"I want a girlfriend/boyfriend", and other such relationship advice

Da_Latios

I am a complete dipshit.

Total dimwit.

Borderline moronic.

Un-[bleep]ing-believably oblivious.

Complete idiot.

Had my first real make-out session tonight.

Already have plans with her for tomorrow.

Guys, remember this (and the following) post(s)?

Page 810 (and the following like 10 pages analyzing the one situation)?

She left the country back then and anything didn't happen then.

Met that girl during the Song Festival about a week ago. She studies in Korea (the "peaceful one") right now. Can't say anything for sure, but something might still come out of it (something already did).

She's probably gonna come and visit me in Norway.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

At this point you could probably use real names, dates and events. There's like 12 people in the world that read this thread

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Just a simple google search for my first name leads to this forum. For the sake of my future, I won't be using real names.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Gotta get you one of these american names lol

Nah, I like that there are just 6 people in the whole wide world with my first name. And my full name is unique.

Something tells me this doesn't help me in Tinder abroad.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

What a wonderful invention tinder is. And uber.

Haven't had a chance to use Uber yet. We have a better solution called Taxify, works all over Eastern Europe and gets official taxis as well as private people.

Tinder still works abroad, though not as well as back home.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I've humored the thought of trying Tinder but then I realize I don't have a Facebook account. Nor friends.

Does Grindr require a Facebook account? But the idea of using Grindr scares me. I don't know why, I don't think it's much different then Tinder... Maybe it's because my sexuality makes me feel uncomfortable in real iife? Honestly, no idea.

Or may I want friends before something more intimate. WHO KNOWS, I SURE DON'T.

ozXHe7P.png

I think theres apps that are directly for finding friends with common interests. My sister was bored once and went to one of these with art as her interest. And admittedly most of the people you meet there are weird but you can meet some cool people. Also from what my sister was saying is avoid being more interested in the topic than in the people around you. Some guy there just felt like arguing about art instead of connecting with people and the rest of the group kinda grew to dislike him.

Anyways you can probably meet some people Vieva like that.

Do you know of any? I'm not savvy with smartphone apps or social media. I mean, I just got an iPhone a month or two ago, lol.

The only one I know of Meetup. I check it once or twice a month but there's nothing that's ever piqued my interest. There's no relevant tech ones, for example.

And even though I don't have any friends, I'm not socially awkward or dumb (thankfully). I can hold a conversation very easily, and can be sociable. It's just I never actively engage with others outside of things like shopping.

ozXHe7P.png

Went on my first tinder date in like a year tonight and now I remember why I stopped doing this lol. Idk she was cool and it was fun talking to her but there was just no physical chemistry in person. Just gets frustrating when this seems to happen with tinder so much lol

• 1 month later...

Going to start off by saying that I kind of already know what I should do, but want to check here first just to get your views and maybe give you guys a laugh.

At a start of the year party for school on Saturday, mostly people I know from the previous year but there was also a handful of people who just started this year. Naturally, in the group of new people was a girl who obviously I was talking to along with everybody else. Everything is going well, just enjoying a nice day and the events of the party. Now, we end up sitting around just shooting the shit and I forget what exactly was said but I must have said some sort of compliment to her. I do remember that she replied with something along the lines of, "Is that because I'm wearing a bikini." It was then, that drunken me thought of the perfect comeback which was, "No, its because I like you."

Now, basically, I'm sure that I'm overthinking things to the max and she probably either doesn't remember that I said what I said, or that if she does she probably is just passing it off as me being drunk and saying things. However, how do you think I should go forward with this? I may have been drunk but I did mean what I said at the time.

Thanks in advance TIF'ers, although I'm pretty sure I've already been given the advice you'll have I'm just really overthinking this all and lacking in experience in both relationships and drinking. This being the first time that I've said/done something drunk that I almost definitely wouldn't have sober. 

Do you want to go out with her? Do you really like her?

If yes, then go for it.

But don't bring up drunken interactions unless she does.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I can't tell if she reacted positively to your retort or not. If she did, you have nothing to worry about because you came off smooth, and acting weird now will only hurt any chance you have of keeping yourself in a dating mind frame for her. If she didn't, then continue to drink and socialize until you forget about it...until you're about to fall asleep in about 8 years and it comes rushing back to haunt you for no reason. But hey, that's part of learning, right?

The no I like you comes off really strong if you don't really know this girl. But at the end of the day it wasn't the best interaction but I would just talk to her again while sober and don't bring up your drunken convo unless she brings it up.

If she isn't really bothered by it then it won't be a big deal otherwise just move on to another girl. Just remember awkwardness is part of life and most of the time its no big deal.

It was a small party, so I'm not sure on your first point I took away there. Otherwise thanks for the advice, totally would have brought up the drunken convo otherwise.

And yeah, it's just that for the most part I'm a major kitty when it comes to girls. But I mean what have I got to lose?

Do you want to go out with her? Do you really like her?

If yes, then go for it.

But don't bring up drunken interactions unless she does.

Thanks for the advice against drunk convo, and the rest I more or less knew. Just, like I said, a major kitty when it comes to girls.

I can't tell if she reacted positively to your retort or not. If she did, you have nothing to worry about because you came off smooth, and acting weird now will only hurt any chance you have of keeping yourself in a dating mind frame for her. If she didn't, then continue to drink and socialize until you forget about it...until you're about to fall asleep in about 8 years and it comes rushing back to haunt you for no reason. But hey, that's part of learning, right?

This advice sounds a lot like what will happen. I really can't remember if she reacted positively or even what happened directly after the conversation. But Yeah, definitely will do the test probably regardless of overall outcome.

Going to start off by saying that I kind of already know what I should do, but want to check here first just to get your views and maybe give you guys a laugh.

At a start of the year party for school on Saturday, mostly people I know from the previous year but there was also a handful of people who just started this year. Naturally, in the group of new people was a girl who obviously I was talking to along with everybody else. Everything is going well, just enjoying a nice day and the events of the party. Now, we end up sitting around just shooting the shit and I forget what exactly was said but I must have said some sort of compliment to her. I do remember that she replied with something along the lines of, "Is that because I'm wearing a bikini." It was then, that drunken me thought of the perfect comeback which was, "No, its because I like you."

Now, basically, I'm sure that I'm overthinking things to the max and she probably either doesn't remember that I said what I said, or that if she does she probably is just passing it off as me being drunk and saying things. However, how do you think I should go forward with this? I may have been drunk but I did mean what I said at the time.

Thanks in advance TIF'ers, although I'm pretty sure I've already been given the advice you'll have I'm just really overthinking this all and lacking in experience in both relationships and drinking. This being the first time that I've said/done something drunk that I almost definitely wouldn't have sober. 

I just want to point out how interesting it is that we get so anxious about being honest with women. Honesty's scary because it's the quickest way to get rejected... but also succeed. Several months ago my friend and I were experimenting with "radical honesty" in our dating lives. We basically just thought it'd be interesting to see what would happen if we were as genuine as possible, even if it meant being crude or upsetting. I got laid a couple of times from it... as a result of telling women straight up within the first 5 minutes of meeting them on a first date "I want to [bleep] you." My friend ended up meeting his current (monogamous) girlfriend at the grocery store by just walking up to her and telling her he thought she was really attractive and wanted to hang out with her... and later on, realizing he wasn't being 100% honest, going on to say "I just want to have sex with you and see where things go"

The flip side of this of course is, not all women are into you, and consequently won't reciprocate :P But in my experience, a lot of them will compliment you for being bold and upfront... especially if you tell them that you didn't want to be manipulative/disingenuous with them or waste each other's time, and that's why you said what you said.

From an ethical and idealistic perspective, it feels liberating to be honest in such ways. But from a realistic and statistical perspective, I still get more first dates and get laid more often by not being that upfront and straightforward... which suggests that there's degrees of honesty, and not everyone wants you to be completely honest. However, being honest like that makes you completely immune to women who are stringing you along and wasting your time.

• Like 4

77yLQy8.png

• 1 month later...

I wonder whether Tinder Gold would be worth the investment.

I'm currently in Auckland, NZ, and I'm just not getting that many matches. To be fair, hardly getting any (although I am not swiping too often either).

Probably being a not too good looking random white guy with a crazy freaky name in a large city takes down your chances in there.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Well, my German friend said he had a similar problem.

The thing is, the girls around here are, quite frankly, easy to get. As is the whole culture here, everything's laid back and shit.

I've seen some pretty crazy stuff going on with local people not batting an eye.

Expectations are different. I've not seen anywhere else on girls' bios them mentioning that they just want a quick [bleep]. Yet that is not something I am after and that is reflected in my bio aswell.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Tinder isn't always the popular app of the area. Bumble is one that sometimes dominates, but as much attention and hype as these apps get, it isn't like a golden ticket to sex land like the media might make you think. Paying for dating app services is more likely to match you to other people who pay for dating services, and -now I'm just guessing here but- if you are willing to pay for Tinder/dating app, you're going to be far more responsive to it. So while paying for it is not the open-social norm, it theoretically at least puts you in the realm of other people who have the same will to try.

• Like 1

I wonder whether Tinder Gold would be worth the investment.

I'm currently in Auckland, NZ, and I'm just not getting that many matches. To be fair, hardly getting any (although I am not swiping too often either).

Probably being a not too good looking random white guy with a crazy freaky name in a large city takes down your chances in there.

Include your height if you don't already and an Estonian flag emoji :thumbup:

IDK what the difference between Tinder Gold and Tinder Plus is but I always used Tinder Plus in the past just for the unlimited swipes, supplemented with my autoswipe app lol.

Never had any luck with Bumble. Not enough people on there compared to Tinder

77yLQy8.png

I would argue that is the most useful skill that could've been developed from playing RS.

Also learning markets fluctuate and don't panic buy/sell or you'll end up like those home owners in Silicon valley who sold at a low price in 09 only to have the same home be triple its 09 value today.

Honestly, there are probably a couple hundred thousand young adults today who understand far more about the stock market now than they might have, just from using the GE

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

• 3 months later...

I noticed this thread hasn't been active for a while.

So there's a question that's been on my mind for some time: whether gender matters in a friendship. This isn't 100% related to relationships, but I thought it fits this thread. I originally posted it on Reddit but also wanted to hear the opinions of my fellow TIF'ers.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a guy who is open to friends of either gender. From what I've heard from most people, gender has no bearing on friendships. However, there have been issues that only come up when the person I interact with happens to be female:

* Shortly after starting my second job, I introduced myself to a girl who had also recently joined. We mostly talked about mundane subjects, such as where she went to school. A minute later, my boss pulled me aside and told me that I should stick to group conversations (as opposed to talking to someone one-on-one) in order to remain "professional." Though he didn't say it was because she was female, he never brought this up when I had similar conversations with male co-workers.

* We invited another family over for dinner a few years ago. Their daughter "C" (who is very close to my age) had planned to come but bailed out at the last minute due to school-related matters. I then posted to her Facebook saying that we missed her and that we should find some other time to catch up. After word got to my mother, she told me to be careful when posting these things because "C" might think I'm interested in her, which wasn't the case.

* There are two other families that we often get together with - let's call them A and B - that still have kids living with them. Family A has a daughter slightly younger than me while family B has a son who is a few years older. When I asked whether family A's daughter was home on our last visit, my mother told me to be careful because she might get the wrong message that I'm romantically into her. She never brought up any concerns about being mistaken for gay when I asked about family B's son.

* There was a guy at my last job that I came to know fairly well. I even invited him over to my house once. Though I've managed to build a strong rapport with a few female co-workers since then, I never felt comfortable asking them to hang out in our personal time, especially considering that they were all in relationships.

I know most people will say gender doesn't matter in a friendship, but I can't help but feel that it does have an effect on how people perceive social interactions. Thoughts?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Due to me being an above average traveller I also have quite a few friends of both genders that are like me. So when I tell my relatives or family about their adventures and how I wanna experience something like that aswell I get some odd looks and questions aswell.

I have to admit I have thought briefly about a few of the female friends sexually aswell, but at the same time it seems I can just bury the thoughts and cherish the friendships.

But seriously, one of my female friends is currently traveling around Kyrgysztan. So jealous.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc