Your favorite book/book series

IeatWindex

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but wonder if the reason so many people like Harry Potter is because of the acceptability of it, and not because of the prose. Of course this is true for many books, but they might stand up better under scrutiny.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

^You're Taiwanese?Can I get some Jay Chou songs in Han Yu Pin Yin?I'm trying to improve =P

:lol: Jay Chou...Only relatively famous person I've ever met...

And I kind of agree with Lateralus. I don't think that many people like Harry Potter for the story. It's light fantasy, so it can be appealing to everyone. I also think that it has to do with the length of the books. Long books tend to be good. And since Lord of the Rings, Sword of Truth, Wheel of Time, and the like aren't as widely known (Except LotR...Or are they? I've never heard of SoT or WoT before this thread. :wall: ), Harry Potter is the long, epic story. I guess.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Hp series, like most.

Also like reading the "Horrible Histories" books :P

And a few years ago I was really interested in the "Deltora Quest" series, though I don't read it now, I read the whole series about 20 times :D

Oh and the ever-increasingly inaccurately named trilogy of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy :P

Doomy edit: I like sheep

I can't help but wonder if the reason so many people like Harry Potter is because of the acceptability of it, and not because of the prose. Of course this is true for many books, but they might stand up better under scrutiny.

People like Harry Potter because it's a fun and original story that combines fantasy elements in a way that's never been done before, and in a world that readers can actually relate to. JK Rowling is a good writer when it comes to creating a magical world and believable and likeable characters. The prose is not outstanding, in fact it's not even particularly great. But it doesn't need to be; the writing is solid and serves its purpose as a way to tell the story that everyone loves.

And I've never really seen the prose style affect anyone's liking of a book unless they are particularly well-read or have an interest in writing themselves. Take Inheritance as an example.

p2gq.jpg

People like Harry Potter because it's a fun and original story that combines fantasy elements in a way that's never been done before, and in a world that readers can actually relate to. JK Rowling is a good writer when it comes to creating a magical world and believable and likeable characters. The prose is not outstanding, in fact it's not even particularly great. But it doesn't need to be; the writing is solid and serves its purpose as a way to tell the story that everyone loves.

And I've never really seen the prose style affect anyone's liking of a book unless they are particularly well-read or have an interest in writing themselves. Take Inheritance as an example.

Did you forget to finish the sentence?I'm taking Inheritance as an example,but for what?

So I take I'm particularly well-read and have an interest in writing...Because I really got pissed off at her style.Its very little plot,more day-to-day things.If I wanted that,I'd read a damn diary!Really,it got worse after Azkaban (Goblet onwards,really disliked) and the final nail for the coffin was the last half of Hallows.It was just a bit stupid that after 7 books coincidentally you realise the cloak is a (Hallow?).No mention about how long cloaks last till then.At all.

When I read the parts where the wand and the stone were found it sounded a little rushed for me.I think it was after Fenrir?Yeah rushed rushed rushed.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I'm going to come out and agree with everyone on this thread that has said Stephen King.

Currently finishing up book 4 of The Green Mile, and he's the only author I've ever seen that actually makes you care what happens to the characters.

Apparently you haven't read many books. Hell, even Harry Potter, as dull as the books were, kept me reading because I wanted to see who won and how, and what happened to everyone (although the ending was rather predictable, she still managed to make me read all 7 books.

I'm just expressing my opinion. I do read many books a year, but in all honesty I stopped reading HP early into the series, around 3 or 4, because I really never cared what happened to Harry, but...

[hide=Here be Spoilers]I haven't met anyone yet who has read the Green Mile and not had their heart break for Eduard Delacroix, Mr. Jingles, and John Coffey.[/hide]

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

And a few years ago I was really interested in the "Deltora Quest" series, though I don't read it now, I read the whole series about 20 times :D

Deltora as in Lief and Jasmine and the Shadowlands? I picked up a book with 3 books inside of it named "Deltora Shadowlands" Thought it was the beginning of the series, but explains why the characters were talking abou past adventures.

GG.gif

Did you forget to finish the sentence?I'm taking Inheritance as an example,but for what?

An example of readers enjoying the book despite the prose. Inheritance has legions of die-hard fans despite copious amounts of purple prose, thesarus rape, and forced dialogue.

p2gq.jpg

Favorite book: Eldest or The Deathly Hollows

Favorite series: Harry Potter, but I like to read individual stories more so than actual series

Favorite genre: Fantasy Style Role-playing genre. Knight, dragons, demons, angel, wizards = awesomeness that can't be beaten.

And you just can't beat the fanservice of animes like this :thumbsup: whether it be really hot guys or girls with oversized breast (some of it's funny but gets old after a while -.- )

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

By far the best series (actualy its more like 2) are the Belgariad and the Maloreon. They are 2 sub series since they both have there own major plot and conclusion but are actualy about all the same people and have a continues grand overplot. Each one is 5 books and each book is about 300 pg at least (I think). Long books/series is also important to me becvause I read to fast. Just awsome books. I have a great preferance for fantasy or science fiction to a point where I rarely read anything else.

Absolutely brilliant series, found it kinda by accident, a friend lent me Belgarath The Sorcerer, really enjoyed it, so i bought Polgara The Sorceress, really enjoyed that too. ::'

So i went and bought the entire Belgariad and Malloreon series. A great read for people who like, say, Lord Of The Rings.

Pretty dark in places, and very funny.

Tankian88.png

rssig1fp3.png

Well I reread Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Can someone please tell me what was so bad about the ending, i couldn't find a problem with it. :|

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

It's so predictable and cliche. Played right into the hands of what everybody expected, she seemed to decide to go for the money rather than the creativity and originality she made in the earlier books.

Of course, she could have done something crazy, nobody would have known. They'da just bought it because of the series.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

my favorite book series is artemis fowl. there are currently 7 books in this series. all written by eoin colfer.

Artemis Fowl...

The one where he rescues dad...

Eternity Code...

Opal...

That code thing...dunno,special edition...

And Time Paradox...

I count 6...

devilgod.jpeg

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Of course, she could have done something crazy, nobody would have known. They'da just bought it because of the series.

Like it was all a dream. :twss:

She could've made Voldemort actually be Harry's dad. Or uhh...His mom. That would've been epic.

For the record, I'm halfway done with Wizard's First Rule. Started a week ago...It's getting good.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

She could've made Voldemort actually be Harry's dad. Or uhh...His mom. That would've been epic.

For the record, I'm halfway done with Wizard's First Rule. Started a week ago...It's getting good.

Nah,StarWars...

I would say...Riddle was bullied by James or his ancestors.The confrontation would be great where Riddle reveals this.Though I have wiped much memory of Horrible Poopy from my mind,so that may be impossible...

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Harry Pottter's good, but waaaay over rated imo.

Some random fiction series I like:

His Dark Materials, Phillip Paulman

Chronicals of Ancient Darkness, Michelle Paver

The Alex Rider Series, Anthony Horowitz.

That's all I can think of atm.

As for non-fiction, Horrible Histories ftw :P .

Nah,StarWars...

I would say...Riddle was bullied by James or his ancestors.The confrontation would be great where Riddle reveals this.Though I have wiped much memory of Horrible Poopy from my mind,so that may be impossible...

But that wouldn't fit in with the 6th book, Riddle liked to hurt people. He would be the one bullying not the one being bullied.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010