Today...

Leoo

So going to be picking up a DId tomorrow in preparation for an upcoming trip and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for games. Thinking on a cheapish pokemon game and maybe a fire emblem game but if anyone has suggestions for something with decent depth and play time please share.

Weather has been stupid past 3 or 4 days. Raining constantly. And i'm not talking the drizzle we usually get, this was full on tropical-rainstorm type stuff. Even hailed a bit earlier too. I really dislike rain in this country because half the roads become inaccessible, especially if your car is low. 

Been awake and up and running for 24 hours now, of which I've been a full 15 mins at my house switching on my suit.

Had surgeon's appointment at 8 AM, then baked cookies for girls for Women's Day for hours, then organized the event during which we gifted those cookies. Then came choir practice.

Then I visited my girl, brought her some flowers and cookies and stuff.

And finally, starting from 11 PM I got the night shift at work today.

Managed with just one energy drink and I am not falling apart right now yet (probably will in 15 mins though).

At least I am free until Friday now. Which happens to be my birthday :P

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Noxx you live in Qatar right? What's that like? Obviously in the west we hear a ton of negative things especially with all the World Cup publicity.

Well... to be honest, it's a tough question for me to answer. I feel like most of the negative things you'll hear on the media are things that have little or no impact on my life. So to me living here would be the same as living almost anywhere else apart from a few minor changes. My life here is the same as it would be in a country like the US, for example. Only difference is i would most likely not be able to have such an "extravagant" lifestyle. The things that do affect me are things i've either adjusted to, or they have such a small impact that they're not noticeable. Kind of a vague question though, so i'm not really sure how to answer.

Weather has been stupid past 3 or 4 days. Raining constantly. And i'm not talking the drizzle we usually get, this was full on tropical-rainstorm type stuff. Even hailed a bit earlier too. I really dislike rain in this country because half the roads become inaccessible, especially if your car is low. 

I had this yesterday except no flooding since we got all sorts of canals despite the drought

There's just no drainage here, so whenever it rains even a small amount, there's water all over the place for days. The roads aren't build for rain either, so they start forming sink holes. You need to be so careful when you drive in the rain here, cause you never know if the road you took this morning will still be there in the afternoon.

There's early voting in NC, so I went to an early voting location and voted in the Democratic primaries. Went incredibly smoothly. Range from content to excited for the choices I made.

Out of the 30 or so voters I encountered in the 10 minutes I was there, I was by far the youngest by perhaps 30 years. I bet voter participation among youth will be incredibly low, like it was in the local elections here. It's really terrible...

A young voter could pull up the ballot they'll see from the state voter website, search for the candidates, review their policies, and come to a reasonably informed decision in an hour or two. The early voting (nearly two weeks) also means they can vote on their leisure. North Carolina is anti-voter, definitely, but the anti-voter regulation would not affect most youth voters that dramatically. It's complete apathy and disregard for civil duty. What a world.

(This was yesterday. I went to bed early and forgot to post. So to be on topic... Today, I'm about to wash dishes! Yep, very interesting.)

I went to Nebraska's Democratic caucus last weekend, and there was an insane number of people my age there. Like, hundreds of them, probably. It's a little biased, because I'm in the district where the college is, so probably a lot of the people who live on campus were registered for that area, but the young voter turnout was pretty good in the district my friend went to a few miles away as well.

Though, yes, you're right, it could absolutely be better.

We obviously need to make a way to vote online without having the results able to be manipulated.

That would be terrible. Voting legitimacy is incredibly important and the security implications of an online voting infrastructure on both the front-end and back-end is simply too wide an area for attackers, domestic and foreign. To be brutally honest, of all the agencies, only the NSA could potentially be trusted with such a task, but elections (and citizen security, especially) are not their responsibility.

The only data I truly trust on the internet would be data I encrypted offline with an incredibly long key (at least 256 bits of entropy) using open-source and secure software with a tried-and-true encryption method (such as GnuPG with AES), and even then I wouldn't trust the reliability of said data over long periods of time (e.g., data corruption). Even my own computer has full-disk encryption (with GELI and an equally complex key) and whenever I do not have immediate access to my computer I turn it off (if I leave my home, if I go to sleep, if I'm outside for more than a minute or two...). In honesty, I feel I can only trust myself, and sometimes that's difficult.

ozXHe7P.png

There's early voting in NC, so I went to an early voting location and voted in the Democratic primaries. Went incredibly smoothly. Range from content to excited for the choices I made.

Out of the 30 or so voters I encountered in the 10 minutes I was there, I was by far the youngest by perhaps 30 years. I bet voter participation among youth will be incredibly low, like it was in the local elections here. It's really terrible...

A young voter could pull up the ballot they'll see from the state voter website, search for the candidates, review their policies, and come to a reasonably informed decision in an hour or two. The early voting (nearly two weeks) also means they can vote on their leisure. North Carolina is anti-voter, definitely, but the anti-voter regulation would not affect most youth voters that dramatically. It's complete apathy and disregard for civil duty. What a world.

(This was yesterday. I went to bed early and forgot to post. So to be on topic... Today, I'm about to wash dishes! Yep, very interesting.)

I went to Nebraska's Democratic caucus last weekend, and there was an insane number of people my age there. Like, hundreds of them, probably. It's a little biased, because I'm in the district where the college is, so probably a lot of the people who live on campus were registered for that area, but the young voter turnout was pretty good in the district my friend went to a few miles away as well.

We obviously need to make a way to vote online without having the results able to be manipulated.

That would be terrible. Voting legitimacy is incredibly important and the security implications of an online voting infrastructure on both the front-end and back-end is simply too wide an area for attackers, domestic and foreign. To be brutally honest, of all the agencies, only the NSA could potentially be trusted with such a task, but elections (and citizen security, especially) are not their responsibility.

The only data I truly trust on the internet would be data I encrypted offline with an incredibly long key (at least 256 bits of entropy) using open-source and secure software with a tried-and-true encryption method (such as GnuPG with AES), and even then I wouldn't trust the reliability of said data over long periods of time (e.g., data corruption). Even my own computer has full-disk encryption (with GELI and an equally complex key) and whenever I do not have immediate access to my computer I turn it off (if I leave my home, if I go to sleep, if I'm outside for more than a minute or two...). In honesty, I feel I can only trust myself, and sometimes that's difficult.

I figure that if we can have bank accounts online without everything going to hell then we should be able to have online elections as well without too much trouble. If we give every registered voter a unique ID key, then the most we have to worry about is stolen ID's right? Fake votes wouldn't be able to happen because you wouldn't be able to vote with a non-existent key. Multiple votes with the same key would be easy to catch and prevent.

Really this is the best way I can think of to increase voter turnout.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Whelp, we've had online voting for nearly 10 years now..

ID card is the thing.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Here is an excellent video on why the concept of online voting is fundamentally flawed:

I really can't do his points justice with my own summary. It's worth watching for sure. He runs through a lot of points that a lot of people don't know exist.

I figure that if we can have bank accounts online without everything going to hell then we should be able to have online elections as well without too much trouble. If we give every registered voter a unique ID key, then the most we have to worry about is stolen ID's right? Fake votes wouldn't be able to happen because you wouldn't be able to vote with a non-existent key. Multiple votes with the same key would be easy to catch and prevent.

Your bank account isn't remotely secure

It would be trivial for anyone you know in real life to access your bank account if they are 1) malicous and 2) remotely capable with the darker areas security. Your example is terrible.

Whelp, we've had online voting for nearly 10 years now..

ID card is the thing.

I'm sorry to say, but rigging Estonia's elections is a pointless task. They are insignificant.

ozXHe7P.png

I'm sorry to say, but rigging Estonia's elections is a pointless task. They are insignificant.

I doubt they're insignificant to people in Estonia.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I doubt they're insignificant to people in Estonia.

As a worthwhile target for an actor with the capabilities and motivation, yes. Unless there's some hacking group or state-funded agency dangerously bored, I guess.

ozXHe7P.png

It would be trivial for anyone you know in real life to access your bank account if they are 1) malicous and 2) remotely capable with the darker areas security. Your example is terrible.

I know that. My point was that millions of bank accounts remain intact despite not being 100% secure. Oh well, I'm not really in a spot to be able to watch Randox's video so I'll give that a look when I get home. I'd like to hear some other suggestions for increasing voter participation though.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I know that. My point was that millions of bank accounts remain intact despite not being 100% secure. Oh well, I'm not really in a spot to be able to watch Randox's video so I'll give that a look when I get home. I'd like to hear some other suggestions for increasing voter participation though.

Vote-by-mail is probably the best band-aid solution.

A proper solution in decreasing, and eliminating, voter apathy would require incredible social, economic, and political changes that no one wants.

ozXHe7P.png

They remain intact because nobody cares. There are better ways to make money with cyber crime. There's a pretty strong incentive to rig an election, though

The one good thing about trump winning and subsequently ruining the US is that people will actually want to vote in elections thereafter

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Ah, the Drumpfinator app is paying off :lol:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/drumpfinator/hcimhbfpiofdihhdnofbdlhjcmjopilp?hl=en

Turns all discussions about trump from groaners into chuckle fests (every time you guys say trump, I see drumpf).

Thank you for reminding me that I should have downloaded this a week ago