Today...

Leoo

Actually if you mentioned that you speak Ga, the "what's your tribe" question is far less racist

It's not a racist question in my opinion. My original point was that I was amused by it.

Noxx was the one bringing feeling "offended" into it when I never said I was offended.

Literally if you go back to my post, I didn't say I was offended.

I was just saying explaining why some people might be after the word offended was brought up.

My boyfriend's dad doesn't know I speak any languages other than English and German lol.

I legit never said I was offended, it's actually quite weird that this conversation has started from something that I never said I was?

I ask native americans what tribe theyre from and it starts a conversation about the culture/history/socio-economic situation of their tribe, how they feel about gambling, etc.

I don't get that kind of response though. Black people in America always seem to be so proud of being black, their heritage, etc. But the moment you ask them something actually significant, or meaningful, they find it offensive. I understand what you're saying, because even i wouldn't ask a black person from America what tribe they're from. I just don't understand why it's an offensive thing to ask. Do white people get offended if they're asked what their roots are? I get that a nationality isn't a tribe, but it kind of is. So if someone asks me if i'm half English/Scottish/German/whatever, do i get offended? Should i? 

Just doesn't make sense to me. "I'm proud to be black/indian, but don't ask me anything about it ever." 

nationality isn't a tribe but ethnic group is.

This so many times, and can I please underline again and again that I never once said I was offended.

I know I sound super defensive but it's just making me antsy because when Noxx was like "black people get so offended when you ask a specific thing about them" when 1) after I already said that I was amused by the question, it's turned into a conversation where it's being discussed "Is it racist?" "Is it not racist?" when I never said it was? 

I thought it was amusing, funny, weird, whatever and I'll say it again, to ask what tribe I was from purely based off of me being black (because I wasn't born in Africa, it's a WEIRD  question to ask)

and 2) I'm very open to questions, and if I can't answer them, then I can't answer them.

My mum would be a much more suited person to answer such a question because she was actually born in Africa. Anyway, as long as the spiral conversation didn't happen because people think I'm offended, then great lol.

Race and cultural identity is a very interesting and complex conversation here in America, but I think compared to countries in the EU the heritage roots of those that migrate from Africa (or Middle East, etc) are still 1st or 2nd generations so culturally they still identify strongly with their heritage where as those who have migrated across the Atlantic have already been here for generations and have come to identify as Americans and not so much the color of their skin. 

tFtfA.jpg

What a nightmare working through this shift was... Got a terrible hangover halfway through the day.

At least it is over.

And now I found out I have to be at work at 7 AM tomorrow.

Great!

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I ask native americans what tribe theyre from and it starts a conversation about the culture/history/socio-economic situation of their tribe, how they feel about gambling, etc.

I don't get that kind of response though. Black people in America always seem to be so proud of being black, their heritage, etc. But the moment you ask them something actually significant, or meaningful, they find it offensive. I understand what you're saying, because even i wouldn't ask a black person from America what tribe they're from. I just don't understand why it's an offensive thing to ask. Do white people get offended if they're asked what their roots are? I get that a nationality isn't a tribe, but it kind of is. So if someone asks me if i'm half English/Scottish/German/whatever, do i get offended? Should i? 

Just doesn't make sense to me. "I'm proud to be black/indian, but don't ask me anything about it ever." 

Europe has several ethnic groups

Slavic - most of eastern europe

German - germany, france, england, italy

Celtic - welsh, irish, scottish

Greek

Latin

basque

etc.

middle east has several

arab

jewish

persian

armenian

turkish

kurdish

etc.

You forgot that most Scandinavians are also Germanic.

And one large European group at least was left out, us Finno-Ugrians.

Call me Slavic and I'll punch you.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

yo, straight up, people who complain about society being too "PC" these days are the worst. obviously there are extreme examples where people are just trying to feel personally superior and correct what people say. but i've found that generally the ones who are complaining about "JEEZ WHY'S EVERYONE SO OFFENDED THESE DAYS" are people who lack more nuanced knowledge about race, ethnicity, culture, and their historical context in the United States, as well as the ability to be generally mindful and considerate of others' feelings. then when someone says anything to refute what they're saying, they're ironically the ones who are actually getting offended by how they can't just spout off misinformed ideas.  :roll:

Greek

Latin

basque

etc.

middle east has several

arab

jewish

persian

armenian

turkish

kurdish

etc.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't intending to write a comprehensive list.

Greek

Latin

basque

etc.

middle east has several

arab

jewish

persian

armenian

turkish

kurdish

etc.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't intending to write a comprehensive list.

Yep, hence his use of etc

• Like 1

Greek

Latin

basque

etc.

middle east has several

arab

jewish

persian

armenian

turkish

kurdish

etc.

I'm Hungarian so I feel you

Okay I'm not really a social media Queen b although obviously I'm uploading year abroad photos and posting funny things once in a while, but I'm kinda sorta delighted that the uni really liked one of my pictures and reposted it, describing me as an international student and they used the hashtag "best student life".

It's actually cracking me up because it doesn't take a whole lot of digging to find out how much I hate things here sometimes

I can see that I am such a token. The band are all sending me friend requests now and promoting the picture lol

I troll in most things I do but it's still making me laugh

I think it was a bit before that even?

Goths were from nowadays Hungarian (and other nearby areas) until the Hunnic invasion and the Great Migration.

Huns lived in that area until Avars attacked.

After them came the Magyars, who the modern Hungarians are believed to be descended.

But all that area was a mess during the Great Migration, nobody knows for sure.

Also, that video of Russian formation is ridiculously simplified.

As they are our Eastern neighbours and we have been occupied by them for a long time, we are given special attention and much, MUCH more attention to Russian history than, for example, the history of the United States. Formation and first decades of the history of the USA are mentioned in pretty much like 5 pages and the history of Russia takes half the history book.

There is the thing that the town where I live in, was actually founded by the "king" (or well, I don't even know exactly, what they were called, either czars or chiefs or what) of Kievan Rus at the time.

However, the Rurik mentioned in the video, quite probably was a viking from Estonian areas, so it evens out.

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I'm working on making a "living dex" of "perfect" Pokemon... The goal is to personally catch/breed/obtain all the Pokemon myself. And my progress is terrible.

Only ~50 unique Pokemon so far. There's 721 in total.

I also am debating if obtaining a shiny version of the possible Pokemon is a worthwhile endeavor or not. I hate how the Pokedex shows shiny forms. Some of my Pokedex would have the shiny form, but most of it wouldn't! Ugh... In Pokemon Black, it may be somewhat possible to get RNGing a shiny breedable Pokemon down to a science--maybe an hour an attempt...? I wouldn't care about the stats on the shiny versions...

(On that list, I'm most proud of the Clefable/Cleffa. They were RNG'd in Pokemon Emerald, and then I had to RNG Pokemon Sapphire to get the proper TID/SID to make them shiny. The Hoenn trio is also pretty neat--had to win HeartGold twice and SoulSilver once to RNG the right TID/SID and catch them. And then there's the Dittos, caught in a German copy of Pokemon Black 2. Mmm.)

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

I [bleep]ed up lol.

I can't see Sean Paul perform next month because I already signed up to play the saxophone at Toronto fashion week.

I had to give away my ticket, because I made my friend buy one so that we could go together but since I can't go, I gave it to a friend of hers that wanted to come as well.

Woo being the token!

And it makes perfect sense for Saqs history class to be heavy on Russia and light on the US. Much more viable information. Likely why most Americans can't point to Estonia if you paid them :p

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I doubt you can even point out Germany and France.

Or anything Middle-East.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Umm, of you are meaning specifically people in this topic/sub I would say that most can. Can't speak for the general public though as teachers tell me that students have labelled Japan as a Canadian province, the one that I live in.

Or anything Middle-East.

[snip]

If you can get at least half of these right then you can talk shit about Americans and their geographic knowledge.

That comparison isn't valid.

You're comparing administrative divisions within a single country, rather than independent countries. There is little need for anyone who does not live in Germany or France or England to know the specific local governments within the larger whole, and the same holds for the United States (and its states) when it comes to German or French or English.

It should be expected to know at least the general boundaries and locations of any significant countries. It should not be expected to know the administrative divisions within these same countries.

ozXHe7P.png

Or anything Middle-East.

[snip]

If you can get at least half of these right then you can talk shit about Americans and their geographic knowledge.

You're comparing administrative divisions within a single country, rather than independent countries. There is little need for anyone who does not live in Germany or France or England to know the specific local governments within the larger whole, and the same holds for the United States (and its states) when it comes to German or French or English.

It should be expected to know at least the general boundaries and locations of any significant countries. It should not be expected to know the administrative divisions within these same countries.

Our one country is almost the same size as the entire continent of Europe. We have single states that are larger and more populated than some European countries. 

• Like 1
lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I've yet to meet anyone abroad who knows that Washington is also a state, but I'm confident that most people my age can identify at least 70-80% of all countries in Europe/North Africa, South America, North America (including states).  

tFtfA.jpg

Or anything Middle-East.

[snip]

Our one country is almost the same size as the entire continent of Europe. We have single states that are larger and more populated than some European countries.

That's irrelevant. There's cities with populations only short of California in countries like China, Japan, and India. Only a few states have any significant population, anyway. Similarly, area doesn't matter, either. Unless you can recite and locate the provinces of China, or the federal districts of Russia, or the states of Australia?

The United States is a generally a singular government like most others no matter what state-right regressives would like to think. There is no higher power governing the United States, like there is no higher power governing Germany or China. Comparing the American states (which are historically insignificant on any global scale) to countries (which are completely sovereign, and regardless of size or population, have tremendous sway historically and currently) is stupid.

I'll expand: your comparison is grossly flawed and your Americanism is showing.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Or anything Middle-East.

Why are you so mean to the Americans here, lol?

It's not very nice to be that condescending (it doesn't really look like a joke, but if I'm wrong then I apologise) - are you going to be like that when you go travelling?

Friday night exams woo (better than Saturday night I guess) on Human Physiology

Bad headache and I'm pretty mad at my bank for not giving me access to my bank account since my card was stolen a whole month ago.

I can never tell with saq if it's his demeanor in general or just towards the u.s.

Most people are biased in favour of their own country....in my experience it is particularly bad with Europeans and Americans.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti