"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

Turns out that my maybe score was all just an elaborate hoax by friends for trying to raise my confidence.

Needless to say, I am still pretty pissed.

And even if I drink myself senseless I can't make myself approach a girl apparently -_- .

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I don't know what is myself. One new friend, probably best friend I've gotten from university (a girl) has said that she hasn't figured out a single thing about what or who I am. She said that I am trying to prove myself too much. I don't know, to whom...

There isn't a single person who knows what I feel or think. Even I don't know it.

And I am hellishly afraid to even discuss anything that I feel with anyone. Only place where I ever open myself is this same forum.

And I don't know what I'd do if anyone that knows me would discover this place.

I do know that I am not the worst dude in the world. And I do know that I could get a girl if I would approach more than a few. Previous party showed that I was approached by girls, for pete's sake!

But so far I have only been rejected. Three times. I aimed at wrong girls, sure, but still.

All I do know now is that I am so freakishly [bleep]ing afraid of rejection.

And that even alcohol doesn't help me with that issue.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Stop focusing on self definition and enjoy the ride of life. I didn't really disocver myself until I got a job, new friends, and started dabbling in drinking/drugs. It wasn't until I stopped paying attention and looked back that I coukd really appreciate who I've grown to be. If you ever want a progress report, I suggest looking back at your old posts from here. Then start a journal, a blog or a video journal and review them after ayear or so. Youll notice patterns. Youll see who you are, and who you're becoming. Besides. All the cool kids have vlogs, right Tim? :p

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I am too lazy to keep a blog or a diary. I have tried it many times.

And I have considered therapy. And I have been suggested therapy by a person I know and by now trust IRL.

It's just that it is my primal fear to call or make any official appointments. I don't know why, but my drivers' license has now been waiting 2 years because of this, and my knee is still [bleep]ed.

Besides, I only moved 2 months ago to a different city and I know nothing about the chances for therapy there.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Talk to your friend or someone in your family you trust. Tell them that you'll set an appointment with service X by date Y. Make it a goal and ask your friend to remind you and encourage you to do it.

When you do it, remind yourself that every time you manage to overcome your feelings and worries; every small victory is a sign of you beating the anxiety step-by-step. It won't happen overnight, but remind yourself regularly that that first action is proof that you can, and will eventually, get through this, and that you're not as helpless as you feel right now.

UPDATE:
she broke up with her BF of 5 months  2 weeks ago, i talked to her a few days ago on Facebookchat for around 4 hours, didnt really have the idea that we clicked or had anything in common, so yeah, i dont really mind anymore hehe

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Honestly if your in high school so I don't know how to exactly go about things but start by just telling her that you think shes really cute and frame your conversations in a flirtatious way. Get to know her, get to know her friends and show your interest. Then make a move once things feel right.

The thing about high school relationships is its all about getting with friends of friends. In college on, you just find girls you like and talk to them then if your feeling like your able to talk to her comfortably tell her that you find her attractive and that you should meet up again sometime. 

Im in college, thanks for the advice :)!

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

Keeping it short and sweet.

Guy was a vague friend of mine since about August before University, met up a few times in first week. Went to his place to play cards with him and a bunch of friends. 

Hadn't seen him for a few weeks and flatmates were too loud one night so I texted him and he replied almost immediately.

We were chatting the entire night and then he came to my place in the morning to use my laptop. We've texted everyday for two weeks and we saw each other last night at a screening of 'Now you see me' - good film. He lives off campus, but not far and he's always with his friends which is also something that makes me find it hard to approach him because you have to get through that barrier first. I only recently started liking him. Anyway we're both going out tonight to the same club and he's said he'll look out for me and I'm aware I'm getting smashed tonight so I will have no confidence issues with dancing with him or anything, but how do I move that confidence from my drunk self to my sober self too?

I'm absolutely fine with guys, but when I start liking one I get very shy and self conscious and end up doing nothing in the end.

How do I get over myself and stop being so unbearably shy sober? It really does stop me acting normally

Practice.

Anyway... try not to get "smashed" tonight. Guys generally don't like wasted girls. And the guys who do...well they only like them for one night.

If you must drink, then drink to the point where you're just slightly tipsy and confident enough to talk to him. This means you should still be able to stand on your own two feet without support of a wall/bar counter/chair. You should also still be able to hold a conversation without slurring. 

Most people are fine with a member of the opposite sex until they start liking them. Getting shy is normal. You feel like everything you do is getting judged by the other person, so you'd rather do too little than too much. Shouldn't stress about that too much. 

Best way to get over being shy around him is one good, sober conversation. Chances are it's going to start out shaky. You're going to say one or two stupid things. But it's fine because he knows you might be nervous, and chances are he's going to be a bit nervous too.

I tend to get very anxious when talking to most new people, whether I like them or not. One coping tactic I learned, which has always served me well, is ask to notice their eye colour early on in the conversation. It works on so many levels.

• Firstly, it takes your mind off your own thought processes. You're not thinking "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD WHAT DO I SAY?!?!", you're actually taking in useful information about the other person. So the anxiety is much less of an issue, and you relax;
  • Secondly, it means you're not having to think about body language. To notice their eye colour, there must be extended eye contact. Which is good, open language which facilitates trust and openness;
  • Thirdly, you can use it and go further. So their eyes are blue (let's say), what about their hair, their clothes, their tattoos... are they wearing anything which gives a hint about their hobbies or past achievements? All of these are perfectly good conversation topics, and they're especially powerful if you use them to compliment the other person;
  • Finally, it means you're paying attention to them. Not the guy behind him. Not your phone. Not what your mate's doing. Not what's on the telly. Not what music's playing. If you're paying attention, you're more likely to pick up on something you can follow up on.

I can't remember having drinked that much that I can't stand without a counter or something. I pass out before.

Damn, one girl leaves me thinking about her for days after each time I see her. A few years older than I am, and I have seen her 2-3 times a year, but we live in the same town now.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Right.

Might have been a polite rejection on Saturday but today he's asked me out.

Really unexpected.

:D

So...

that's what comes of overthinking things....good luck!

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

See I read all that and figured he's just getting his shit in order. All you people are cynics. Have fun maddy, sorry I didn't read until now to balance the scales of opinion.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

See I read all that and figured he's just getting his shit in order. All you people are cynics. Have fun maddy, sorry I didn't read until now to balance the scales of opinion.

Never got a chance to reply either, but these are the bits that stuck out to me:

(which might just be because he's shy, which is something he's told me, and I'm with my friends a lot too)

[...]

In the conversation (the drunken phone call) I suggested meeting up when we're both free during the week "because I never get to see my friends that live off campus" and he said yeah and that he'd have to check his timetable.

...he's shy...

...shy...

SHY

What do shy people do when someone asks to meet up with them? They look for excuses not to meet up.

It's definitely a polite rejection

Well... this is awks...
That's probably the first instance I've ever heard of where that excuse was genuine... And I hear that excuse hundreds of times per month, both in online dating and at work in sales.

Granted, in both cases I do things by putting in the numbers so if someone ever gives me that excuse I immediately forget about them and move on, as opposed to prodding them to ascertain whether or not it's genuine.

77yLQy8.png