Today...

Leoo

The thing that slows me down is my reading speed - when copying from a document, I tell myself what I'm reading in my head like a storyteller. I type as fast as I read, I can spell fairly well so I don't need to think about that, just what I'm reading is all. If I try to read on ahead, my typing tends to be faster. If I'm just typing out of my head like in chat, I'm probably faster, as fast as I can think to say it. Tested I'm 63wpm with 100% accuracy but not in a test I go about 70 - nerves I guess. So being a good speller and reading fast I would say affects typing speed.

I learned on an old manual typewriter when I was 14, the graduated keys you had to pound and a manual carriage return with a bell, no enter key. Couple years later I was on an electric typewriter which was still graduated, but some of them had an enter key and some had a backspace key with a digital display window above the top row. On those I averaged about 40 wpm.

Several years later I did a refresher and the class had all computers. The other girls complained I was too loud, I was pounding the keys like I would a typewriter, and I was making lots of mistakes. The teacher got me to slow right down to about 20 wpm and retrain my fingers to squash up, flat, and press lightly. After a couple of days doing that I sped right up to 80. I've slowed down with age and lack of need.

So. Spelling, reading, squashing up, flat, and pressing lightly .. as well as cutting your fingernails short!

Draping a tea towel over your hands helps to stop you from looking at the keys while learning.

I love typewriters. Beautiful machines. Not sure if it's still around, I know the proper typewriter isn't, but we had an electric one that had a ball with all the letters on it, and that's what it would use . The nice thing about that was that you could change the font by giving it a new ball, and it was at least as entertaining to watch, if in a different way.

Copying is a pain. I can create thoughts much faster than I can read, though I suppose I could learn to read faster if it ever became important. Mostly on that front I have feared that I might apply it to novels, which would suck a lot of the fun out of them I think. The two big ones I know are teaching your eyes to move consistently, which can be done by moving a pen or pencil under the line as you read (to keep yours eyes from locking on each word individually), and learning to no read aloud in your own head. Would be nice to reliably read faster when I want to, though I have some ability to drop the internal dialogue. Actually just trying it with this post, the tracing, and I think the trick would be getting yourself to remember anything while reading like that.

oh, I mean flat as in sitting flat on the tips, like you're going to scratch down a blackboard or something.

Randox, I can't help reading aloud in my head, it's a lifetime habit, and I think it's probably good for proofreading the original document as I'm copying it. If you're going to be writing novels, you'll probably be copying out your handwritten notes. One of those audio typing machines would be good for you, then you could tape your thoughts, spoken, then play it on the audio typing machine, which have a speed adjuster, slowing down or speeding up the recorded voice to suit your typing speed. Did they call it a dictaphone? I used to enjoy those.

Those were a very interesting five days. What I didn't mention before I left is that Dour Festival is known around Belgium for being a paradise for drugs. It lived up to its reputation: I've seen people looking for LSD and people selling it, along with a selection of random drugs, someone trying to trade his ketamine for some MDMA, people sniffing coke on the festival site, etc. I'm thinking the percentage of totally sober people there was about 5-10%, everyone else was under the influence of whatever drug they felt like.

The festival itself was really hot, and since we had to spend most of our afternoons on the camping with barely any shade it made things really hard for us. Good thing we had hippie neighbours who didn't mind letting us sit on their shade covered spot after they left the camping site, usually in the early afternoon. I've never sweat as much as I did there, even just sitting still in the sun had pearls of sweat forming on my chest. I haven't showered since I left on Wednesday by the way, I must smell like shit. We didn't see that many artists (the heat played a part in that), and the ones we did see ranged from meh to great. In the last category I'd put Sub Focus, The Smashing Pumpkins, As I Watch You From Afar (I also discovered post rock while there), Skindred (at least the last 10 minutes since we had come from a different artist we wanted to see) and Alborosie.

Now to adapt back to the normal life.

wow Smashing Pumpkins are rather oldish, 90's or maybe even late 80's? Are they American? And I can't remember what their songs were. Were they grunge?

When I was a lass ..

my dad was the Australian general manager for Seimens, who made telex machines back then, before mobile phones. He was a communications engineer, specializing in microwave. He got sent to Munich to learn about the company for a few months, and when he came back he brought me a ginger heart, an edelweiss locket and a 'Katie Kitten'. I know that's a different country but it's next door isn't it.

They started out in the late 80s but didn't become well known until the early 90s, are from Chicago, Illinois, and I believe are considered Alternative Rock, though I could be wrong on that last one.

And while I'm here, I found out my sister hasn't been taking the dog out before going to work lately, so the poor thing goes from ~10pm until whenever I get up the next day. As such, I've been trying to get up early. She says the dog "won't get up" but she doesn't even try to make her anymore.

So is it like the change between RSC->RS2, meaning...just graphical improvements?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Those were a very interesting five days. What I didn't mention before I left is that Dour Festival is known around Belgium for being a paradise for drugs. It lived up to its reputation: I've seen people looking for LSD and people selling it, along with a selection of random drugs, someone trying to trade his ketamine for some MDMA, people sniffing coke on the festival site, etc. I'm thinking the percentage of totally sober people there was about 5-10%, everyone else was under the influence of whatever drug they felt like.

The festival itself was really hot, and since we had to spend most of our afternoons on the camping with barely any shade it made things really hard for us. Good thing we had hippie neighbours who didn't mind letting us sit on their shade covered spot after they left the camping site, usually in the early afternoon. I've never sweat as much as I did there, even just sitting still in the sun had pearls of sweat forming on my chest. I haven't showered since I left on Wednesday by the way, I must smell like shit. We didn't see that many artists (the heat played a part in that), and the ones we did see ranged from meh to great. In the last category I'd put Sub Focus, The Smashing Pumpkins, As I Watch You From Afar (I also discovered post rock while there), Skindred (at least the last 10 minutes since we had come from a different artist we wanted to see) and Alborosie.

Now to adapt back to the normal life.

Glad to hear Skindred still exists. And to think I was almost on their street team haha

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Going to the Red Sox game tomorrow, should be pretty fun. I've never been to a pro baseball game and while baseball isn't really my thing, the seats are great and my uncle will probably buy me whatever food I want. Hanging out with my cousin before that although all the ideas for plans we had have been ruined since the rock climbing gym we were going to go to doesn't open until 4, and it's supposed to pour tomorrow so hiking isn't an option either. We'll probably just get food or something.

Other than that my time away has been pretty good. I did some work for my grandparents today, but yesterday and the day before I water skied and more or less [bleep]ed around at the lake. Unfortunately being only 20 instead of 21 has meant I can't take advantage of all the beer I could ever want to drink. Which is kind of sad but what can you do, right?

Edit: Also, I've been using spotify for a little over a week now. It's pretty awesome, I didn't want to use it before because it had to be linked to your facebook account, but it doesn't anymore! So if that was stopping anyone else from using it, check it out or something.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

So is it like the change between RSC->RS2, meaning...just graphical improvements?

Apparently there's a lot of new interface things and a change of era. Or something.

Interface/sound improvements and a story event. A big part of it was delayed for a while as well.

Ah right, I briefly remember reading something about that...Guthix's dead or something?

Just means the armies of Zamorak can march upon Gliendor! :twisted:

...When was the last time someone said those words in OT? :twss:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Ah right, I briefly remember reading something about that...Guthix's dead or something?

Just means the armies of Zamorak can march upon Gliendor! :twisted:

...When was the last time someone said those words in OT? :twss:

Saradomin4lyfe

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Today I ended up working until after midnight and just found out my brother is in the hospital having an emergency appendectomy. Not the best Monday I've ever had...

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Isn't it Gielinor?

Also, I got Spotify before it started requiring facebook. Which is like 2 years ago, I think.

And I [bleep]ing love it.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I found Rapgenius when it had just started, can I join your hipster club?

I once discovered that the Muffin Break at Mandurah Forum made the best pasties I ever ate. I mentioned it to a couple of people. The next time I went there, they were sold out :(

Had a guy come into the office I work at during lunch hour. I was the only one in the front so I had to deal with him. He was shirtless, wearing bright blue basketball shorts and "looking for a job". He started pacing around looking at the front desks. Goes from asking for a job to asking for a referral. When he finally decided to leave, he grabbed a handful of candy, started to walk out, turned around and hit the service bell multiple times like a child, then left.

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

Had a guy come into the office I work at during lunch hour. I was the only one in the front so I had to deal with him. He was shirtless, wearing bright blue basketball shorts and "looking for a job". He started pacing around looking at the front desks. Goes from asking for a job to asking for a referral. When he finally decided to leave, he grabbed a handful of candy, started to walk out, turned around and hit the service bell multiple times like a child, then left.

He could have been a "Mystery Shopper", ya know, to test your customer service skills and report back to the company heads.

He could have been a "Mystery Shopper", ya know, to test your customer service skills and report back to the company heads.

Except I work for my dad/grandfather's business :P

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]