20 November 2007 - Duel Arena Tournaments and Changes

Aneron

Cool new 64-system... Although it seems to be not working properly.

And the not so cool 3k limit.

Eh, 3k?!

I'm not even a staker, if i stake it's just for fun... 10k or so. But 3k? Uhm, yeah!

The reasons i can think of:

They smoked something bad, too much russian nation-drink, a bad joke...

One thing though, is this gp only? Or can't you stake a dragon chain now?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I *deeply* dislike this update. I'm in the process of making a staker, so to me, this is like a big 'piss off' from jagex.

I don't see how stopping a couple of account traders is of more importance than the happiness of a large amount of players.

The-Road-2.gif

Siggy By...me! ^^

If you've got any tips on sig making, photoshop in general, or a recommendation on a good DSLR to get me started, pm me =]

Just spoken to Paul in game and he went over things briefly with me.

Cool that you have a direct line with one of the bosses, but I think he was blowing sunshine at you.

There is more to this than they are admitting.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I haven't played RS in along long time and I haven't posted on these forums in just as long. But I've just got to say my bit on this subject....basically until jagex can give a good enough reason for this limit then I think they have made one of the worst changes to the game since....well this is the worst as far as I am concerned.

I feel really sorry for all the genuine stakers.

bunyip.png

...I think he was blowing sunshine at you.

There is more to this than they are admitting.

I'm just not seeing it. They post about trying to get rid of real-world trading and bots, they change shops (relatively harmlessly) and say it's to get rid of bots, then they destroy staking and claim it's to get rid of real-world trading. It's horrible, but it fits what they've been doing.

Now, there could be some hidden conspiracy on the part of Jagex to get rid of gambling from the game, but that's a pretty arbitrary theory. For a start, they've got very explicit gambling in the game (Barbarian Assault, Rat Pits and the Death Plateau dice game). Sure, it's not particularly high-stake gambling, but it's still clearly gambling. They've never shown any signs of wanting to get rid of it.

If they did want to get rid of the nasty gambling from RuneScape, that's technically good PR - "game removes unsuitable content, send your kiddies to play it now" - and they could be expected to announce it loudly. Which we don't see.

I don't like the staking cap, and I don't like where I think they're going with this, but I don't believe it's a dishonest conspiracy aimed at something else. I wish it were! I'd actually prefer for Jagex to get rid of gambling than to stop uncontrolled item transfers in order to take out real-world trading; gambling doesn't interest me, but a fight against real-world trading can have far more serious effects on my favorite game.

This is too far, way and way too far. I've never done any serious staking but this is just too much. Staking have always been a part of runescape and this has totally ruined it.

I'm not a very good write myself, so I'll just quote someone from the RSOF:

It's like hiring the US army to kill a pigeon. Coincidentally, a city is under the pigeon.

How about improving your tracking systems instead of killing off thousands of decent people's rs income?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Armadyllo,

The cap is set at 12k per hour. That's a ridiculous amount of money as I am sure anyone would agree. A member can make that in 10 minutes as soon as they step foot off of Tutorial Island.

RWT is done with huge amounts of money.. tens of millions. They could have set the cap to something like 500k to 1m per hour, which would have stopped RWT and very high-end staking but still allowed stakers to play the game in the way they enjoy to a reasonable extent. (There are plenty of other ways to make that much anyway that are less risky.)

Capping at a ridiculous low figure was designed to stop not just RWT, but 1-on-1 staking in its entirety.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Horrible update, I won't go into details why because so many have already.

Question, since we can no longer stake more then 3k on a 1 vs 1 duel, but still can stake items; does anyone think this will make items rise in price to compensate for the lack of money involved? Since there are tons of stakers, they'll turn to other methods to continue to try and make the best of the arena without using the tournament.

I was thinking that rares and higher leveled armour/weapons would increase. Anyone else think so, or is this just a stupid theory?

In a complete rewrite of the Duel Arena, such as we've just had, if they wanted to get rid of one-on-one staking while introducing tournaments, they could have simply left out the staking altogether if they really wanted to be rid of it. Instead they've left in a crippled form of staking that's useless for big item transfers. (Pity it's not much fun for staking.)

Anyway, we shall see. I've been following a few of those recent threads where they're speculating about Jagex needing to restrict item transfers - hence a Grand Exchange to control the trades - and I find them a bit more convincing.

I don't think that this was entirely about RL trading at all. They deliberately wanted to get rid of high-stakes gambling at the arena, but they don't want to admit it.

I have to agree. Just go to any f2p world, varrock west. That is where all the real world traders meet and trade. It is the best place to report them as well. I never even knew people real world traded at the duel arena on a daily basis.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

In a complete rewrite of the Duel Arena, such as we've just had, if they wanted to get rid of one-on-one staking while introducing tournaments, they could have simply left out the staking altogether if they really wanted to be rid of it. Instead they've left in a crippled form of staking that's useless for big item transfers. (Pity it's not much fun for staking.)

They left it in basically for "funning".

Do you think that if the cap had been, say, 100k every 15 minutes that RWT would use it? Of course not. But stakers still would.

You really believe they didn't think of that middle ground option? I do not. So either you overestimate their honesty or I overestimate their awareness of how their game works. :)

signew2.png

It is funny how people are missing the reason behind the Duel Arena change. Real world traders are the ones to blame for this. They meet up with the person who bought their goods at the arena, duel them and lose. Voila', a violation of rule 12 has occurred without fear of either party involved being banned. If people did not abuse this loophole, the Duel Arena would never have been changed. Kudos to Jagex for plugging up another means of cheating in the game.

meta_mucil.png

SHHH, I am concentrating.....oh look, a paperclip!

Where was I again?

You need to read the knowledge base article. They are using the "player value" of all items. You currently cannot even stake any rune items, as all of them have a street value of > 3K.

Jason

Wow, thats even more pathetic then I first thought then. They COMPLETELY killed it.

What if i would be a staker with 94 magic (I'm not... this is an example)

And i would need 10 ice barrages to kill my opponent

and if 1 ice barrage would cost me about 1k in runes (don't know about that, als just an example)

that way i'd lose 10k and win only 3k

that makes 1 vs 1 staking 150% pointless (yes, over 100%, because you lose on it)

tipitsignature134jg0.jpg

Could this potentially lower the prices of rares? If you can no longer stake rares, what will all those people who have a ton of rares do with them? Sell them? I have very little experience in the tendencies of rares so this could be completely wrong, but what else would these people do with rares?

Jagex went way too far with this one. The riots are going to get way out of hand.... This update was either to get rid of high staking, or to drive people to go to the other arena beneath the duel arena... Either way, I'm anticipating that stakers will stop paying for their membership, and then they'll begin to lose money.... And then they'll hopefully get this right.

No witty signatures for me :(

You really believe they didn't think of that middle ground option? I do not. So either you overestimate their honesty or I overestimate their awareness of how their game works. :)

Let's pray that you're right. I just don't see any point in them lying about their reasons for this. The reason you've postulated is far less controversial than the one they gave us, so it'd be a mighty silly lie!

For me personally it hasn't affected anything, but it's a real low blow to the stakers, and staking as a whole. The only possiblity why Jagex won't have a 'riot' is that there aren't that many stakers.

Well, there aren't many pure stakers, but about the average player who stakes occasionally to gain money?

No witty signatures for me :(