RuneScape on Miniclip, Jagex's worst decision ever?

JJGM

I wish people would do some research first before just ranting about stuff. I came to RuneScape through MiniClip originally, and I remember signing up on the day RuneScape was added. I distinctly remember looking for a bike game I'd seen before, seeing Runescape on the 'recently added' section, thinking 'that wasn't there yesterday', then signing up. A week later it had gone from the top 10 spot, which is how I found the actual website. A week after that I found tip.it, and a week after that I found the forums.

On the forums, I found topics that were months old complaining about the state of the RuneScape community. The community was declining long before MiniClip got involved.

Second, MiniClip doesn't host jack. They link to Jagex's servers. As could anyone if they have a decent knowledge of HTML, XML and Java. And they put a disclaimer at the bottom.

Third, to the poster of the thread, did you actually check MiniClip before posting this? Because I just did, and I actually had to go looking for RuneScape to find it. I actually had to use ctrl + f. Now, considering there are many more flashing things on that website to entice me, it's far more likely I'll click on that rather than the text link in the A-Z at the bottom.

In short:

MiniClip was not Jagex's worst decision. Nor was it their best.

MiniClip is not to blame for a collapse in community. That happens naturally as communities get bigger with more anonymity. MiniClip may well have accelerated the process, but you cannot blame a website for something that is ultimately the players fault.

I did check Miniclip.. and it used to be the number one game for about 3 years..

I did check Miniclip, and once I clicked on the "Mutliplayer Games" tab it showed up in that list with pictures next to them. not really hard to find.

Merloc_Tg.png

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I hate RuneScape being on Miniclip, because that's where I found it. (Although I would have found it later as my friend told me he played a sweet game called RuneScape about a month after I started :P )...

I'm thinking Jagex realized their mistake in putting RuneScape on Miniclip because if they thought it was a great idea, they probably would have put it on other gaming sites that are similar to MC.

Instead of putting RuneScape on Miniclip, I think Jagex should have done what Turbine did with LOTRO: Place a huge advertisement on practically every single website on the world wide web.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

It could be comparable to a plague... At first, there were a few isolated incidents of "stupid.." But then, after Jagex opened the "Miniclip Hospital" which had very poor preventative measures for biohazzards, infection spread rapidly as many people containing the infection were released from the hospital, spreading it to everyone they encountered.

td2sig.jpg

It could be comparable to a plague... At first, there were a few isolated incidents of "stupid.." But then, after Jagex opened the "Miniclip Hospital" which had very poor preventative measures for biohazzards, infection spread rapidly as many people containing the infection were released from the hospital, spreading it to everyone they encountered.

:lol: It's true too :-s

But let's not forget that Jagex is a company as well. It needs ways to expand, and sometimes they have to sacrifice things to get there - in this case it's the maturity of the game.

In those terms, Jagex essentially sacrificed long-term things (tone of the game) for short-term (influx of players). Also, RS appeals much more to younger kids than older people, so it makes sense for Jagex to market that way.

All in all, you learn to deal. There's always a mature group of players out there, you just gotta find em.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

It's still on Miniclip. And if it weren't for Miniclip, there wouldn't be an Oddment1 (me).

Jagex should go ahead and take it down. The little kiddies that would be attracted have gone to Club Penguin where mommy and daddy approve everything they do there. That's a level of annoyance Jagex could never get away with.

same here.

RETIRED:Xtnucx

Kanonator

Termionkatil

Undead Str

Led Floyd

A teacher told me to play RS because I was complaining about how much spare time I had after football practice, and she found out about it on some site that I forgot the name of.

Miniclip was a pretty bad idea, little immature [puncture]s join it and expect easy leveling and "phr33 st00f pl0x!!!!111", then quit and play WoW because RS is too "hard".

I mean, look at this little kiddy here-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nzsIxSnHs

-.-

Wtf... Why the hell is miniclip red? :uhh:

Wallettheif.png

lordsalamence.png

jmccainwm3.jpg

The game.

no, it was the best desicion. They would not have had as many people in the game without miniclip.

I personally did not find out about runescape thru miniclip, but what makes me wonder is.. if jagex did not advertise at all.. where would they be?.. no where...

Thats why it is a smart move O:)

Quality over quantity, that's all I'm going to say.

Aulderic.png

I've killed over 20,000 dust devils while training to 99 attack and have still not gotten a dragon chain.

I think you have to accept that RS is just the kind of mmo game that 'little kids' prefer to play and not blame jagex just for trying to make the game more popular...

If you want a hardcore kind of game with mass grinding and pretty mature players then there are a lot of other mmo's out there that would suit you better. :wink:

Back after 3 years.

jooely.png

Quite honestly, i dont know if i would call it their worst decision ever. I found RS with miniclip :oops:

But then again, with the amount of immature players coming to the game you kinda regret it ever being there

I engineered this thread with precise variables that I know would cause lul-worthy flames.

Ammo931.png

maybe it wasn't that bad a decision, it kept jagex going because of the new members. although alot of immature players started playing the game

so did alot of mature players. In my opinnion, it's not jagex fault we got alot of immature players. They can't monitor maturity you know.

It was a great decision by jagex. It brought in money, which gives us new updates. I would bet the percentages of scammers, beggers, macros are the same now as they were in classic.(i played classic, so no flames on that) It brought in bad but it brought in good aswell. The community of the game hasn't really changed all that much, things are just on a much larger scale.

swordwarior.png

When I started playing Runescape, I thought Miniclip owned the game :oops: . And for the record, I wish they never advertised there. Then I could have the last 3 years of my life back... :cry:

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!