Today...

Leoo

Moving out in just under 48 hours.

Excited.

I'm hoping you've found fast friends and you're too drunk to have updated us. ;)
More in the fast friends, mugged and now in hospital with amnesia boat here...

Got Bell Fibe installed today, and 3 hours after I unplugged everything and plugged back the current ISP's stuff. Good thing I hadn't canceled yet with my current ISP. Bell service is so bad, and they don't know their own stuff. Also when I called technical support the tech didn't even know what I was talking about and didn't know his own ui. Going to try not having to pay for a month, for the 3 hours I used their service.

Today my ex and I took our eldest and some his friends to the charity screening of Serenity here in Ottawa for his birthday. I wasn't sure what they would think of the event, but they had a great time and really enjoyed the movie.

I won a cast photo for knowing what the last episode of Firefly to be aired was (it was the pilot, which only accentuates how badly Fox screwed with it). I was honestly surprised no one else in an entire theatre of fanboys knew that.

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Nice to know Bell treats everyone like dirt, whether they shell out for fibre or not. Get to say goodby to them this week, moving to Eastlink who gave us a much better deal, and aren't famous for the worst customer service in the country. To easily illustrate the difference in my expectations, when I called them to change the installation date, I was on hold for all of 15 seconds, and it was not a hassle to change anything. With Bell, I would probably be on hold for at least 15 minutes, and then put me on hold for another 15 while they made the change.

I'd be interested to know how the fibreop messed up so quickly. That seems like an impressive feat.

Nice to know Bell treats everyone like dirt, whether they shell out for fibre or not. Get to say goodby to them this week, moving to Eastlink who gave us a much better deal, and aren't famous for the worst customer service in the country. To easily illustrate the difference in my expectations, when I called them to change the installation date, I was on hold for all of 15 seconds, and it was not a hassle to change anything. With Bell, I would probably be on hold for at least 15 minutes, and then put me on hold for another 15 while they made the change.

I'd be interested to know how the fibreop messed up so quickly. That seems like an impressive feat.

It's not fiberop that messed up so quickly, I was on fiberop for 2 years because I didn't have a better choice in NB, but now that I'm in Quebec, even if it's $40 more I'm staying with Videotron. Bell's Fibe material is incomplete and you can't play multiplayer games on Fibe because they close the nat and don't give you the option to open it. Just to get a tech I waited 30 minutes and I got an incompetent one that didn't even know his router interface. And you know what, what I found on the internet is most stuff has to be done on their side. Even port forwarding doesn't work on their routers. With Videotron there's no waiting time on the phone, you get someone right away. I think the better quality of the material and connection as well as the much better service of Videotron is worth the $40 more I have to pay per month.

First lecture of the year, spelt bread as bred... This better not be a sign haha.

First lecture of the year, and my technical nursing vocabulary has extended to taking notes such as: "Don't give IV fluids just after the heart's crapped up".

• Like 2

Wow, I would not be impressed if they handed me a router that couldn't port forward. Same with screwing around with the NAT. That's actually part of my beef with Bell right now is that, after we lost our cable and ended up with a slightly lower connection (we had some extra speed to handle the TV), we also ended up with a...very simplistic and unreliable router with an inferior broadcast strength. I am hoping that Eastlink has something a bit better. Functional would be a good start, something that doesn't make a printer look reliable. Range is a semi-moot point, we have an extender.

Good day of classes. Either I got less sleep than I thought though, or I just had very poor quality sleep. Woke up nicely, and was practically a zombie by the time I was walking to class. Think I peaked again sometime between maths.

Before I forget, in English Class today our professor read a bit from Beowulf to us in Old English. I've never heard it spoken before; more Scandinavian than I was expecting (as I understand it, Icelandic would probably be the most similar). Pretty much total gibberish to me, except for the odd word that has apparently not changed at all from old to modern English (in, him, and under are a few examples), but was still kind of neat.

Things like that are why I've never let Bell replace the original modem they gave me with one of the modem/router combos. My D-Link router works just fine thank you, and I have full control over it.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

That's pretty much how I'm installed with Videotron, they just installed me a bridge that converts coax to Ethernet, my own D-Link router does everything. I'm going to repeat myself here, but that $40 I'd have saved with Bell isn't worth it if I'm going to get the service I had. Apparently I'm not going to have to pay for a month of Bell because I only was connected for 1 day with them. We never know though.

Knowing Bell, they'll just charge you 1/30th of the monthly fee for the day you did use. :lol:

Today I got a letter from the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General that I "was selected...to be considered for inclusion in a Jury Roll"; ie: some day in the next year I might have to report for jury duty. I always wondered how we did that here in Canada. I've been reading up on it though, and if I am selected I might have to try and get out of it. Not because I don't want to do it (I actually do, I've always been interested in the law and this would be an awesome experience), but for financial reasons. Jurors don't get paid squat and while my employer is required by law to keep my job for me, they're not required to pay me (except in Newfoundland and Labrador), so I wouldn't be able to afford to take time off to sit on a jury. Hell, I'd have trouble affording the time off for the week or so of jury selection. I'm going to check with my boss to see if they'll pay me if I do have to go, but otherwise I'm not going to worry too much about it. We don't have too many jury trials in Ottawa.

Jury duty is something I wouldn't mind doing, but yeah, the inconvenience. I feel like it's probably a lot more boring than it sounds once you get to do it.

The technical strand of my course is such a bore. Understanding how computer systems work... One hour lectures where the lecturer speeds through complicated stuff. The lab is better, I can learn in that environment.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Lecturing in general is a pretty poor way of educating someone. It's (mostly) not interactive, and so you don't actually pay attention to what's being said, much less actually make a decent effort to internalize the information. Most university lectures tend to go on for a full hour or two hours, which is too long to concentrate without a break. They're also structured to become progressively more complicated as the lecture goes on, so if you miss a bit at the start, you're basically screwed for the rest of the lecture.

I don't really know why universities still do mandatory lectures. They seem to serve more as a framework to go back on, and even then you just tend to revisit the Powerpoint file anyway, so it's not like you really need to listen to the lecture in the first place. Apart from that, they don't seem to offer anything more than registration classes did at the start of a morning in high school; the register just seems to ensure students are bothering to turn up to uni at all.

I hate you.

On another note, who is now a certified Open Water Diver? :D

Here on this paradise island I decided to have a try at scuba diving. And I [bleep]ing loved it. And so I decided to get the certification. 3-day course, with 4 open water dives. This thing and this place are amazing. I never wanna leave here. Too bad it is so expensive...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

The location of the internet...is Seattle?

Interesting.

I knew it!

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

my physical body has emerged from a 3-week encasement in a solid block of ice, where it pondered the myriad mysteries of the human condition. i have established the answer to the meaning of life. i know whether or not alien life exists on other planets. i could cure cancer, end world hunger and create peace on earth.

but there is one thing that still eludes me

why did my family call my two pairs of grandparents (nanna and grandad) and (grandma and pop) when it should've pretty clearly been (nanna and pop) and (grandma and grandad)?

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

The location of the internet...is Seattle?

Interesting.

I knew it!

He has literally posted where he goes to school before in this thread, and it's in his location info. This is not news.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Apparently tall white guys can get all drinks for free and are quite the catches around here... Average local is like 40 cm's shorter than I am :D

And apparently I was last seen last night at a burger joint with a smokin' hot blonde. I ended the night arriving at my hotel at 1.30 AM alone.

I have no recollection of that. I have no recollection of anything after the first few drinks as I hadn't eaten for 12 hours and had been sober for 3 weeks.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

There's a place where women flock to tall white guys??? Brb, I need to buy a plane ticket.

• Like 2