Merchanting not dead?!?!

maunglord

I think I found a way around that 5% profit margin within the GE. And the answer is: merchant air runes. Or any other item that sells below 20 gp, that way the the 5% cap actually increases. As fractions of a gp get rounded up!

Say you buy air runes at 12 gp ea. The current market price was 13 gp ea last time I checked so you make 1 gp per 12 you spend, and that bumps your growth rate to about 8%. Now sell air runes at 14 gp ea, that's 1 gp every 6 you spend, pumping the growth rate up to a whopping 16%!!! (compared to 5)

Of course this is given that you can buy at 12 to begin with and then sell at 14...that's the rough spot...what you think?

Why do people think when something now can be done with less attention and much more effectively then before...that its dead.

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

In fact it was actually made easier, people like myself that never like merchanting in the past are actually able to merchant now while still doing what they would much rather do, aka skill or in my case slay :mrgreen: .

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Why do people think when something now can be done with less attention and much more effectively then before...that its dead.

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

In fact it was actually made easier, people like myself that never like merchanting in the past are actually able to merchant now while still doing what they would much rather do, aka skill or in my case slay :mrgreen: .

+1

Merchanting has not died - just changed.

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

+1

But, for the most part, prices keep dropping. Merchanting has been really affected.

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

+1

+2

Changed for the BETTER.

"Here lies one whose name was writ in water."

Of course merchanting isn't dead; it will be dead in January.

A few days ago I got a Bandos hilt drop. GE said it was worth 38.5M. I went to World 2 and sold it for 40.6M instead. Until January people can still set their own prices.

I actually made a killing by buying like 4k maples when they were 20ish each and i just sold them for like 44 ea or something so... merchanting now is more about predicting where prices are going and predicted than selling to desperate people/idiots who don't know prices....

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

Dude...clearly since you didn't like merchanting, you never did it and you never figured out how it works. I'll give you the run down.

I smelt, mine, and trade ores and bars. The cheapest way to get bars is trading with PEOPLE. Where I offer to pay them in ores PLUS a relatively SMALL amount of cash. The GE only allows cash transactions (this comes into play later).

So say iron ore is currently worth 85 gp ea and coal is worth 185 gp ea. To make it equal, there will be 1 iron per 2 coals. That's 85 + 185 + 185 = 455. Not done yet, since I'd be paying only 455 gp ea for the steel bars, I offer gold along with it, the standard way is 120 gp at max (before update), so that means I'm paying 575 gp per steel bar. I will then go and sell them at 600 gp ea. Making my profit 25 gp, only 4%, but repeated over hundreds of transactions, thousands of steel and ores at a time, that's millions of gp.

With the update. In January, as soon as the 3k per 15 min trade rule kicks in, if I make a transaction with a difference of even 5 gp per steel bar, my trading capacity is cut down to only 600 max trade. Now I ask you, HOW is that fair? I need to trade with people for my profit, I have no beef with the GE taking the place of my BUYERS, but I need SELLERS who will take a 4% loss as the cost for exp. The trade limit eliminates my ability to buy from them because I will lose money if I do. If they only take a 3k loss max, over deals that involve 2k steel bars at 1.2mil cash value, I make absolutely NOTHING. Doesn't that mean merchanting is dead? I can buy. Sure. I can buy forever. But I would never even make it to the point where I would sell. No selling, no gains, NO MERCHANTING.

grand ex scared away all the arrogant noob merchants who cant adapt

You don't understand the system. You don't see how it effects the HIGHLY adaptable merchants who have LEGITIMATE business rings whose ONLY way to make it this far IS to adapt. This update eliminates the ABILITY to adapt. But you don't understand that, so shut your mouth unless you're going to say something that has a HINT of intelligence in it.

Problem:

1) You aren't the only doing this. Good luck finding a buyer any time soon in the GE with you, and everyone else doing the exact same thing.

2) Not everyone buys at the max price if they don't have to.

3) If you are buying a minimum price from GE, what makes you think others won't do the exact same thing? Obviously there is a supply of runes to suffice the merchanters, what makes you think someone wont do the exact same thing to buy runes for their personal use?

polarbeardaveyz9.png

#-o I did say there was a rough spot. I never said I was doing this. This was a suggestion for mercs who use this process, the ones who like to buy low and sell high. I actually DO some work to ramp up my profits, sure it's a bit slower but the payoff makes it worth it for me. I buy ess and craft my own airs to sell, and at 5 airs per ess, I'm already making 8% profit at the current GE price (loaded up on ess when they dropped to 20 ea). Though my crafting relies on runners, and once the January trade limit kicks in, they may stop...iunno, just have to wait ans see :-k

Just merchant high-demand items that people could be desperate about. Items they want right now. Air runes aren't exciting enough. Try dragon boots, berserker rings, and things like that.

2480+ total

I do what I call merchant skilling. Buy, transform, sell. Example, buy iron ores and coal, make steel bars, and sell. you can even mine the ores for the complete profit (though this is complete skilling at that point). Works for a lot of things.

I do what I call merchant skilling. Buy, transform, sell. Example, buy iron ores and coal, make steel bars, and sell. you can even mine the ores for the complete profit (though this is complete skilling at that point). Works for a lot of things.

:D ANOTHER SMART PERSON!!! :thumbsup: You get props! =D>

:D ANOTHER SMART PERSON!!! :thumbsup: You get props! =D>

I used to do this with mith, buy coal and mith, superheat, and sell but then it became to much of a hassle.

That's called investing, not merchanting.

All merchanting is investing... You buy something and hope price either changes in your favor or you change it to your favor. I buy a phat when they are 10m and sell when they are 200m was I not merchanting?

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

[hide=This is what I will do...]

[/hide]

[hide=This is what I do now...]

Just merchant high-demand items that people could be desperate about. Items they want right now. Air runes aren't exciting enough. Try dragon boots, berserker rings, and things like that.
[/hide]

Those above examples by those two players are the ways merchanting if it is to be done is intended to be done with the grand exchange.

However, its not ideal for the traditional old school merchanting that people were used to with all that standing in world 2 fally and killing the official forums with all their trades.

This is the adaptation that many people havent caught onto yet.

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

Dude...clearly since you didn't like merchanting, you never did it and you never figured out how it works. I'll give you the run down.

I smelt, mine, and trade ores and bars. The cheapest way to get bars is trading with PEOPLE. Where I offer to pay them in ores PLUS a relatively SMALL amount of cash. The GE only allows cash transactions (this comes into play later).

So say iron ore is currently worth 85 gp ea and coal is worth 185 gp ea. To make it equal, there will be 1 iron per 2 coals. That's 85 + 185 + 185 = 455. Not done yet, since I'd be paying only 455 gp ea for the steel bars, I offer gold along with it, the standard way is 120 gp at max (before update), so that means I'm paying 575 gp per steel bar. I will then go and sell them at 600 gp ea. Making my profit 25 gp, only 4%, but repeated over hundreds of transactions, thousands of steel and ores at a time, that's millions of gp.

With the update. In January, as soon as the 3k per 15 min trade rule kicks in, if I make a transaction with a difference of even 5 gp per steel bar, my trading capacity is cut down to only 600 max trade. Now I ask you, HOW is that fair? I need to trade with people for my profit, I have no beef with the GE taking the place of my BUYERS, but I need SELLERS who will take a 4% loss as the cost for exp. The trade limit eliminates my ability to buy from them because I will lose money if I do. If they only take a 3k loss max, over deals that involve 2k steel bars at 1.2mil cash value, I make absolutely NOTHING. Doesn't that mean merchanting is dead? I can buy. Sure. I can buy forever. But I would never even make it to the point where I would sell. No selling, no gains, NO MERCHANTING.

Surely you have to realize that this isn't quite what you were getting at when you posted your first post in which I replied to.

That being said since your onto another topic, I shall do the same.

I do agree that this will significantly hurt 'service skill merchanting', aka, what you mentioned above and things of that nature with hides for range armor and ess for runes etc, etc.

Yes that will take an extremely crippling hit then, however as it stands now it is still around. At the time of this post and the style in which you posted it you made it seem like merchanting has been dead, not that its going to die. Which of those two situations the first never has happened, and the second appears to only be but a matter of time before it does, assuming jagex doesnt make any changes to what information they have given us.

grand ex scared away all the arrogant noob merchants who cant adapt

You don't understand the system. You don't see how it effects the HIGHLY adaptable merchants who have LEGITIMATE business rings whose ONLY way to make it this far IS to adapt. This update eliminates the ABILITY to adapt. But you don't understand that, so shut your mouth unless you're going to say something that has a HINT of intelligence in it.

How his post lacked even a "HINT" Of intelligence is beyond me. The grand exchange to an unexperienced merchant tends to make them stick to the ways that they used to merchant before its release, henceforth 'scaring away all the arrogant merchants who cant adapt.'

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

Merchanting NEVER DIED!

meh... if you don't like to sit in 1 place all the day its pretty affected, I mean, I used to buy the thing I merchant and let friends make threads on the RSOF and I could just skill and go to the place where they buy the goods, that gone now as u have to sit in the GE all the time.

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

I've actually found merchanting to be easier. Before the GE i didn't have the patience to do much merchanting. It is all about finding your niche and sticking to it. I made around 3.5-4 mill today and I only did around 3 transactions. If you know how your market is going to react and you have enough starting cash it is much easier to merchant then it used to be. Except now the name of the game is bulk.

Before the GE good luck trying to sell an item in bulk this quickly, not to mention when dealing with large amounts of cash, often times the amount of an item you are buying, the numbers are odd.

Find an item that has definite demand, but not too much supply. Buy it for either the market price or slightly higher/lower than the average price. Then re-sell for maybe 5-10 gp more depending on the original price of said item. If buyers will actually buy at that new price.... then you're golden and you found your niche.

I found what i merch... but If I tell everyone what i merch, then it would make it harder for me... so figure it out kiddies!

pandapk2.jpg

Yeah, merchanting is still alive. You can still buy and sell items the old way, by trading from player to player directly instead over the GE, but it has become much harder to find people buying or selling items outside the GE.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Ok...maybe if you want to stand in one spot all day, then merchanting is easier, simply post, post, post, then post some more. But the GE along with the trade limts completely eliminate the ability to have runes or ores run for you, or steel smelted for you, or any other convenient service lower level players are willing to offer for moderate amounts of gp and raw materials. With the GE and limiters, the "new" way of merchanting is gonna be STRICTLY buy low and sell high and it's going to be ONLY through the GE. After January there's no way around that.

Yeah I gotta say, merchanting's easier now for me than ever. I've never really merchanted to make money until recently where I've been doing it and have made a few hundred k with literally 3 minutes work in total.

I have chosen the 1 item I am working with and have 1 ad to buy at the market price, I can normally get it within 1 day. Once I find them all bought, I just put the price as the maximum price and put the add up for sale. They sell again within 1 day. While I'm not certain this will last for ever, there is a million new ways to merchant without ever trading with anyone.

And I won't say what the item I merchant with is, because that wouldn't be good for business :D