RuneScape on Miniclip, Jagex's worst decision ever?

JJGM

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't JaGexs' worst decision but the players didnt like it. It did bring many childish players into the game who wanted a simple game that would be quickk but it wasnt that sort of game.

Jagex made alot of money from it but the players wern't too happy.

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

No it wasn't a bad decision as without miniclip Jagex would obviously be making less money which in turn goes towards staff which inturn goes towards improving the game. So it was a good decision to put it there.

Secondly I'm annoyed at the people who say Jagex are just after the money. I know and speak to several mods in game often and know that they do listen to players. A lot of time I have Mod Mark or Paul asking me what I thought of the update and have often discussed potential changes to the game with Mod Mark. Seeing as Mod Mark and Paul are both high up in Jagex I think that'd indicate that Jagex DO care about their "customers" and what they want within the game. Unfortunatly there's millions of people who play the game and what each individual person wants is different from everyone else.

Not entirely sure why they'd market to young children the game is certainly not just for children but they can do that if they wish as it's their game. The problem is when there is a law saying you need parental concent to play a game if you're under 13 in America and miniclip seems to be a good place for under 13 Americans but I can't really be sure who goes to miniclip.

Signiture1-1.gif

99 Magic, 99 Defence, 99 Strength, 99 Attack, 99 Hitpoints, 99 Fletching, 99 Woodcutting, 99 Firemaking, 99 Thieving, 99 Ranged, 99 Prayer, 99 Cooking, 99 Fishing

Oh, its still there.. -.-

I started playing through Miniclip too, and I was an idiot like that..

I grew up, matured. So did you :P

But I don't know about most of the others..

People grow up. "Kids" who played RS through MC doesn't stay kids forever. I'm sure somewhere in your RS life you asked for a free item.

Dart.jpg

Well you're obviously only looking at it from your point of view.

It might have been so, but that doesn't mean other "normal" players wouldn't start playing. In fact, I think runescape grew alot thanks to Miniclip, since it's a well known free games site.

I for one found out about runescape through Miniclip back in 2004, and I'd most certainly have never found out about the game if it hadn't been for it.

When you say having the game officialy placed on Miniclip made alot of "noobish" players join and consequently spread the word about it, HOW does that affect runescape? The probabilities of ANY aged person finding out about runescape from miniclip are equal (obviously a bit more for 12-20 year ranges I'd say) but either way it gives runescape an opportunity to grow.

I think this is just another complaints-full thread trying to criticize something jagex did by only looking at things from your point of view.

Immature or not immature, there will always be beggars in any free online and interactive game. There's no way around it.

Miniclip may have introduced alot of younger plyers to the game, and they naturally have a harder time adapting to it and understanding it.. BUT not having runescape on miniclip wouldn't stop this. It'd just keep alot of people away from the game, therefore making it impossible for the game to spread through the users of Miniclip (which are alot).

bottomsupsiggyori.jpg

Runescaper since June 2005

Blog

no, it was the best desicion. They would not have had as many people in the game without miniclip.

I personally did not find out about runescape thru miniclip, but what makes me wonder is.. if jagex did not advertise at all.. where would they be?.. no where...

Thats why it is a smart move O:)

They would be somewhere, that somewhere might have been a nice, mature environment where the need for rs2 graphics would not surpass the need for a nice gaming experience.

And not advertising at all is a far leap from not advertising on miniclip.

as i see it mini-clip was a double edged sword, a catch 22 it you must. To boost your player base you must advertise and drag players in, but to keep your players happy you must have a community that is contempt with each other.

Jagex didn't really take the later as a overall effect, it has to be said that mini-clips on the whole was a player base of younger, more "i want it now, not later" children (this is not 100% of the player base as we have already seen people on Tip-it came from mini-clips as well. Like opening a dump valve RS player base grew and as a direct correlation the so called "immature children" percentage grew. i saw RS go from 20k strong online to 200k strong F2P went from a community to a war zone with pockets of people trying to get by, P2P went from a haven of skillers and personalities to screaming players and people expecting there ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã4 to buy them glory and a name.

I really would have liked to see JAgex play there java card and advertise on MMORPG.com and other java/rpg sites before they splashed out on mini-clips because now if Jagex went and took the more serious sites as an advertising prospect you would see any people playing it alongside "mini-clipers" Just Imagen though if you may, 200k players where the percentage of intellectual conversations over childish banter and flaming was greater.

Walk into catherby and you had a full on debate over current affairs without the term "LOL! politition/Country X is like wtfpwn urs!!!lololol!"

It was a dream that could never be anymore.

PS: i use the term "mini-clippers" and "immature kids" VERY loosely because to be honest it's not just those stereotypes that cause a bad community, RS has never HAD a perfect community no game does this big.

dreams and rant> :boohoo:

2hwcu83.jpg

It was a very good move on jagex's behalf as their player base grew enormously, which means more money, and improved company as a whole. But many RSers that found and played the game before it was on miniclip, in their eyes, the community degraded after Rs was introduced to Miniclip. However this is very sterotypical, rs had its immature kids and scammers before it was on there, but because of the enormous amount of players that found RS through miniclip the numbers of these annoying players grew. But so did the number of mature, legit players.

I find that being a member and keeping away from the f2p areas it doesnt even affect me. So, great move Jagex!

P2P offers more and better ways of making money than f2p. That's one of the cons you just have to play with if you don't feel like having 1 bigmac meal less per month.

But seriously. I hate the kiddies and all, but where else could you have heard of RS? That's the only place they advertise!

Mouth to mouth advertisement?

You tell your friends about your fun don't you?

they tell their friends etc.

Or someone posts it on a forum as a tip, many possibilities, a good product doesn't need commercials and stuff like that.

coenvg.png

Master of Firemaking since 10-11-2007 Yes, I QUIT! =]

Master of Woodcutting since Christmas 2007

Completed all quests - Completed all achievement diaries.

Oh, its still there.. -.-

I started playing through Miniclip too, and I was an idiot like that..

I grew up, matured. So did you :P

But I don't know about most of the others..

same here :lol:

pre2asoldierofthekingce8.png

I'll show you how terrifying a true Christian can be!

It's Xewleer: ZEW le ar, got it memorized?

Hermit of the Varrock Library and its proud guard.

Miniclip was both a good and a bad idea from Jagex side, or at least that's what I think. Miniclip has brought a lot of players to the game. Many of them became beggers and noobs, but some of them matured and became great, nice and honest RS players.

Some of my best friends in this game would never have joined RuneScape if it hadn't been for that Jagex had released RS on Miniclip.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

A teacher told me to play RS because I was complaining about how much spare time I had after football practice, and she found out about it on some site that I forgot the name of.

Miniclip was a pretty bad idea, little immature [puncture]s join it and expect easy leveling and "phr33 st00f pl0x!!!!111", then quit and play WoW because RS is too "hard".

I mean, look at this little kiddy here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nzsIxSnHs

-.-

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

A teacher told me to play RS because I was complaining about how much spare time I had after football practice, and she found out about it on some site that I forgot the name of.

Miniclip was a pretty bad idea, little immature [puncture]s join it and expect easy leveling and "phr33 st00f pl0x!!!!111", then quit and play WoW because RS is too "hard".

-.-

I Played runescape, i quit, i played WoW i quit. i wish i hadn't spent around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã110 on membership and buying the disks for WoW.

Yet another product of 3rd gen game consoles "dude, graphics make a game, gameplay comes second." child. Probably the only person that is non-bias and has a sense of humor in response to a "runescape sucks" video is this guy here does contain 14 year old fat kid abuse but hey, it is in moderation and humor

one step further then a kid that moans about runescape, is one that moans about it to youtube because he thinks everyone cares.

2hwcu83.jpg

But seriously. I hate the kiddies and all, but where else could you have heard of RS? That's the only place they advertise!

Mouth to mouth advertisement?

You tell your friends about your fun don't you?

they tell their friends etc.

Or someone posts it on a forum as a tip, many possibilities, a good product doesn't need commercials and stuff like that.

I was introduced to Runescape by playing Ghost Recon online, joining a clan, then my clan leader told me about a game called 'Runescape'.

so miniclip is not the only way people find out about Runescape, word of mouth is probably still one of the main factors in bringing people to Runescape.

P2P offers more and better ways of making money than f2p. That's one of the cons you just have to play with if you don't feel like having 1 bigmac meal less per month.

When that boy gets a girlfriend I can bet what his first request will be.

You su...

"Did you have a good time?"

It su..

--

I think jagex need to advertise on serious gaming sites to attract more hardcore and casual gamers alike. Miniclip was needed and a good decision for jagex but is now over balanced with small boys and mini adults.

-.-

I Played runescape, i quit, i played WoW i quit. i wish i hadn't spent around ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã110 on membership and buying the disks for WoW.

Yet another product of 3rd gen game consoles "dude, graphics make a game, gameplay comes second." child. Probably the only person that is non-bias and has a sense of humor in response to a "runescape sucks" video is this guy here does contain 14 year old fat kid abuse but hey, it is in moderation and humor

one step further then a kid that moans about runescape, is one that moans about it to youtube because he thinks everyone cares.

...Not like anyone actually CARES. :uhh:

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

I agree with what hobopie said.

Rs community was never perfect but it sure was alot better before miniclip.

There was barely any leetspeak, NO beggers on p2p, pking was far more enjoyable then too.

Terms like 'safing' , 'prayer nub (or whatever people say) etc didn't even exist :? .

I remember first logging onto rs in early 2003, being totally clueless standing in Lumbridge asking if anyone could give me a quick tour of how to start.

And I immediately had some kind soul take me to a bank, show me where to train, explain me the 3 item rule etc when you die.

People welcomed newcomers, they didn't mind showing you the ropes.

Wildly was filled with small teams(2-5 people) and solo pkers, pretty much noone bothered to team in single combat areas, there was alot of pking going on at mossies aswell.

And with so little worlds it was far easier to find people to fight in the wilderness :)

The community was just far more easy going back then , and I found the game more enjoyable.