Your favorite book/book series

IeatWindex

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I found a link on CNN that linked me to another page, which sent me to another link...And I found this. Now, I haven't read the series, but still...Interesting. Wonder how it'll turn out, as successful as LotR, or as unsuccessful as Eragon.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

• 4 months later...

The Warlord Chronicles trilogy by Bernard Cornwell is a wonderful twist on Arthurian myth, set in a more believable 5th century Britain. It's told from the perspective of Derfel Cadarn, a soldier who rose from the rank of spearman to become one of Arthur's trusted warlords, and then converted to Christianity and became a monk in his old age.

I will say, though, that if you're looking for a traditional high-fantasy Arthurian tale, you should probably look elsewhere: Cornwell's Britain is a crumbling husk of Roman civilization, facing collapse under the weight of invading Saxons and internal strife. Magic takes a background role, and it's more ritualism than anything; a few druids, including Merlin, still exist, but it's unclear whether or not they actually have, or have ever had magic at their disposal.

When every man is torn apart

With nightmares and with dreams

Will no one lay the laurel wreath

When silence drowns the screams?

sirstickykey.png

Any books by Tom Clancy. That man is a genius.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

Hm... as far as series go, my favorites are J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, Cate Tiernan's Sweep series, and Tamora Pierce's The Circle of Magic, The Circle Opens, The Circle Reforged, and her Protector of the Small series (That's, uh, four seperate series. She's my favorite author >.>)

Also, I really enjoyed reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

I could keep going and going... I'll stop.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

^^^His splinter cell books are good.

I personally love the James Bond series, the newest ones are pretty good.

Alex Rider is pretty good, I just read them too damn fast because they are so good...and he's only writing like three more!

Tales of the otori was an amazing series, five books of pure amazing story telling and vicious violence. All about feudal Japan.

The Bourne books are alright.

Dark tower is one of my favorite series.

Hitchiker Guide books are great.

Vampire Hunter D are really good books.

There are these assassin books called the night angel trilogy, I read the first and found it really good (what can be better than the last 200 pages being nonstop violence?). I haven't read the other two but will get into the others eventually.

Alex Berensons books are good...

there are more, but I don't think I need to point out every good book I've read.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

My favorite book series is Faerie Wars. Very well written and entertaining.

Finally got the chance to read Superior Saturday and was throroughly disappointed. Too short, and right when the action was building it suddenly cut off in a huge cliffhanger. The last two books have been pretty disappointing. Lord Sunday had better make up for it, or the series officially ends at Sir Thursday.

Well that's a shame. I've been looking forward to reading it for a while.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Cherub series by Robert Muchamore is brilliant, really well written.

All Eoin Colfer books.

Alex Rider books, shame Horowitz is only doing a few more.

The last of the Sky Pirates and the rest of that series. Pretty epic imo.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Favorite book; Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Favorite Series; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series by Douglas Adams.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -Napoleon Bonaparte

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. -Bobby Henderson

This morning I finished Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy. It was really good, though it doesn't quite take the prize for my favorite story. That still belongs to House of Leaves.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• 3 months later...
My favorite series is either the Wheel of Time books (RIP Robert Jordan) or

i'll miss him :( its a shame that he died when he did he had plans for at least 2 more books in the series and was taking down notes for a prequel series as well.

i'm a fantasy nut and one of my favorite series is Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, its a historical fiction series that takes place durring the napoleonic period but involves dragons as key fighting force durring the war. i've hear a rumor that there are plans to actually make a movie out of it but i can't find out if there's truth to it.

also read the forgoten realms, dragonlance, warhammer, anna mccafery's dragon riders of pern, just starting to read the shannara series now and found out that my mom had all of the original hard covers but gave them all away -.-

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Cherub series by Robert Muchamore is brilliant, really well written.

All Eoin Colfer books.

Alex Rider books, shame Horowitz is only doing a few more.

The last of the Sky Pirates and the rest of that series. Pretty epic imo.

Dude I met Robert Muchamore!! Like, 4 years ago at a local book award thing. He won and I got to see him ^_^ I seriously love his books, I can't tear myself away from them.

Along those lines the Jimmy Coates series is decent, Vampirates by Justin Somper is good too.

Then there's Harry Potter, and one I read for English Lit this year, The curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Facinating perspective on autistics and a good read.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Harry Potter series.

Inheritance series.

Darren Shan saga.

Demonata series.

Maximum Ride series.

The zombie survival guide.

There are probably more but these are what I can think of.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.

Harry Potter series.

Inheritance series.

Darren Shan saga.

Demonata series.

Maximum Ride series.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Darren Shan you enjoy so much? I just really don't get them.

Im currently reading a fictional book called the Golden Bull taken place in Early Mesopotamia during a drought.

Why is it people who are new that revive old topics?

I recently finish The Series of Unfortunate events Series.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

Just finished The Call of Cthulhu and I have to say, it was pretty great. Not much in the way of actual events, but tons of plot at the same time, which from the stories I read before it seems to be the Lovecraft M.O. Going to start The Colour Out of Space tomorrow, which is supposed to be the first story in Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, cosmic forces and all that. I might miss the zombie stuff- Herbert West- Reanimator was great, Cool Air, The Outsider, etc.

Tl;dr: I like me some H.P. Lovecraft.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

Both are amazing <3:

Dark Tower was so amazing because he was able to incorporate almost all his books into it. My favorite author.

Just finished Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule and thought it was pretty good. I'm a fifth a way through the second, still pretty good.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

My favourite single book is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's about an Earthman and his alien best friend who escape the Earth seconds before it is blown up to make way for a hyperspace express route and follows the first chapter of their journey.

My favourite series is David Feldman's Imponderables books. They are a group of books that give answers to some of the questions a person would think about but never expect an answer for, such as "Do elephants jump?".

But my favourite genre is Legal Thriller. John Grisham is an example of an author in the genre, and his books are some of my favourites.

Ironically, neither my favourite book, nor my favourite series, falls under my favourite genre. And my favourite single book isn't part of my favourite series... Odd.

Harry Potter series.

Inheritance series.

Darren Shan saga.

Demonata series.

Maximum Ride series.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about Darren Shan you enjoy so much? I just really don't get them.

I'm not completly sure why I like the Darren Shan books so much, I like alot of things without knowing why I like them, so basically I like them because I just do.

ezegyc.png

That's why you're on the TZDF blackdawn. Even your balls can tear zombies to shreds.