Your favorite book/book series

IeatWindex

The more I think about it, the more I realize that most every book in High School (including AP English assignments) I really ended up liking. Kinda weird how teachers knew what they were talking about ::'

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to the bookstore today and picked up Wizard's First Rule, the first Ranger's Apprentice, and Epic. I was under the impression that Epic was a stand-alone book (No sequel...Apparently it has one, Saga...) so I started with that. Nonetheless, I'm only partially into the book and it's quite good. And especially since this is a video game fansite, I'd think a good amount of people here might like it. The author is Conor Kostick, took me forever to find that out.

And to be honest, there are way too many choices. The list I made of possible books to get was pretty long. That's the thing about fantasy, it's fantasy, so there are endless possibilities. :) It was hard to pick, I think I'm going to end up reading all of them eventually though. But some of the books are incredibly long, doubt I can finish the Sword of Truth this summer. I think that, and the Wheel of Time, will be all I read this upcoming (Ugh) school year.

And wow...I had no idea that the Golden Compass was part of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I've heard so much about it...Another "must try", I guess.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I LOVE His Dark Materials. Probably the best books I've ever read. Changed my views on the entire world, to be honest. I don't understand why people thought he was anti-religion, that book really made me know my religion even better.

I agree with that. I don't see how the trilogy is anti-religion. Anti-christian/catholic? Yes, but the book still supports theism. I mean, there is no scientific explanation behind Dust, there is no scientific explanation of Daemons, no scientific explanation of the Alethiometer, no explanation of the Subtle Knife. This thing is pure fantasy.

I do understand why people got mad at it for being anti-christian. The books went and pretty much out-right said that the Church was corrupt, evil, and based on the lies of an angel (That same angel being viewed as a God and the creator, who in turn was portrayed as corrupt and evil).

So the book is controversial, DONT TAKE AWAY FROM BASIC COMPONENTS OF THE BOOKS I mean, this book could have made a great movie, if it was directly translated from paper to film, not diluted so that it lost half it's meaning. Keep the Magisterium having the appearence of the Catholic church, keep the violence and gore of the books (The biggest worries were that the movies promoted the books, which in turn promote anti-catholicism). Keeping the violence and gore would raise the target age, meaning that the book would be better suited for teenagers, and I personally think that us teenagers are pretty much decided on where in general we stand, along with that we know that what we would be seeing in this movie isn't true. Since the target age is raised, that should mean you'd be able to keep more of the basic ideas of the books.

I loved the books of His Dark Materials, but will never see the movie adaptations. Like in the Inheritence series, the trailers turned me off based on just how much was changed from these great books to the movies.

I think that, and the Wheel of Time, will be all I read this upcoming (Ugh) school year.

And wow...I had no idea that the Golden Compass was part of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

I think The Wheel of Time will take you a mighty long time to read. I'm into the 8th book, and I think I got the the first book two and a half years ago (I must point out that on average I read casually). There are 11 books, the twelfth and final book is supposedly being written, but I'm not sure how good that will turn out, Robert Jordan died before he started writing it (Fortunately he left detailed notes on it). I think that the total pages in the series is very approximately 8,250 pages, plus the final book.

Incredibly detailed series. Just a tip, try to get a good idea of each character before you move on from the description, there are times when reading that I get lost because I can't remember who was who.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Without sounding arrogant, the book is called 1984, and I would hardly call it fantasy.

No, you're absolutely right. I just happened to hit the wrong key (I was only a key off though, not too bad), and since I had just received news dinner was ready, I didn't go through and check again to see if I missed anything. My bad #-o

I've always loved Lord of the Flies ever since i read it, just so true of humanity nowadays.

I set fire to that book as soon as my teacher said we were done with it. I absolutely hated it..the only worse book I've read in school is The Pearl..

penguingeek3 -

If you're going to read Wizard's First Rule, be prepared to read about 8,000 pages, because there is an extremely high chance you will want to read the rest of the books right away (I started with the sixth book [christmas gift], and I immediately started searching for others by him, which is when I learned about the series). All of the people I recommended the book to did the same lol. It's a really powerful series...It changed my views thoughts on many things.

And you could finish the SoT in the rest of the summer, but I advise against it. It took me a bit over a year to read the whole series (starting at christmas 06 and ending sometime in february of this year). I brought these books to school and probably read more than I did classwork (still managed to improve my gpa by .23 though \' ).

Then again, I went through 2 harry potter books in less than a week (Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince..or mabye it was GoF and OotF, still...). So if you have that much spare time, go ahead, I just rather read slow and carefully and get everything absorbed than speed through it and maybe miss something.

His Dark Materials is definitely worth reading. You could buy that trilogy and read it over the summer (or a few weeks, doubt it would take all summer, maybe 1-2 weeks for me), then get SoT and WoT for the schoolyear. Just try to read all collections at once (like reading all 3 His Dark Materials, then all 12 Sword of Truth, then all 12?...Wheel of Time)..Don't split it up, because you lose too much.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Heh, now I wish I read as fast as I used to.

I read the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit in I think two months, which is upwards of about 2000 pages. I'm predicting each big series (WoT and SoT) will take me about a year. Doesn't sound too bad, I have been at a lack of books to read. Though I guess my reading speed will increase as I go along, who knows, I might finish both in one year.

And I read three Harry Potters in one day once. When I was like 10. And I actually did other things that day...Don't know why or how I did it, but if I like a series/book good enough I'm sure I'd do it.

I guess my goal for the summer is to finish the current 7 Ranger's Apprentice books. I'm pretty sure I can do that...(Depends on if I like the first one though. If I don't like it, I'll probably just get started on SoT :P )

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I LOVE His Dark Materials. Probably the best books I've ever read. Changed my views on the entire world, to be honest. I don't understand why people thought he was anti-religion, that book really made me know my religion even better.

I agree with that. I don't see how the trilogy is anti-religion. Anti-christian/catholic? Yes, but the book still supports theism. I mean, there is no scientific explanation behind Dust, there is no scientific explanation of Daemons, no scientific explanation of the Alethiometer, no explanation of the Subtle Knife. This thing is pure fantasy.

I do understand why people got mad at it for being anti-christian. The books went and pretty much out-right said that the Church was corrupt, evil, and based on the lies of an angel (That same angel being viewed as a God and the creator, who in turn was portrayed as corrupt and evil).

So the book is controversial, DONT TAKE AWAY FROM BASIC COMPONENTS OF THE BOOKS I mean, this book could have made a great movie, if it was directly translated from paper to film, not diluted so that it lost half it's meaning. Keep the Magisterium having the appearence of the Catholic church, keep the violence and gore of the books (The biggest worries were that the movies promoted the books, which in turn promote anti-catholicism). Keeping the violence and gore would raise the target age, meaning that the book would be better suited for teenagers, and I personally think that us teenagers are pretty much decided on where in general we stand, along with that we know that what we would be seeing in this movie isn't true. Since the target age is raised, that should mean you'd be able to keep more of the basic ideas of the books.

I loved the books of His Dark Materials, but will never see the movie adaptations. Like in the Inheritence series, the trailers turned me off based on just how much was changed from these great books to the movies.

Agreed, they didn't even get Lyra's mother's hair color right. Seriously, that's what's known as epic fail.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

What is your favorite book or book series? Thats tough.. Im gonna have to say the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. Its kind of like James Bond, but hes 14 and not fighting the bad guyz while protecting a girl. :roll: The story slowly unravels the mystery of what happend to his parents but theres no way to find out what really happens till you read a secret chapter from the 7th book that is on the internet

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

Heh, now I wish I read as fast as I used to.

I read the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit in I think two months, which is upwards of about 2000 pages. I'm predicting each big series (WoT and SoT) will take me about a year. Doesn't sound too bad, I have been at a lack of books to read. Though I guess my reading speed will increase as I go along, who knows, I might finish both in one year.

And I read three Harry Potters in one day once. When I was like 10. And I actually did other things that day...Don't know why or how I did it, but if I like a series/book good enough I'm sure I'd do it.

I guess my goal for the summer is to finish the current 7 Ranger's Apprentice books. I'm pretty sure I can do that...(Depends on if I like the first one though. If I don't like it, I'll probably just get started on SoT :P )

Dude, read the Sword of Truth series. You'll like it so much more than anything else you picked out. I can guarantee that.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Recently I've been reading more historical records,mainly on Alexander the Great or Erik Thorvaldson...though I recently read Dragons of a Fallen Sun,its a DragonLance thing.God damn Weiss and Hickman do it again!

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Hm, well, regarding the time it takes to read, I started WoT about a month ago and I'm halfway through book 8 now. Although I had two 17-hour car rides for the first two books. I'll finish the series (minus book 12 of course) in the next few weeks, in all likelihood. If you started now, you would probably be able to make it through most of the books before school starts, and any you have left might be a good thing to take slower so you won't have a humongous wait for the last one. Then again, you could drag them all out, but I personally dislike that even if it makes waiting for the next book shorter.

p2gq.jpg

Multiples. Dragonriders of pern series, The Eldest series, Harry potter, Cirque du Freak, The golden compass/The Subtle knife/ The amber spyglass.

aah.png

aah.png
aah.png

aah.png

People in glass houses should shower in the basement.

1. The Bartimaeus trilogy. I mean, who can't love Bartimaeus?

2. His Dark Materials <3:

3. The Chronicles of Narnia, THE ORIGINAL ONES. <3:

4. A Series of Unfortunate events, still wonder what's in the sugar bowl :x

Lordtunkuta.png

1. The Bartimaeus trilogy. I mean, who can't love Bartimaeus?

It is epic fail that so few people have read those books, much less mentioned them on this thread.

They have a place on my headboard with all my favorites.

Never knew what happened in the last Series of Unfortunate events book. Can someone tell me?

Absolutely nothing. No questions answered, no closure on any characters other than the Baudelaires and the Count, and even for them hardly worth calling that. I wanted to burn the book when I was finished, I was so pissed.

p2gq.jpg

Ha got up to like the 9-10th I think in that series but then reading became a chore.

1st book was brilliant though.

Other series ive enjoyed have been the Edge Chronicals although ive only read 3 out of a unfinished 12.

Best of all the Harry Potter series. Im slowly getting though reading them for a 2nd time, found the series brilliant and the ending as well. Cant wait for HBP out in November.

Please click below to help with my ICT A Level, for which I have to monitor my website for 8 weeks, hits and feedback welcome.

http://www.chauncystweb.co.uk/sm

Feedback page now up and working.

After I'm done with Dragons of a Fallen Sun I'm re-reading Portrait of Dorian Gray.Awesome book for sure.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy, trilogy of 5....

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Life, the Universe and Everything

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Mostly Harmless

sig4.png