Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

20 November 2007 - Duel Arena Tournaments and Changes

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Rahila
[ Display Name History ]

Rahila

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • RSN:rahila

okay i saw this on rsof and had to post, look at the red box...

Posted Image

they really think they did a good job?

Well they certainly didnt test it very well thats a fact....

WOW...I'm honestly dissapointed in jagex and i dont even stake...

Ive always stuck up for they're updates but what were they thinking?

and how could that make a rants thread and call it brilliant?

and wheres are hints about next years update?

<.<

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts
There are only two possibilities here.

1. Jagex has reached new heights of outoftouchedness ™ by inadvertently destroying a part of the game people liked in their pursuit of RL trading.

2. Jagex deliberately wanted to stop high-stakes gambling but won't admit it.

So which is it, clueless or dishonest?
Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Dark Dude
As an Ex-staker and a long term Runescape player I can say Jagex have outdone themselves this time.

I'm support pretty much every update Jagex has ever done (There's a few iffy ones here and there) but this is just stupid. 3,000 gold is nothing and has made staking 100% pointless. 3,000 gold is about 5 minutes worth of work at most and a complete and utter joke.

Fine, I can understand people using the duel arena to get around trade detection of real world item trading, but why not monitor staking? Jagex have just taken the lazy way out, they should have implemented a system similar to trading where they can see unfair trades.

The best way to reduce the amount of duel arena trading is to have both stakes within 10% of each other (10% of the highest offer, so if someone offers 1M, the other has to offer Atleast 900k, at most around ~1.1M (Tad more than that, because 10% of 1.1M is 110k). This means that dueling is fair for everyone and if they're trading huge amounts of money, then the other side will need a similar amount too.

IceBlackIce
[ Display Name History ]

IceBlackIce

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 340 posts
Ow grow up you all !!

Whenever people asked for Mailing items for other players most argued that would only help drop traders and rl traders and blah blah...when jagex eliminates the very same problem but mess with the ohh so leet stackers turf we see riots and pages and pages of mindless rants.

Go PK or whatever...

Posted ImagePosted Image
*** [ END ]: You gained 1,671,000 thieving exp in 9mins 44secs. That's 10,300,684 exp/h.
Dragon Drops - 1 Skirt

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
This is getting bad, I'm currently following a huge riot that a 109(which you can see in front) started about 4 minutes ago.

Posted Image
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

bored321
[ Display Name History ]

bored321

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • RSN:Tera
well i finally got a go, and got to 1709.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Kariga
[ Display Name History ]

Kariga

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 160 posts
Yes!

Finally i can't stake all my cash away, it's happened too many times :mrgreen:

I mean... " alright I'll go stake just 100k. DOH lost ok I'll take 500k from bank. DOH lost. OK 1m lose 2m lose 5m lose all in lose."

But now I can lose it in a tournament... 8-)
6221st to 85 Slayer. ( Yippee)

kemikalkadet
[ Display Name History ]

kemikalkadet

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Kemikalkadet

Ow grow up you all !!

Whenever people asked for Mailing items for other players most argued that would only help drop traders and rl traders and blah blah...when jagex eliminates the very same problem but mess with the ohh so leet stackers turf we see riots and pages and pages of mindless rants.

Go PK or whatever...

The thing is, they say this is to stop RL trades, yet rl traders can still trade between accounts via regular trading or by fighting in the wilderness. Does this mean that JaGeX will put a stop to these 2 activities too? Qeltar made a good post earlier.. either they're lying to us about the reason for the change, or they're showing how out of touch they are by destroying this great part of the game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

I understand that there is a type of player who uses the Duel Arena to stake large amounts of money. We've thought long and hard about the change to the maximum amount you can stake and this was the result of the discussions.

It was deliberate. They wanted high-level gambling removed, but they're afraid of being honest with their own customers.
Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!
Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!
Posted Image

DarkDude
[ Display Name History ]

DarkDude

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,232 posts
  • RSN:Dark Dude
Just spoken to Paul in game and he went over things briefly with me.

Obviously they've spent a long time debating this and found 3,000 to be the best number to set it at, quite how they came up this number I'm not sure but I respect the time they must have spent coming to that conclusion.

I'm still iffy on the situation, it just seems far to low for my liking, even something such as 50,000 would be good, but obviously Jagex feel that's far too much.

The 10% thing I suggested earlier wouldn't work, that'd end up getting up exponentially (doubling each time) until the required amount was "transferred". Same with the "Within 3,000" suggestion someone else made.

Paul also said the 3,000 limit most probably won't change and that even if I did persuade him it wouldn't do any good :lol:

I suggested he made a topic on the forums about it to stop (some) of the idiots protesting like morons.

At the end of the day, Jagex are doing this to try and benefit us by stopping the autoers/real world item sellers, sacrifices have to be made and unfortunately this was at the cost of 1 vs 1 staking.

Look on the bright side, now you have a chance to win 64x what you staked, more than worth the sacrifice imo!

OldJoe
[ Display Name History ]

OldJoe

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • RSN:Joedeby
Cool new 64-system... Although it seems to be not working properly.

And the not so cool 3k limit.

Eh, 3k?!

I'm not even a staker, if i stake it's just for fun... 10k or so. But 3k? Uhm, yeah!

The reasons i can think of:

They smoked something bad, too much russian nation-drink, a bad joke...

One thing though, is this gp only? Or can't you stake a dragon chain now?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies
Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie
Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens
Je suis juste un cas désespérant
Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer
Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

PFJ
[ Display Name History ]

PFJ

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 234 posts
I *deeply* dislike this update. I'm in the process of making a staker, so to me, this is like a big 'piss off' from jagex.

I don't see how stopping a couple of account traders is of more importance than the happiness of a large amount of players.
Posted Image
Siggy By...me! ^^
If you've got any tips on sig making, photoshop in general, or a recommendation on a good DSLR to get me started, pm me =]

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Just spoken to Paul in game and he went over things briefly with me.

Cool that you have a direct line with one of the bosses, but I think he was blowing sunshine at you.

There is more to this than they are admitting.
Posted Image

007007008plp
[ Display Name History ]

007007008plp

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,607 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:007007008plp
I haven't played RS in along long time and I haven't posted on these forums in just as long. But I've just got to say my bit on this subject....basically until jagex can give a good enough reason for this limit then I think they have made one of the worst changes to the game since....well this is the worst as far as I am concerned.

I feel really sorry for all the genuine stakers.
Posted Image

spooferfish
[ Display Name History ]

spooferfish

Crimson 'n' Gold

• Members
  • 3,783 posts
  • RSN:Spooferfish
  • RSN2:Qdoba
  • Clan:OCM

okay i saw this on rsof and had to post, look at the red box...

Posted Image

they really think they did a good job?

aside from the 3k stake limit, they did.

35b9enp.jpg

Armadyllo
[ Display Name History ]

Armadyllo

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 215 posts

...I think he was blowing sunshine at you.

There is more to this than they are admitting.

I'm just not seeing it. They post about trying to get rid of real-world trading and bots, they change shops (relatively harmlessly) and say it's to get rid of bots, then they destroy staking and claim it's to get rid of real-world trading. It's horrible, but it fits what they've been doing.

Now, there could be some hidden conspiracy on the part of Jagex to get rid of gambling from the game, but that's a pretty arbitrary theory. For a start, they've got very explicit gambling in the game (Barbarian Assault, Rat Pits and the Death Plateau dice game). Sure, it's not particularly high-stake gambling, but it's still clearly gambling. They've never shown any signs of wanting to get rid of it.

If they did want to get rid of the nasty gambling from RuneScape, that's technically good PR - "game removes unsuitable content, send your kiddies to play it now" - and they could be expected to announce it loudly. Which we don't see.

I don't like the staking cap, and I don't like where I think they're going with this, but I don't believe it's a dishonest conspiracy aimed at something else. I wish it were! I'd actually prefer for Jagex to get rid of gambling than to stop uncontrolled item transfers in order to take out real-world trading; gambling doesn't interest me, but a fight against real-world trading can have far more serious effects on my favorite game.

Zoob
[ Display Name History ]

Zoob

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 203 posts
World 54 :?

Posted Image

jessy87
[ Display Name History ]

jessy87

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,419 posts

World 54 :?

Posted Image

their fix is to remove staking entirely and have armor & raw material rewards for winning tournaments and stakes now.

lol

Wachtwoord
[ Display Name History ]

Wachtwoord

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,997 posts
  • RSN:Who Plays
This is too far, way and way too far. I've never done any serious staking but this is just too much. Staking have always been a part of runescape and this has totally ruined it.

I'm not a very good write myself, so I'll just quote someone from the RSOF:

It's like hiring the US army to kill a pigeon. Coincidentally, a city is under the pigeon.

How about improving your tracking systems instead of killing off thousands of decent people's rs income?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+
Posted Image

qeltar
[ Display Name History ]

qeltar

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,657 posts
Armadyllo,

The cap is set at 12k per hour. That's a ridiculous amount of money as I am sure anyone would agree. A member can make that in 10 minutes as soon as they step foot off of Tutorial Island.

RWT is done with huge amounts of money.. tens of millions. They could have set the cap to something like 500k to 1m per hour, which would have stopped RWT and very high-end staking but still allowed stakers to play the game in the way they enjoy to a reasonable extent. (There are plenty of other ways to make that much anyway that are less risky.)

Capping at a ridiculous low figure was designed to stop not just RWT, but 1-on-1 staking in its entirety.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users