Today...

Leoo

Even at 300 EACH sounds like a good price, from what I understand of the Australian dollar. Houses around here are hella cheap, like 700-900 monthly for home ownership. Shame you need near perfect credit now though.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

You only need good credit if you're planning to take out a loan, renting only requires that you have proof of an income/job.

However, most people believe good credit is harder to get then it actually is because of all the tv commercials and shit that make it sound like everyone has bad credit.

tFtfA.jpg

Well I did say home ownership, Steve. :wink:

But yeah, it is easy to get good credit it just takes time. It just sucks that you could be saving like 500 bucks monthly by buying instead of renting around these parts.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I've been told the best way to build credit is to get a card with a low limit and use it like a debit card for a couple years, always paying it off on time.

Pretty much: buy often and pay on time.

But to avoid further confusion what I'm talking about let me tell you guys a story:

Years ago my parents took equity from the house, making the cost go from 280k to 450k. They used that money to pay off debt and buy my dad's 18 wheeler where he created his business. Unfortunately 2008 come around and dropped the value of our house down to like 300k, close to the original. Scumbag Bank of America refused to adjust our mortgage payments to the new price, even with us leaving (this is what I don't get, they were going to sell it at 300k price to us or another buyer, so whats the difference I don't [bleep]ing know). So they short-sold it and lost their high credit rating.

So now we're renting at $1400 a month were all the houses around here pay their mortgage $700-900 monthly. That's a $500 savings. In about 2-3 years their credit will be good to buy again but that's quite a stretch when you think you can be saving 500 bucks monthly if Bank of America weren't such [wagon].

Word of advice: never take equity from your home, don't trust banks, and never vote for eco-friendly laws in the state of California. :wink:

siggy3s.jpg

Got my textbook for computer science today (which is essentially Java for beginners). There is no way I will not be reading way ahead of what we are doing in class, though that might not be a bad thing. Definitely not going to absorb all of this on the first go through. They did make a nice choice with the text book. It is quite clear and thorough, which is exactly what I need. My only beef with it is that the appendices are all online only for some reason, so I will have to save them all at some point so I don't lose them (they are all PDF though, which makes saving them and printing them off pretty easy).

Someone down the hall is listening to "Good Time" by Owl City/Carly Rae Jepsen on repeat kind of loudly... Aw, it stopped.

Would do my engineering homework for next week, but my prof doesn't post the slides until the middle of the day after, and doesn't show them long enough in class for us to actually reasonably write down the assignment. Of course she spent the entire hour and a half teaching us how to use Excel and ctrl+c... I was thoroughly disgusted that someone [my parents] are paying $1500 for that. (3 credit class, $500 a credit)

Got my textbook for computer science today (which is essentially Java for beginners). There is no way I will not be reading way ahead of what we are doing in class, though that might not be a bad thing. Definitely not going to absorb all of this on the first go through. They did make a nice choice with the text book. It is quite clear and thorough, which is exactly what I need. My only beef with it is that the appendices are all online only for some reason, so I will have to save them all at some point so I don't lose them (they are all PDF though, which makes saving them and printing them off pretty easy).

I have not yet used my intro to programming book, and it's been 3 weeks. Google is so much easier, and quite frankly, better.

In other news, this happened at my high school yesterday. The people who dressed up for the skit were a bunch of my Speech friends. It was pretty awesome. I wish I was back in high school all of the sudden.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

My school is pretty ghetto and I'm taking Human Sexuality at a 100 level. 109? something like that. Point is, sassy black girls talking about sex is the funniest thing ever. And I get to live it every Wednesday for the rest of the semester :D

Actually excited.

• Like 2

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Nah, I've tried to teach myself programming before, and having everything in one place, start to finish, is invaluable for me. Also, I find books much easier to read than computer screens. I read books faster, more comfortably (since I have other options than 'computer chair'), and I can go back and find things faster in a book. If I used google, I would just be looking things up on an as needed basis, rather than sitting down with the book and reading as much of it as possible, and occasionally going over to the computer to test things out.

Seriously, [bleep] universities that require you to buy a $170 textbook for a class that you rarely use just to get an online pass so you can do online assignments. If all my classes are like this next year when I start university I'm going to be screwed for money.

• Like 1

Nah, I've tried to teach myself programming before, and having everything in one place, start to finish, is invaluable for me. Also, I find books much easier to read than computer screens. I read books faster, more comfortably (since I have other options than 'computer chair'), and I can go back and find things faster in a book. If I used google, I would just be looking things up on an as needed basis, rather than sitting down with the book and reading as much of it as possible, and occasionally going over to the computer to test things out.

Fair enough, especially if you're teaching yourself.

Well, not in theory, but in practice I am impatient yes. Also, I find that this might not come as naturally to me as I am accustomed to, so to be on the safe side I would rather review all the material ahead of time, so that I have plenty of time to figure stuff out.

And I've never heard of being required to buy a text book. Yes, courses can be set up to make it exceedingly difficult to get by without (the biggest offenders are coursebooks, which are a cross between textbook and workbook, but these are pretty rare since they have to be constructed for a specific course), but I've never actually had to buy books. I normally pick up older editions for cheep. Most of the profs I have had will actively try to make it as easy as possible to use older editions, up to reserving a couple of the text books so that people in the course can sign them out for an hour or two (useful for checking the differences between editions in particular).

The worst are courses that don't really use their textbook at all (though to be fair, a lot of the time your supposed to be reading it before class so that material isn't new). Always makes you feel like money wasted.

I'm taking a first year university chemistry class through my high school. It covers the exact same course material as the university course, and we do weekly labs at the university. Part of the class is online assignments, and to get to the assignments you need an access code which can only be acquired with a new textbook. We also need to buy a lab workbook, which I haven't seen the price of yet.

I might drop it though, it's going to be over $500 with the books and my mother wants me to pay for it, and she'll pay me back if I pass. Plus it affects my university GPA and I'd rather focus on getting decent grades in my other classes so I can hopefully get direct admission into the UofM engineering school.

There are courses where you can't get older editions for cheaper simply because there are too many changes. Such is the case in the course I'm currently taking, and the one I previously graduated from (programming, and currently doing networking and security).

In other news, this happened at my high school yesterday. The people who dressed up for the skit were a bunch of my Speech friends. It was pretty awesome. I wish I was back in high school all of the sudden.

Wait, what. That link says that the Aurora shooter was dressed up as The Joker, I'm positive that the other reports on it I've read said that he dressed up with a mask like the one Bane wears.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Wait, what. That link says that the Aurora shooter was dressed up as The Joker, I'm positive that the other reports on it I've read said that he dressed up with a mask like the one Bane wears.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/aurora-dark-knight-suspect-joker-cops/story?id=16822251&singlePage=true#.UFHpLo1mTkc

According to that, he didn't exactly dress as the Joker, just dyed his hair and claimed that was who he was. He was wearing a gas mask when he went into the theater.

I'm taking a first year university chemistry class through my high school. It covers the exact same course material as the university course, and we do weekly labs at the university. Part of the class is online assignments, and to get to the assignments you need an access code which can only be acquired with a new textbook. We also need to buy a lab workbook, which I haven't seen the price of yet.

I might drop it though, it's going to be over $500 with the books and my mother wants me to pay for it, and she'll pay me back if I pass. Plus it affects my university GPA and I'd rather focus on getting decent grades in my other classes so I can hopefully get direct admission into the UofM engineering school.

Which M? I'm at UofMinnesota engineering

2s0cxth.png

University of Michigan? I've just started my freshman year there, doing a computer science major through its college of engineering and it's pretty fantastic haha, good luck to you man :P

Speaking of which, if anybody had noticed my disappearance, well that's what I've been up to. God college is so much better than high school. Only problem I've been having is trying to find something to get involved in since a lot of the extracurriculars here are crazy competitive, and as such I haven't really made very many friends here yet but...I know it'll get better with time and me actually joining some clubs. I'm supposed to hear back from this drum group I auditioned for tonight so I'm sort of nervous for that, but if not I'm sure something else will eventually work out so I'm not freaking out about anything.