99 in a weak skill like cooking. All this is my personal view. Different people are motivated by different things so they will find cooking has sufficient motivation. However, none of this has anything to do with profit!

Agility has fewer capes not because it's "unprofitable" (which is totally irrelevant since you don't even get cash from it) but because it's harder to train.

Go look up a definition of "profitable" or at least explain how you could possibly think that "profitable" means "easy to train".

BlueSig6.jpg

i only think that people dont respect 99 fletching and cooking because they are so easy to get, yea i know i got 99 fletching but i only got it because its easy and its a good first 99 in my oppinion. I mean fletching and cooking are easy because they dont cost much money and usually you can buy all the supplies you need to get to 99. Another reason why i dont think that people respect it is because so many people have it...i mean im at 99 and im still ranked 18,851...but at 96 wc im ranked 11,123...they are easy skills and almost everyone has them. :-w :-k :lol: :thumbdown:

Ssgoku_012.png

Ssgoku_012.png

ssgoku_012.png

A 99 is NOT a 99.

People rate achievement capes for how hard to get or rare they are, as well as what they look like and their emotes are. And if you think about it, both these skills need a little bit money to start with, have very high experience rates and you can make some money training them. On top of all that, they are two of the least rare skill capes in runescape. So they are easy to get, common, and even look quite bad compared to all other skill capes.

As for the primary reason- the flood of 99s in those skills started at the point jagex released achievement capes- every newbie takes the easy way out and gets two of the easiest skills to max, just to get the rubbish cape.

Now the question should be, Why should we respect people that have taken the easiest route to their goal?

IF a 99 isn't a 99, then what is it? A 98.5? If they want that as their goal then let them do it. They want the cape, so what? Say that you want a fire cape, is that not cool because level 40s can do it? People have to start somewhere. Not many people go for 99 Runecrafting as their first 99... Think before you speak boy. And who says rubbish? L.
wpsig1ht5.gif

IF a 99 isn't a 99, then what is it? A 98.5? If they want that as their goal then let them do it. They want the cape, so what? Say that you want a fire cape, is that not cool because level 40s can do it? People have to start somewhere. Not many people go for 99 Runecrafting as their first 99... Think before you speak boy. And who says rubbish? L.

Way to miss the point. His statement "a 99 isn't a 99" is just pointing out to people that not all 99 skills are the same. And he, as opposed to far too many people in this thread, is absolutely correct.

Also, you claim people will just go for, say, the cooking cape before moving on to a harder one. That's all great, except these people just go for 99 cooking and fletching to have the two as a pair and then wonder why they get no respect.

I can understand if someone does 99 cooking before 99 runecrafting, but when they decide not to go for 99 runecrafting in the end and just go for 99 fletching I lose all my respect for them.

Also, loads of people just content themselves with getting 99 cooking and fletching and then proclaim "proud to be owner of fletching/cooking cape". You might as well say "proud to be in the top 20 000". I don't know about you but that statement certainly doesn't make me awe in amazement or anything. So in the end, it's great if someone goes for an easy skillcape and then a hard one, except when they just take the easy way both times. I don't respect people who always take the shortcut just to be part of "the skillcape owners".

BlueSig6.jpg

might as well not even have it,pretty useless,and i dont look at players who have it as being 'leet', or being awesome.

its easy,i could buy the items needed for 99 in both and have them both 99 within 1 month i bet.

then do it, see how easy it is and the time you have to spend to do it

a 99 is a 99 and people should respect it

Hephaestos8.gif

Way to miss the point. His statement "a 99 isn't a 99" is just pointing out to people that not all 99 skills are the same. And he, as opposed to far too many people in this thread, is absolutely correct.

Also, you claim people will just go for, say, the cooking cape before moving on to a harder one. That's all great, except these people just go for 99 cooking and fletching to have the two as a pair and then wonder why they get no respect.

I can understand if someone does 99 cooking before 99 runecrafting, but when they decide not to go for 99 runecrafting in the end and just go for 99 fletching I lose all my respect for them.

Also, loads of people just content themselves with getting 99 cooking and fletching and then proclaim "proud to be owner of fletching/cooking cape". You might as well say "proud to be in the top 20 000". I don't know about you but that statement certainly doesn't make me awe in amazement or anything. So in the end, it's great if someone goes for an easy skillcape and then a hard one, except when they just take the easy way both times. I don't respect people who always take the shortcut just to be part of "the skillcape owners".

I knew what he was saying, but it still doesn't make sense. A 99 is a 99 no matter which skill it is. Obviously some skills are going to be easier. Who really cares about respect in an online game? Have you ever thought that maybe their goal was to get those capes to make them feel proud? I bet most of them could care less what everyone else says about respect. Lets face it, nothing in RuneScape is respectful, it's just a game.
wpsig1ht5.gif