Will anyone be left to play RS in 5 years?

Ddog210

As quoted in British gaming firm takes on the world

By Mark Ward

"Dedicated fans need not worry though as, said Mr Iddison, Runescape will be the main investment focus for Jagex for the next five years. "

My question: He says that RS will be upheld for at least five years? At the rate they're messing the game up, I dont think theyll have more than a few thousand at that point.

-the games focus is shifting from older people to young kids, even though the ESRB rated it 13+

-duel arena updates killed staking, what are they gonna make minimum drop in the wilderness full bronze so kids dont cry?

-macros are filling up the game obviously. Jagex is TAKING THE WRONG APPROACH TO KILLING THEM!!!!!!!!

-they combat macros by doing things that effect all players not just computers. i.e. duel arena update.

I will add more.

~|) |) 0 q~

\_/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-When did the ESRB rate the game? I've never seen anything from the ESRB concerning Runescape, considering that Jagex has no obligation to have the game rated by the ESRB as it's not sold in stores or in a boxed form, or even advertised other than the internet.

-Taking one update and pulling the most extreme negative repercussion that'll never happen out of it. Takes your argument and dips it into the toilet (if you don't mind a Jim Gaf[bleep]in reference)

-...They're trying to ban them, not kill them. And if you looked on the wider spectrum, they did that just this week. They destroyed a main method of transferring money undetected.

-I wasn't affected by the duel update. Since you said "all", your argument gets thrown out.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'll be here

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

-the games focus is shifting from older people to young kids, even though the ESRB rated it 13+

-duel arena updates killed staking, what are they gonna make minimum drop in the wilderness full bronze so kids dont cry?

-macros are filling up the game obviously. Jagex is TAKING THE WRONG APPROACH TO KILLING THEM!!!!!!!!

-they combat macros by doing things that effect all players not just computers. i.e. duel arena update.

1. The game has always been focused on a younger audience. We all know this. Besides, if it wasn't you probably wouldn't even be here to write this fantastically persuasive argument that has changed my view of this issue wholly.

2. Who gives a [bleep]? Everyone knows they're going to either fix it, or a handful of people will stop playing. That $200-300 a month in membership fees is not going to bankrupt Jagex.

3. Macros have always been filling up the game. I can bet you that there was a higher percentage of macros back in RuneScape classic compared to now. The game has lasted 7 years with macros in it, I'm pretty sure it can survive another 5.

4. Uhh of course they do? If you have some grandiose plan how to eliminate/disable a large number of macro accounts on a regular basis without effecting any legit players in any way then I'm pretty sure TB&JT would be all ears.

I'm [bleep]ing sick and tired of all these half-baked dimwitted threads going on and on about the impending apocalypse of RuneScape due to one stinking update they don't like.

1. The game has always been focused on a younger audience. We all know this. Besides, if it wasn't you probably wouldn't even be here to write this fantastically persuasive argument that has changed my view of this issue wholly.

2. Who gives a [bleep]? Everyone knows they're going to either fix it, or a handful of people will stop playing. That $200-300 a month in membership fees is not going to bankrupt Jagex.

3. Macros have always been filling up the game. I can bet you that there was a higher percentage of macros back in RuneScape classic compared to now. The game has lasted 7 years with macros in it, I'm pretty sure it can survive another 5.

4. Uhh of course they do? If you have some grandiose plan how to eliminate/disable a large number of macro accounts on a regular basis without effecting any legit players in any way then I'm pretty sure TB&JT would be all ears.

I'm [bleep] sick and tired of all these half-baked dimwitted threads going on and on about the impending apocalypse of RuneScape due to one stinking update they don't like.

$200-$300? I don't know where you've been, but take a look around - even non-stakers, like me, are quitting. This isn't your everyday half-baked quest. This cut a major part of RuneScape out of the game at the cost of merely inconviencing gold farmers, and if you can't trust Jagex to use common sense on something as old and mainstream as the duel arena, then they don't deserve my money. I'm not going to play this game in fear that they'll take out woodcutting because macros love it.

I'm [bleep] sick and tired of all these half-baked dimwitted threads going on and on about the impending apocalypse of RuneScape due to one stinking update they don't like.

$200-$300? I don't know where you've been, but take a look around - even non-stakers, like me, are quitting. This isn't your everyday half-baked quest. This cut a major part of RuneScape out of the game at the cost of merely inconviencing gold farmers, and if you can't trust Jagex to use common sense on something as old and mainstream as the duel arena, then they don't deserve my money. I'm not going to play this game in fear that they'll take out woodcutting because macros love it.

Righto then 2k. Big whoop. Seriously, this doesn't have a huge effect on the core population of pre-teens that pretty much use their skills for making money.

Well, With the release of these new Games Jagex is creating, I'm not realy sure what's going to happen. However, Runescape's Population may decrease to half of the active player playing now. In the future, with the Release of new Games, And better Graphics, players will be moving on to bigger and better things.

Runescape 2 may become a thing of the past like Runescape Classic. There may be a Runescape 3 or Runescape 4, but who knows. I don't think Jagex can Maintain like 3 websites like that. It's hard to say what's for the future, but let's sit back and watch.

~Alina

~Tip.It's #1 Party Girl & Events Team Supporter~

2141567593_54ae68f6f3_o.jpg

Next TET Event: A Holy Pilgrimage!

Next TET AU Event: Zamorak Strikes Back Part 1!

PM me if you need any help with an event.

At this rate of stupid updates, there won't be many players left after 2 years unfortunately :?

+1, since 2007 started you seen those riots, people quitting and complaining to jagex. in 2008, if this repeats then its likely that rs will stop investing not even in five years.

In my opinion, I forsee Runescape dying off or being supported by a much smaller (like only about 100,000 players or so) die-hard fanbase in the coming years. Jagex is clearly aiming RS at the younger generations (miniclip, fantasy setting, etc) and while the general Runescape populace (who live primarily in western countries, such as USA, Britain, Australia) are ageing (a demoographic statistic), less and less people aged about 15 or under (the largest age group which plays RS) will be playing this game, and as technology advances, the graphics of Runescape will be severely outdated and the 7-13 year olds will switch instead to more graphically-intense online games.

So, I see a severe downturn in the numbers of players in RS, should Jagex keep pumping out controversial updates such as the complete nerf of staking. However, most likely, I'm completely wrong, and I hope that RS will stay popular forever. :)

22woger22.gif

22woger22.png

I dont think Runescape will last too much longer, also, ive heard that they are making a game called "MechScape" it is a more modern version of runescape....it might take over? Mechscape sounds stupid anyway..

Jagex have ruined staking...Dosent mean people will quit..but if they make more updates like that, then people will start to quit :boohoo:

Jagex are focusing themselves to the younger people, although they state this on the site:

RuneScape has been designed to be enjoyable for as wide a range of players as possible. In the beginning, Paul and Andrew created content that they thought their friends would find fun. Now RuneScape is developed by a larger team, but our basic aim is the same - to make the game we ourselves would want to play (i.e. our target audience is essentially ourselves, and people like us). Since we have a whole variety of very different types of gamers working here, we're trying to make something which appeals to a wide range of people. That of course includes avid gamers (which most of us are), but also casual gamers, and even people who have never played computer games before.

RuneScape isn't specifically targeted at kids and never has been. We do however have a lot of younger players, particularly as the game can be played for free, therefore it is one of our central missions to ensure the game also remains a safe environment for younger players to be. We take player safety extremely seriously and work with a number of organisations to help shape and guide our policies; see here. This parents section is intended to be part of that, and to be helpful to the parents of any younger players who wish to learn more about the game.

The difficulty of the gameplay itself is not shaped for younger players. A certain level of maturity is in fact really needed to play RuneScape to the full extent, as the game has some quite complex gameplay, puzzles and plots, which older players are more likely to appreciate. Finally, RuneScape is set in a traditional fantasy setting with the usual combat and conflict, so we only recommend the game for players aged 13+ (i.e. if you wouldn't want your kids to watch "Lord of the Rings", you probably wouldn't want them to play RuneScape).

Coming Soon

Jesus Christ. Please stop with the doomsday predictions. Ruining staking is not going to make everyone quit.

At worst there will be a slight shrinking of the player base. The game is not "going to fall".

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

I don't know where you find your numbers, but I'm in contact with several dozens persons through clans, friends, and pk groups, and I don't know of a single one quitting because the update.

Besides, for every "controversial" update made, ten good ones like GWD and the like are made lol...

ranger4life995ut.gif

I'll be here

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Ok.

RuneScape has over a million subscribers, and that number is growing rapidly.

And you say that it will be dead in five years.

failboat.jpg

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

ill be here still

Animaslayer.png

Dragon Drops: Platelegs x9, Med Helms x7, Plateskirts x4, Shield Left Half x3, At least 75+ Boots!, Hatchets x5, Ruined Shard x1, Solo Claws x2, Dragon 2Hander x1, Spear x2

Whip x27, Dark Bows x9, Draconic Visage x1

sweetol5.png <- do that when you see me :P